Wednesday, 23 January 2019


Post to the south Avery Hill

Crown Woods Way
Eltham Cemetery and Eltham Cematorium: The cemetery was opened in 1935 and laid out by the Borough Engineer. It was flat site with a grid of plots with trees. Trees were planted along the paths, very densely along the boundary with Rochester Way.
The Crematorium was added in 1956. It has two chapels said to be like Liverpool's Roman Catholic Cathedral. Three is a Garden of Remembrance, a pergola walk and lake with small waterfall. There is a more recent series of Memorial Courts.

Eastcote Road
Eastcote Primary School. This Primary School is now an ‘academy’ in the Leigh Academies Trust business.  The school was rebuilt in 2008 replacing a building from 1935
Wimpey, Wates and Ideal Homesteads laid out the area in the, 1930s, for the cheaper end of the market. It was thought people would work in London but would not be able to afford a car. Tit was built on the site of West Wood.

Falconwood Field
Green open space bordered by a running track

Lingfield Crescent
The Falcon. This is a large roadside pub next to Falconwood station.  It is now one of the Harvester chain.
Falconwood Station. Opened in 1936 to lies between Welling and Eltham on South Eastern Trains, Bexleyheath Line.  New Ideal Homesteads gave South Eastern Railway the money to build it plus a lump sum for development.  A ‘Cinema style’ passimeter booking hall faces the road and leads to a covered footbridge across both tracks with covered stairways to canopied platforms in a cutting.   The signage ‘Falconwood’ over the street entrance covers the Southern Railway sign. In 1953 and 1972 the Platforms were extended and in 1978 the booking hall was renewed
The railway line from Blackheath to Falconwood is a green corridor with cuttings and embankments with sycamore and oak woodland.  Hawthorn and bramble providing habitat for birds and animals.

Oxleas Wood
From 1311 the wood were part of the Royal manor of Eltham and leased to Sir John Shaw from 1679 to 1811, when they were taken over by the War Department. They were acquired by the London County Council and opened to the public in the early 1930s and passed to the London Borough of Greenwich in 1986. The wood is a Site of Special Scientific Interest and parts are regarded as being Ancient Woodland, Most of Oxleas Wood itself is on the southern slope of the hill itself which at it is a significant London landmark. The hill is formed of London Clay with exposed gravel terraces, and the soil is mainly acidic.  Thus there are many mature oak trees, but also sweet chestnut, hazel, ash, aspen, wild cherry, alder, birch and wild service trees as well as abundant holly.  Sycamore and rhododendron are also present. In the understorey bramble predominates in plus bracken but the ground cover also contains some Ancient Woodland indicator species, like butchers broom and southern wood-rush. The woods are home to a wide range of wildlife including spotted and green woodpeckers, as well as ring-necked parakeets. bats can be seen hunting along the fringes of the meadows and wood warblers and firecrests have been seen. foxes are common and there is a population of hedgehogs. There is an apiary in the woods and there is a Friends group

Rochester Way
This is a rebuild of the A2 which follows a similar route to that of an ancient trackway, then a Roman road and Watling Street and eventually this scheme as Rochester Way. At Shooter's Hill, Watling Street and the A2 part company, and Watling Street continues along up Shooters Hill Road. From the 1920s a bypass road called Rochester Way diverged from this road at the Sun in the Sands Pub. This section has now been upgraded and the old Rochester Way remains between Kidbrooke and Falconwood. This was built as a bypass to the main Dover Road which went over Shooters Hill in and was thus until 1988 the A2 London-Dover Road. The final allocation of the route was in 1923, when construction began and the road was given the reference A2 within the Great Britain road numbering scheme in the 1920s. Like all these early improvements it was a wide single carriageway road. But the section of road in this square starts some distance east of the Well Hall Roundabout and goes to the Falconwood Junction.
737 Falconwood Depot. UK Power Networks.  Eltham Grid Sub Station
Falconwood Model railway. They are based in the field to the rear of the Sub-Station, The Welling and District Model Engineering Society was founded in 1945. They have a 1268 feet 3.5" and 5" gauge raised steel track which is electronically signalled, and features a full anti-tip rail, level crossing, footbridges, mini-viaduct, signal box and tunnel. The 9 bay steaming bay is equipped with power and has a water tower and coal bunker.

Rochester Way Relief Road
This the latest rebuild of the A2 which follows a similar route to that of an ancient trackway, then a Roman road and Watling Street and eventually this section as Rochester Way also on this square. This new section of Rochester Way Relief Road, by-passing Kidbrooke and Eltham, was opened in 1988 starting at the Sun in the Sands pub in Shooters Hill Road. On this square the section of road shown runs from near Eltham Park North to the eastern end of the Crematorium going through the Falconwood Junction. At Falconwood, the road becomes the East Rochester Way and this point was once the westbound terminus of the dual carriageway.
Falconwood Junction.  Falconwood is the junction on the A2 where the 1988 Rochester Way Relief Road has its eastern end onto Rochester Way. The junction is a half diamond and is a congestion blackspot. This was to be where the link road from the East London River Crossing was to end which explains the design.
Welling Way
This was built as part of the Rochester Way scheme in the 1920s to connect the new Shooters Hill by pass with the old road on the east side of Shooters Hill.

Barr-Hamilton & Reilly. Country to Suburb
Course. The Bexleyheath Line
Field. London Place Names
Friends of Oxleas Woodlands. Web site
Eastcote Primary Academy. Web site
London Borough of Greenwich, Web site
London Railway Record
Lyne. Military Railways in Kent
Nature Conservation in Greenwich
News Shopper. Web site
Parks and Gardens, Web site
SABRE.  Web sit
Spurgeon. Eltham
Spurgeon. Woolwich, 

Monday, 21 January 2019

Fulwell Cross

Post to the north Hainault
Post to the south Barkingside

Colvin Gardens
Fairlop Primary School. The school opened in temporary huts on the field in 1929. The foundation tablet for the present school was unveiled in 31st 1933. The school was designed by L.E.J. Reynolds, Architect to the Ilford Education Committee, and J.F.A Cavanagh, Senior Architectural Assistant for Schools. It is of the type which was practised consistently for interwar suburban schools

Fairlop Oak
Fairlop is named after the Fairlop Oak – which probably stood near Fairlop Waters in the square to the east. In 1951 a tree, called the 'new Fairlop Oak' was planted on the green at Fulwell Cross.

