Thames Tributary Ravensbourne - Pool River - Perry Hill
The Pool River continues flowing northwards to the Ravensbourne
Post to the east Bellingham
Leathersellers Co. Owned land to the south and to the top of the hill. This land was bought in the 17th at a time when Abraham Colfe was acquiring land here to endow his charities. He appointed the Leathersellers as trustees – so thus the controlled most of the area.
Brongers – between here and Dachet Road and bought by the Leathersellers in the 17th. Also called White Cottage...
Terrace with date plaque ‘1910’ is the site of Orchard House. Was on the south corner. Left to the parish in 17th. Demolished in the early 20th.
Laurel Brook. East of Orchard House.
Orchard Cottages. Terrace at the river end.
Clowders Farm was there in 1723.Purchased by the Leathersellers in the 17th.
The Manor House built in 1728 demolished 1934. One of a number of houses built by wealthy men with jobs in the City, or in Greenwich and Deptford.
Perry Hill House. Built 1766. In the 19th it was a private school
Fields down the hill were called Tanners, Nanals and Rowlands
At one time was an important road because it led to a bridge over the river going to the Bromley Road.
The Elms. 18th farmhouse. Built in the 1790s, with Victorian bays and a porch - a modern replica of the original which was stolen. It was converted into two maisonettes in the 1970s. John Walker, the owner, used an adjacent building as a workshop
Well on site of the Elms
Site of The Place Tudor mansion. Nearby to the Lewes/London Roman road. From the 14th Place House was the manor house for Sydenham. Its history and ownership can be traced from then. By the 16th Richard Howlett, Clerk to the Navy, lived there and probably rebuilt it. Subsequently it was tenanted by people who wanted to be near Greenwich or Deptford – its owners, the Edmonds family, lived elsewhere and farmed some of the land, and disposed of the rest. Eventually the house was let in sections. It became the subject of a Chancery dispute and was demolished in the late 18th although some bits might have remained, in a ruinous condition, used by the farm.
Elms Youth Club
Kilmorie Road Primary School built on the site of previous schools and opened in 1990.
Roger Manwood School. This was Kilmore Road School. In the Second World War the RAF were in the Infants Department. There was a Warden’s Post in the Playground and there was also a Ministry of Works vehicle depot. Badly damaged by bombing and not used as a school.
In this area were a number or orchards providing cider apples and pears for the making of perry, hence Pearfield Road.
An ancient right of way across the river to Castlelands and Broadmead Fields. Perry Slough was a forest up to 1800. In this area were a number or orchards providing cider apples and pears for the making of perry, hence Perry Hill – although it was originally ‘Perry Street’. The settlement in this area was helped by a nearby source of fresh water from the Pool River.
Perry Hill House demolished 1900 - villas built on the site.
93 Salims Cottage at the bottom of the hill. This was built on field Herberts Croft
Library55 Rutland Arms a harmonious pub c1866. Closed
Fire hydrant at the corner of Rutland Walk. Iron base with a slight taper and an Octagonal top. Made by Stones of Deptford. Now gone, removed when the road became one way
80 Two Brewers this had been some 18th cottages called Beechfields but it became a pub in 1746 and this wooden building lasted until 1926. The current pub has a collection of jugs hanging from ceiling in Saloon Bar. Spacious old pub with family atmosphere. Pleasant wood panelled interior. Sign on the other side of the road.
Horse trough outside the pub
145 Swanley a late 19th house, with a rustic porch and projecting bay. It was the home of Thomas Tilling who used local fields for sick horses. This is the only remaining house of a series built in the area for rich business men.
143 a surviving outbuilding of Perry Hill Farm, probably early 19th century,
Church of God of Prophecy, a classical building of 1883, was originally Perry Hill Baptist Mission Hall; it became a Salvation Army hall in 1931.
Sewer vent corner of Winsford Road. Ham Baker makers, and a little door in the base.
Radcliffe. House demolished 1911 was opposite Datchet Road. It had replaced a pub called the White Hart which had closed in 1728.
Perry Green – open space which was where the road bends east. It was absorbed into cottage gardens.
Claremont – two houses now on the site of a house built here in 1804 on the site of Perry Green which was demolished in 1929.
Milverton House – on the site of a big house called Meadowcroft, speculatively built and let out to wealthy lawyers.,
This lower area was called Perry Slough. Much of it was Lammas Land. Was called Glovers Lane. East of the Road was Perry Vale Farm. In this area were a number or orchards providing cider apples and pears for the making of perry, hence Perry Rise
Canal - Four roads met at a swing bridge on the canal: - Stanstead Road; Part of Perry Vale from north east and south east; London Road and Dartmouth Road
Railway. This was at the same place as the canal crossing. Subway under the railway – this is a successor to a level crossing lost when the new road was built to the north. Sydenham Common with Perry Stow to the south east was the nearest village when it was built.
52 Prince of Wales. The sign depicts his coat of arms.
67. Shaftsbury House. This was Shaftesbury Boys Home. This was in a large detached house
Houses built for employees of the Sydenham Gas Works.
11 Shaw’s Cottages Ecological Self-Build House. Designed and built by Jon Broome of Architype 1994-96 as an energy-saving developing self-build system pioneered by Walter Segal trunks supports a turf and wild flower roof over a lofty open-plan family house. Walls are of Douglas fir clad with larch. The site was previously a disused garden. Only the top of the house is clearly visible from Shaw’s Cottages, which is a public footpath.
Pool River Walk.
Parkland riverside walkway, 700 metres long, from Bell Green to Bellingham, was designed by Symonds Travers Morgan 1996.
This section of the River bisected the gasworks site in an underground culvert and was relocated here on a meandering route between Savacentre and the Mid Kent Line embankment.
Bridge blue tied-arch, marks the central point of the walk and gives access to the Savacentre.
Its name is derived from a field which formerly existed on the western side of
Perry Vale farmhouse was situated at about the middle of the road and the fields were at the northern end of the Estate. One of the farms belonging to the Mayow Adams family
2/8 terraced groups, 1860s. Projecting battlemented bay windows,
4/6 shaped gable.
10/16 end houses with short square towers.
1/25 terrace, of the 1860s.
The Pool River comes out of the gas works site in a concrete channel alongside the last house.
Bridge over to the rough area between the river and the railway. Now gone.
St.George. Paid for by the owner of Lewisham House, George Parker but since demolished because of subsidence. It was the parish church of Perry Hill. A large Gothic ragstone church of 1880 by William Coppard Banks.
1 Vicarage to the west, a substantial and handsome purple brick mansion of 1885 with a good Gothic window Good plain
Pond and marshy area on the Riverview Walk
Clare Lodge. Built in this area in the 1750s. Demolished 1927. Residents included Letts of the diaries, and Holland of the Deptford distillery.
Was the field and Upper and Lower Hawkes.
37 plaque which is a copy of a G.L.C. blue plaque in North End Road, Hampstead, as follows: 'John Linnell 1792-1882 painter lived M William Blake 1757-1827 poet and artist stayed here as his guest'. Neither Linnell nor Blake lived in or had any known connection with Perry Hill, and this house was built after their deaths, probably in the late 1880s.
18 1891, pargetting on the upper floor and in a gable
The Pool River continues to flow northwards