Sunday, 29 June 2014

River Tillingbourne. Chilworth

River Tillingbourne
The Tillingbourne flows south westwards in two parallel streams.
TQ 03884 47954

Tremendously interesting area on the outskirts of Guildford. The remains of a vast armaments factory disguised in woodlands and water ways.  Some other milling related remains and also remains of Second World War Defence structures

Post to the north Postford Mill
Post to the west Chilworth

Chilworth Road
Opened in 1876 and cuts across the end of Postford Pond
Postford House. This was built as Postford Hill by Charles Ball in 1796. He was one of a family of paper makers involved in the industry locally.  It was later the home of William Magnay wholesale stationer and Lord Mayor of London in 1844 and a number of subsequent wealthy residents. It was used as a hospital in the Great   War. In 1956 a purpose-built shed housed a model railway layout.
Postford House Mill. This mill was built by the paper making Mangays and is still standing near the entrance to the drive in the grounds of the house where it powered a saw mill. It is on the leat from Postford Brook which also served an earlier Twist Mill but is thought to be on a different site.

Dorking Road
Lockner Farm. Riding School and Livery stables. The farm has several old barns, farmhouse and associated cottages. Surrey Gliding Club is said to have begun here
War Memorial. This is a plain cross on a square plinth on a three-stepped octagonal plinth. A down-pointing bronze sword hangs on the front of the cross and there are bronze plaques attached to the faces of the plinth. There is an inscription on the top step.

Lockner Farm Road
Wet deciduous woodland has developed over the site of the gunpowder factory.
Hop Gardens. These were planted near the Postford Upper Mills site before the cordite works was built
Brown prismatic powder works. This dated from the 1880s and eventually spread up the north bank of the Tillingbourne.  It was set up by a specially formed Chilworth Gunpowder Company
Cordite factory. This covered the area south of the Tillingbourne and eventually to the Dorking Road.  This Smokeless Powder Factory dated from the 1880s and was German owned, until in 1901 Vickers had a 40% ownership and it became British owned in 1915. 
Admiralty Cordite Factory built in 1915 to increase cordite production and a few buildings were also added to the 1890s Smokeless Powder Factory. This factory was laid out in fields to the north of Lockner Farm and to the west of Postford Mill
Tramway. This single track, manually operated tramway, travelled round the works and then to a siding at Chilworth Station, agreed in 1888 with the South Eastern Railway Company. This was to transport coal needed to fire steam boilers and connected the various factory buildings. Most of the wooden sleepers and iron rails have been removed, and the course of the tramway can be seen as low linear earthworks, but some stretches of track are believed to survive in the eastern areas.
Tin Town. After the factory closed in 1920 buildings constructed from, or roofed by corrugated iron, were used as house which gave rise to the local name of “Tin Town”. The last of these buildings was eventually abandoned in 1963
Pillbox. Second World War stop line pillbox apparently dug into the earthwork traverse of a former factory building.
Anti tank block from the Second World War on the Lockner Farm Road.

Lockner Holt
Castellated house, now divided built in 1860 by Henry Woodyer for the Duke of Northumberland. It is in Bargate stone with a circular tower by the entrance. It is now divided into three dwellings

Terrace of 5 brick houses for employees at gunpowder works; now one house. 1885 with tile hung walls
A test range was established to the north of Longfrey.  This is a hollow which probably housed the target.

Mill Lane
This is the old road between Chilworth and Albury and follows the line of the mill dam round Postford Pond.
Postford Pond.  This, and Waterloo Pond to the east, were built in the 18th as part of the development of the Upper Mills. It receives water from the Tilllingbourne via a leat which has bypassed Waterloo Pond to the east and also from the Postford Brook to the south.  It is separated from the Waterloo Pond by a huge curved earth dam
Anti-tank blocks, which have been removed, barricaded Mill Lane

Pine View Close
Site of Pine View Farm

Railway Line
Topiary memorial in the shape of a peacock to a railway accident in 1900 to a goods train where a railway worker was killed.

Sampleoak Lane
Chilworth Station. The Reading, Guildford and Reigate Railway opened the station in 1849 as "Chilworth and Albury".
The footbridge was removed to east Somerset railway in 1978

On the southern side of the valley the Tillingbourne has been divided and the southern diversion it “New Cut” which probably dates from the 1650s. It was designed as the header leat, providing water to power the mills. It was also used by punts which carried products around the factory site. It has been narrowed by the Environment Agency to stop silting.

Vera’s Path
Footbridge - the path bridges New Cut with a utilitarian footbridge. Directly adjacent to the east of this is the remains of a swing bridge built in 1888, this bridge carried a branch of the works’ tramway to Chilworth and Albury station. Constructed of part timber and part iron, it pivoted to allow punts to pass through
Mound – there are a number of these to protect against blast and they are of corrugated iron and earth.
Incorporating mill buildings of the 1880s strong walls at the back and sides and a flimsy roof. Levers for a system of drenching the walls if there was an explosion. 
Pond formed in the 1980s

Chilworth Station. Wikipedia. Web site
Crocker. Damnable Inventions.
English Heritage. Web site
Guildford Council. Web site
Haveron. Industrial History of Guildford and its Borough
North Downs Line. Wikipedia. Web site.
Pastscape. Web site
War Memorials Online. Web site

Saturday, 28 June 2014

River Tillingbourne. Postford Mill

River Tillingbourne
The Tillingbourne flows westwards, and divides into two, both flowing south westwards, There are also associated mill leats

Post to the south Chilworth

Colyers Hangar
Colyers Hangar. This is a Site of Special Scientific Interest. It is on the south-facing escarpment of the Greensand Ridge, on St. Martha's Hill. It includes Ancient Woodland and an area of heath land. It is of particular interest for the diversity of the woodland which results from the geological diversity. Coarse sands in the upper slopes support pedunculate oak/birch/hazel woodland. The middle slopes support an ash and maple on light sandy soils and material leached from an outcrop of Bargate Stone. On the lower slopes at the spring line is alder. These last two are nationally rare.  It is said to be called ‘collier’s’ because of workers there who supplied charcoal to the gunpowder industry along the riverside below  - and alder wood was particularly suitable and often planted for the purpose.

Guildford Lane
Pillbox at the junction with the North Downs Way.  The pillboxes are on the Second World War stop line and were constructed by Mowlems to their design of a quickly constructed circular pillbox using metal shuttering
Pillbox in field.
Keepers Cottage

