Carshalton

  This post is not finished, it has not been checked or edited


Thames Tributaries – the River Wandle    

Springs and streams join the Wandle and flow south

Acre Lane

War memorial on Wallington Green facing the road

Belmont Road

Part of Wallington Old Town developed by Bridges in the 1860s

Bernard Road

Built in 1908 on the site of Wallington Lodge

Carshalton Park

The area was once a part of a medieval deer park around a manor house called Mascalls. This was rebuilt in the early 18th. The park now covers what were the grounds of Carshalton Place which once stretched as far as the High Street and included The Orangery.

Carshalton Place, demolished in 1927. It was possibly a late c 18 rebuilding of an older house called Mascalls. A design made by Leoni for a house on this site for Thomas Scawen, c. 1723-7, was never carried out.

Chestnut trees planted in 17th and some of the oldest trees in the area.

Grotto. This is at the head of a long canal of water, which is usually dry. It has a three arch centre with the central arch taller and wider. Inside, is a vestibule with niches at the ends, and an octagon room behind with a coved ceiling. It was built for Thomas Scawen and said to cover springs which feed the Wandle.

Gates to the park – proposed gates are now in a park in New York.

Hog Pit. Just inside the entrance is a sunken dell called 'The Hog Pit’?  It is first recorded in 1440. Is it an old chalk pit?  Sometimes it fills with water and is said to have been used as a reservoir in the 18th It may have been rebuilt to resemble an amphitheatre

Canal – remains of an ornamental canal going from the grotto northwards

Wall – the wall is said to be haunted

Carshalton Park Estate

Sale and consequent house building in the 1890s.

Clifton Road

Part of Wallington Old Town developed by Bridges in the 1860s

Croydon Road

At the corner of Wallington Green is a shopping parade, 1930s, with a clock on the corner building.

377 with original shop front

Danbury Terrace

Built as stables and for light industrial use by Henry Clarke along with Danbury Mews and Villas

Ede removal firm, there since 1880s

Devonshire Road

Grove Ironworks Mill. This was on the edge of what is now the Grove playing field. It was originally built in the 1777s as a snuff mill and worked until 1864.  It was converted to iron working in 1867 by John Smith, a mill engineer, and he made machinery here used in many surrounding mills. It closed in 1944 and was burnt down in the 1950s. The Westcroft Canal formed the head race of the mill.

Westcroft Canal. All that remains is the embankment of this canal which took water from the canal coming from the grotto in Carshalton Park.

Festival Walk

Runs beside the course of a stream - often dry - which flows from the area of Carshalton House via Carshalton Water House to Carshalton Ponds. Another channel ran from here to a bath house in North Street

Plane tree in Guinness Book of Records. Says it is the highest in the country at 125'.  It is 200 years old and has a girth of 65’.

The Old Rectory, Ecology Centre. An early 18th red brick house but there was probably an earlier Rectory building on the site. The grounds of the Centre were the gardens of The Lodge and subsequently used by the Council as a tree nursery

High Street

Medieval market place at the junction with The Square with a charter from 1259,

16-20, timber-framed, are perhaps 17th.

26-27 National Westminster Bank originally the London and County Bank 1901. Art Nouveau ground floor and door by Frederick Wheeler.

35- 37 listed O’Neills. Used to be the Green Man

58-82 listed

Carshalton Theatre, current design by Edward Culminant, Architects. A community theatre in two blocks: with a 180 seat theatre fronting the street with an existing facade; and a new workshop block to the rear. Listed. The building was built in 1874 as Carshalton Public Hall and has been used as a cinema and a roller skating rink.

41 Fox and Hounds. 18th but much altered from 1860

Beacon Grove. Shopping Precinct and flats, running back to The Grove, by Robert J. Wood & Partners, 1967-8.

Lavender Road

Built in 1908 on the site of Wallington Lodge

Manor Road

Manor Road south of the crossroads used to be called Hollow Way and lead to a strip field system. Housing was developed here in the 1790s to cater for local workers

Wallington Green. Called the Bowling Green in the 18th when it had much same shape as now.