Fairlop Road
State Cinema. This was opened by Cumberland Cinemas Ltd. in 1938. It had entrances on both Fairlop and Fullwell roads; there was a cafe/ballroom and two car-parks. It was designed by George Coles with sweeping corners and concealed lighting. It has a tall, streamlined rectangular tower, a lower drum and with the sides of the auditorium exposed to the street. Inside was a circular foyer with ironwork balustrades and in the auditorium, a coved ceiling and half columns along the wall.  By 1940, it had been taken over by Kessex Cinemas, but in 1940 it was bomb damaged, closed and then requisitioned by the War Office for a store. In 1948 Associated British Cinemas re-opened it as the ABC State but without the cafe/ballroom. In 1964 it was renamed the ABC Barkingside and closed in 1972 to be converted into part bingo use. A cinema opened in the balcony area and the stalls were used for bingo. The cinema closed in 1976 but re-opened as the Ace-State Cinema in 1978 with a second screen in the old ballroom.  This closed in 1984 and the area has never been used since.  The bingo continues.
Mossford Green Primary School. The school was founded in 1952.

Fencepiece Road
Fairlop Junior and Infants schools were set up here in 1929. Fairlop Council School was then built and opened in 1933. It comprised Fairlop Infants School, Fairlop Junior School, Fairlop Secondary School Girls, Fairlop Secondary School, Boys. A new building was provided for the seniors in 1935. In 1945 the school was re-organized, the seniors being formed into secondary schools and Fairlop County Secondary School for Girls was on this site by 1961, while the boys had moved elsewhere.
New Rush Hall School. ThIs is in the building previously used as the Girls Secondary School. The New Rush Hall School is a day special school for children and young people aged 5 to 16 years who have behavioural, emotional and social difficulties. This is in part of the Fairlop Schools
Redbridge Music Service. This is based in the John Savage centre, and is a lead partner within the North East London Music Education Hub. Redbridge Music Service has nurtured many talented young musicians, some of whom have gone on to become professional musicians. It is in part of the Fairlop Schools
Fairlop Evangelical Church, in the old church hall of S. Francis of Assisi.  It was originally Fairlop Gospel Hall which opened in 1934.
St Francis of Assisi. This is a Church of England church in the Catholic tradition. Services have been held in the Parish since February 1934 and rhea the first service was held in the waiting room of Hainault Station. In 1938, two halls were built in Fencepiece Road. In 1956, the current church opened as a brick building designed by J. J. Crowe.
Oakfield Playing Field. The 24 hectare site comprises four cricket squares and eleven football pitches. It includes the Jack Carter Pavilion. Frenford Clubs had been founded in 1928 founded by Jack Carter and by 1930, was sports and social club meeting in Ilford. Having moved several times in 1995 Jack Carter signed an agreement with the London Borough of Redbridge to lease a 19-acre sports ground at Oakfield, Barkingside. This site opened in 1998 as the Jack Carter Pavilion.
The Maypole. The original Maypole pub stood on the site which is now Fullwell Cross Medical Centre. It moved to its present site to the north in Fencepiece Road in the early 1930's
New Fairlop Oak. Wetherspoons pub in what was the former post office.  Named after the oak tree planted on the green at Fullwell Cross, in 1951,

Forest Road
Redbridge Sports Centre. This opened in 1972.  There are various others on site including the Old Parkonians
Fairlop Station. This opened in 1903 and lies between Barkingside and Hainault on the Central Line. It was built as a main line railway station by the Great Eastern Railway. Because of Ilford’s growth Great Eastern built the Fairlop Loop between Seven Kings and main line to Ongar.  Plans were made in the 1930s to turn this into an underground station and in 1948 it was taken over by London Transport to become a station on the Central Line. It remains a fine Edwardian station with lavish passenger accommodation and toilets. It has canopies that still bear the "GER" symbol in the bracketry.
Goods Yard with a cattle dock and a sidings.
Railway Cottages for the staff. Semi detached garden city style and opposite the station.
Station master's house – detached villa with a pillared porch and large garden. Opposite the station
Kantor King Solomon High School. This is is a Modern Orthodox Judaism comprehensive school. It was opened in 1993. In November 2016, the school was formally renamed Kantor King Solomon High School after donations from Dr Moshe Kantor, the president of the European Jewish Congress.

Fremantle Road
Barkingside Methodist Church. Built in 1958 by Francis Lumley. With a red brick tower. It has recently been reordered.

Fulwell Cross
A roundabout which may have been the site of a field owned by Barking Abbey which became known as ‘Fulwell Hatch’.  Middle English hache means the gate' once giving access to Hainault Forest.
New Fairlop Oak was planted in The Green in 1951 and stands in the centre of the roundabout.  Part of the Festival of Britain celebrations.

Fulwell Avenue
Clore Tikva School. This is a Jewish voluntary aided nursery, infant and junior school. It is in modern premises, completed in 2000,

High Street
140 Fulwell Cross Library.  This was opeme in 1968 and designed by Frederick Gibberd, Coombes & Partners in association with H.C. Connell, Borough Architect. It is sixteen sided and circular with a raised centre dome,
140 Fulwell Cross Leisure Centre and Swimming Pool. This was opened in 1968 and designed by Frederick Gibberd, Coombes & Partners in association with H.C. Connell, Borough Architect. Sports complex offering a 25m swimming pool with diving boards, modern gym and aerobics classes.

Cinema Treasures. Web site
Clore Tikva School. Website
Fairlop Evangelical Church. Web site
Fairlop Primary School. Web site
Field. London Place Names
Frenford Clubs. Web site
Hainault History. Web site
Ilford Recorder. Web site
Kantor King Solomon High School. Web site
London Borough of Redbridge. Web site
New Rush Hall. Web site
Redbridge Music Service. Web site
Redbridge Sports Centre. Web site
St. Francis of Assisi Church. Web site
Victoria County History
Walford. Village London

Sunday, 20 January 2019

Islington Essex Road

Post to the north Canonbury

Alwyne Road
Especially grand Italianate examples where the gardens back on to the New River.
I7 Alongside the house is part of a late 16th octagonal garden house from Old Canonbury House. The brickwork is covered with stucco.

Arran Walk
This was Marquess Road until the 1960s.
80 The Bridge.  Built as a Council Neighbourhood Centre, this is now New River Baptist Church providing community service for the area

Asteys Row
This is a footpath parallel to the New River, originally built in the mid-18th by a John Astey. The area suffered considerable bomb damage in the Second World War It is now a narrow space with rockwork; some called 'Islington's Cheddar Gorge'.
New River.  This section of the New River was enclosed in pipes in 1892/3 and became a stretch of derelict land. Later the pipes were removed and gardens laid out here.  There have been re-landscaping works since as Asteys Row Rock Gardens.
Children’s playground. Recently remodelled.

