Tuesday, 31 May 2011

Thames Tributary- Tributary stream to the River Roding - Torrell's Hall

Thames Tributary- Tributary stream to the River Roding
The stream rises in this area and flows west towards the Roding. It is joined by another stream from the south.

TL 60 09
Post to the west Dukes Lane 59 09
Post to the south Shellow Bowells 60 10

Shellow Road
Torrell’s Hall. Manor in the parish of Willingale Doe named after the Torrell family who lived here in the 14th century. The Present house dates from the 16th and is believed to overlie a predecessor. This is a very complex building with numerous alterations. The southern block is an addition of c.1800 by John Johnson, in Gault brick. The 16th block has a complete open well staircase,
Moated site south west of the Hall. It includes an island contained in a seasonally water-filled moat. Moats in the 12th were usually built as prestige items rather than defence.
Motte and bailey – possible remains.
Farm buildings at Torrells Hall. Model group of farm buildings in 19th red brick. Three sided courtyard with buildings on all sides except the south side which has a wall. Encloses a stock yard Mid 19th cart shed of red brick.
Windmill Farmhouse. Late 17th timber framed house

Thames Tributary- tributary stream to the River Roding - Shellow Bowells

Thames Tributary- tributary stream to the River Roding
The stream rises in this area and flows north towards the Roding

Shellow Bowells

TL 60 08
Post to the north Torrell's Hall 60 09
Post to the west Willingale 59 08

Shellow Road
Pound House. Late 17th timber framed
Shellow Hall. Early 17th and later timber framed house. At the back an old kitchen/brewhouse with a wide timber beamed fireplace with a copper and bread oven. In the loft is a 17th window with original fittings and diamond leaded lights. On the walls outside are some bits of old
Moat, this was in a figure of 8 shape
Barn near Shellow Hall. Mid 16th timber framed with asbestos roof
Shellow Hall Cottage. 17th or earlier, timber framed thatched house
Church of St.Peter and St.Paul made redundant in 1974 and now housing. It is a rare 18th church in red brick with a weather boarded bell cupola with a weathervane. There is a stone date plaque which says '1754'.
Shellow Cottages. Perhaps once this was one house. 17th timber framed with 20th pargetting.

Wood Lane
Walnut Tree Cottage. Late 16th timber framed and thatched house.
Willows Cottage, late 17th timber framed house
Spains Wood
Sawyers Farm

Thames Tributary – tributary to the River Roding - Dunmow Road

Thames Tributary – tributary to the River Roding
The Tributary flows eastwards to the Roding

Rural area with scattered farms

Post to the west Norwood End
Post to the east Bird's Green
Post to the north - Beauchamp Roding 
Post to the south - Fyfield

Dunmow Road
Butt Hatch Farm. In its earlier form 'Burnthatch', the name of this farm, goes back at least to 1542. The house is a square double-fronted 19th building
Roden Lodge, 19th house on the site of the Rood Inn, The house was once called Rood House. In the grounds is a 19th, timber encased pump with curved, iron handle. The spout of lead an dated In the centre '1800' and initial I.H.

Perryfield Lane

Pevsner and Cherry. Essex

Thames Tributary River Roding - Berners Roding

Thames Tributary River Roding
The Roding continues to flow southwards

TL 59334 09697

Sparsly populated country area - scattered farms and many conversions to fishing lakes

Post to the north - Waples Mill - 59 11
Post to the west Beauchamp Roding 58 10
Post to the south Dukes Lane 59 09

Ongar Road
Flands Cottages
Elms Farm. Farmhouse. 17th timber framed
Elms farm brew house. Timber framed, black weather boarded
Elm farm. 19th stables and cart shed
Lake – built in the early 21st on agricultural land and now a carp fishery.