Lidwell Copse
Lid Well and stream to the Tillingbourne

Mill Lane
Mill – the mill here, at the northernmost point of Mill Lane has had a variety of names and uses.  The site here is on the parish boundary.  The Upper Mill, Waterloo Pond and Postford Pond are not in this square.
Lower Mill.  A mill here probably originates with the 'Kings Mill' in 1636  ie it was funded with money from the Crown.  A new gunpowder mill was set up with six incorporating mills on the site of Postford Mill in 1677 by Cordwell and Collins.  Sir Polycarpus Wharton, an existing gunpowder maker, was instructed to sort out problems with the gunpowder milling complex at Chilworth, including this mill the derelict remains of which appear on a survey of 1728.  The mill appears to have been abandoned in the early 18th.   The Upper Mill of this time is on the square to the east.
Postford Mill. This is the site of what was then Postford Lower Mill on Postford Pond. The Upper Mill is to the east in the next square. The Lower Mill was leased as a paper mill in 1809 by Charles Ball.  They made paper for banknotes and became bankrupt and the mill was for sale by 1821. They were taken over by Magnay and Sons, the mill was refurbished and by the mid 1830s was producing paper and a Foudrinier machine was installed. In the 1840s it was said to be the principal producer of paper in Surrey.   By the 1859s a series of operators went through many financial difficulties. The site became a flock mill but in 1886 there was a serious fire.  In 1909 the site was taken over by Charles Botting.
Bottings Mill. In 1910 Charles Botting built a turbine powered roller mill for animal feed.  This closed in 1991. There was an associated fish farm. A cast iron mill wheel from Clandon Park was installed here by the Surrey Industrial History Group.  The mill buildings were however demolished for the posh housing now on site.
Postford Mill Cottages. The original cottages were converted from the cordite press house of the Cordite factory. They were replaced by the present cottages in the 198-s.
Mill Reach – posh new offices and housing on the site of the works associated with the mill. Various ‘keep out’ notices.
Pill box to the west of the mill in the inner angle of a leat. This was part of the Second World War stop line.
Brown prismatic powder works. This dated from the 1880s and eventually spread up the north bank of the Tillingbourne.  It was set up by a specially formed Chilworth Gunpowder Company.  A row of six steam powered incorporating mills were built in 1885 and conserved by the local authority in the 1990s and they lie along the riverbank.  They have a German maker's mark of 'Burbach 1884'.  A row of brick press houses remain north of the Tillingbourne.
Cordite factory. This covered the area south of the Tillingbourne and eventually to the Dorking Road.  This Smokeless Powder Factory dated from the 1880s and was German owned, until in 1901 Vickers had a 40% ownership and it became British owned in 1915.  This was extended into a second factory to the south for the Admiralty in the Great War. A barrel roofed solvent recovery store remains.

White Lane
White Lane Farm. 18th farmhouse which is timber framed with red brick cladding on the front.
Barn. This has the date of 1783 on a beam. It is timber framed on a whitewashed and painted rubble plinth

British Listed Buildings. Web site
Colyers Hanger. Wikipedia. Web site
Crocker. Damnable Inventions
Gunpowder Mills Study Group Newsletter
Guildford Borough Council. Website
Haveron. Industrial History of Guildford
Surrey Local History Council. Surrey History

Friday, 27 June 2014

Gospel Oak to Barking Railway. Little Ilford

Gospel Oak to Barking Railway,
The Gospel Oak to Barking Railway line runs south eastwards from Woodgrange Park Station towards Barking

The Great Eastern Railway from Liverpool Street to Ilford runs north eastwards from Manor Park Station and onwards

Post to the west Manor Park
Post to the north Aldersbrook
Post to the east Little Ilford
Post to the south East Ham Pashet

Bluebell Avenue
New housing on what was the site of the Woodgrange Park Station goods yard and entered via a path from Warwick Avenue which goes through the old area of the line and under the main road
Woodgrange Park Community Centre

Browning Road
Little Ilford School. Secondary School. Founded in 1957. The site was previously used for Rectory Manor School, a local authority girls' school.
Sri Murugan Temple. The decorations follow Tamil traditions.  The start of the temple was in 1975 when a group of Hindus from the Tamil community in London got together to plan and fund raise.  A programme of religious meetings and social events became regular features.  A number of sites were considered but, because so many members lived in East London, this site was acquired in 1978 for a temple to be constructed in traditional style.   It was opened in 1984.  The central granite shrine belongs to Lord Muruga, one of the two sons of Parvathi and Shiva. His brother, Ganesh, is on his right, and father Shiva on his left. Lord Muruga is the sole supreme lord who holds the three aspects of the holy trinity, Brahma, Shiva and Vishnu. The shrines are carved from black granite shipped from India. The building follows a design drawn by architect Sri Muthiah Sthapathi and chief priest, Sri Naganathsivam Kurukka and architect Terry Freeman worked on the construction with a team of Indian experts

Carlyle Road
St. Saviour's church. This was built in 1894–5, where an iron church had stood earlier. It was a Reformed Episcopal Church building. In 1905 it, or an adjoining building, was taken over by the Salvation Army, who remained there until 1920.  The East Ham, Manor Park, and Ilford District Synagogue was consecrated here in 1900 and rebuilt in 1927. In 1947 the synagogue took over the adjoining building as a youth centre.  It closed in 1986 and the buildings are now the Gurdwara and community centre.
Shri Guru Ravidass Gurdwara. The members of this mission believe in Shri Guru Ravidas Ji as their prophet and revere him as Guru, the embodiment of God. The devotees are known as Ravidassia’s.  In 1965 members celebrated the 558th birth anniversary of Shri Guru Ravidas Ji Maharaj decided to hold regular gatherings to worship and learn the teachings. In 1985, the Sabha purchased a premises formerly used as a Synagogue in Carlyle Road and in 1987 also purchased the neighbouring building for use as a community centre.. Unfortunately there was then a split over doctrine and many of the congregation left.

Church Road
31 small hall which was used by CARE Newham and a number of other voluntary sector organisations. 
2a Church Road Masjid Mosque. This is in a large building which looks industrial
East Ham Electricity Substation. This was built in Church Road in 1931 for the East Ham Municipal Electricity Department. It had two 1,000 kw. motor converters by the English Electric Co., Ltd., a five- panel Whitehead type E.H.T installed.
School.  In 1865 a National day-school was built on glebe land with grants from the government and the National Society and this school was extended in subsequent years. In 1887, when a school board was formed, it was immediately taken over and the children moved elsewhere although and from 1901 it were used for church purposes. In 1951 it was sold to East Ham borough council which demolished them and built flats now called Leamington Close
30 Clinic. This opened in 1936 providing maternity and children's welfare services and dental care. The building was demolished and the E12 Health Centre opened on the site in 2004.
E12 Health Centre GP based clinic opened in 2004
30a Royal British Legion. This club has now closed but the local branch of the Legion still operates from here.
121 Darus Salaam Mosque. Madrassa and welfare centre
56-62 Church Road Studios. This is in the buildings of what was the Advance Laundry. Advance was a national company with many laundries and services. They were a subsidiary of British Electric Traction itself an associate of Rentokil.  They were eventually merged with Initial Towel Services which still operates under Rentokil.
78 Sri Murgan Temple, the entrance is in Browning Road
90 Avenue Pub. This is closed and is now the site of the Hindu Temple. The building is still there.
Manor Park Youth Institute 1952-1956
St Winefride’s Roman Catholic Primary school. The school dates from 1909 but has since been enlarged.
St Mary. The church is now part of the parish of St. Michael and All Angels which is in Romford Road. St. Mary’s is a tiny medieval church in an ancient churchyard. Excavation has uncovered Romano-British pottery, and posthole evidence of a Saxon church. The doors and windows of the current church are Norman and the walls are a mixture of rag stone rubble, flint, chalk, and Roman tile, owing to the lack of natural stone in the area. The nave could well be older than the estimated late 12th century. There is a timber bell turret.  The interior has a Georgian character with cream-painted plastered walls, grained panels of painted wood, and Hanoverian Royal arms.  The Organ is later 19th. There is a brick Lethieullier Chapel with family monuments and eulogies and many other monuments in the main body of the church.
Churchyard. This is enclosed by a row of blackened brick kiln wasters.  There are several railed chest tombs and headstones with the device of a soul borne by angels with two identified war graves.
St Stephen. Roman Catholic Church founded in 1918 and built in 1924.  The church is by D.R. Buries & Buries, steel-framed, faced in grey brick, with a pinnacle spire.

Eighth Avenue
Gloy Works. Gloy glue and other adhesive pastes was made here by A. Wilme Collier & Co in 1907 – this was later Associated Adhesives.

Fifth Avenue
Chancery Court. New build flats on the site of a vehicle repair business. Uses themes relating to 16th costume in design because of the adjacent school named for local landowner Sir John Heron.