Canonbury Crescent
Walter Sickert Community Centre. The refurbished centre was re-opened in 2009 by the Mayor of Islington

Canonbury Grove
Road overlooking the New River. The road dates from 1823, and was once called Willow Cottages and Willow Terrace;
New River. There was a loop here in the original course of the river, some of which can still be seen.  This was once open fields and the river took this, its last loop, called the "Horse Shoe". It was straightened in 1823 when the streets were laid out in Canonbury Fields. Almost half a mile of the New River remained an open r-channel until 1946 when it was terminated at Stoke Newington. It was then converted into a park and is now the only section in Islington with a continuous stretch of water.
Brick building. Within the remaining curve of the New River is a small circular brick building which is likely to be late 18th. It may have been used by a linesman working on the New Rivera

Canonbury Road
The road was built as part of the New North Road built in the early 19th linking the start of the Old North Road at Shoreditch with the Great North Road at Highbury Corner.  It was a ‘propriety road – a turnpike road built as a private road by a group of proprietors. By Act of Parliament it was managed by the Metropolitan Turnpike Trust from 1849.
Canonbury Bridge – where the New River ran under the road
52 Myddleton Arms. Dates from at least 1839. It was once a Courage House but has now got posher. There are old features in the bar back, windows and cellar opening. The tables are converted oak barrels. It is named after Sir Hugh Myddleton, who built the New River. It is listed.
St Stephen’s Church.  This was a new church in 1839 taking on some of the parish of St. Mary, the Islington parish church. It is a pale brick Gothic building by W. and H. W. Inwood & E. N. Clifton and laree lengthened by A. D. Gough. I was bombed and burnt out in 1940; then reconstructed by A. Llewellyn Smith & A. W. Waters in 1957.
New River Walk and Canonbury Gardens. This continues the riverside walk, although this stretch was historically in pipes until this section of the river closed and it was turned into park land and amenity space.  Canonbury Gardens is also used by the Manna Project which is growing an edible forest together with St.Paul’s Church working with homeless people.

Canonbury Street
32 Marquess Tavern. This was developed around 1854 by James Wagstaffe. It is in brick with a roof obscured by parapets on a corner site with the main front to flat on Canonbury Street flat, and the sides to Douglas Road and Arran Walk. The words 'MARQUESS TAVERN' is on the cornice in sunk lettering. Inside is a horseshoe bar counter and deal panelling from the late 19th. It is now a Young’s pub.

Douglas Road
Beyond Canonbury Grove there were fields until in the 1850s Douglas Road was built. It overlooks a stretch of the New River.
40 between the Marquess pub and the terraced houses, is a glass house by Future Systems - Jan Kaplicky and Amanda Levete built in 1993-4 with engineering by Arup.  It is like a glass version of the three-storey houses nearby. At the back – seen from Arran Road - is a slope of plate glass. The front wall is predominantly of glass bricks.  Inside, are metal staircases to three decks and a freestanding service core.

Ecclesbourne Road
Ecclesbourne Road Primary School. This was opened by the London School Board in 1886 as Eccelesbourne Road Board School.  This school closed in 2004 and is now flats.

Elizabeth Avenue
This was previously William Street and Oxford Street.

Elmore Street
Only a short distance of the Essex Road end of the street is in this square –but this was once James Street.  Up to the 19th much of the area was brick-fields.
77 The Children’s House. This a nursery in what was a church mission and subsequently a Hindu Temple,
BAPS Swamiarayan Hindu Mission. In 1950 devotees began to meet in a house near Baker Street. In 1970 they began to look for somewhere to open a mandir and came upon this site in Islington and purchased it. It was refurbished it and it became the first Swaminarayan mandir in the western world. Sacred images were brought from Kampala and a Vedic ceremony was performed with thousands witnessing the procession. In 1972 thousands of Indians expelled from Uganda came here and the Islington mandir became too small although in 1974 large painted murtis retrieved from the Tororo mandir were installed. In 1980 they began work on the Neasden Mandir and eventually moved there
St.John the Baptist Church Hall and Mission.  This church was in Cleveland Road, was bombed in the Second World War and eventually demolished.

Essex Road
Essex Road was originally ‘Lower Road’. It may have had Roman origins and was part of route out of north London which led to Ermine Street. From 1735 it was part of the Islington Turnpike Trust.
144a The Green Man. Mid-19th pub sometimes called ‘The Old Green Man’. It is on the corner of Greenman Street which might indicate that it is older than it appears. This had some Courage signage outside which has now gone since 2016. The dodgy geezers remain as does a Courage sign on the corner high above the door.
161 Carlton Cinema. This opened in 1930 as a cine-variety theatre for the Clavering and Rose circuit. The architect was George Coles and it was a lavish building with an Egyptian style facade in multi-coloured Hathernware tiles. Inside the style is Empire style - Egyptian in the foyer and French Renaissance in the auditorium. There was a cafe for patrons. And a Compton 3Manual/6Rank theatre organ plus Full stage facilities with a 26 feet deep stage and four dressing rooms. It was taken over by Associated British Cinemas Ltd. In 1935 and re-named ABC in 1962. It closed in 1972 and was converted into a bingo hall as the Mecca Bingo Club, but closed in 2007. Resurrection Manifestations purchased the building and set about refurbishing the building for Church, community use and private hire. Church use began in late-summer 2013 and the building is now Gracepoint, avenue for arts, educational shows, family performances, theatre, corporate meetings and events.
River Place Health Centre
181 Essex Road Station. Opened 1904 it lies between Highbury and Islington and Old Street on the Great Northern Railway. It was built by the Great Northern and City Railway on its underground route between Finsbury Park and Moorgate.   It had 16’ diameter tunnels to take main line stock and Great Northern Line trains to the City. In 1913 it was taken over by the Metropolitan Railway and thus became part of the underground as the Northern Line. In 1922 the name was changed to ‘Canonbury and Essex Road’. In 1939 work which had been done as part of the Northern Heights scheme was abandoned. It became underused and neglected. In 1975 the Northern Line closed it and the station transferred to British Rail and in 1976 it reopened for main line trains from Finsbury Park to Moorgate. It was never modernised and access to the platforms is by a dimly lit spiral staircase.
207-229 works 1960s. 1970s North London Polytechnic School of Librarianship, The Polytechnic of North London was founded following a merger in 1971 of the Northern and North-Western polytechnics. The North-Western Polytechnic had acquired premises here in the 1960s. The site later became council offices for Islington planners, and is now flats.
229 This building – at the north end of the complex later owned by the Polytechnic, is shown as mainly in Canonbury Street. In 1915 the whole block was in use by Danneman whose piano works fronted on Northampton Street round the corner. Later maps show this building marked as a print factory.  In the 1950s it was an address used by Carnegie Brothers, founded in London in 1911 who from the 1930s were Carnegie Chemicals Ltd of Welwyn Garden City. They produced a range of pharmaceutical products.  It was also an address used by the Cellusan Co., who made items like tampons and maternity pads – however company directors were all called Carnegie.  .
196 Akari. This Japanese restaurant is in an old pub.  This was The Three Brewers from the early 19th owned by Ind Coope.  It has also been called Bloom's, Leopold Bloom; Speculator (owned by Stella’s Irish cousin) Nubar, Le Montmarte and Jersey.
St. Matthew’s church. This began as a temporary chapel, founded in 1836 in what had previously been a Wesleyan Methodist chapel. A church was built in 1850, designed by A.D. Gough. In 1966 it was demolished. It was asymmetrically placed with a thin spire.
246-90 Annett’s Crescent built 1822-6.  Architect was William Burnell Hue, In the 1970s the Council restored the houses, and the strip of garden in front.  It is the only early crescent in the parish.
279 Northampton Arms pub. This dated from the 1830s. Long since demolished it is now flats.
292 /Council Odffices. This  was built in 1812 for W. Weaver, and in 1819 was bought by Ridley as a floor-cloth factory whose firm held it until 1893.  It was then acquired by A. Probyn, a beer bottler, whose firm, founded in 1791 remained here until 1958 as Foster Probyn Ltd.  In 1962 Young’s Brewers moved in, leaving in 1972. Islington Council restored the exterior and converted it as council offices removing colourful advertising in the process.  It is a four-storey Palladian building with Georgian-style windows; the classical porch has been removed although a balustrade with stone balls has survived.

