Post to the north Imber
Coal duty obelisk on the railway embankment in front of 100 near the junction with Blair Avenue. It displays a coat of arms.
This was part of the Ditton Commons and known as Ditton Marsh, as it was once an open wet meadow. A large pond has been built on the edge of the Common. It has secondary woodland - birches and bracken – and roe deer.
Lower Green Road
Coal tax post. This is on the south side of the road opposite Lower Green Open Space
Bridge carrying the main line to Surbiton out of Esher Station. This bridge was – from the abutments – once considerably wider. Old maps show sidings on the embankment above the road on the east side of the bridge. In the embankment here is a brick structure which appears to include a blocked tunnel and old maps mark a ‘subway’. This subway was an exit from platforms 1 and 2 and was financed by the Racing Club as a quicker way to get to the racecourse from the station.
This is the A307 and the old route of the A3, London to Portsmouth road. By the 17th, the Portsmouth Road had strategic significance as the road link between London and the main port of the Royal Navy. The modern A3 follows its general route but by-passes several urban areas - including Esher. However this part of the original route has retained the name, Portsmouth Road.
Scilly Isles. This is a double roundabout on the old main road which was named thus in the 1930s when the Kingston by-pass was added to this junction – apparently evolving from ‘silly islands’ which was how the new traffic islands were perceived.
Marquis of Granby. This is a Greene King house. The pub building dates from the 19th. The Marquis of Granby is said to have bought porter for his troops – but was generally careful of their welfare. Many pubs were named after him.
Thames Ditton and Esher Golf Course. This was founded in 1892 and built on common land. It lies between Sandown Park Racecourse and the Marquis of Granby pub (
Café Rouge. This was the Orleans Arms which closed in the 1990s.
White Lady. This stands outside what was the Orleans Arms. It is a large cylindrical block of limestone and is a milestone known traditionally as the "White Lady". It was erected in 1767 and stands on a plinth, crowned by a ball finial. There are three vertical columns giving places and distances and encourages travellers to use Hampton Court Bridge not the turnpike.
Milestone. A series of triangular-shaped milestones were placed along the Portsmouth Road, probably in the late 18th, giving the distances from Hyde Park Corner, Portsmouth. The one near the Orleans Arms is now missing.
Majestic Wine Warehouse. This retail facility appears to be on the site of what was a garage on the 1930s - possibly called The Mikado.
Thames House. This 1970s office block appears to be built on the site of the City Arms Public House. Behind the pub was a lane called ‘City Place’ – which presumably is the site of the modern Sandown Gate.
Toll House. This is on the corner of Littleworth Common Lane and is said to be a toll house. There is a cylindrical boundary stone set into the wall. It is now in use as a nursery,
City Coal post by Old Toll House and almost built into it
Sandown Park Racecourse
Only the eastern section of the racecourse is in this square.
Sandown Park Golf Course. This is on part of the race course.
Race Course. The Park, which was the first enclosed racecourse in Britain, opened in 1875. It was the first purpose built racecourse with enclosures, designed to be a leisure destination. It is run by the Jockey Club.
Esher Station. This opened in 1838 and lies between Hersham and Surbiton on South Western Trains. It was originally built between Woking Common and Nine Elms by Brassey on the outskirts of Esher and called “Ditton Marsh” and near Weston Green. It became Esher & Hampton Court in 1840, Esher & Claremont in 1844, Esher in 1913, Esher for Sandown Park in 1934 and Esher in 1955. 3 By 1840 the railway had been extended to Southampton and the company was called the London and South Western Railway. It had been first designed as a direct, safer route to London from Southampton. Stations were built as distribution points for goods. Howe very 1848 passenger numbers led to opening Vauxhall and Waterloo Bridge Stations. Esher station was expanded by 1888 with four tracks and royal waiting rooms for royal family members living at Claremont. From 1940 Esher had special platforms for the race days at Sandown Park. With a considerable increase in passengers. Sidings were also built to the west to store these race day trains. A signal box known as ‘Esher East’ had to be installed to deal with the extra traffic. These platforms were demolished in 1972. The ticket office was underneath the down platform and on the forecourt was a taxi rank and car park. The freight yard closed in 1962 and is now a car park. Buildings on the middle platforms were removed in 1966. The station was rebuilt in 1988 with a new footbridge and station building.
Closed pubs. Web site
Clunn. The Face of London
Haselfoot. Batsford Guide to the Industrial Archaeology of South East England.
Historic England. Web site
Industrial Archaeology of the Borough of Elmbridge. Web site
Jockey Club, Web site
London Transport. Country walks
Marquis of Granby. Web site
Reynolds. A History of Esher Station. Web site
Sandown Park. Web site
Surrey History Journal
Wikipedia. As appropriate