British Listed Buildings. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. Essex

Thames Tributary River Roding - Beauchamp Roding

Thames Tributary River Roding
The Roding flows southwards and is joined by a tributary from the west

TL 58177 09481

Countryside area with scattered farms and houses

Post to the north - Abbess Roding 58 11
Post to the west Beauchamp Roding 58 10
Post to the south Birds Green - 58 09
Post to the east Berners Roding

School Lane
Hornets Farm. This was formerly Horners manor and dates at least to the 17th. The farm-house is 18th, and timber-framed. A window in an outhouse commemorates the Local Government Act, 1929, to de-rate farm land and I said to have come from a chapel in Notting Hill.
Private burial ground near the drive gate of Hornets where the former farm owner, Isaac Mead and his wife, Susan, are buried
Gubbiss Farm. This has been demolished but stood near Hornets and Butt Hatch. The house was 16th 
The Old Rectory. 17th House. 2 storey timber framed and plastered.
Three Hurdles. 17th House timber framed and plastered old pub.

Three Hurdles Lane

British Listed Buildings. Web site
Essex County Council. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. Essex
Victoria County History of Essex

Thames Tributary – Tributary stream to the River Roding - Beauchamp Roding

Thames Tributary – Tributary stream to the River Roding
The stream rises in this area and flows east to the Roding

TL 57345 09538

Countryside area strung out along what was once a main road.  Very interesting old church

Post to the north - Beauchamp Roding 
Post to the east Beauchamp Roding
Post to the west - Norwood End 
Post to the south - Butt Hatch  

Beauchamp Roding
St. Botolph’s Church. It is on a site which is probably of great antiquity but can only be reached by a field track and stands on rising ground. The dedication, to the East Anglian saint and patron saint of travellers, suggests that there was a church here before the Conquest. The walls are of flint rubble and freestone and the nave has an 11th- century plan. The tower was added in the 15th when the church was enlarged. In the nave are 18th oak benches in three stages with steps which can be pulled out like drawers.
Churchyard. There is a pyramid shaped pudding stone monolith close to the church

Dunmow Road
In 1618 the most important road in the parish was, and had been for many years, the Ongar/Dunmow road. In the 18th and 19th it was used for coaches between Dunmow and London.
Slade's Farm. The name can be traced to 1542. The present building is 16th but altered.

SourcesBritish Listed Buildings. Web site
Essex County Council. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. Essex
Victoria County History of Essex

Thames Tributary – Tributary stream to the River Roding - Norwood End

Thames Tributary – Tributary stream to the River Roding The stream rises in this area and flows east to the Roding. Another stream rises in this area and flows south to the River Roding.

TL 56 10
Post to the east - Beauchamp Roding - 57 10
Post to the north - Beauchamp Roding - 56 11
Post to the south - Norwood End - 56 09

Butthatch Wood
The wood has hornbeam, coppiced oak and ash and ground flora indicative of ancient woodland. On the western edge oak and hornbeam form a canopy

Norwood End
Pumpkin Hall
Hales Farm. Once called Old Hides farm, 17th

Thames Tributary – Tributary stream to the River Roding - Longbarns

Thames Tributary – Tributary stream to the River Roding
The tributary stream flows east towards the Roding

TL 57 11
Post to the west - Beauchamp Roding - 56 11
Post to the east Rookwood Hall 56 11
Post to the south Beauchamp Roding - 57 10

Dunmow Road
Granite Trade Centre. The Old Corn Barn
The Coopers. Converted pub, thatched, etc.
Barn as part of Coopers. 17th timber framed and weatherboarded.
Wicks Farm, demolished, was beside the Roding
The Room in the Rodings. This is the village hall – converted from a cowshed in the 1920s.
Council Houses

School Lane, Abbess Roding
Longbarns House and Farm. Longbarns was a local manorial name. In 1558 it was granted by the Crown to the then Solicitor General and his descendents became the Earls of Portland and was subsequently owned by local landowners and farmers. In 1943 it was bought by the London Co-operative Society. The Farm buildings comprise an early 19th model farm, plus a 17th timber framed barn with black weatherboard. The 19th buildings are red brick. There are cow and cart sheds, offices and chimney. The farm-house is 16th timber-framed. It was altered in the 19th and used as two houses by the LCS. It is now a B&B.
Sewage works installed by the Air Ministry during the Second World War.