Greenman Street
Was Greenman Lane, named after an old alehouse.  This square covers some of the north site of the street – i.e. excludes the Peabody Estate.
Tibby Place. This small park was once the location of Tibberton Baths. Part of the structure remains as a memorial
Tibberton Street Baths. This opened in 1895 had a mixed bathing pool with spectator gallery and changing cubicles and a stepped diving stage. There was also a dedicated men only pool and a Ladies only pool. There were ladies and men’s slipper baths, a remedial pool and a public laundry.
The Baths were built on the site of hat manufacturer, Thomas Wontner’s mansion

Morton road
Morton Road Park. Local park with a children’s playground, a tarmac ball court with basketball hoops and football goals and shrub beds. It is on the site of 19th housing.

New North  Road
The road was built in the early 19th linking the start of the Old North Road at Shoreditch with the Great North Road at Highbury Corner.  It was a ‘propriety road – a turnpike road built as a private road by a group of proprietors. By Act of Parliament it was managed by the Metropolitan Turnpike Trust from 1849.
Victoria Cinema. This was at the corner of and Ecclesbourne Road and opened in 1912. It was designed by architects Lovegrove & Papworth, and always operated as an Independent cinema. It closed in 1957 and became a warehouse. It was demolished in 2001 and there are now flats on site.
286 Corley’s Tavern. Originally called the Kenilworth Castle.  The pub dated from least the 1840s and may have been earlier. It was later rebuilt following bomb damage as a modern estate pub in 1953.  Demolished 2011.

Northampton Street
Street-names in the vicinity of Canonbury House recall the former manor 20 and its owners the Spencer Compton family. Marquesses of Northampton
6-18 The Ivories.  The Daneman piano company’s art deco factory now converted to office use.
2 Daneman, piano manufacturers.  The firm dated from 1893 and were still making pianos in 1980.  William Danemann established the firm here and from the 1950s they were one of the largest London manufacturers of grand pianos. They also made school uprights in their hundreds for education authorities. In 1982 Broadwood purchased Danemann Pianos and the factory and manufacture of pianos ended in 1983. the Danemann name is carried on in the piano business and since 2017 Danemann Pianos are manufactured in China.

River Place
National School. This was attached to St. Stephen’s church. It was built in 1842 with a National Society grant and also financed by subscriptions. It closed in the 1880s and was sold in1882.
Urban Hope. This is a youth and community project to the rear of St.Stephen’s church and using the space which was once their church hall.
Congregational chapel.  This was registered from 1864 and a Lecture room added by 1872.  It closed 1909.
14 Toy Factory – this appears to have been on the site of the congregational chapel until replaced by the rear of the health centre, fronting in Essex Road.

Rotherfield Street
St. Matthew's School. this had opened in 1837 in Essex Road. As a National school in 1862 it moved to Queens Place which then ran across the area which is now the Bentham estate. The new building was used for Girls and infants.  The school closed in 1901
140 Duke of Cleveland. Pub. This closed in 2006 and is now flats.  Until recently the pubs name was displayed on a poster at the top of the north facing wall – and above it the same can still partly be made out in concrete lettering.

Willow Bridge Road
Part of Frog Lane – the old road from London to Highbury. Laid out in the 19th. Crosses over an old line of the New River;

AIM. Web site
Brewery History. Web site
British History online. Islington.  Web site
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Clunn. Face of London
Cosh.  New River 
Cosh. Squares of Islington
Essex-Lopresti. New River 
Historic England. Web site
Islington History and Archaeology Society. Web site
London Borough of Islington. Web site 
London Encyclopaedia
London Gardens Online. Web site
London Mandir Baps. Web sit
Manna Project.  Web site.
Pevsner and Cherry. London North
Pubology. Web site
Pubs Galore. Web site
Sugden. Highbury,
Thames Basin Industrial Archaeology Group. Report
Wild Swimming News.  Web site
Willatts. Streets of Islington

Thursday, 17 January 2019


Post to the west Sandown
Post to the north Imber

Douglas Road
Coal duty obelisk on the railway embankment in front of 100 near the junction with Blair Avenue.  It displays a coat of arms.

Littleworth Common.
This was part of the Ditton Commons and known as Ditton Marsh, as it was once an open wet meadow. A large pond has been built on the edge of the Common. It has secondary woodland - birches and bracken – and roe deer.

Lower Green Road
Coal tax post. This is on the south side of the road opposite Lower Green Open Space
Bridge carrying the main line to Surbiton out of Esher Station.  This bridge was – from the abutments – once considerably wider.  Old maps show sidings on the embankment above the road on the east side of the bridge.  In the embankment here is a brick structure which appears to include a blocked tunnel and old maps mark a ‘subway’. This subway was an exit from platforms 1 and 2 and was financed by the Racing Club as a quicker way to get to the racecourse from the station.

Portsmouth Road
This is the A307 and the old route of the A3, London to Portsmouth road.  By the 17th, the Portsmouth Road had strategic significance as the road link between London and the main port of the Royal Navy. The modern A3 follows its general route but by-passes several urban areas - including Esher. However this part of the original route has retained the name, Portsmouth Road.
Scilly Isles. This is a double roundabout on the old main road which was named thus in the 1930s when the Kingston by-pass was added to this junction – apparently evolving from ‘silly islands’ which was how the new traffic islands were perceived.
Marquis of Granby. This is a Greene King house. The pub building dates from the 19th. The Marquis of Granby is said to have bought porter for his troops – but was generally careful of their welfare. Many pubs were named after him.
Thames Ditton and Esher Golf Course. This was founded in 1892 and built on common land. It lies between Sandown Park Racecourse and the Marquis of Granby pub (
Café Rouge. This was the Orleans Arms which closed in the 1990s.
White Lady. This stands outside what was the Orleans Arms. It is a large cylindrical block of limestone and is a milestone known traditionally as the "White Lady". It was erected in 1767 and stands on a plinth, crowned by a ball finial. There are three vertical columns giving places and distances and encourages travellers to use Hampton Court Bridge not the turnpike.
Milestone. A series of triangular-shaped milestones were placed along the Portsmouth Road, probably in the late 18th, giving the distances from Hyde Park Corner, Portsmouth. The one near the Orleans Arms is now missing.
Majestic Wine Warehouse.  This retail facility appears to be on the site of what was a garage on the 1930s - possibly called The Mikado.
Thames House. This 1970s office block appears to be built on the site of the City Arms Public House.  Behind the pub was a lane called ‘City Place’ – which presumably is the site of the modern Sandown Gate.
Toll House. This is on the corner of Littleworth Common Lane and is said to be a toll house. There is a cylindrical boundary stone set into the wall. It is now in use as a nursery,
City Coal post by Old Toll House and almost built into it

