Woodford. North Circular
this post is not finished
Post to the east Charlie Browns
Post to the south South Woodford
medieval church detached from Woodford, therefore name of hamlet, British Land Co bought Woodford Hall Estate 1869 to lay out houses
Mrs. Gladstone convalescent home
72 Apex Christian Books
Viaduct. The railway line cuts rudely across the old route of George Lane. The level crossing was replaced in the 1940s by a curved concrete viaduct with the Central Line
Woodford Baptist Church, 1895-6. Red brick, rather crude decorated tracery. Pleasant interior, a single space flowing into shallow transepts, unified by a bold, ceiled roof rising in a series of coves, w gallery with openwork panels on slim iron columns. Reordered with seating angled towards a music platform in the transept.
Glebelands Home is a remnant of Glebelands House, demolished in the 1930s.
A few modest stucco terraces of c. 1860, more stylish turn-of-the-century shopping parades
Natwest Bank. The best building dated 1905. Red brick over a stone ground floor, with nicely carved detail over its corner entrance.
Elmhurst. Set back in its own grounds on the side. A tall mid-c18 three-storey front Yellow brick, with a stone frontispiece: first-floor windows distinguished by false balconies. Three-bay extension. Basement at the back. A large room on each side of central hall, Converted by Edward Playne as a hostel for Queen Mary College from 1926.
Three tower blocks 1962-9 concrete with one-storey glazed link buildings by Playne & Lacey,
140 Holmleigh. Eighteenth century. A neat three-bay, three-storey house, with parapet; doorway with fanlight
Churchyard, sensitively redesigned by John Phillips with Julian Linen, many good table tombs, as well as c18 gravestones carved with the usual devices of skulls, angels etc. Near the tower a tall Corinthian marble column of jasper, with entablature formerly carrying an urn, to Peter Godfrey 1769, erected by Sir Robert Taylor in memory of his early patron. Thomas North 1747 obelisk and urn on a bulging sarcophagus, probably also by Sir Robert Taylor. Edward Keepe 1781, by Samuel Robinson, made of Coade stone; a refined podium, formerly with angels at the corners, carrying a Neoclassical urn. Raikes Mausoleum. First interment Martha Raikes 1797. A hefty structure roofed with a shallow dome with very Soanian segmental arches, a strigillated sarcophagus on top. According to Soane's notebook, he inspected the monument in 1800, which was by Gibson, and oversaw the cutting of the inscription in 1801; did it influence Soane's later tomb for his wife? William Morris of Woodford Hall 1847, father of the famous William Morris. Large Grecian-style table tomb with draped urn on top.
Odeon cinema was built as the Majestic, 1934 by S.B. Pritlove, a formal, symmetrical, streamlined front of faience, with banded cornice above five tall windows. Designed with neon lighting on the pilasters in between. The interior, now with six screens, included a cafe and ballroom.
White Hart Posting House from 1848. 19th brick front. Altered.
Behind the church were the grounds of the principal manor house, Woodford Hall,
designed by Thomas Leverton, 1771, and home of the elder William Morris before
the family moved to Water House, Walthamstow. The grounds were
developed from 1869 by the British Land Co. and the house demolished c. 1900.
Redbridge Conservation Area Report 1984
Pevsner East London
Victoria County History