School Lane, Beauchamp Roding


Monday, 30 May 2011

Thames Tributary – tributary stream to the River Roding - Rookwood Hall

Thames Tributary – tributary stream to the River Roding
The stream rises in this area and flows eastwards to the Roding.

TL 56 11
Post to the east - Beauchamp Roding - 57 11
Post to the south - Butthatch - 56 10

Rookwood Hall
Rookwood Hall. This mansion which once dominated the area as home of the Capel family who left in 1700. There had been a park here, but this had disappeared by 1777. The house gradually fell into ruin
Moat and enclosure
Matching Airfield built in the Second World War for the American Air Force. A new concrete road crosses the site and the moat. The officers’ mess site, called 'the water tower site', is adjacent to the west of the hall and has many buildings extant, including a water tower.
A pond south of the moat
Second moated enclosure south of the hall.

Wood End
Wood End Farm. The farm took its name from the wood which was west of it and the name can be traced to 1542. The farm-house is timber-framed with a chimney with six octagonal shafts. The front porch, had a date of 1621.

Thames Tributary River Roding - Waples mill

Thames Tributary River Roding

TL 59 11
Post to the west Abbess Roding 58 11
Post to the south Berners Roding 59 10
Post to the east Berners Roding 59 11

Ongar Road
Waples Mill – farm with an old mill house and barns near the Roding, and a posh house slightly up hill to the east.
Black Poplar –a male tree near here is a new clone with a single representative, and might derive from a genuine seedling

Thames Tributary – tributary stream to the River Roding - Berners Roding

Thames Tributary – tributary stream to the River Roding
The stream rises from two points in this area and flows south east towards the Roding.

TL 59411 09894

Village centre in a country side area

Post to the west - Waples Mill

Berners Roding
Berners Hall 16th part-moated farmhouse. House timber framed, with 19th red brick front. In the kitchen is a stone post base and a 1800 cupboard with glazed doors in the living room
Red brick curved garden wall 19th
Barn. Late 17th 8 bay timber framed barn, part tarred weatherboarding
and part render. An 18th red brick wall enclosing the yard.
Barn. Early 19th 9 bay timber framed barn. Black weatherboarding and an outer wall of in red brick
All Saints Church. Elements of the building date to the 14th. It once had a tower with a single bell cast in 1594. It is pulled down post 1953. Walls of flint rubble and red brick but the building is in a state of advanced decay.
Pedunculate Oak tree. Girth: 3.1m, Height: 10-15, Age: 1800-1850. It stands on the moat of Berners Hall beside the church

British Listed Building. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. Essex

Thames Tributary – River Roding- Beauchamp Roding

Thames Tributary – River Roding
The Roding’s source is in rural Essex north of Great Dunmow. It first appears on the London AZ at TQ11 58 and is joined by a stream from the west, and later, south of Waples Mill by another stream from the east.

TL 58188 10085

Countryside area with the old village school among scattered farms and fields

Post to the south Beauchamp Roding 58 10
Post to the east - Waples Mill - 59 11
Post to the west Abbess Roding 57 11

School Lane
7 House.17th, 2 storey timber framed and plastered house. Pargetting on the front wall.
Old Schoolhouse. The former school, originally the parish poorhouse, closed as a school in 1923
8,9,10 Bonds Cottages. 17/18th timber framed cottages.
Ingolds. House. 16th, timber framed and plastered with jettied and gabled wing

SourcesBritish Listed Buildings. Web site
Essex County Council. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. Essex
Victoria County History of Essex

Thames Tributary Goresbrook - Dagenham riverside

Thames Tributary Goresbrook
The brook flows south into the Thames

TQ 4898181794

Heavily industrialised area leading to the riverside with busy working wharves

Post to the north Dagenham
Post to the west Barking Levels
Post to the south Dagenham Dock and Crossness Engines