Herbert Road
Wesley House. This relates to the church adjacent to it in Romford Road. I was built following the amalgamation of two Methodist groups here in 1934 and was built with money from the sale of a church in Romford Road as a Sunday school and institute.  It dates from 1937 and was designed by R.J.L. Slater. Its severe exterior hides internal spaces with provision for play schools and functions and an oak-panelled chapel upstairs.

High Street North
The road is called White Post Lane on earlier maps
524 Manor Park Community Centre. This was formerly Rehoboth Strict Baptist Chapel. This began in 1830 with a group from Stepney. This church was built in 1907 add a new school room added in1928. The church closed in the mid-1970s and the building converted into Manor Park Community Centre.
500 Revival House – this is a Kenyan church group.  The Capstone Church is also at this address.  It seems previously to have been the Manor Park Constitutional Club, who went into liquidation in 2002.
501 Royal Regency Banqueting Hall. This was the Coronation Electric Theatre which opened in 1911 designed by architect Stanley Burwood and operated by the Fredericks Circuit. It closed in 1920 to be enlarged by Clifford A. Aish and re-opened as the New Coronation Cinema in 1921.  It was decorated in flamboyant style - “unusually lavish” with full stage facilities, an organ and a cafe. It was owned by Abraham’s Suburban Super Cinemas Ltd. until 1929 when it was taken over by Associated British Cinemas. It was hen wired for sound and a Compton 3Manual/8Ranks organ was installed. It closed in 1968 and was converted into a Mecca Bingo Club painted in a lurid colour-scheme. Bingo closed in 1985 and it was converted into a snooker club which remained open until 2008. In 2009, the building it became the Royal Regency and the outside has been re-painted and inside the original ceiling and decorations have been restored.
Salisbury Primary School. This was opened as Manor Park Board School in 1893. In 1924 it was renamed Salisbury and reorganised. Since 1945 it has been for juniors and infants and is now a primary school.
495 Building which was originally used by the Territorial Army but which has been used by Newham Council and become part of the school to the rear.
454 Manor Park Christian Centre. The church is part of the Evangelical Alliance and includes a Tamil Church. The building was originally Manor Park Tabernacle, a Baptist church.  In 1889 there were meetings in a local school and a shop. In 1897 the church bought five plots of land on the corner of High Street North opened an iron church there. In 1906 a larger church was built on adjoining land and - Sunday School Halls followed in 1925. The church was affected by Second World War bomb damage and the Sunday School Hall was used by the local authority until 1953. Membership figures dropped and the church withdrew from the Baptist Union and the main building was derelict. In 1984 an independent Tamil speaking church, began to meet in the side hall and then in 1986 ‘the East London Christian Fellowship joined the Church. They were a break away from the Assemblies of God in Plashet Grove. The main church buildings have been modernized and made ‘user-friendly’ and are used by worshippers from many different nationalities, and cultural backgrounds
442-444 Baitur Rahman Masjid. Banglashdeshi institution in two converted shops.
East Ham United Services Club. This was on the corner of Salisbury Road but has been replaced by flats
Leamington Close
Flats on the site of a previous National School.

Little Ilford Lane
54-68 Azhar Academy. Suppliers of Islamic books.  This is basically on the site of what was the Gloy Glue Works.

Manpreet Close
Housing on the site of a council yard

Rabbits Road
Rabbits Road gets its name from the pub that stood on the corner and is now a chemists shop.
Rabbits farm- this farm appears on maps before 1900 roughly at the northern end of the road

Rectory Road
Little Ilford Learning Zone. Adult Education classes.

Romford Road
616 Earl of Essex.  Pub which is now closed. Over the entrance in Romford Road there is an inscribed stone that the pub was "erected Coronation Year 1902". The coronation was that of King Edward VII.
654 Cosy Corner Picture Palace. This was a shop turned into Electric Bioscope Theatre and operated by a Mr Dickman in 1914. It closed in the early-1920’s, and was eventually demolished to become a car park
685-693 Manor Park Library.  This was built and designed in 1905 by the then Borough Engineer, A.H. Campbell.  It is in red brick and terracotta with all sorts of decorative features. The foundation stone was laid by Passmore Edwards but it was Andrew Carnegie who the leading funder. There are various busts and names of literary figures on the walls -Longfellow, Milton, Shakespeare, Tennyson - Burns and Scott, and a bust of Carnegie himself. Inside there is a circular lobby with doors with Art Nouveau glass.
722-744 Shah Jahal Mosque. This is also Manor Park Islamic Cultural Centre.
776a Celestial Church of Christ. The Seventh Year Parish. The building was originally a Methodist Church Built in about 1901. The Celestial Church took it over in 1992 by which time it was the Little Eye Youth Club. It has a prominent tower in striped brick.
833 Three Rabbits pub. Apparently it was named because the area was known for its rabbit warrens. This is closed and is a chemists shop and flats.
855 Froud Centre. St. Michael’s church replacing a former arts and crafts building from 1897-8.  The new church, community centre, and flat are, named after Jimmy Froud, a past warden of Durning Hall and built in 1990 by APEG.  It is part of the Aston Mansfield charitable organisation which owns and manages a number of centres and settlements in east London.  There is a freestanding figure of St Michael slaying the devil by Crutchley. Wooden triptych War Memorial with names on it behind hinged doors. 
Methodist Church.  Church building opened in 2009. It replaces a church built in 1964, that was badly damaged by fire (believed to be arson) in 2003. This too replaced a church built in 1891 which replaced one built in 1870. The first congregation met in an old beer-shop and then in a skittle alley.
County Gaol, This stood on the site between Worcester and Gloucester roads. As the County Gaol, Little Ilford house of Correction was built in 1829–31 by Essex quarter sessions. It was run on the ‘silent system’, had about 60 cells, 8 day wards, 10 airing yards, and a tread-mill.  In 1860 it became a gaol for prisoners on remand or serving short sentences. It was closed in 1878 and demolished soon after.

School Road
Sir John Heron Primary School. This opened in 2001 – and its web it says it is on the site of the ‘Fifth Avenue School’. Avenue Junior and Infants schools were opemed in Fourth Avenue 1890 by Little Ilford School Board as the successor to the former National school in Church Road. They appear to have been called Fourth Avenue School and were between Vernon Avenue and School Road, which then ran parallel to Vernon Avenue. In 1929 the school was reorganized and called Avenue School. During the Second World War the infants’ school was destroyed by bombing and reopened in a temporary building in 1947. By the early 1960s the school had buildings on both sides of School Road.  Sir John Heron appears to have held land in Wanstead in the 16th.

Sheridan Road
Essex Primary School. Essex Road board school was opened in 1898 by Little Ilford School Board. It was reorganised in 1929 and again in 1945. In 1952, secondary pupils were transferred to a new Rectory Manor building, and Essex became a school for juniors and infants

Sixth Avenue
38 ex-industrial site which appears to be in private educational use

Snowshill Park
16-18 Kingdom Life Chapel International

Station Road
Blakesley Arms.  This dates from 1887, with terracotta detailing.

Sheringham Avenue
Little Ilford Baptist Church. This is Little Ilford Tabernacle founded in 1889.It was originally in what was then White Post Lane but in 1895 an iron building was erected in Salisbury Road. In 1900 the congregation moved to Little Ilford Lane again using an iron building. The present church was built in 1905. In 1957 a new hall for youth work, was added and it as a mural painting in it of 'Pilgrim's Progress'.
Sheringham Nursery School and Children’s Centre. Post Second World War buildings on a site previously used for 19th housing.
Sheringham Primary School The school dated from the 1970s and appears to be a post- Second World War foundation on a site previously used for 19th housing. It has recently been rebuilt

Third Avenue
Little Ilford Spiritualist Church. This began in a shop in Church Road as a Christian Spiritualist Church. In 1925 land became available in Third Avenue and members built a new Church which was later extended. This building has a large as well as an office used by the mediums a healing and circle room.  The site is likely to be rebuilt as flats in order to fund building repairs. The church will then be renamed Newham SNU Spiritualist Centre.

