Showing posts from November, 2015

Riverside. East of the Tower, south bank, Woolwich

Riverside east of the Tower, south bank. Woolwich The old heart of this riverside town. The riverfront with old wharves and thee Free Ferry, and the heart of the Royal Arsenal, all regenerated to death. Post to the east Broadwater and Arsenal Post to the south Woolwich Post to the west Woolwich Dockyard Note that this post only covers sites on the south bank of the river. The northern half of the square is North Woolwich Artillery Square Building 17 (Paper Cartridge Factory or Firepower). In 1853 John Anderson suggested a new process for making seamless conical paper sugar bags for the manufacture of small-arms bag cartridges. A new building for making the bags was proposed in early 1855. Building work, probably the last job for the on-site Engineers’ Department finished in 1856 and the factory was in use by 1857. It is a two-storey block, iron-framed with two-colour brick walls which has considerable structural interest  and reflects developments in textile mills and doc

Riverside - south bank, east of the Tower. Broadwater and Arsenal

Riverside east of the Tower, south bank Broadwater Arsenal lands - some converted to housing as much as thirty years ago, some being converted with heritage buildings. Post to the south Plumstead Post to the north Galleons   and Gallions Post to the west Woolwich  and  North Woolwich Argyll Road Building 50 .  Building by the A& Q Partnership 2003. Flats in six storeys overlooking the river. This was the area of the east range of the Grand Store built in the early 19th and demolished by 1850 because of subsidence. This was rebuilt in 1855 with an engine house and accumulator towers for the Grand Store hydraulic power system. In 1895 it was redeveloped as an electric power station, rebuilt with turbines in 1903, and oil fired boiler house in 1967.  It was demolished for the current flats in 2000 Building 49 . This was part of the Grand Store built from 1808 and completed in 1813. From 1855 this was the Ordnance Store Department and used for the storage of all sorts of ite

Riverside. South bank east of the Tower. Gallions

Riverside, south bank east of the Tower.  Gallions A small strip of new housing on an old Arsenal riverside area This post is only about sites on the south side of the river. Sites on the north part of this square are at   Galleons Post to the north Beckton Post to the east Tripcock Ness Post to the south Broadwater and Arsenal Merbury Road This area of housing is on what was part of the Arsenal site – left as blank on many maps. It appears to have been the site of a depot of some sort with  roads and possibly some rail lines. Riverside Path Gridiron . This appears as a derelict jetty at an angle to the river wall. It was built as a roll-on dock for 100 ton guns to be loaded onto special 'Gog or Magog' barges After manufacture in the Arsenal the gun would be put on a railway wagon, taken to the dock, and rolled (wagon and all) directly onto one of the barges for transport to Shoeburyness or wherever. Sources Greenwich Indu strial History. Blog site.  

Riverside - east of the Tower, south bank. Tripcock Ness

Riverside south of the river, east of the tower Tripcock Ness "Regneration area' on old military manufacturing area, includes an obscure eco-village and a new hill Post to the north Beckton Post to the west Gallions  and Galleons Post to the east Thamesmead Barnham Drive Barriers at the end and a cycle lane that goes nowhere. This is the route of a proposed new bridge into a new development and the riverside. There is a structure in the grassed area at the end. It appears to have had a garden round it which is now derelict. There are blue curved walls around a feature which is out of sight. Battery Road Discovery Day Nursery and Children’s Centre Discovery Primary School.   The school opened in 2007 Foxglove Path This canal-side path leads from Battery Road, towards Gallions Reach Urban Village and a lake. Margaret or Tripcock Ness This is a promontory shown as ‘Magott Nesse’ on a chart of 1588 - ‘Maggot’ was once used as a pet name for ‘Margaret, It is also