Chequers Lane
The road is now blocked at the Channel Tunnel Rail Link Line.
Dagenham Dock Station. It lies between Rainham and Barking stations on C2C. A station seems to have been near this site by 1865 on the London Tilbury and Southend Railway Line but east of the junction and there is very little evidence for it. The current station is named after the tidal basin which was built in 1887 and in 1908, the dock company, Samuel Williams & Sons Ltd. financed a rebuild of the station and opened it to the public but on a changed site west of Chequers Lane. The station buildings are in the London Tilbury and Southend Railway’s 1880s style with a rustic air. It is now overshadowed by the motorway and alongside the CTRL line.
Hunts Waste Management
Hunts Diner
Tate and Lyle. Storage depot, part of United Molasses
British Bakeries, part of Premier Foods
Dagenham First Bus Garage. Site previously used by Maskell.
White Mountain Roadstone at No.1, Western extension of the lane
Exide Battery site. Dagenite Works. Pritchett & Gold as Peto & Radford It marketed produced accumulators called ‘Dagenite’ in works, built in 1910, opposite the Ford plant. It was a factor in Ford’s decision to move here. Site is now in use as a trading estate.

Choat’s Manor Way
The road is now mainly on a viaduct having passed over the CTRL
Small patch of salt marsh but much of the area was buried under landfill.

Choat’s Road
Road lies east/west on the line of what was Choats Manor Way. Some, otherwise nameless, roads run north of this.
Thames Gateway Park. Modern industrial units
Around the road is a capped and re-seeded rubbish tip forming a huge mound and the highest point in the area. There are some problems with methane within the tip, and there is some seepage from it at its eastern margin where it slopes to the Gores Brook. There is one central flat section of original grazing land left
Sewage works operated by Romford RDC and closed after the Second World War. The effluent went into the Goresbrook but it the site is now covered by landfill.

Dagenham Marshes
Dagenham Marshes were east of the Gores Brook. In the late 19th the farmers sold ice from here to the Barking fishing companies.

Gores Brook
The Goresbrook and associated ditches and streams form a complex network across the Dagenham and Barking levels.
The brook runs through the Ford works, and the banks here are mown, but there was a diversion to take effluent from the sewage works and also it receives run off from the Ford plant. Past Fords it turns westwards and runs along the railway line, where there are some reed beds, then disappears under the railway and emerges on the Barking Levels.
Island where the main branch of the Gores Brook divides into two arms. It is entirely covered by reeds and Plants here indicate that it is salt water.
The Gores brook enters the Thames through a sluice west of the CEMEX jetty. There is an outfall with tidal sluice gates
A tributary ditch runs along the north side of the railway westwards and a branch of this tributary ditch goes along the boundary of the Scrutton Farm Eco Park.
Run off from the Ford works is sometimes oily and is stored in a twenty metre deep pit, which is sometimes pumped out into the Goresbrook.

Hindmans Way
Modern industrial estate and unit
Oil Depot

Horseshoe Corner.
This was formed by a mediaeval breach in the sea wall. A breach in 1560 caused a still existing reed bed where reeds were grown for thatching.
After 1935 the area was used for coal storage for power stations by Williams & Sons.
The council used the area west of Horseshoe Corner as a tip in the early 1950's until1965. This was probably domestic refuse but it is unclear. To the west dumping started in the 1970s.

Thunderer Road
Named for HMS Thunderer, last big warship built on the Thames and fitted here. She was launched in 1911 and at 22,500 tons was the largest ‘dreadnought' afloat. The specially built Thunderer Jetty at Dagenham Dock was used as she was too big for the Royal Docks,
Thunderer Jetty. TDG Dagenham. Used for ocean-going vessel with an inner barge berth. The jetty has 31 dedicated jetty lines with road tanker loading points, There is a large complex of 200 tanks designed to hold petroleum products, solvents (including flammables), base oils chemicals, and food products. There is a laboratory, for testing, certification, etc,
CEMEX jetty for Dagenham recycling centre.

