Showing posts from April, 2015

Riverside, north bank, east of the Tower. Wapping

Riverside along the north bank. Wapping. The posting below covers only the south east portion of this square. The south west portion is Wapping Post to the south Bermondsey Post to the east Shadwell - Ratcliffe  and Rotherhithe, Surrey Canal Entrance Post to the west Tooley Street Brewhouse Lane Swan Brewhouse – after which the road is named - was owned by Edward Pickard – the company called Roberts, Pickard & Maitland in 1794. It took most of the south side of the street. In 1809 it was purchased by Combe, Delafield and Co. – and following many other changes 200 years later it is Watneys. Sugar Refiners – In 1788 they were G.Lear, William Handasyde and Peter Thellusan who had premises consisting of a sugar house a scum house and a dwelling house. This combination of ownership points to liaisons and finance from the elite of London politics, and investment in the late 18th. Paton and Charles, soap, candle and perfume makers . They were based in Bow Lane in 1880 when t

Riverside - north bank east of the Tower- Wapping London Docks

Riverside on the north bank east of the Tower. Wapping This relates only to the south west corner of the square.  The south east of the square is Wapping Riverside and dockland area under intense development pressure. Riverside wharves once trading and manufacturing areas are now entirely 20th housing, some in converted industrial buildings - apart from a small park achieved through local community pressure. The area includes the site of the London Dock, infilled and used for modern housing. Some features remain. It also includes the eastern end of the St. Katharine's Dock, now a marina surrounded by housing. Surrounding sites include that of a brewery. There are the remains of earlier settlements, including churches and social support organisations dating back to the 17th.   Post to the east Rotherhithe, Surrey canal entrance  and Shadwell and Ratcliffe Post to the south Bermondsey Post to the west Tooley Street Burr Close This was previously Burr Street which covered

Railway from London Bridge to Gravesend. Gravesend

Railway line from London Bridge to Gravesend The line runs north eastwards into Gravesend Station An inland area of this old riverside town.  It includes much 20th and 19th century housing but also the sites of several entertainment areas built for 19th visitors to what was then a resort. This includes Windmill Hill - now an area of open space in the middle of the town. Otherwise the area includes infrastructure and housing for a busy urban area with a large Sikh population. Post to the west Perry Street Post to the north Gravesend Albert Place This row of houses curved from Wrotham Road into Windmill Street. It was named after the Prince Consort. All this was now demolished for the Civic Centre.  The street name still applies to the area in front of the Civic Centre, now part of a pedestrianised square. Arthur Street Public Assistance Relief Office . This was next to No.19 and provided a front office for the workhouse 30 The Nine Elms beer house. Beer house which opene