Toronto Avenue
1 mosaic Attached to St Michael and All Angels Church

Warwick Road
London Electricity Woodgrange Park Sub-Station on the site of an earlier coal yard

Aston Mansfield. Web site
British History Online. East Ham. Web site
British History Online.. Little Ilford. Web site
Celestial Church of Christ. Web site
Church Road Masjid Mosque. Web site
Cinema Theatres Association. Newsletter
Cinema Treasures. Web site
Closed Pubs. Web site
E12 Health Centre. Web site
Essex Primary School. Web  site
Essex Spirit Guide. Web site
Field. London Place Names
Grace’s Guide. Web site.
Little Ilford Baptist Church. Web site.
Little Ilford School. Web site
London Borough of Newham. Web site
Manor Park Christian Centre. Web site
Manor Park’s Free Art. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry.  Essex
Rentokil. Web site.
Revival House. Web site.
Salisbury Primary School. Web site
Shah Jahal Mosque. Web site
Shri Guru Ravidass Gurdwara. Web site
Sri Murugan Temple. Web site
Shady Old Lady. Web site
Sir John Heron School. Web site
St Winefride’s Roman Catholic Primary school. Web site
The Newham Story. Web site

Monday, 23 June 2014

Gospel Oak to Barking Railway. Manor Park

Gospel Oak to Barking Rail line
The line from Gospel Oak to Barking runs eastwards from Wanstead Park Station to Woodgrange Park

The Great Eastern Railway to Ilford runs north eastwards from Forest Gate Station, through Manor Park Station and beyond

Post to the west Forest Gate
Post to the east Little Ilford

Balmoral Road
1a Elfes Moumental Masons. family run traditional stonemasons. established since 1894.

Bluebell Avenue
Housing on the site of Woodgrange Park Goods Depot.

Capel Road
166 Golden Fleece pub

Clarence road
Housing north of Cumberland Road on the site of rail sidings on the London Tilbury and Southend Railway serving Forest Gate goods depot.

Forest Gate Junction
This is where the original London Tilbury and Southend railway of 1854 diverted from the Eastern Coast main line.  The Tottenham and Forest Gate Railway – now the Gospel Oak to Barking line crosses it on a viaduct and then merges with it to the south.
Signal Box. This was by the down side of the line west of the Gospel Oak-Barking Line viaduct. It closed in 1996 and was soon after demolished.

Gladding Road
Manor House. The house is said to have been built by the Lord of the Manor of West Ham on the Hamfrith estate as the East Ham Burnel Manor House. Apparently no ancient manor-house is known to have existed for West Ham. |At some time before 1848 the then lord, Edward Humphreys, was said to have had, sold ' the Manor House” to the Eastern Counties Railway”. It had been owned by the Railway since 1839, with the Fry family living there as tenants. In 1866, it was sold to the Victoria Land Co. and the grounds built over. The house itself is a 3-storey building been built between 1799 and 1838 but is thought to have had earlier origins.  It has a central 19th timber clock and bell turret with a dome but the clock is missing.  It is now flats.
St.Nicholas Roman Catholic Industrial Schools.  The school had been founded in 1855 by Cardinal Wiseman, in Shernhall Street, Walthamstow and transferred to Manor Park in 1868. It was run by the Sisters of Mercy and set up to receive destitute boys, not convicted of crime, and committed to the School by magistrates. It closed in 1922 and in 1925 the whole of the school site apart from the chapel and the presbytery was bought by the London Co-operative Society.  The school buildings were later demolished.
St. Nicholas Church. Built 1869-70 by Gilbert Blount.  The church originated as a chapel attached to Roman Catholic industrial schools in the Manor House, established by Cardinal Manning.  It was bombed in the Second World War.  It is in grey brick and a ‘homely’ interior.
Presbytery,  In 1988 the Sisters of the Sacred Heart took up residence here
Co-op Dairy. By the London Co-operative Co. as their principal a milk depot including offices and a bottling plant.

Hampton Road
All Saints Church. Built in 1886 by A. W.Blomfield in knapped-flint facing. Inside are a few embellishments -  three mosaic panels set in brick recesses and glass presumably by James Powell & Sons of Whitefriars.

Katherine Road
This was previously called Red Post Lane
United Methodist Church. A church was opened on the corner with Sandringham road in 1907 and a church in Stratford closed and its work transferred here. It was bombed in 1941. It closed in 1957 and demolished. The site is now flats.
Bristol smelting and Refining works  T. Callow & Co. In the 1890s they were on a large site here with the Bristol (or British) Smelting and Refining Works. This may or may not have been T.Callow and Sons, Silversmiths of Park Lane.

Lorne Road
St Mark’s church.  The church began in a cowshed on Tylney Road, which was converted into a mission church. In 1886 land was bought for a church and Parsonage. The new church, by E.P Loftus Brock, was consecrated in 1893 and a hall added in 1905.  The church was rebuilt in the 1980s by APEC Architects for multi-purpose use. It is small and single storey. The church itself white-walled, with movable furnishings.  It includes a stained glass War Memorial window from the old church in 1920 by Herbert Hendne of Lowndes & Drury with a crucifixion and soldier with sword of justice and angels above.

Romford Road
566 Vacant site. This is the site shown as a ‘Recreation Hall’ in 1894. In 1904 it was used as meeting room for Brethren, but also at the same time a venue for boxing matches.  Later it was Manor Park Liberal Club. And then JBs Dance Studios. Latterly it was a pub called Kiran Lounge and was demolished sometime after 2008.  It was a small gothic building with steps up to an entrance above ground level.
Woodgrange Park station. Opened in 1894 it now lies Between Barking and Wanstead Park stations on the line from Gospel Oak and South Tottenham. Track was laid here in 1854 as part of the first section of the London Tilbury and Southend Railway from Forest Gate Junction on the Eastern Counties Railway to Barking. In 1894 the Tottenham and Forest Gate Railway opened a line to Tottenham from this junction and this station was then opened. The line was electrified here in 1962 as part of the modernisation of the old London Tilbury and Southern Railway although their trains pass through the station and do not stop.  The original platform buildings were in brick but demolished in the 1970s. The station ticket office was demolished in the late 1990s and made into a cycle rack. The footbridge was removed in 1994.  Staff since operate from a portable office.
Woodgrange Park Goods Depot. This opened in 1895 and was used as a coal depot. It closed in 1964.  The site is now housing
Signal Box. This opened in 1894 and was closed in 1996.
540 Woodgrange Park Cemetery.  Established 1890 the Cemetery is unconsecrated, privately owned and operated. The owner is a private company, Badgehurst Ltd., based in Essex which took over the cemetery in its current state in 1981.  the Woodgrange Estate, was built by Corbett & Son between 1877 and 1892, providing over 1,100 dwellings on the site of Woodgrange Farm.  Woodgrange Park Cemetery was established in 1889 by a private cemetery company.  Near the entrance is a ruined Gothic chapel with a small tower flanked by the grandest angels and red-granite columns. There is also a War Memorial with cross of sacrifice. The eastern part has been sold off for a private housing development by Badgehurst Ltd. This needed a private Act of Parliament. In the process of site clearance numerous graves and tombs were removed, and remains interred in the Memorial Garden of Remembrance, elsewhere in the cemetery.  According to the London Ecology Unit's survey in 1991, it is a haven for wildlife, then having 32 species of birds breeding, as well as amphibians and reptiles. Near the chapel the Muslim Patel Burial Trust maintain a private burial area, fenced off behind green-painted railings and gates.
528 Rising Sun
512a  Quakers Place. New housing on the site of the Bard Bros Factory.   They made jellied sweets and were eventually taken over by Butterkist
Plashet Hall. This house locally known as Potato Hall was to the east of the junction of Romford Road and Katherine Road. This was a large house with ornamental grounds in occupation by a farming family. By the late 1880s it seems to have been owed by North Metropolitan Tramways.
Tramway Depot. This occupied the yard on the western side of Plashet Hall and was also known as Plashet Hall Works.  The depot was used as the eastern end of a tramway line from Stratford on which were run experimentally seven cars of the American Elieson Motor – this was a battery operated vehicle which was charged at the Stratford Works. They were manufactured in this country by the Compton Company.  The works was sold in 1893 together with the tram cars and their dynamos.
Animal charcoal works. This was at the top of Katherine Road adjacent to what became the tramway depot on the other corner. It may have been Charles Hart’s knackers’ yard – since the bones processed for the charcoal probably came from slaughtered horses.  Animal charcoal was used as a filter particularly in the sugar industry.
392 Temptations. This pub was previously the Waggon and Horses. There is a 'London & Burton Brewery Sparkling Ales' sign outside
Cook’s Bioscope. This small cinema was here before 1910 could not meet the requirements of the 1910, Cinematograph Licencing Act, and was closed.
447-451 Forest Gate Mosque. This is in shop premises. It includes the Imam Zakariyah Academy Primary School, The Bangladesh Muslim Shomity Ltd
370 Former Police Station. This was built in 1888 by John Butler, Metropolitan Police Surveyor.  It was funded by the residents of the Woodgrange Estate, after complaints about 'the throwing of bricks and brick bats at the windows of properties careless of the safety off ladies therein'.  It is in red brick and now in other use.

