Forest Hill - Station
Albion Villas Road
A lane off Sydenham Park Road
5/6 was Sydenham Children’s Hospital from 1872 to 1885.
Millennium Green on the site of an old tennis club.
Christ Church, the original parish church of Forest Hill, designed by Ewan Christian 1854; tower and octagonal spire were not built until 1885. upper floor was inserted at the west end in the 1970s and the sanctuary partitioned off c.1992. memorial to members of the Tetley tea merchant family, from 1872.
Near the church is a common field called Pickthornes or Westfield, 46 acres.
Foresters' Hall, an interesting building of 1868 with thick windows and a classical porch.
Flats -London County Council flats, has five brick tower blocks of 1962 along Dacres Road overlooking Mayow Park.
'Pacific'. At the west end, outside Woodfield House, a sculpture c.1854 from Crystal Palace.
German Road because of numbers of Germans in area.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer Church. A German Lutheran church of 1959 by S. Agar, It replaced the German Evangelical Church of 1883 bombed during the war. A Lutheran church was first established here in 1875 to serve the many Germans who had settled in the Sydenham and Forest Hill areas. Bonhoeffer was pastor here 1933-35 and the church was named after him at the end of the war. incorporates a study centre and archive which is a legacy of those who worked in the German resistance movement against the Nazis. stained glass, by the Whitefriars Studios, made by German Londoners, to a design by Herbert Klingst.
Church hall at the rear. portrait of George Bell, former Bishop of Chichester, by Hans Feibusch 1994. 1958-9 by G. S. Agar, in place of a church of 1883 damaged in the war.
Road sweeps east on the same line as the canal to avoid Piggs or Peak
Where the road turns left there is an ornamental area grassed by some flats. At the rear are railings protecting remains of Peak Hill. In the dip below the railings, and noticeably curved round the hill behind, remains the canal bed, mainly grassed. The area, stretching back to the railway, is retained by the Borough of Lewisham as a nature reserve. Damp hollow to be a pond
Following the building of the railway 800' curved stretch through woodland stayed damp. House built here which had conservatories where the flats are now. Iron gates and left the canal section free
The road does a sweep to the east just as the canal did, to avoid the small Peak or Piggs Hill; the railway cut straight through
Road continues ahead as Silverdale
Dacres Wood Nature Reserve. Site of Irongates'. Once the railway was built, a curved stretch of canal some 800’ long through woodland was isolated, and remained in water for at least another thirty years. a large Victorian house was built here, occupying, with its vast conservatories, the site now used by the flats since about 1962. The rest remained untouched in its grounds. The builders and owners of this house have left us the only section of the canal to give some idea of the attraction it once had as an outing from Croydon. A grassed area on a slope leads to the Nature Reserve. There is a boardwalk across marshy land which is on the former route of the Croydon Canal and can be considered a surviving part of the canal. The paths can become quite muddy.
Dartmouth Road is partly in Sydenham and partly in Forest Hill. The southern part, together with the adjoining part of Kirkdale is the original 19th century shopping centre of Sydenham
5 This shop, though modern, stands exactly in the canal bed, and immediately south of the swing bridge
7 Dartmouth Arms. Pub had big garden for teas for boaters on the Croydon canal. Reminder of the atmospheric railway. Built originally some time after 1819, had an excellent site, being at the junction of four roads, and near the end of the long level canal from Croydon, and the first of the 28 locks. Areas to the north and south east (still shown vacant on the 1894 plan) bordered the canal and were probably both used as gardens. Great trade was done, with persons using the canal for leisure purposes. originally a pub of 1814 on the Canal. The present building is late 19th century, and is quite attractive.
29-33, ancient, originally being low cottages with gardens down to the canal. 31 in particular had a boathouse at the rear, complete with landing stage. They were converted to shops by the end of the century, and had additional height added for accommodation above
35 'Bird-in-Hand',. c1820, altered when it became a pub c.1850.
45 Malt Shovel.
104 Round Hill Lodge a pleasing house of the 1820s, which was the lodge for Round Hill House
107/9 a stuccoed pair c 1840
165/175, a fine Italianate terrace c1843, made up of pairs linked by adjoining recessed porches; this was part of the Sydenham Park Estate
189 Bricklayers Arms pub of 1924, well restored in 1998, with a fine plaque on the side: 'Youngs, The Ram Brewery, Wandsworth, established 1831'.
Apse House (?), designed by Thomas Aldwinckle 1890, of red brick, with a Gothic look and a frieze of carved terracotta tiles.