Bird. Geography of the Port of London
Grace's Guide. Web site
London Borough of Barking and Dagenham. Web site
Nature Conservation in Barking and Dagenham
Port of London Journal
Victoria County History of Essex. Barking and Dagenham

Sunday, 29 May 2011

Thames Tributary Goresbrook - Dagenham Marsh

Thames Tributary Goresbrook
The brook continues to flow south towards the Thames and is joined by the Ship and Shovel sewer.

TQ 48303 83755

This is where the old A13 turns into the viaduct over the Ford works.  This is partly another suburban area and partly another chunk of the Ford factory

Post to the north Goresbrook Park
Post to the south Dagenham Riverside
Post to the east Fords

East of the Goresbrook Interchange it is the new Thames Gateway Road built in 1999 and now the A13. The westernmost stretch is also called Choats Manor Way.
Viaduct over the Ford works opened late 1999. This large fully continuous, precast pre-stressed segmental concrete structure carries the road around Ford's plant. It used glued segmental cantilevers to provide a low-maintenance structure with a 54 000 m2 monolithic deck using 1030 precast segments giving a 1750 m long continuous structure. It won a Concrete Society Certificate of Excellence and was shortlisted for a British Construction Industry Award.

Baden Powell Close
Harmony House. Modern building with lecture rooms, workshop and sacred space. It is on the site of the Sacred Heart Convent Secondary School. In the 1990's, the Sisters of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary commissioned the architect, Firooz Alexander Sefre, to create a new centre for learning that would encompass all beliefs. This was opened in 2001.
Peter Barber Architects’ Terrace of courtyard houses running the length of the site. Flats at each the end of the terraces and Cherry blossom trees.

Burdetts Road
Brook Meadow housing. With gardens which extend almost to the stream's banks,
The Gores Brook goes under the road into the housing development reducing the green corridor. A reed bed here shows that they are not always confined to water. They were once many of them on this site.

Choat’s Manor Way
The original line of Choats Manor Way runs south from Ripple Road to the river and this has now been rebuilt and upgraded.
Choats Manor Way bridge over the CTRL. Steel composite road bridge built by Ove Arup. Steel beams with approach embankments of reinforced earth, supported on concrete columns

Coaley Row
This road which is now inside a container depot was to the west of Chequers Lane and is said to have once had cottages where coal trimmers lived. In the 1980s it enclosed a sports ground.

Cook Road
Vue Cinema. This was built in the 1990s as the Warner Village. It has 9 screens.
Bingo Hall

The Ship and Shovel relief sewer
This is a tributary of the Goresbrook and flows eastward close to the railway, and drains much of the site east of Renwick Road by means of an old ditch system. It contains species typical of fresh water.

Goresbrook Road
Cones. At the Junction with Ripple Road are two concave-sided cones covered in black tarmac, by Thomas Heatherwick Studio.
St Peter's Catholic Primary School. Opened in 1933. Now parish centre. With sculpture over the door
St Peter's Catholic Primary School. With nursery.
St.Peter’s Roman Catholic Church. Founded 1926 as a mission and taken over two years later by the La Salette Brothers. The church hall was built in 1929 and was followed by the current brick church in 1937.
St.Martin’s church. Opened in 1925 and the current red brick building dates from 1931. Architect Newberry & Fowler. Traditional interior of buff brick, but it includes a painting of the Crucifixion by Hans Feibusch, 1949.
149 Old School House. 19th house.
Becontree ambulance station
Goresbrook Road Mixed School opened 1929. Closed
Sacred Heart Convent School for Girls secondary modern school opened 1929. Closed 1989

Merrielands Crescent
Merrielands. This was a mid-19th brick building known since the early part of the 20th as Merrielands. It was previously called America Farm.
Merrielands Retail Park The Gores Brook passes through the car park of the ASDA superstore.

Morrison Road
Scrattons Farm Housing Estate built in 1939 between the A13 and the railway.
Scrattons Farm Eco Park. This was Morrison Road Rough. It had been allotments and two ditches which was grazing land until the railway was built and then used as allotment following the building of the houses. Vegetation included escapes from cultivation - soapwort and horse-radish as well as currant bushes. It opened as a nature reserve in 2002.
Scrattons Sports and Social Club
Scrattons Farm Hall

Pooles Lane
Poole’s Marsh – this was once also called Copper Mill Field, implying of course, the presence of a copper mill.
Cycle circuit now gone.