Salisbury Road
Woodgrange Laundry

Sandringham Road
Sandringham School. Built in 1895 by Robert L. Curtis. A three-decker board school on a large scale. The roof has a cupola with spike and six ventilating turrets. It was opened as an infants school by East Ham School Board  in 1896. In 1921 part of it became a central school. In 1945 it was again reorganized for infants and Secondary (modern) boys. It is now a primary school.

Sebert Road
244 Jireh Chapel, this began in 1888, when Mr. Allen began to hold meetings at 133. The chapel was built in 1921 with materials from a chapel demolished at Woburn Sands.
133 Jireh Lodge. In 1888 Mr Allen began to hold meetings in a building here and later moved to the chapel at 244.  Jireh Lodge was sold after 1921 and used by the Seventh Day Adventists and later by a builder.  It now appears to be a ruin and is apparently fire damaged.
Manor Park Cemetery.  Site of the eastern part of the Hamfrith manor - rest of it went for building in 1874.  A pprivate cemetery the Company having been managed by the same family since its foundation. the first interment took place in 1875. Chapel of 1877,  bombed in 1944 and rebuilt after the crematorium was added in 1955. There are 226 Commonwealth burials of the 1914-1918 war and 191 of the 1939-1945 war here. There are also 2 non World War burials. Those whose graves could not be marked on a headstone are named on a Screen Wall memorial.  Part of it has been abandoned and become oak woodland and grass with birds. 

Shrewsbury Road
Shrewsbury Children’s Centre

Station Road
Manor Park Station. Built in 1872 it lies Between Ilford and Forest Gate on the Great Eastern Main Line and originally intended to be called Little Ilford.   It was completely rebuilt when the line was quadrupled in 1894 but it was then bombed in the Second World War.  It is intended that this will be a station for the Crossrail service

Whitta Road
Co-op Funeral Care
Archway into Comet Close with Co-op plaque

Archaeology Data Service. Web site
British History. Online. Walthamstow. Web site
British History.  Online. West Ham. Web site
CAMRA. Real Beer in London
Cinema Treasures. Web site
Connor. Liverpool Street to Ilford.
Connor. St Pancras to Barking
E7 Then and Now. Web site
English Heritage. Web site
East End Pictures,
Epping central walk,
Field. London Place Names
Friends of Woodgrange Park Cemetery. Web site
London Encyclopaedia
London Gardens Online. Web site
Manor Park Cemetery. Web site
Nature Conservation in  Newham,
Pevsner and Cherry,. Essex.

Sunday, 22 June 2014

Gospel Oak to Barking Railway. Forest Gate

Gospel Oak to Barking Railway. Forest Gate
The Gospel Oak to Barking Railway running from Leytonstone High Road goes south east to Wanstead Park Station and thenceforth eastwards

The Great Eastern Railway to Ilford runs north eastwards from Maryland Station, through Forest Gate Station and beyond.

Post to the north Wanstead Flats
Post to the east Manor Park
Post to the west Cann Hall

Bignold Road
Bignold Hall. This began in the 1870s with an iron room.  In 1881 a hall was built in the corner with Station Road and this became the largest Brethren's meeting in West Ham. In the Second World War it was bombed, and a new hall was opened in 1958. It appears now to  be used by a variety of organisations many of them Christian.

Capel Road
Joseph Fry drinking fountain. This is near the corner with Centre Road. Joseph Fry was the son of Elizabeth Fry and  arranged provision of drinking fountains for people and horses.

Chapter Road
This road, which ran diagonally between Forest Road and Forest Street, now seems to be under the school buildings
Congregational Church. In 1856 a building to replace that in Forest Lane was erected here. In 1884–8 it was replaced by a new church, in Sebert Road. It was kept but sold in 1930. 

Chestnut Avenue
In the 19th the north end of the road was called ‘Chestnut Walk’ and led to an estate fronting onto what is now Capel Road.
20-24 Brettells. Wood turners. This specialist family business began in Haggerston in the 1820s and moved to this site in 1980

Cranmer Road
Godwin Primary School. Godwin Road board school was opened in 1885 and reorganised in 1945 for juniors and infants

Dames Road
98 Church of God. A Small plain brick building constructed in 1894-5 for Christian Israelites repaired after war damage, 1952, with further work in 2002. It had originated about 1884, when a Christian Israelite began preaching on Wanstead Flats. One of his followers, Robert Rosier left to the Branch Society of Christian Israelites houses and land, here where the church was erected. In 1959 the Society of Christian Israelites sought to affiliate the church, but it refused to accept their doctrines, and in 1962 took on the name of Church of God (Forest Gate)
Forest Glen pub. Closed 2010

Earlham Grove
93-95 West Ham Synagogue Communal Hall. Built in 1927-8 by Bertie Crewe, the theatre specialist. It had a Star of David window. West Ham Hebrew Congregation was founded in 1897 and  became known as West Ham Associate Synagogue in 1907, when it became an Associate member of the United Synagogue. In 1927, it was renamed West Ham District Synagogue and merged with Upton Park In 1972. It closed in 2004. The site is now flats.
Synagogue. This was a Romanesque building from in 1911 by Bertie Crowe. It was behind the hall but was burnt down in 1984. Crewe had designed a number of London theatres for the Abrahams family who were noted on the foundation stone.
Church of the Holy Carpenter. Built on the front lawn of Durning Hall in 1963,
Durning Hall Community Centre. Complex built 1957-64 by Shingler & Risdon Associates.  This is owned by the Aston Charities Trust (ACT) set up following charitable work of the Durning, Smith and Lawrence families, in the East End. The first Durning Hall which was built as a community resource for the Limehouse area in 1884. In 1948, it was hope to build a new Durning Hall and ACT took over the site of a bombed cinema and shops in Woodgrange Road and the hall opened in 1959. In 1964, ACT opened a hostel here through an early Housing Association. The building has the church at the front and the hall and residential block set behind at right angles.  There is an Aston Charities coat of arms on the gable end and a tiled mural on the front of the community centre.
175 Church of the Cherubim and Seraphim. The Holy Order of the Cherubim and Seraphim Church has its UK headquarters here. It dates from the 1970s and is one of the earliest African congregations to settle in Newham. The building used is Earlham Hall built in front of the music college in 1897.  It was used for musical events.
175 Rev John Curwen was a congregational minister in Plaistow. He became interested in the musical work of Sarah Glover and based on her work, developed the Tonic Sol-Fa system and set up a press in Plaistow in 1863 to publish literature and music. In 1864 he opened the Tonic Sol-Fa College here and this was later taken on by his son. In 1890 the College moved to Finsbury and this became the Forest Gate School of Music under Harding Bonner. In 1906 it was renamed the Metropolitan Academy of Music and by 1926 it was the largest music institution in the country.  It closed during the Second World War. The building still stands behind the church which now uses the hall but has been remodelled.
199 Royal Mail building.  There is a war memorial in the sorting hall saying “In memory of those who fought in the First and Second World Wars” and “In memory of our gallant comrades who fell in the Great War. 1939-1945  "Their memory long will live."