Atmospheric railway removed level crossings and engine houses were built. Very ornamental building... Their site is now occupied by a plain single storey brick building. The Pumping station for the atmospheric railway was early English gothic with tall church like chimneys disguised as bell towers called stalks. 120 ft high. It used water from the remaining canal sections, would have been in this open area, and partly on the canal route. Some refer to it having lasted until the last war - one can only assume that the station building was mistaken for it. Even by the 1870s, the arrangement here was just about as we see it today.
Barclays Bank, formerly London & South Western Bank, of 1911, occupying prominent corner location with an oriel window overlooking the road junction.
Canal was allowed to widen out into a natural depression on the west side, the canal construction itself acting as a small dam. Just west of this, and at the time of its construction consuming a large chunk of Sydenham Common, was one of the company's two artificial reservoirs. It was probably quite a shallow affair but must have helped to drain the Common. An area such as these two stretches of water is the likely site for the osier business mentioned in the accounts. Their sites were soon covered by roads and houses once the canal had closed, but their approximate extent is shown opposite, as well as the routes of their feeders.
Courtside. Set back behind a modern terrace, was originally two large and handsome houses of 1857; in 1923 they were linked together and modern extensions built on either side, making one long group.
Elkington depository - At the north end on the west side of the station is the ornate frontage of the furniture depository of Elkington & Co. Built near the turn of the century, its presentation as a solid and safe place to have your effects stored was aimed at the railway traveller, almost the only type of person who would then be interested in such a service. Then, as now, to find the entrance on the road frontage is something of a challenge. The iron staircase must date from its use as a club during the thirties.
Footbridge - At the southern end of the line side footway, a footbridge, not part of the early construction or any ancient route, crosses the railway
Footpath at the back of the pub and through the garden. There was a Footway raised over the tracks and it is a bit of the southern extremity of the first platform of Dartmouth Arms station. From the subway entrance a footpath leads south alongside the railway line, following the line of the canal towpath, as far as the footbridge at the end of Sydenham Park. Between Clyde Park and Sydenham Park the towpath was between the canal and a reservoir. Following this footpath the canal widened out into a natural depression with the canal construction acting as a dam. Until the end of this footway, the routes of canal and railway are very similar, but if the canal was still here we should have to deviate around a large area of water. The canal was allowed to widen out into a natural depression on the west side
Forest Hill Library. Arts & Crafts building by Alexander Hennell, of red brick with lots of terracotta. Note the octagonal thing over the entrance, the deep terracotta frieze across the whole building of cherubs with floral swags and shields, the Venetian window under a gable. Many of the windows incorporate an art nouveau style lily motif. Note the huge brackets in the hall to the left, which was the original library. The library forms part of a group of three municipal buildings.
Forest Hill Station. Between Sydenham and Honor Oak Park on Southern Rail. 1839 The London & Croydon Railway opened it as Dartmouth Arms Station, just to the south of the present station alongside the old canal route and behind the eponymous pub. Site was called Crow Ground, in middle of forest until a footpath was from Catford on line of London Road. 1845 The station was renamed Forest Hill. In which year an engine house was built for the atmospheric railway, which ran alongside the main line between New Cross Gate and Croydon. The Atmospheric railway was on the South Eastern Railway old main line. On the end of a 1:100 gradient for 5 1/2 miles. 1846 a group of cottages were erected for the enginemen. These were placed just north of the subway, and it is the clearance of these (about twelve) that provided the site for the new station of 1884. 1884 The station was rebuilt on its present site in 1884, with a grand building and a great tower. 1944 Bombed 23.6.44 three died & 18 injured. Bomb was in pedestrian subway, station never rebuilt. W.H.Smith. The first station buildings survived, only to be severely damaged during the last war, and they are shown as a -ruin'. 1970s All demolished when the new much smaller station was built in the 1970s. Replaced again in the 1970s, basically the same position and arrangement was used.
Forest Hill Swimming Pools, designed by Thomas Aldwinckle 1885. a building in red brick, the oldest functioning municipal pool was here until March 2006. unlisted. it was closed on safety grounds by Lewisham Council, following discovery of major roof problems.
Holy Trinity School, a Gothic building of 1874.
Railway subway (through to Perry Vale) was constructed in 1884. And runs on the line of the canal.
Shop - At the southern extremity of this open area behind first shop in Dartmouth Hill.a narrow footpath makes its way south, and just by its beginning is some old brickwork that could well be from the 1839 station.
