Pymmes Brook - Osidge

Pymmes Brook
Pymmes Brook flows south east

Post to the west Oakleigh Park
Post to the south Brunswick Park

Avenue Road
Hollybush House Church Army Hostel – this site is now modern housing

Brunswick Park Road
Osidge Library

Chase Side
Salcombe ‘Preparatory’ school. The school dates from 1916 and was initially in Hornsey for "well-to-do" children. It then moved to Avenue Road.  In 1917 during the zeppelin raids the school was moved to a staff member’s country house called Salcombe House. In 1990 they were taken over and again in 2004 and other sited acquired.

East Walk
Flanks a green area along Pymmes Brook

Hampden Square
Traffic roundabout with shops
Osidge Arms Pub

Hampden Way
Hampden Way School

Knoll Drive
Monkfrith School – one of the schools with architecture that made Hertfordshire County Council famous after the Second World War.  Built 1949-50 by their Architect's Department and it makes use of a modified form of the Hills 8-ft 3-in. steel-framed system

The name means ‘hedge belonging to man called Osa’.  It is a Suburb in an old village on the edge of Pymmes Brook. It was first recorded in 1176 in a letter from Henry II to the Abbot of St. Albans about the Abbott’s pigs. The woods supplied the wood to burn heretics with.  The estate was eventually sold after the death of Thomas Lipton in 1931 and was developed by Hugh Davies

Osidge Lane
Originally called Blind Lane.
East Barnet Scout Group – scout hut for 5th Barnet Scouts
Veterans Hall and community centre

Parkside Gardens
Pymmes Brook Bridge
Oakhill Park Golf - 9 hole pitch and put course.
Lancelot Gardens.  These were the result of work by Lancelot Hasluck who was born in Enfield in with a family investment in Stratford.  Lancelot was a member of East Barnet Valley Urban District Council for 40 years. He realised that almshouses were needed for married couples and he transferred Stratford property to a trust to fund these on three acres of Eversley estate land next to Oak Hill Park.  However because of falling land values through bombing in Stratford the first six houses were not built until 1951 but they were followed by others in 1967, 1970 and 1987. The Stratford estate was eventually sold
37 plaque to Lancelot Hasluck
32 Hasluck Lodge opened on the 75th anniversary of the founding of the Trust as a community base and offices. On one of its walls is a copy of the only known photograph of Lancelot Hasluck.”

West Walk
Flanks a green area along Pymmes Brook

Source material for this section
Pevsner & Cherry Buildings of England London North
Hasluck Trust web site
Salcombe School web site
John Field Place Names of Greater London


Popular posts from this blog

Bromley by Bow

South Norwood

River Lea/Bow Creek Canning Town