Field Road
95 this site was a food factory until the 1950s.
70 Camden Arms. Demolished in 2008 and now replaced by flats but a Watney pub sign remains free standing outside
62 Healing Church of God in Christ
Methodist Church. This began in 1861 and school chapel was built and then a large church in 1870. It was renovated in 1930. The congregation finally united with that of Woodgrange Road in 1956 and four other local societies. Scruffy flats now on the site.

Forest Lane
Forest Gate British School was founded around 1830 by Jabez Legg, as part of the original Congregational church which then stood on the corner with Woodgrange Road, the position occupied by the original Congregational church. It was taken over by the school board in 1872.
Congregational Church. In 1831 Jabez Legg, and William Strange, built a chapel at their own expense on the corner with Woodgrange Road. 1856 a larger building was erected in Chapter Street. The chapel in Forest Lane, was sold but was a glass-works in 1965
173 The Forest Tavern. This was The Railway Tavern
178 Fox and Hounds pub
Forest Gate Cinema was opened in 1912 designed by J. Groom & P.J. Groom. By 1922 it was called Forest Lane Cinema. IT closed in 1932 and re-opened as the Splendid Cinema. It was closed in 1939, and demolished.  The site is now under the school
Clock. This is on a traffic island at the junction with Woodgrange Road. It is combined with a drinking fountain and a Horse & cattle trough. There are also two rectangular stone mounting blocks. This was originally set up in the middle of the market.
Railway footbridge. There is a series of decorative panels on the footbridge over the railway from
Norwich Road

Forest Street
Forest Gate Community School. This is a co-operative sponsored academy on the site of what was Whitehall School. It was previously a comprehensive school which had itself been a secondary modern school. There are murals around the play area showing London skyline
Whitehall School. This opened in 1896 and was reorganized in 1926 for mixed seniors and mixed juniors. in 1945 it became Forest Gate mixed secondary modern school. In 1965 it was transferred to new buildings as Forest Gate high school after the site had been redeveloped. In the 1920s and 1930s the Shakespeare day-continuation institute used part of the site
Shakespeare Institute. In 1921 West Ham Council introduced compulsory attendance at day-continuation institutes, including Shakespeare  which was based in Green Street, The Shakespeare later moved to Whitehall Place school and closed in 1936.

Macdonald Road
St Saviour’s Church. Built in 1904 by F. Danby Smith. What is here is the hall to a now-demolished church.  It is an original building Arts and Crafts building. This was built next to the church. Along with a vicarage.
St. Saviour's Church was on the corner with Station Road. It had begun as a as a mission of Emmanuel, Forest Gate in 1880 and an iron building erected in Macdonald Road. In 1884 a permanent church was built to the designs of Edwin Clare. In 1944 the church was damaged by bombing and closed and not reopened until 1949.  It was however demolished in 1977 and flats built on the site

Odessa Road
Leggs Almshouses. Jabez Legg built three cottages, known as Forest Gate Retreat, - as homes for his retired family female servants. Three more cottages were added in 1863.  After Legg's death, aged his family offered accommodation to needy, usually local, women.  The Legg Charitable Trust merged in 1939 with a similar organisation, in Wimbledon. This subsequently joined Pathways - a not-for-profit organisation dealing mainly with sheltered housing projects, in 2012
Odessa Road Primary School. West Ham School Board was set up in 1871 and within three years a Board School was built in Odessa Road. In 1945 the school was reorganised, for mixed juniors and infants.
181 two cast iron notices on the side of the house, he lower one sayes: W.H.P. BOUNDARY IS NINE FEET N.W. OF THIS HOUSE
Odessa Road Open Space. This is playing fields with play equipment and sports pitches.

Post Office Approach
1 Donald Hunter House. Built as Telephone House, a nine storey building for Post Office office use in 1958. It was previously the site of Forest Gate post office and of massive Second World War bombing. It was converted from offices in 2001 by the Peabody Trust and reclad with pink panels and a wavy-roofed single-storey block in front.  It is now student accommodation managed by the Unite Students Foundation. Donald Hunter was a doctor specializing in industrial medicine who was born locally. The ground floor is used for shops and other facilities

Romford Road
350-360- Police Station. This was built in 1992 by Property Services Department of the Met. Huge corner building.
342 Simpsons. Pub. This was previously the Freemasons Arms and is now closed
329 The Princess Alice, by Donald Hamilton, Wakeford & Partners built in. 1951 to replace an earlier pub destroyed by bombing.  Sadly it was named after the disaster of the Princess Alice’s sinking. It has a curved brickwork facade and is seen as being in Festival of Britain style. In 2007 it was renamed The Monastery and has since been closed.
328 Imamia Mission. Shia Mosque and Bab ul Ilm School
Emmanuel Church.  Built for the suburb between East and West Ham in 1850-2 by George Gilbert Scott. It is in ragstone, with a timber steeple. It was subdivided in 1980 with a suspended ceiling. 
Churchyard.  This is surrounded by plain cast iron railings and Tombs are set among grass with some mature trees including lime and sycamore.
333 Destiny Apostolic Church International.  Is this in the Emmanuel Institute?
Emmanuel Institute. Built in 1882 by Habershon & McDonall opposite the church, a library and reading room although these were never built. The building was sold in 1982
306 Barclays Bank. Modern building replacing a grand and gothic predecessor.
302 The Queen’s Cinema opened in 1913 designed by architect W.R. Jackson. It was operated by Forest Gate Estates Ltd. In 1926 it was taken over by Abraham’s Super Suburban Cinemas, who closed it in May 1928 and it reopened in with changes by Leathart & Granger. It was re-named the New Queen’s Cinema and could stage variety shows. It had a Christie 2Manual theatre organ. In 1929 it was taken over by Associated British Cinemas but in 1941 it had a direct hit from a German parachute mine and was destroyed beyond repair, the organ was salvaged and used in the Regal, Halifax.  It was replaced with shops and offices.
300 Natwest Bank was built as the London and County Bank in 1900, by Zephaniah King and Co.  It is in buff lime stone with classical motifs to convey a feeling of stability and probity. The bank’s insignia is on the front. It is the sole survivor of the late Victorian development here.
292-296 Minhaj-Al-Quran Mosque and Cultural Centre., Minhaj-ul-Quran is a broad-based Islamic organisation representing a moderate vision of Islam, working for peace and integration. Its first British base was this building. The organisation promotes education of classical Islam and modern Islam. The building was an Odeon Art Deco styled cinema by Andrew Mother which opened in 1937 and survived wartime bombing although damaged. It was operated by Oscar Deutsch’s Odeon Theatres Ltd. Chain but is unlike other Odeons of that date.  Brick with grey ashlar facing. Some of the original decoration, including a figure of Pan, have been removed and destroyed. It was closed by the Rank Organisation in 1975 and converted into a snooker club. That closed in 1994.
Woodgrange Baptist Church. This began about 1880, with services in a hut lent by the builder of the Woodgrange estate. In 1882 a church was built with J. H. French as pastor. In 1899 the Richmond hall was built behind the church and later renamed the French Memorial Hall. French, was president of the London Baptist Association . The buildings were damaged by bombing in the Second World War but were repaired