St.John’s church & Baptist church
Sydenham School. 1957 changes to turn the school into a comprehensive. A large complex with three main buildings directly facing Dartmouth Road. a large modernist concrete block by Sir Basil Spence of 1957; originally open but enclosed in 1994. Then a low modern block of 1973 containing the library and sixth form centre; to its left, in the gap between the buildings, the school hall by Spence can be seen far back. Then the original building, large and stately, classical, red brick, with a rounded porch, of 1917, extended 1921. Sydenham School was founded in Westbourne Drive, Forest Hill, in the 1860s. It moved to 4/6 Manor Mount in 1875. The building was acquired by the London County Council in 1905 and renamed Sydenham County Secondary School. It moved to this site in 1917. Large additions of 1957 by Basil Spence & Partners, to convert the school to a comprehensive. Six-storey classroom wing, forbidding in scale but fussy in detail, extending down the slope to the road, supported on tapering piers.
Baxter Field. This open space, in a sort of valley, was named after George Baxter a pioneer of colour printing. Note the Sydenham Society plaque of 1980 on the side of the field. George Baxter, 1804-1867, developed a method of printing in oil colours, patented in 1835, which was more successful than previous methods. He married Mary Harrild, daughter of Robert Harrild, in 1827. He was killed in an accident in 1867 and is buried in Christ Church Forest Hill. Robert Harrild, 1780-1853, of Round Hill House, was an innovative manufacturer of printing equipment. He was a major developer of the Sydenham Park Estate. He died in 1853, and is buried in St Bartholomew’s Church
Serin House, c.1845 with a modern rear extension, from 1860 to 1871 it was The Armoury (Sydenham Rifle Volunteer Corps).
3 Cooks Place, the former name of the street, and the date 1844.
Capitol Cinema. An extraordinary art deco cinema of 1929 designed by Stanley Beard, but disused since 1996 and derelict. It is covered in white tiles, and there are lots of interesting pattern; decorative features, including blue guilloche and other friezes, winged cherub; lions' heads. An unfortunate projecting round fascia was added in 1978 when it became a bingo hall. 11 February 1929 Compton Organ installed New generation 2-8. 13 September 1932 First Compton illuminated console surround - Glazed Sunburst. Surprisingly, it was not placed on a lift - one of the few illuminated consoles simply on a dais. This early style of illumination consisted of two glass 'towers' on either side, etched with 'thunder and lightning' and with a colour change mechanism.
K2 and K6 red cast iron telephone kiosks, by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott. The K2 of 1927 has all panes of glass the same whereas the K6 of 1935 has narrow rectangular panes of glass.
24 Mayow Road, a large multi-gabled house c.1870, with rustic timber features - doorway, bargeboarding, and an oriel extending into the roof. It is the sole survivor of a group of large Victorian houses along this part of Mayow Road.
Forest Hill School, a large school of 1956, is distinguished by its Library, a circular wooden block on pillars, with connecting walkways to the north and south sides of the square which it helps to form.
Starts as one narrow lane, then splits in two, with another leading off to the right; it preserves throughout an extraordinary rural quality,
Oak House, a large and remarkable Edwardian house c1900, an upper floor supported on Ionic pillars
The Orchard in large grounds. Basically of the 1830s but altered and extended.
Hazeldine Cottage, originally the staff quarters for a large house in Sydenham Hill of the 1860s made into a separate house in the late 19th century, with steeply gabled porch dormers, and a late Victorian wall letter box inset into the porch
Chalet, of the 1830s
Corner Perry Rise called in old maps Perry Slough. In this area were a number or orchards providing cider apples and pears for the making of perry, hence Perry Vale. 19th cottages and small houses built in an uncoordinated fashion.
53 Foresters' Arms a pub c.1855 with fine stuccoed upper and a modem ground floor.
61 Forest Hill Brewery. Site a lorry park opposite Church Vale. Dates from 1885 and taken over by Whitbread 1924 then sold to United Breweries in 1927 as a bottling plant.
70/72 Enterprise Bus Co., private bus company garage from 1927. Garage and a house let into five flats, several brothers. Also sold bingo tickets, ran coaches, chauffeur driven cars. Bought by London Passenger Transport Board in 1933. Vale Lodge flats built on the site
118 Rose Cottage, is a long and low late 18th century building with 19th century additions including the porch. It is the only survivor of the old village.