Old sign for the Duke’s Head

Duke’s Head. In the 18th the site of Bowling Green House

Cottages, called Osborn’s Row developed here in the 1790s to cater for local workers. The pub was extended in 1998. Stable block with sign about ‘Livery and bait’.  Its position at the crossroads implies it was particularly important for horse drawn trade. Owned by Youngs since 1857.

8-16 Manor Terrace. Terrace of houses built in 1790s but upgraded in the 1840s by cheesemonger Juggins.

32 Ivy Bank, just out and has trellis porch.  Stables behind originally used by Cannon Brothers, blacksmiths

Cawley’s Hill was an old footpath beside no. 32

Greenview House, 1980s brick office block

Holy Trinity Church. Victorian and basically flint and stone, with a tower and spire. Monument to William Scawen. Built 1867 designed by Habershon & Brock. Built by landowner Nathanial Bridges as part of his plans for a suburb here.

Mint Road

Built in 1908 on the site of Wallington Lodge

Oakham Road

Built on part of a mill site

Paper Mill Close

Carshalton Paper Mill.  Site of the earliest paper mill on the Wandle dating from the mid-17th.  In 1777 William Curteis was using it and it continued as a paper mill until 1905. Later it became a chemical works. New housing has been built on the site and there are no remains..

Park Road

Part of Wallington Old Town developed by Bridges in the 1860s

Quinton Close

Site of the Manor House at Wallington Green, rebuilt in the 17th and 18th.

Ruskin Road

Methodist Church.  Built 1926 by Andrew Mather.

The Grove

Recorded as ‘Kersalton Grove’ in 1409, that is ‘the copse at Carshalton', from Old English groffa. It is now a public garden, once the grounds of a private house. The original mansion was in North Street/Mill Lane but was rebuilt in the 19th on a different site as The Grove. Taken over by the Council in 1924 and turned into public space.

Carshalton Upper Mill. This was a corn mill modernised in the 1830s.  It is probably on the site of a Domesday Mill and known as the ‘Town Mill’ in the 14th and 15th.   In 1783 it was rebuilt to a design of John Smeaton’s with two overshot wheels – one of which was later replaced by a breastshot wheel.  The Stone wheel pits date from then. It also had ten pairs of French stones and a low pressure beam engine. The mill was demolished in the 1887 when it was sold and a building was put up for electricity generation by the breastshot wheel for The Grove and Stone Court. This building has since been restored.

Water wheel. Fragment of a large waterwheel set in cement.  Listed Grade II, It was a water wheel for the flour mill.

Grove House. House built in the early 19th. Now council offices. It replaced Stone Court. 

The Square

Library.  Built as council offices this was once Carshalton Civic Offices with a fire station built in 1908 to the designs of R Frank Atkinson.

The Orangery – a two column house which may be part of plans by Leoni for a more elaborate building to stand as a garden building in the grounds of Carshalton Place. It was converted to offices in 1980 and used by various public bodies.

Vellum Road

New built houses on a mill site, the name reflecting some local products.

Westcroft Road

37 Parkfields. Outbuildings to a big house called Parkfields, since demolished.

38 Bramblehaw End.  The old stables of a big house called Bramblehaw, since demolished.

40 Bramblehaw Cottage. This was an outbuilding to a big house called Bramblehaw, since demolished.

Sports and leisure centre. 1977 by Module 2 Ltd and the Borough Architect.

Carshalton Parish Boundary stone 1792.

Walls to the original Parkfields House, 18th red brick.

Whitehall Place

Unmade up road built 1790s with three original houses

Allotments on the site of the Rookery, also built 1790s and bombed.

Wrights Row

Once an area of common fields with an entrance from Wallington Green. Housing was developed here in the 1790s to cater for local workers built and funded by Major Wright

3-9 original cottages, listed

Loraine House built by Major Wright and the home of the Loraine family from 1800.  Some garden walls survive around modern flats built in 1949 by Robert Atkinson

Garden house of 18th from the original house

Girl Guide HQ built in 1955 on the gardens of Loraine House.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South Norwood

Bromley by Bow

Phillibrook Stream - Leytonstone