Sebert Road
West Ham Hall, a large house that stood on the site now occupied by Woodgrange School. This was earlier called Hamfrith Farm and its fields were the site of what is the Godwin and Sebert Road Estate and Manor Park Cemetery. In 1787 it belonged to John Greenhill who built Hamfrith House here about 1800. In about 1890 it was bought by the Tottenham & Forest Gate Junction Railway, who sold it to West Ham School Board who demolished the house, some time after 1893. In 1966 the site was a depot belonging to Newham Council. It was then used as the site for Woodgrange Primary school in 1986. The gates to the house remain as the gates to the school.
Woodgrange Infants School. Built in 1970
Congregational Church. Built 1884 by Francis J. Sturdy in brick.   It has two octagonal towers, one with a dome. It has a grand interior with galleries on three sides, on iron columns. The church orignated in 1825 in a chapel in Forest Lane and later in Chapter Street. In the 1880s William Skinner built a new church here for what was then a new housing estate. It is now in use by other churches - Has since been Miracle Ministry Mission and is now AEC4UK – A Radical Church.

Station Road
Field Point. Local authority tower block.
147 Field Community Centre. Providing a range of activities.
16 Earl of Derby, closed and now a nursery

Wanstead Flats
This is shown on the Ordnance Survey map of 1883, but on the 1805 map it is called Epping Forest. Thus the area is the southern-most portion of Epping Forest and often called Lower Forest. Some of the southern sections are in West Ham and have been managed, by them since 1894
Bandstand Pond.  Originally called Angel Pond after Lewis Angell surveyor and engineer who planned it.  In the early 20th century there were paddle boats for children,
Near the pond is a circle of trees where the bandstand stood which was used for open air concerts. 

Woodford Road
1 Forest Gate Learning Zone and Adult Education Centre
1 Forest Gate Youth Centre

Woodgrange Road
Forest Gate gets its name from a put up in the 17th century to stop straying from Wanstead Flats. It is first mentioned in 1693. In 1851 the Lord of Woodgrange Manor erected a new five-bar gate cross Woodgrange Road. and this was there until about 1883. It was situated near the Eagle & Child pub. The area was part of ‘Hamforth Wood’ until 1700. 
Woodgrange Farm was recorded in 1189 as a holding of the Cistercian Abbey at Stratford. It was leased out to tenant farmers until the dissolution in 1538.  It stood on the west side of the road. It and its land were developed by Thomas and Cameron Corbett between 1877 and 1892. They built 1,160 good quality houses of four to six bedrooms, many with attached servant’s quarters for city business men, and professionals.
4-20 The Library and Local Service Centre is at The Gate and is a multi-purpose community facility where people can access a range of library and council services. The building was opened in 2003 and replaced the older library further along Woodgrange Road. It is now in the ground floor of Donald Hunter House
13 Kings Cinema. This was designed by J. Baker and Co., as the Forest Gate Public Hall and opened in 1902. It was set back from the road and it included inside stage facilities and a ballroom. In 1907 it was renamed Grand Theatre, in 1908 the People’s Picture Palace and in 1910 the Public Hall. It Closed in 1920, and re-opened as the Grand Cinema.  Operated by London & Provincial Cinemas Ltd. It closed in 1932 until 1935 and again until 1937, when it re-opened as the King’s Cinema. This closed in around 1940. It was later used as a roller skating rink, a clothing factory, a nightclub and an electrical store until 2000. The building was demolished in 2005.
Wanstead Park Station. This opened in 1894 and now lies between Woodgrange Park and Leytonstone High Road stations. It was built by the Tottenham & Forest Gate railway and the line runs on a brick viaduct through Forest Gate about which there were lots of protests. Before opening it was known as Forest Gate Station. There was no goods yard.  The original platform buildings were removed in 1970 and brick shelters built. At the same time the booking office was replaced by a portacabin.  Later access was proved from Woodgrange Road instead of Station Approach.
Signal Box. This dated from the opening of the line and closed in 1965.
14-39 shops built in the late 1890s on the site of the Pawnbrokers' Almshouses built in 1847 by the Pawnbrokers Charitable Institution. They were in 'Elizabethan' style set back behind landscaped gardens.
55 the Forest Gate Electric Theatre opened in 1910 designed by G.J. Valentine. It was re-named Imperial Playhouse and owned by Smithers & Spindler. In 1922 it was taken over by London and Provincial Cinemas Ltd.  It closed for alterations in 1932 by Gledhall & Wigmore and it re-opened in 1935 as the Regal Cinema, operated by Abraham’s Suburban Cinemas Ltd.  It closed in 1938 and re-opened as Rio Cinema.   It was closed in early-1944.The building has been demolished and there are new shops on the site.
59 was one of the shops bought up as part of Durning Hall but used by them until the hall was built. It was used by the Busby Scouts add remained a scout shop for some years
79 Congregational chapel. In 1831 Legg and William Strange built a chapel in Woodgrange Road near its junction with Forest Lane. The Kings Hall Cinema opened in 1910 in a building of the Forest Gate British School. It closed in 1914. The building was occupied by W.J. Biles glaziers in the 1990’s. In 2009, it is a discount shop called Pound Plaza.
112 Eagle and Child. The pub dated from the 1740s and is shown on the Roque plan, and at the entrance to “The Lower Forest” on the Chapman and Andres map of 1777 but had been rebuilt 1896. On the ground floor fa├žade are five, carved wooden reliefs of drinkers, musicians, Henry VIII and Elizabeth I.  It is thought thse date from the 1920s. The name comes from the storey that Sir Thomas Latham, who had no natural heir, adopted a baby boy that was found on his estate under a tree guarded by an eagle. The child inherited the estate and his daughter married into the Stanley family who became the Earls of Derby and the eagle and child are on their coat of arms. The pub and a neighbouring print works have been converted to Raymond Chadburn flats, with a pharmacy on the ground floor.
A gate with a toll-house was built across the Road close to the pub.
121 Lord Lister Health centre
176 Gatsby pub, Short lived pub, also known as Mickey Finns. It closed in 1993
Compass points in the pavement on the corner of Sebert and Woodgrange Roads. This is a circle 14 /metres in diameter. It is surrounded by four seats and has a large cross in the centre whose arms point to the cardinal points.
The Bijou Theatre was opened before to 1908 and was part of Gales Bioscope Theatres chain. It was closed by the local council in February 1909, because of safety concerns.
Forest Gate Station. Opened in 1854 on the line to Tilbury it now lies bBetween Manor Park and Maryland. It was opened by the Eastern Counties Railway. The original entrance was in Forest Lane but from 1870 it was in Woodgrange Road. Soon after platforms were lengthened and siding provided for terminating trains.  It was then rebuilt in the early 1890s.
Florist’s kiosk in front of Forest Gate Station. The dome was a feature of the railway station, but was removed when the station was Therefurbished. It was originally on the corner of the main building.
Market Place – these words are above the shops on the corner with Sebert Road. This is the site of the old local market.
Forest Gate Methodist Church and Hall.  The church began in 1878 when the Stratford circuit built an iron church here. In 1881-2 a permanent church was built but this was bombed in the Second World War. In 1956 a dual purpose hall was built on the Woodgrange and in 1962 a new church was built by Paul Mauger to show his ideas that Methodist churches should be more explicitly community minded. It replaced a large church of 1890. The hall opened in 1956.  The church is simple, with a  sculpture "The Preacher', modelled in 'Pericrete' by Peter Peri. It is held in this position because it is counterbalanced by the church organ. There is also a foundation stone with the five local uniting societies involved named
Drinking fountain in granite, donated by A.C. Corbett in 1890 who developed the Woodgrange Estate.  In the centre is a cast-iron column supporting a clock, by James Rowly and Parkes Co. of Clerkenwell.
Emmanuel (later St. Saviour's) National school, was built in 1853 on a site, given by Samuel Gurney, at the corner  with Forest Street.. it was closed in 1894.