Forest Hill Fire Station, picturesque, octagonal tower. Now Forest Hill Neighbourhood Office, a romantic Arts & Crafts building of 1901, with irregular canted bay roof with deep eaves and six dormers. Note the iron hooks on the dormers and at the top of the tower. By the L.C.C. Fire Brigade's Department, 1901-2. An especially picturesque example of its type. Fanciful octagonal tower.
Row of houses built in 1890s by builder Mr. Christmas. Names of houses in the row spelt out Ted Christmas. Some were altered - 'Hildaville' for instance
Death of Dermody
101 is a cottage orne c.1840, with Gothic and Tudor motifs
103, similar motifs, cottage orne.
A private road off Sydenham Park Road with white gates and| posts; it can become quite muddy. |
Round Hill House site. Top of spire of St.Antholin's church from City. Church demolished in 1874 because it was unsafe. Spire re-erected on a circular brick base plus another semi-arch wall and a ring & banks. The upper part of the octagonal spire. It was moved to the grounds of Round Hill House by the owner Robert Harrild as a folly when the church spire was replaced; the church itself was demolished in 1875. Sydenham Society plaque of 1987.
Housing scheme on the site of Round Hill House was built by printer Robert Harrild
Camden Cottage. E.Farjeon lived there
Shaw's Cottages. Path where the cottages used to be
Sydenham All Saints
Tudor House an impressive red brick building c.1870, with ornamental Gothic porch and a gabled front; it was built as an extension to the Tudor Hall, a large house built 1851, demolished 1961
Lodge, the original lodge; out-building of Tudor Hall, c.1851, which has survived
Hamilton Hall, the original stable block, adapted for use by the Christadelphians 1907. Out-building of Tudor Hall, c.1851, which has survived
Stanstead/Sunderland/Westbourne/ Perry Vale
Old field called Pickthornes
Fire hydrant iron pavement cover. Made by Butterley Co.Derby
Perrymount Primary School GLC 1970
Thomas Hill founder of the Mirror
Developed from 1842 as part of the Sydenham Park Estate on the site of a reservoir for the Croydon Canal. A number of fine classical houses of 1840s and 1850s have survived on both sides.
Park Hall, built in 1850 in an extravagantly Gothic style as a congregational chapel, but since 1867 has been used as a Sunday school and by other organisations: it is now a fitness centre.
Trinity Court is a block of flats c1985, on the site of Holy Trinity Church, built 1866, demolished c1984. a statue remains from the old church; and, on an old wall, are some fragments of property stones on which can be seen the names of Robert Harrild, a major developer of the Sydenham Park Estate, and Mary Baxter
Trinity Church Hall, a low red brick building of 1924
Church of the Resurrection. A Roman Catholic church of 1974 in pale brick, with just a few narrow windows. statue of the Risen Christ over the entrance. The interior is mainly top-lit and contains an impressive crucifix by Elspeth Reid. By Broadbent, Hastings, Reid & Todd, pale brick, almost windowless, not inviting. Sculpture. Relief of the Risen Christ over the entrance by S. Sykes. - Crucifix by Elspeth Reid
Holy Trinity by Emmett, large correct Geometric of 1865-6. Demolished 1982:
Sydenham Park Road
developed as part of the Sydenham Park Estate on the site of a reservoir for the Croydon Canal.
14 one of an outstanding group of five large villas of the 1840s and 1850s. a Tudor porch with castellated turrets, a steep Gothic gable above, and Tudor windows.
20 Shanklin Villa, 1855, has a fine doorcase with a Gibbs surround, and a Lewisham Council plaque 'Richard Jefferies 1848-1887 nature writer and novelist lived here';
Park Mansions, which consists of a mid 19th century Italianate pair, identifiable by the corner quoins facing Sydenham Park Road, extended and much enlarged on both sides in 1906.
Camberwell Property stone
Was Queen's Road and new name from big house called Tay Mount
Extension to Kings Garth c.1905 and a separate large block part called Queens Leaze and Queens Garth in similar style c.1905
Kings Court, a large house, probably of the late 1850s,
Queens Court fanciful cottage orne, probably of the early 1860s, with lots of barge boarding
St.Paul. church of 1863 by Hine & T. Roger Smith; Gothic. converted by Paul Brookes for residential use. It was originally a Congregational Church, but c.1923 became St Luke’s Church of Spiritual Evangelists. It was rebuilt as St Paul’s Church 1950, replacing a church in Waldenshaw Road, built 1878, destroyed 1944
Home of the Lehmanns Wolfson
Mayow family name
Iron boundary post - St.Olave's, Hart Street
Nursery, pump in the Nature Reserve
Forest Hill Bowling Club