Thames Tributary Bourne tributary to the Ravensbourne - West Wickham
The Bourne Stream flows north from this area to join the Ravensbourne in Bromley. It is an intermittent stream.
Post to the north Hayes
Pond – a pond stood to the west of the road, and north of Hawes Road which formed the source of the Bourne stream also called the Old River.
Hawes Farm. Recorded from the mid 16th. Is the building still there?
77 Art Deco house. Built for the Ideal Home exhibition in 1934.
Coney Hall. 1930s residential estate named from Coney Hall farm. The Coney Hall Estate laid out by Morrell 1933-1935
Coney Hall Recreation Ground
Stone obelisk. About the Greenwich meridian. Which marks O longitude.
Coney Hill Road
Nash College of Further Education
Coney Hill Baptist Church
Kingsway Parade. Built in 1933 following the construction of 1,000 homes by Morrel’s on the Wickham Court Estate land.
The Warren. Metropolitan Police Sports Club. Late c 19 mansion. 1882 by George Somers Clarke Sen. for Walter Maximilian de Zoete. Stepped gables with ever so many steps. Police horse stable.
Banks on the Common side of the road were mined with drums of sump oil and creosote, in the Second World War
Public air raid shelters were set up in the Second World War
Wickham Common School
Focus store. Looks like an art deco garage.
Gates Green Road
Coney Hall farmhouse. First mentioned in 17th when it was said that the farmer had the right to catch rabbits on Jackson’s Heath. Grand house big enough to have its own assembly rooms. Was used as the Rectory. Eventually became part of a school. Is this the Old Rectory house.
Assembly Rooms, listed
Granary. 17th which became St.Christopher’s Chapel and is now part of the Assembly Rooms.
An ancient route running to Hawes Farm and other tenements, avoiding the main village of West Wickham.
81 Elsy and Jim Borders withheld mortgage repayments because of low building standards and this led to the Building Societies Act of 1939 giving buyers more rights
Pole Cat Alley
West Wickham Common
At the end of the 19th fifty acres were sold by Sir John Lennard for building. The remaining 25 acres were saved in 1892 with the Corporation of the City of London, which now owns it.
Earthwork of unknown origin on the common near Gates Green Road. Also Armada ditches and banks
Great Oaks – Domesday oaks mentioned by walking guides for 100 years.