Sandown Park Racecourse
Only the eastern section of the racecourse is in this square.
Sandown Park Golf Course. This is on part of the race course.
Race Course. The Park, which was the first enclosed racecourse in Britain, opened in 1875.  It was the first purpose built racecourse with enclosures, designed to be a leisure destination.  It is run by the Jockey Club.

Station Road
Esher Station. This opened in 1838 and lies between Hersham and Surbiton on South Western Trains.  It was originally built between Woking Common and Nine Elms by Brassey on the outskirts of Esher and called “Ditton Marsh” and near Weston Green. It became Esher & Hampton Court in 1840, Esher & Claremont in 1844, Esher in 1913, Esher for Sandown Park in 1934 and Esher in 1955. 3 By 1840 the railway had been extended to Southampton and the company was called the London and South Western Railway. It had been first designed as a direct, safer route to London from Southampton. Stations were built as distribution points for goods. Howe very 1848 passenger numbers led to opening Vauxhall and Waterloo Bridge Stations. Esher station was expanded by 1888 with four tracks and royal waiting rooms for royal family members living at Claremont. From 1940 Esher had special platforms for the race days at Sandown Park. With a considerable increase in passengers. Sidings were also built to the west to store these race day trains. A signal box known as ‘Esher East’ had to be installed to deal with the extra traffic. These platforms were demolished in 1972. The ticket office was underneath the down platform and on the forecourt was a taxi rank and car park. The freight yard closed in 1962 and is now a car park. Buildings on the middle platforms were removed in 1966. The station was rebuilt in 1988 with a new footbridge and station building.

Closed pubs. Web site
Clunn. The Face of London
Haselfoot. Batsford Guide to the Industrial Archaeology of South East England.
Historic England. Web site
Industrial Archaeology of the Borough of Elmbridge. Web site
Jockey Club, Web site
London Transport. Country walks 
Marquis of Granby. Web site
Penguin Surrey
Pevsner Surrey
Reynolds. A History of Esher Station. Web site
Sandown Park. Web site
Surrey History Journal
Wikipedia. As appropriate

Wednesday, 16 January 2019

Epsom Downs

Bunbury Way
Housing Estate. Built by Charles Church on the site of Epsom Downs Station and its marshalling yards. Windey lane, oldey looking houses all built in the 1980s. Amazing.
Epsom Downs Station. This opened in 1865 and was the terminus of the Southern Rail Line from Banstead. This station was built by the Banstead and Epsom Downs Railway Company to service race goers to Epsom Race Course via Sutton and was  opened by London Brighton and South Coast Railway designed by David J Field,.  The address was Longdown Lane South. Originally it was half a mile from Epsom racecourse and, for 36 years until Tattenham Corner station was opened it was the station for race traffic but no road was built from the station to the Grandstand until 1892. They also handed school treat days.   It had nine platforms, with no shelters, which were in in use for only six days a year. The platforms were reduced to two in 1972, and later reduced to single track operation in 1982.
Station masters office and house on a small covered concourse at the front.
Signal box. This was built by Saxby & Farmer in 1879. It was burnt down in 1981.
A turntable lay on the east side of the approach line. To the north of the turntable the road divided into two with one road terminating at a brick water tower.
Goods. A full range of goods was handled including livestock. There were two private sidings for Gadson and Kerr.
Epsom Downs Station.  The current station opened in a new building and booking office were opened in 1989. It lies at the north end of Bunbury Way.

Burgh Heath Road
South Hatch Stables. This includes timber-framed boxes built when Scobie Breasley and Reg Akehurst trained here. The yard dates from 1900 and includes a staff cottage and hostel by the road here. It has planning consent for demolition and housing on site
46 South Hatch House. This was separated from the stables and sold.  It has operated as a pub and restaurant as the Downs Bar but is now closed.  People who have lived there include Reg Akehurst (horse trainer), Arthur Breasley (jockey), Arthur Nightingall (jockey), Bessie Nightingall (motor racing driver), John Nightingall (horse trainer), Walter Nightingall (horse trainer), and William Nightingall (horse trainer).  It appears to have included the Racing Club Museum
Beech Cottage. This was used as the Epsom Golf Club clubhouse
Shifnal Cottage. This was the head lad's cottage for South Hatch and was and named after the 1878 Grand National winner who was trained by John Nightingall.
Wendover stables. Roger Ingram Stables since 1993. Over 300 winners have been trained here
Epsom Urban District Council Reservoir No 1, This was t a height of 360 feet above sea level, had a capacity of 150,000 gallons It is now filled in.

College Road (in the square to the north)
Epsom College. This was the Royal Medical Benevolent Institution in 1853, now it is a boys’ public school. Only the southern section is in this square which mainly comprises the college sports grounds.
Sports centre. This has two large halls and smaller ones for fencing and other specialist sports. It also has a climbing wall. It has provision for cricket nets, providing indoor cricket practice

Longdown Lane
Epsom Golf Club. Only the northern section of the course is in this square. The area had been used for golf before the club was set up. In 1888 residents started to take up the game and a preliminary meeting was held. As a result a club was formed and a course laid out. They used Beech Cottage as the clubhouse and then built a new one in 1893 helped by Lord Rosebery and designed by J Hatchard-Smith.  Later a snooker extension was built and this remains with its 19th fittings
Air raid shelter. This was built for the Second World War opposite the station. In 1940 Surrey County Council proposed five deep level air-raid shelters. They were to be near stations but in open country, The Epsom shelter was built in 1941 fronted the road for 1,500 people. The Longdown Lane shelter was below road level entered via a sloping path in a cutting. A bomb was exploded over the shelter to observe the effects detonated by Ministry of Home Security Research Department staff with no reported effects on the animals or birds arranged nearby. The shelter probably came into use in early in 1942.

