this post is not finished
Post to the west River Ching Highams Park
Post to the north Buckhurst Hill
Post to the east Roding Valley
Horse and Well Pub. This was Woodford Well in 1838, and , was Horse and Groom in 1770s then Horse and Wells 1784. A coaching inn near the Woodford Wells.
Read's Carriage Works.. Became Hills Garage
403, rural hamlet remains.
All Saints Church 1874 by F.E.C. Streatfeild. The church with its tower forms a landmark, closing the end of Woodford Green. First World War memorials with bronze memorial plaque near the latter. 1943, by Reginald Hall-Ward. St Cedd and Bradwell chapel.
Developed by Southend on Sea Estates Ltd. Above average quality
Former temperance coffee house probably converted from a
17 Attlee lived
Convent of the Holy family of
Hurst House c.
1714, is striking from a distance, but much restored. Grand six-bay front. Wrought-iron
garden railing and gates. The interior rebuilt after a fire 1935, but
retains its staircase. Formerly with outbuildings and later wings, demolished by the 1930s. Sometimes called 'The Naked Beauty' after statue in the grounds, now gone'. Cricket pitch 1735.
United Free Church High Elms, Built in 1904 for Woodford Union church, a flourishing congregation formed in 1875 from members of Congregational, Baptist and Methodist churches. Joseph Hocking, who became minister in 1901, insisted on a new church, which was designed in 1904, by the Arts and Crafts architect Harrison Townsend. A large and unusual building in a free Byzantine style, boldly detailed, but alas much simplified from Townsend's original designs. Brick with stone banding, gable with a deep, round-headed arch with stone bands, enclosing a big lunette over two stone door-ways. Smaller entrance in the base of Townsend's unbuilt tower. This was a highly unusual design drawing on symbolic geometric forms: a domed top over an upper part with curved core recessed behind square corner piers. A meeting hall beyond the main church was also planned, but economy prevailed. The church was repaired and remodelled by Craig Hall & Rutley, 1991. Inside, the bay was divided off, with an inserted floor. The impressive main space lies beneath a domical vault supported by broad, unmoulded brick arches with stone bands, springing from marble-faced piers. Shallow transepts and sanctuary with transverse arches. Big lunette windows in the transepts, smaller ones at clerestory level in the sanctuary. Memorial chapel off the transept by Michael Farcy, 1963, with abstract window and glass mural by Laurence Lee. Of the same time five small ceiling paintings on the main vault, by Jean Manson dark, inadequate in this grand setting. Small alabaster and green marble War Memorial, a delicate tablet.
Statue 9ft bronze of Churchill M.P. for the area from 1924 to 1964 by David McFall, 1959.
18thhouses. Where the small-scale character has been preserved by some sympathetic late C20 infilling.
Built up in 1890s. Remains of Woodford Row village. Once a little c18 spa, now has miscellaneous later c19 and early c20 housing
5 Lanhurst two storey red brick with weatherboard back
Ludwig Finkin sugar refinery
Redbridge Conservation areas report 1984
Pevsner East London
Victoria County History