Showing posts from March, 2012

Pymmes Brook - Arnos Grove

Pymmes Brook Pymmes Brook continues to flow south eastwards and is met by Bounds Green Brook from the south west A suburban area east of New Southgate it is crossed by the North Circular which changes route slightly here. The non-North Circular section of Bowes Road has shops and public facilities including one of Holden's most famous stations on the Piccadilly Line which runs north:south here. The northern part of the area is covered by Arnos Park, with a viaduct on the underground line crossing Pymmes Brook and some remains of the original line of the 17th century New River. Post to the south Bounds Green Post to the north Old Southgate Post to the east Broomfield Park Arnos Grove Named from an estate called ‘Arnoldes Grave’ in the mid 16 th .   The Arnold family is noted in documents from the 14 th. In the 1920s the Arnos Grove estate was owned by Lord Inverforth who wanted to develop it – and the result, Arnos Grove and surrounding roads, emerged from interaction

Bounds Green Brook - Bounds Green

Bounds Green Brook Bounds Green Brook flows north eastwards TQ 29793 91467 Suburban area crossed which lies south of the North Circular Road and which is crossed north:south by the main line railway from Kings Cross.  It includes a site of Middlesex University and a number of large defunct industrial sites, as well as some open space and the remains of an outdoor baths Post to the west Colney Hatch Post to the north Arnos Grove Post to the south Alexandra Park Post to the east Bowes Park Blake Road Glencairn Bowls Club St Martin of Porres Roman Catholic School. This is a Primary School with a part-time nursery. The school opened in 1972 and the nursery in 1980. St. Martin was a Peruvian saint. The site was previously tennis courts. Bounds Green The name Bounds Green seems to date from the early 17th and Bounds is known to have been a local family name Bounds Green Road Middlesex University . The University site in Bounds Green Road home of the Engineering and Inf

Bounds Green Brook - Colney Hatch

Bounds Green Brook Bounds Green Brook flows eastwards. The stream had begun as Strawberry Vale Brook. It is met by Pages Lane Brook from the south, and by another stream flowing north from the golf course TQ 28074 91264 Suburban area adjacent to the North Circular Road with the old mental hospital converted to housing Post to the west Coppetts Wood Post to the south Muswell Hill Post to the east Bounds Green Bobby Moore Way Powerleague Barnet – basically football Cromwell Road Alexandra Arms . Closed and now flats. Pillar box by A. Handyside & Co. Ltd. Derby & London.   At Britannia Foundry Later E VII R cypher made 1901 – 1904. Now gone. Friern Barnet Sewage Works . Closed in 1963 Friern Bridge Retail Park Warehouse retail units and Tesco Princess Park Manor The Asylum was on the area of Hollick Wood.   Friern Hospital – this square covers only the southern half. Friern Hospital This mental hospital operated between 1851 and 1993 and was built to ea

Pages Hill Brook - Muswell Hill

Pages Hill Brook Pages Hill Brook rises in this area and flows north towards Bounds Green Brook Muswell Stream rises in this area from a number of sources and flows north eastwards Post to the west Coldfall Woods Post to the north Colney Hatch Asylum Post to the east Alexandra Park Post to the south Muswell Hill Albion Avenue The road falls steeply downhill westwards to the valley of the Pages Hill Brook St.Peter le Poer .   This was founded in 1866 as a mission and in 1884 a temporary church was built until a permanent structure was built in 1909 by Caroe & Passmore , funded by money from the sale of the redundant church of St. Peter-le-Poer, Old Broad Street, in the City of London.   It is a red brick building “with a bushy eyebrow effect” Inside are furnishings from the old City church including an ample alabaster font c. 1873, and a curved pulpit with carving and twisted balusters, probably dating from the rebuilding of the City church in 1788-92.   Stations of

Strawberry Vale Brook - Coppetts Wood

Strawberry Vale Brook/Bounds Green Brook The Brook flows north and east and it is met by the Coppetts Brook from the south. TQ 26650 91458 Suburban area with some woodland and defence structures Post to the south Coldfall Woods Post to the east Colney Hatch Asylum Colney Hatch Tudor route to the North. This was a hamlet in 1409 and the hatch referred to may have been a gate into Hollick Wood or to a sluice on the brook Coppetts Lane British Road Services depot site . This was a parcels depot and opened in 1976 and then sold off by Thatcher. Formerly a depot for Manchester based hauliers, Fisher Renwick. Cemetery Gates – modern, low brick entrance area Strawberry Vale Brook enters a culvert near the cemetery gates and heads under the North Circular Road. Coppett's Wood, Remnant of Finchley Common on a hilltop - and rumoured to be a pagan site.   Ancient Woodland with coppiced Oak, hazel, hornbeam and sweet chestnut.   This area was once wood pasture, a way of t

Strawberry Vale Brook Coldfall Woods

Bounds Green Brook/Strawberry Vale Brook The brook rises in this area and flows eastwards Coppets Brook flows northwards TQ 28026 90311 Post to the north Coppetts Wood Post to the east Muswell Hill Post to the south East Finchley Suburban area with open space, including cemetaries and woodland Coldfall Avenue Coldfall Primary School . Local authority school opened in 1928. The two-storey building, originally took all ages but by the 1950s it was for primary and infant children only Coldfall Wood , Coldfall probably means ‘clearing in which charcoal was burned'. Until the 20th the woodland covered a much wider area but the southern section was felled and excavated for gravel followed by housing. The remainder of the wood was bought in 1930 by Hornsey Council. The area is marked by an ancient wood bank on the western side. The wood is dominated by oak but there is also coppiced Hornbeam and other trees including wild service. Coppets or Coldfall Wood Brook flo

Pymmes Brook - Old Southgate

Pymmes Brook Pymmes Brook continues to flow south east Post to the west Brunswick Park Post to the south Arnos Grove Arnos Grove Centre road of upmarket Minchenden Estate developed in 1939 for Lord Inverforth, to high standards at the insistence of the local authority. Duchess Pond.   This was drained in 1925 and lay at the top end of Arnos Grove adjacent to The Green Balaams Lane Cottages originally built in 1792 and rebuilt in 1911 with modern weatherboarding. Baird Memorial Homes built in 1894 and, named after the first Vicar Of Christ Church. Plaque on the front. Baird was the Vicar Blagden’s Lane Named after Robert Blagden a local land surveyor who had a school in 107 High Street Minchenden Lodge . This is said to be where Queen Victoria and Prince Albert stayed when opening Colney Hatch Hospital. It was once owned by the landlord of the Cherry Tree Inn who used material salvaged from the demolition of Minchenden House in its construction. It later became a ho

Pymmes Brook - Brunswick Park

Pymmes Brook Pymmes Brook flows south east TQ 28134 92850 Land around the Great Northern Cemetery and the Great Northern Railway with its cemetery station.  Standard Telephones and Cables had a big works here Post to the north Osidge Post to the east Old Southgate Brunswick Avenue This was originally called Black Horse Lane. 2a Trendy House for Trendy Trainers International Brunswick Crescent Haynes Crescent built on the site of Brunswick Park Junior Mixed and Infants School Brunswick Park The area was developed in late 19 th with some speculative housing in the 1930s although some open land remained. Brunswick Park Gardens Housing from the 1970s built on some of the cemetery area following clearance, Brunswick Park Road This was previously called Barnet Lane. Brunswick Park Health Centre.   Burnt down in 2010 Brunswick Park Primary School Waterfall Walk through public open space on the site of the old sewage works with Pymmes Brook running through it. S