Disused Stations. Web site
Chelsea Speleological Newsletter
Epsom College. Web site
Epsom Golf Club. Web site
Industrial Archaeology in Reigate and Banstead
Notable Abodes. Web site
Penguin. Surrey
Pevsner. Surrey
Racing Post. Web site

Tuesday, 15 January 2019

Epsom Town Centre

Post to the north Epsom

Ashley Avenue
This is now the southern part of the road which encircles the Ashley Centre and part of the A24. The road appears to have been a 1930s cul de sac running westward from Ashley Road between the police station and Ashley House
2 Epsom Gateway. Office block
Epsom Playhouse. This opened in 1984 and has a programme featuring professional and community productions. I5 includes the Myers Studio which used as a regular venue for professional productions, Jazz evenings, children's shows and community events.
Statue. Outside the entrance to The Playhouse is a statuette of John Gilpin as 'Spectre de la Rose' by Tom Merrifield
Petrofina House. Petrofina were an early office occupant of the Ashley Centre.
Bradley's Brewery. The brewery appears to have originated with James Chandler who with his son in 1824 to set up as brewers and maltsters. They were bankrupt by 1857 and William Bradley took over the brewery and rebuilt it in 1870 to brew ale and porter. The brewery was in South Street and Ashley Road parallel to what is now the south side of Ashley Avenue. . The brewery had a number of local public houses. They were taken over by Page and Overtons of Croydon in 1903.  The buildings became a factory used during the Second World War for parts but demolished in the 1980s for development of the town centre.
Ashley Works.  This appears to have been part of the defunct brewery buildings and at various times was used by a woodworker, dynamo and machine tool maker, an upholsterer and a pharmaceutical manufacturer.

Ashley Road
Ebbisham Hall and Myers Hall – which stood behind it.  In 1929 these halls were opened by the Epsom branch of the Brotherhood. This was an organisation for men in trade connected to the Congregational Church. There was a billiard room above Myers Hall and a stage in Ebbisham Hall. There was an impressive entrance in Ashley Road and its facade was incorporated into a store in the Ashley Centre
Ashley House.  The date of 1769 is shown on the rainwater head. Its name comes from Mary Ashley who lived there until 1849. It was apparently built by a London soap boiler called John Riley and was a private residence until the early 1920s when it was bought by a local builder who altered it and sold it as offices of the Rural District Council in 1926. In 1934 it became a Surrey County Council property used as a Registry Office and later Social Services. It has now been converted into flats.
Magistrates Court. In 1857 a courthouse was held in Ashley House and later a Courthouse, was built opposite the house. Opening in 1912, and extended in 1931. It suffered some damage in both World Wars. It was refurbished in 1992, Epsom was no longer a Petty Sessional Division after 1993, although the courthouse continued to be used, and was later used by Immigration Appeals Tribunals.  It has since been demolished and he site is now housing.
Epsom Methodist church. The church dates from 1914 moving from an earlier chapel. The church hall was built in the late 1950s and there were later additions. The Leyland Rooms were named for Dr Leyland. The church now has an active youth section with a new building, and also hosts a Chinese church with Chinese language services.
University of the Creative Arts. Several buildings of the Epsom campus are in Ashley Road.  The University is basically a coalition of a number of art schools in Kent and Surrey which have evolved from various institutions since the 19th. In the case of Epsom this appears to be the Epsom Technical College. The Epsom campus opened in 1973 and was then the Epsom School of Art and Design. It now hosts the university’s fashion, graphics, music marketing and business courses.
Police Station. Home Office approval was granted for the erection of a police station in Epsom which was occupied in 1853. This was on the corner of what was Ashley Avenue. In 1919 the police station was badly damaged during riot by Canadian soldiers and in July 1944 it was hit by a German V1 Flying Bomb thus a temporary station was set up at Worple Lodge until 1946.
Swail House. This is supported housing for blind and partially sighted people built by Action for Blind People.  It was Worple Lodge which was bought by the London Association for the blind and opened in 1952, with money left by Martha Smail.

Clayhill Green
This is registered common land.

Dorking Road
Turnpike Road to Brighton going via Dorking and Horsham
Abele Grove. House, built in the early 19th in about 6 acres of lawns and pleasure grounds, with a wooded grove, a dell and a kitchen garden. In 1908 it became a private nursing home for the aged or infirm. It also operated as a private mental institution... It then became a private residence until 1928, when became a convent and school for the Sisters of the Sacred Hearts, a French order. It was a private school with its own farm and orchard and closed in 1992. In 1997 it was converted into the Haywain pub. It is now a Premier inn
White House Farm and Murrays Meadows. This was pasture south of the railway and part of the Hookfield Estate. It lay behind The Elms and Abele Grove.

High Street
1 The Cinema Royal. The building had previously been Chuter Brothers builder’s merchants. Mr H. Farmer of Redhill drew up conversion plans. It opened in either late-1910 operated by the Thompson family. There were special performances during the First World War in support of local hospitals. It was refurbished in 1929 when sound was and it had a free car park. It closed in 1938. The land had been compulsory purchased to widen so it was demolished, but because the Second World War the widening never happened and the site remained empty. That side of the road was later redeveloped with shops.
22 Charter Inn.   Charrington House it opened 1938 closed 1970. On maps this is shown as a single building but 22 is now part of the terrace. Above the door is a fan shape with the 1955 on it. Thus the pub must have been rebuilt with the terrace of shops. It is now an ‘interiors’ shop.
100 this early 18th building has a 19th metal standard alongside. This was a corn, hay, straw, coal, oil and garden supplies store. Now an insurance business
112c late 17th shop. Now a hair and beauty business.
114-116 The Odeon Cinema was built for and operated by the Oscar Deutsch chain. It opened in 1937 when the local Council insisted on the facade was of narrow bricks and stone dressings by 1961. The foyer was used for various exhibitions and publicity displays. Audiences were dwindling and from 1961 Bingo replaced the matinee film but this was not a success, and became part of the Rank Organisation following the merger of Odeon and Gaumont British in 1941. The Odeon closed in 1971 and within a month the building had been sold to a property developer and was demolished, a Sainsbury supermarket was built on the site but Sainbury’s have now moved and it is a TKMAXX
The George. This was built at the same time as the cinema but replaced a much older pub of the same name. It was demolished with the cinema,
126-134 Albion terrace. This was built in 1706 by Dr. Livingstone an apothecary, who established his New Well in South Street.
134 The Albion. Probably currently closed. Has been an Irish pub recently.  It is thought that a second medicinal well was discovered around 1699 on land behind this pub.   This is where the magistrates met in Petty Sessions.  Had originally been a coffee house.
137-139 this is late 17th Bramshott House.  Apparently Samuel Pepys said that Nell Gwynne and Lord Buckhurst were here. It is now Cafe Nero
147-153 Assembly Rooms. This was built in 1692 and was initially called the New Tavern. It incorporated an existing bowling green and became a venue for activities such as bear baiting and cock-fighting. Tt was built as two ranges with a central carriage road between them.  In the rear section were two long rooms – an assembly room and a dancing room. The front section had a coffee room, a tavern and a billiard room.  It later became known as ‘Waterloo House’ and housed Bailey’s drapers shop, along with others. In the 18th plays were staged here, by the 19th the building was divided into shops, and a farriers. It was used by a series of stores and then from 1966 the National Counties Building Society, a company founded in 1896 as the Post Office Building Society with offices in London and its primary aim of providing postal workers with loan and financial services moved here.  It later became a Weatherspoon’s pub.
King's Shade Walk and entrance to the Ashley centre. This is on the site of the King's Head Hotel which fronted the High Street. It is mentioned by by Pepys in 1667 but had been trading under this name since 1663. In the late 1770s it was used for vestry meetings, and in the 1830s the original courtyard was enclosed to form a large assembly room in which county balls, dinners, concerts and fetes were held.  There was also a corn exchange along there and a livery stable at the rear. It had been rebuilt, in 1838 with a projecting entrance and an assembly room. It was demolished in 1957.
Kings Shades. This was another pub which stood next to the Kings Head.
90 Spread Eagle Hotel. This is now a clothes shop. The pub dated from around 1710 and by the mid-19th was a hotel with billiard room, assembly rooms and so on. Spread Vestry meetings were held here in the 18th and it was used by coach services to London too. It continued trading as a public house until about 1990 when the deterioration of its interior led to its closure. The main building was taken over as a shop in 1994. Part of the site has been developed as Spread Eagle Walk Shopping Centre.
91 Metrobank was the White Hart Hotel which closed in the 1980.   Later it became a shop and then a Building Society
Horse trough. This 19th trough once stood at the junction with Church Street. It has a trough for dogs at ground level and a higher one for horses and a tap for people. There is an inscription "Presented by the Metropolitan Drinking Fountain and Cattle Trough Association”. It is sometimes planted with flowers now.
Market Clock tower. This was built in 1848 with toilets at its base. Built is on the site of an older, clock, which included the lock-up while outside were the stocks, still reportedly in occasional use not so long before that time. Originally the tower housed the town's horse-drawn fire engine but in the early 20th it was surrounded by railings and held street lamps.
Pond. This was to the west of the tower and was filled in during 1854