AIM. Web site
Brettells. Web site
British History On line. West Ham. Web site
Cinema Theatres Association Newsletter
Cinema Treasures. Web site
Connor. Liverpool Street to Ilford
Connor. St.Pancras to Barking
East London Old and New
Exploring East London. Web site
Field. London Place Names
London Borough of Newham. Web site
London Encyclopaedia
Newham Story. Web site
Victoria County History. West Ham
Wanstead Wildlife. Web site

Thursday, 19 June 2014

Gospel Oak to Barking Rail line. Wanstead Flats

Gospel Oak to Barking Rail Line
The line from Leytonstone High Road going to Wanstead run south eastwards

Post to the west Leytonstone
Post to the south Forest Gate

Aldersbrook Estate
Land around the old Children’s Home has been developed as local authority housing estate,

Aldersbrook Road
St Gabriel. The parish of Aldersbrook was set up in 1903 with a mission church to serve a housing estate built in the hamlet of Aldersbrook. Land, used as a nursery was bought and an iron mission church built and dedicated to St Gabriel the Archangel. By 1912 the population had increased and a larger and more permanent building was needed and the present church was dedicated in 1914 .The church was designed By Charles Spooner, with funding from the Misses Nutter. It is built of thin red bricks, with tile decoration.
Aldersbrook Children’s Homes. In 1907, the West Ham Guardians purchased The Aldersbrook site and in 1911 built five Receiving Homes called Lodges. Workshops for training the older Boys and Girls were opened. In 1930 the ownership of Aldersbrook homes were vested in the East Ham Corporation who were required to receive destitute children from the Essex County Council and West Ham areas. In 1933, the Aldersbrook Children’s Homes Nursery was opened.
Aldersbrook Emergency Hospital. Before the outbreak of the Second World War there had been negotiations between East Ham Council and the Ministry of Health over the use of Aldersbrook Children's Home as an emergency hospital.  In 1939 the children were evacuated, to Bacton and later Polzeath.  Alterations were made by the Borough Engineer and the ground floor of the main building and the Nursery Block were converted into a Casualty Clearing Station.  The Hospital opened in 1939. The Hospital had its own operating theatre as well as an X-ray and a Physiotherapy Department. The Children’s Home's farm was allowed to keep sheep and pigs for the war effort.  In 1942 a Decontamination and Cleansing Unit was built and other alterations were made. In 1945 Ministry of Health terminated the arrangement and the buildings reverted to their former use as a children's home.   The main building of the Children's Home, built in 1910 by West Ham Union, and the Nursery Block have been demolished.  Ward buildings have been converted into homes and sheltered flats for the elderly.
Aldersbrook Maternity Hospital. In 1946 the East Ham Public Health Committee began to use the Aldersbrook Children's Homes Nursery Block, built in 1933 as a temporary maternity hospital. Thus The Hospital officially opened in 1947 with 21 beds.  The lying-in wards were - Heather, Rose, Acacia, Hyacinth, Primrose and Snowdrop, while the labour wards were Lavender and Laburnum.   As a temporary hospital, it was not covered by the National Health Service Act and it continued to be administered by the Maternity and Child Welfare Sub-Committee of East Ham Council until 1948.   The Hospital closed in 1957. In 1963 the Hospital building became the Aldersbrook Unit, an annexe for the East Ham Memorial Hospital but has since been demolished.

Belgrave Road

This road is the perimeter which defines the outline of the Lake House Estate built in the 1900s and which occupies the site of the lake. The houses it surrounds define the area of the lake.

Lake House was originally called Russian Farm and may have originally been a summerhouse for Wanstead House. It was on an island in the lake. Thomas Hood the poet lived there from 1832-5. It was demolished in 1908, but had been used as a sports pavilion
The Great Lake was one of a chain of lakes in the grounds of Wanstead House. A number of designs were proposed for it but it was very shallow, and disappeared around 1908

Blake Hall Crescent
Aldersbrook Tennis Club. This is in a hollow at the junction with Aldersbrook Road and Centre Road. It is said to have supposed to have been dug as a lake, but was not completed. It lies below the embankment which carries Blake Hall Road.

Brading Crescent
Charles Brading was an East Ham County Borough councillor.
Fry Lodge has been converted into two private houses. As one of the original lodges for the children's home it was called Elizabeth Fry Lodge after the prison reformer and Newham Resident.
Hayter Court. This was a building of Aldersbrook Children’s Homes and is now sheltered housing managed by Springboard Housing Association, part of the Genesis Housing Group.
Buxton Lodge. Named for Edward North Buxton and one of the original lodges for the children’s home
Hood Lodge. As one of the original lodges for the children’s home named for Tom Hood, a local poet who lived for a while in adjacent Lake House
Joseph Lister Lodge. As one of the original lodges for the children’s home
Porters Lodge.

Centre Road
Plane trees were planted along the road by 1890
Wanstead Model Flying Club has operated here for many years, with a landing strip near Centre Road.
West side of the road is an area used by travelling fairs and circuses. In 2012 used by the Metropolitan police as a temporary Olympics headquarters

Dames Road
141 Holly Tree Pub

Lake House Road
Runs alongside the site of the Lake House on which Lake House Estate is now built.

Park Road
Aldersbrook Library. Another ‘community’ library. This was opened in 1950 in   an old garage once used to house a milk cart.

Richmond Way
Half way along the road is the approximate site of Lake House

Wanstead Flats
This is shown on the Ordnance Survey map of 1883, but on the 1805 map it is called Epping Forest. Thus the area is the southern-most portion of Epping Forest. The greater part is flat, open grassland on the river gravel and the nature of the area encouraged people to turn out cattle and other animals to graze on this unenclosed land. Some Landowners and occupiers have the 'right of common pasture' but in 1996 the BSE crisis forced removal of the cattle. Areas of the flats were also used to assemble cattle by drovers. There are thickets of gorse and broom, as and woods and copses, most planted in the 19th by the Epping Forest Committee. In the Second World War it was a D.Day marshalling area for transport units.
Jubilee Pond until 2002 this was the Model Yacht Pond or Dames Road Pond. Until then it had stone banks, and Lack of repair and water supply meant that for many years the pond was often dry. There are three islands: Pigeon Island, Centre Island and South Island.
Prisoner of War camp in 1945 between Centre Road and Lake House Road. Some of them on the area later used as a fair ground, there were also camps on the Flats for 100,000 Italian prisoners of war in 1941. The Flats held sub-camps between 1939 and 1945 of a larger prisoner of war camp located on Carpenter’s Road, Stratford
SSSI. This is in an area called Police Scrape in the V junction of Lake House and Centre Roads. It is an area of acid grassland with some rare insects.

Corporation of the City of London. Web site
Clunn. The Face of London 
East London Old and New,
Essex Journal
Leyton History Society. Web site
London Borough of Newham. Web site
London Borough of Redbridge. Web site
London Encyclopaedia
Lost Hospitals of London. Web site
Osborne, Defending London
Pevsner and Cherry.  Essex
Smyth. Citywildspace
St.Gabriel. Web site. 
Victoria County History. Essex 
Wanstead Wild Life. Web site