Showing posts from May, 2022

Swanscombe Marshes

Post to the west Ingress Abbey  Botany Marshes Lower Road Greenmanor way

Forest Hill - Station

 Post to the north Forest Hill Post to the east Pool Rivere Perry Hill Post to the south Sydenham Albion Villas Road A lane off Sydenham Park Road 5/6 was Sydenham Children’s Hospital from 1872 to 1885.    Millennium Green on the site of an old tennis club. Church Rise Christ Church, the original parish church of Forest Hill, designed by Ewan Christian 1854; tower and octagonal spire were not built until 1885.   upper floor was inserted at the west end in the 1970s and the sanctuary partitioned off c.1992.   memorial to members of the Tetley tea merchant family, from 1872.    Near the church is a common field called Pickthornes or Westfield, 46 acres. Cibber Road Clyde Place Foresters' Hall, an interesting building of 1868 with thick wind ows and a classical porch. Dacres Estate Flats -London County Council flats, has five brick tower blocks of 1962 along Dacres Road o verlooking Mayow Park.   'Pacific'. At the west end, outside Woodfield House, a s culpture c.1854 f

Hendon - Aircraft Museum

 not edited or finsihed Post to the east Holders Hill Post to the west Burnt Oak Post to the south central Hendon Grahame Park RAF Museum. Concrete and glass galleries of 1969-72 by Industrial Development Group Ltd. Battle of Britain Museum, next to the RAF Museum, 1977-8.     Opened 1978.   RAF Museum, Shop.   Opened by Queen in 1972.   10 Acres of old Hendon airfield, things from First World War Bomber Command Museum, 1983, by Anne Machin of Wimpey Architects. Grahame-White Hangar.   In two parts. The earlier and lower part, c. 1917 (originally one of a pair), is constructed with Belfast trusses, an inexpensive type of wide-span roof with bow- string trusses of timber, invented in Northern Ireland in the c19 and widely used during the First World War. The front row of brick, originally had sliding doors. The other part, of 1918, has four cross-braced steel roof trusses. Belfast truss roof provided a good, way of spanning the large area needed. Listed Grade II but once considered


 this post is not finished, not checked, not edited Post to the north South Lambeth Vauxhall Post to the east Lambeth - Myatts Fields Post to the south Brixton Post to the west - Battersea Wandsworth Road Binfield Road Stockwell Bus Garage. Boldly functional By Adie Button & Partners, with Thomas Bilbow, architect to London Transport Executive.   Engineer A.E.Beer and contactors Wilson Lovatt & sons. 1950-4. A monumental home for 200 buses below a reinforced concrete shell roof on nine arches of considerable span c. 73,000 sq. ft of uninterrupted garaging and completely unobstructed circulating area. 9 bays. This was needed as trams were replaced by buses in the 1950s. Clear floor area of 73,350 space b y using two hinged reinforced concrete ribs. Spanning 194 ft the ribs increase in depth as they reach the ground.   Arched vaults span the spaces between the ribs and include roof lights. Brought into use in April 1952.   Listed Grade II. Gents Underground public convenience i

Harold Hill. Straight Road

Post to the north Harold Hill  Hilldene Post to the east - Harold Hill Post to the south Gallows Corner Post to the west Heaton Grange Harold Wood Okehampton Road Low rise development GLC 1971

Woodford Wells

 this post is not finished Post to the south Woodford Green Post to the west River Ching Highams Park Post to the north Buckhurst Hill Post to the east Roding Valley Hart's Grove Harts Hospital .   Italianate lodge to announces mansion, now a nursing home with housing in the former grounds which is a rebuilding of   1816.  Harts originally built 1617 for Sir Humphery Handforth and demolished 1816. Curved link to a low service building. The grounds were famous in the 18th for the botanical garden of Richard Warner  together with 1775 restored fragments remain from a sham ruined abbey of flint and brick. East Ham Hospital  becane ‘Hart House’ in 1920 and specialised in chest complaints.   Nurses home from 1916.  High Road Site of Wells, Near Three Wells public house on west side to north of New Wells pub, near 9 mile stone, 1768 neglected, St Thomas of Canterbury, Friary Horse and Well  Pub. This was Woodford Well in 1838, and , was Horse and Groom in 1770s then Horse and Well

Woodford Green

 this post is not finshed Post to the south: Woodford, North Circular Post to the eaat Thames Tributary – River Roding - Woodford Bridge Post to the west River Ching Woodford Green and Hale End Post to the north Woodford Wells Broadmead, 1968 council estate Broadway Area of a pond which used to flood the area.   Moved in 1820. Modest with two matching parades of c. 1900, fussily decorated Bank with bowed window. Broomhill Road Grand suburban mansions of the 1890s. 34 well-handled Old English style, gabled with a big mullioned stair window at the back, is by the expert in Elizabethan architecture, J.A. Gotch, 1894. New Jubilee Court , housing of 1988, has a plaque of Queen Victoria, reset from the Jubilee hospital built on this site by J.R. Roberts in 1897. Jubilee hospital, 1899, finance by John Roberts Bt., extended to 54 beds.  Sir James Hawkey Hall. This was the civic hall for the former borough of Wanstead and Woodford, opened 1955 by Sir Winston Churchill. It includes main hall