Housing surrounding the site of Hookfield House. In the 16th part of the area appears to have been named after someone called Hook.
Hookfield House. This was a late 17th house demolished in 1858. It was I a large park with a conservatory. It replaced an earlier house and was itself replaced with a white brick house. This was sold in 1919 and was bought by a building company who developed the area in 1937. The house became the Hookfield Park Hotel but in the late 1950s it was pulled down for houses in what is now, Lindsay Close.
1 this was the lodge to Hookfield House

Ladbroke Road
Epsom Church of England Girls’ School. This girls’ school opened as an extension of the school in Hook Road in 1871.  The site is now housing.

Rosebery Park
This park, Epsom's largest open space, was built on a site called Reading’s Mead. It was donated to the Borough by Lord Rosebery in 1913.  An original bandstand has now gone. There is a pond remaining from the original design, plus a fountain presented by Epsom Protection Society.
Public air raid shelters for the Second World War for 1,440 people were built there.

The road is named after a house which once stood in South Street next to Acorn 3 pub
St Joseph's Catholic Primary School

St Elizabeth Drive
2 An ice-house survives behind the house in woodland. In the grounds, of what was The Elms.  One of the earliest examples in the country, it is accessible from St. Margaret's Drive. Ice house, probably built around 1700. Brick, set in an earth mound at end of what was a long a canal.

Saint Margaret’s Drive
This road, at the back of what was Abele Grove, along with other estate roads is built around a large open space called Abele Green.
St.Joseph’s Church. In the 19th Benedictines at Cheam, were responsible for Epsom Catholics. In 1859 a church was set up in a cottage near the railway and then land bought in Heathcote Road, The church was opened but there, were problems and eventually a new site was located and dedicated in 1996. The new church opened in 1991.

South Street
Once called New Inn Lane. Behind the shops at the north west end were rows of cottages – Controversy Cottages and The Folly.
Epsom Cycle Works. Said to be at the junction with the High Street in the early 20th. It was run by Tom Hersey
New Wells site. This was accessed via an alleyway alongside the Albion Pub, which now goes to a garage. New Wells was built in 1690 by a John Livingstone who also built shops, bowling greens, gaming houses and a dance floor there. As well as the coffeehouse which became The Albion?
37 Theatre Court. This was once the site used by Epsom Coaches and Buses. The company was founded by Herbert R Richmond in 1920 with one Model T Ford charabanc.  In 1934 they moved here and left in 1971. The site is now new build flats
30 Acorn3. This pub was recently called Symond’s Well.  It was previously called The Magpie but the name was changed in 1996. It is near where Dr. Livingstone an apothecary, established the New Well together with a bowling green and other leisure activities. The name ‘Symonds’ refer to an earlier owner.
Land between No 30 and 32. A ‘disused well’ is shown here on maps up until the 1960s although there is apparently no sign of it now. A private well appears to have been sunk on land owned by Mr. Symonds in the late 17th. This is said to have been on land near the Magpie public house but the exact location is uncertain.
53 The Shrubbery early 18th house which was on the site which is now the Ashley Avenue junction
55 Oracle House.  This is on the site of Randalls Mineral Water Factory. They originated with the production of bottled mineral waters and fruit juices in 1837 and in 1884 they moved to Epsom, eventually to 18 South Street. From 1935 they were at 55 South Street. In the Second World War; the premises were used by the Fairey Aviation Company for the manufacture of aircraft components. Randalls closed in the early 1980s when the Ashley Centre shopping mall was built.
Path up to Mount Hill House – the area of the house is now retirement housing called ‘Saddlers Court’.
Mount Hill Gardens. A small, quiet garden park on the site of gardens of Mount Hill House. The park was opened to the public in 1965.
Sweetbriar Lane. This old footpath runs along the south end of Rosebery Park
77 Queen's Head. A pub of this name was on the site in 1746, but the present building is a rebuild.  The inn-sign was Queen Adelaide, facing Epsom. It appears to have closed in 2011 and is now housing.
Woodcote Hall. This was called The Poplars in the 1880s
and it is on the corner of South Street and Woodcote Road. It was rebuilt in the mid-18th and was converted to flats in about 1930.

