London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
This post is not finished, it has not been checked or edited
Horton Hospital. Built in 1902 and designed by George Thomas
Hineand on the same standard pattern as
Bexley and Claybury. 1901, nearly a replica of Bexley,
built as a mental hospital. Built during 1901-2 with 2,178 beds.
bricks made on site from the local clay –local gault clay for a whiteish
brick.Later bricks brought in on a
West Farm. Forge was located at West Farm, but probably
closed with the demise of the farm on the building of West Park Hospital. West
Farm was one of the group bought by the LCC in 1888.
Manor Hospital Transferred
from Metropolitan Asylums Board to London County Council. Built as a mental
hospital 1899 it was the first of
the hospitals in the cluster and could house 1,292 patients.It was originally
Horton Manor Asylum for 700 women patients and there was also some temporary
accommodation,still in use 80 years
later.It was used as a military
hospital in the First World War and in the Second World War it was used by the
Emergency Medical Service – taking servicemen after Dunkirk and D Day.Now closed
The Manor of Horton was separate from that of Epsom but it
was also owned by Chertsey Abbey and also later by the Horton family.Horton is saidto mean a ‘dirty or muddy farm’. After the
dissolution of the monasteries the manor was held by a succession of wealthy
families and was sold to the London County Councilin 1896 by the Fowell Buxtons.. the London
County Council then built a series of hospitals here.
Horton Place. was a large building, surrounded by a
moatHome of the Trotter family until 1881. Local MPs
Horton Place – the Horton Manor House
– was the centre of the hospital and included in the administration block.
Initally used for staff accommodation.
Roadblocks.Numerous 3ft high concrete pyramids/Pirnpies' or ‘Dragon’s Teeth',
together with four larger irregularly-shaped concrete blocks, in the grounds
Late bronze/early iron age settlement in this area,
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
River Lea/Bow Creek The Lea winds itself generally southwards towards the Thames TQ 39505 81448 Canning Town on the Essex bank of Lea/Bow Creek. This was, and is, a heavily industrialised area together with a very down market housing area with markets, shops, cinemas, pubs and many charitable and missionary organisations. In the 2000s public transport has been transformed and much housing renewed, and it is an area in a great deal of change. Post to the west Poplar Post to the south Leamouth and Dome Post to the east Canning Town, Butchers Road Post to the north West Ham Station Appleby Road The road is named after a local ARP warden who was killed during the Blitz. A pre-war suburban ideal is demonstrated in this West Ham estate. Barking Road It was built by the Commercial Road Turnpike Trust from the East India Docks eastwards. Now the A124 it formed part of the original A13 before the building so the East Ham and Barking Bypass in 1928. It was widened as part o
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by