Station Approach
The road is now wall to wall modern flats plus a Tesco, a Travelodge and some other shops.
Epsom Station. This opened in 1859 and now lies between Ashstead and East Ewell, West Ewell or Cheam Stations.  In 1859 a minimal station was opened on this site by a small independent company, the Epsom & Leatherhead Railway as a single-line track to Leatherhead. Originally this had a wooden building and a canopy of sorts. Changes were made to improve facilities for race days. Later that year the London & South Western Railway came to Epsom with a line from Waterloo, via Raynes Park, following a plan initiated by the Wimbledon & Dorking Railway. A bridge, called Volunteer Bridge, was also built across East Street. This was built by the London and Croydon Railway who already had an Epsom Station in the Upper High Street (in the square to the east) and the new line connected the two stations.  It meant that trains from London Bridge and West Croydon could run through to Leatherhead.  Later connections went to Dorking, Horsham, Effingham and Guildford.  In the late 1920s these lines were converted to third rail electrification. In 1928 a new art deco station was built here which could handle the trains of both the original rail companies. There were two island platforms with glass canopies. Subway and ticket offices were on the south side of the embankment and one side of the subway was fenced off for parcels and luggage.  The station has now been rebuilt again.   The main ticket office and station frontage have been completely demolished and rebuilt to include shops and a hotel. It was completed in 2013.
Goods. This was closed in 1928 except for two sidings used for horse-boxes for race horses arriving by rail. These were removed in 1986
Signal Box. This was on a gantry straddling the lines at the south end of the station and dated from 1929. It was taken out of use on 29 July 1990 and demolished in 1993.

Station Way
This is an alleyway between 86-88 High Street. It was changed in 1929 when the station was rebuilt. It originally ran directly from the High Street to the station.

The Parade
Epsom Town Hall. Built 1933 designed by Hubert Fairweather, and William Pite
1 Comrades Club CIU registered club. Thus is currently being rebuilt as part of hotel scheme.

Waterloo Road
Before the 1920s the road also covered the roadway now known as Station Approach.
BRM coachworks. This is basically a vehicle repair business dating from the 1970s
32 Electrical substation – this is a railway structure
Railway bridges.  There are three bridges here bringing lines into and out of Epsom Station to destinations to the east
Fire Station. In the late 19th the Epsom Fire Station was in Waterloo Road, backing onto the railway embankment at what is now the east end of Station Approach. The horses were stabled elsewhere and had to be fetched before the engine could proceed to a fire. They moved to a new station in 1911.
30 Printbarn Ltd. Estate Management in printers workshop rear of No.30
Epsom Square. This was previously the Ebbisham Centre. Originally built in the 1990s it site was reconfigured in 2017 into a ‘welcoming café culture location’. The site was previously ‘Boots Car Park’ where there were also public toilets.
Library. Epsom Library moved into temporary accommodation in a house Waterloo Road in 1947. It stayed there for fifty years, until the redevelopment of the Ebbisham Centre.  It was replaced by a pre-fabricated building, in The Parade in 1998. The new Epsom Library opened in 2001 as part of The Ebbisham Centre. Part of the complex is on the site of the old Epsom Library in Waterloo Road but it is accessed from the High Street.
16 The White House. Listed 18th house used as offices.
Foresters’ Hall. This was originally a Wesleyan Methodist chapel built in 1863. The Epsom Court of the Foresters was founded in 1860, and known as Court Wellington after a pub where the first meetings were held. Afterwards they moved to what became known as Foresters Hall. This large building, stood until the 1960s.
5 William Page’s Waterloo Cycle Works in Waterloo Road, which had been founded in 1907, and which became an engine works. On the frontage are terracotta roundels, a terracotta frieze and a central oriel window.

West Hill
Was previously Clay Hill
Fair Green. This is registered common land.
14 Sycamore Centre. Pupil Referral Unit. It was originally Orchard School. This was a private primary school described as a "Froebel Kindergarten”. This closed in the early 1960s. from 1970 it was the Clayhill Centre for remedial Education – described as leading edge.
Christ Church hall. Dates from 1899 and was sold to a private school in 1986
22 Epsom Christian Fellowship.  The group dates from the early 1970s and for some years meetings were held in a rented hall. When this became too small the present premises were bought in 1984 and extended. In 1988 the Cornerstone School also flourished here until its closure in 2015.
26 Eclipse House .  Offices in what was the Eclipse Inn., named after the invincible horse of the 1770's, whose descendant include many classic Race winners, with no owners willing to race their horses against him he was retired to stud nearby.
West Hill House. Offices in a copy of a house which dated from about 1700 which was rebuilt in the late 20th
23-25 Hookfield Mews. Hookfield was a house to the south. This was the stable block and estate entrance. It is now sheltered housing.
Epsom Court Farm. Kingswood House was built on this site where there were existing paddocks
Kingswood House. This was built here by Colonel Kelly, owner of Eclipse which was retired to stud here He made so much money that he built a big house around 1785  to entertain the elite of the racing world. He had 35 paddocks for his large stud of stallions, brood mares, colts and fillies."
West Hill Infants School. This opened in 1844 in converted stables with an endowment from Miss Elizabeth Trotter of Horton Manor. It was extended in 1872 but later condemned as insanitary before closure in 1925 and subsequent demolition.
Kingswood House School. This is on the site of Kingswood House and the Kelly stables.  It is a ‘preparatory’ school, founded in 1899 and moved here in 1920.

West Street
The extension of West Street south is post Second World War.
4 Marquis of in an 18th building with a later porch.
13 Old Manor House. Early 18th building, this was ever a real manor house. Now offices and flats
15 White House. 18th house now offices and flats
21 British Legion. 18th house. This is closed and is now used by a nursery.
Wall between Manor House Court and 15 West Street. This dates from 1680-87 and is stone and red brick in English garden wall bond with lower courses of clunch and greensand. It has tiles and carved stone said to be from Nonsuch Palace.  In 1706 entrances were cut into the wall to give access to a bowling green, and later infilled
Territorial Army Hut. 154 Cadet Detachment ACF, ACF Hut,

White Horse Drive
This was the original path to Epsom Wells on Epsom Common
Tamarisk Cottage. 18th weatherboarded house. This was probably the dairy for the Elms estate.
Rosebery School. This was built on land given to the borough by Lord Rosebery. It was originally Lord Rosebery Girls County Secondary School from 1924l and later an amalgamation of Rosebery Grammar School for Girls and Epsom County School for Girls. It is now an ‘academy’ since 2011.

Woodcote Road
Epsom Sports Club. Francis Schnadhorst Memorial Ground. This was secured in perpetuity for the Epsom Cricket Club in 1934 by the Schnadhorst family. The Club, which was founded in 1800, has played at Woodcote since 1860.It is now home to a number of other sports including croquet, hockey and lacrosse.

Abdy. Epsom Past
Architects Journal. Web site
Beamon. Ice Houses
British Listed Buildings. Web site
EMC. Web site
Epsom and Ewell Council. Web site
Epsom and Ewell History Explorer. Web site
Epsom Christian Fellowship. Web site
Epsom Sports Club. Web site
Kingston Zodiac
London Transport Country walks
Lost Hospitals of London. Web site
Lost Pubs Project
Nairn. Nairn’s London, 
Parker. North Surrey 
Penguin. Surrey
Pevsner. Surrey
Rosebery School. Web site
Sycamore Centre. Web site
University of the Creative Arts.  Web site