Ripple Road
This was called Rippleside and then Ripple Street. Rippleside means 'beside the strip of land', - which means the narrow stretch of ground north of Dagenham marshes. It is still the A13 as far as the Goresbrook Interchange and then becomes the A1306.
Industrial estate. This was planned as part of the Ford estate and modelled on the Slough Trading Estate. Although other motor companies established works here it eventually went over to Ford's own use.
Paint, trim and assembly plant by Martin Hutchinson with Posford, Parry & Partners. Built in 1954-9
Ford Gas Works. This was a coke oven plant with 48 ovens, and the surplus gas sold to the North Thames Gas Board through an agreement of 1932
Briggs Motor Bodies established here in 1931 and bought by Ford in 1953

The Gores
A gore is a wedge shaped bit of land, or in Essex ‘a muddy obstruction in a water course’. Locally the name might come from a John Cory who held estates in Dagenham in the 14th.

Cinema Treasures, Web site
Grace's Guide. Web site
Ford. Web site
London Borough of Barking and Dagenham Web site
Nature Conservation in Barking and Dagenham
SABRE Web site
Stewart. Gas Works of the North Thames Area
St.Martin;s Church. Web site
St .Peter's Church. Web site
Victoria History of Essex

Saturday, 28 May 2011

Thames Tributary Goresbrook - Dagenham

Thames Tributary Goresbrook
The Goresbrook rises in this area and flows southwards to the Thames

TQ 48384 84130

Area of suburban Dagenham

Post to the east Dagenham Heathway
Post to the south Dagenham
Post to the west Becontree

Chaplin Road
Dagenham Baptist Church. The meetings were in a hut owned by the local butcher. Later a tent was used on the site of the current church in Chaplin Road. The church itself was opened in 1927.

Dagenham Avenue
The Goresbrook flows underneath it.

Finnymore Road
Godwin Primary School

Hatfield Road
Hatfield Community Centre

The source is under the District Railway Line near Parsloes Park

Goresbrook Park
The Goresbrook itself enters Goresbrook Park having flowed under Hedgeman’s Road. In the park it flows south through grassland but a range of plants grow along it and within it, attracting small scale wildlife. Because of the stream the area is liable to flood and unsuitable for housing. The LCC gave the land to Barking Council in 1930 who levelled and landscaped it. They also provided a sandpit and a paddling pool.

Hedgeman’s Road
The Goresbrook flows underneath it.
London City Mission. A. C. Dawson Gospel Hall. Built in 1930

Parsloes Park
Parsloes Park is named from ‘Posselewesmede’. So called in 1390. This is an old family name and comes from the Old French for 'cross the water'.

Rowdons Road
Thomas Arnold Primary School

Shortcross Road
Parsloes Primary School
Urswick Road
St Alban’s church built in 1933-4 and designed by Milner and Craze and funded by Violet Wills of the Wills tobacco family. The church is an expensive work in ashlar. It has a tower and pinnacles. Inside is a spacious nave under a massive roof.

Dagenham Baptist Church. Web site
London Borough of Barking. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. East London
St. Albans Church. Web site
Victoria History of Essex. Barking and Dagenham

Friday, 27 May 2011

Thames Tributary Beam River - Dagenham marshes

Thames Tributary Beam River
The Beam continues to flow south towards the Thames

TQ 49112 81912

Another chunk of the Ford works and the riverside site of their now removed neon signage. Roads called after Ford models

Beam River
The Beam outfall lands had belonged to Romford Canal Co and were sold to Fords in 1924.
Beam Outfall or Havering Great Sluice. This is an automatic sluice which closes at high tide. Without it the tide would back up the creek and flood.

Post to the west Dagenham Dock
Post to the east Hornchurch Marshes
Post to the south Belvedere Marshes
Post to the west Crossness Engines

Anglia Way.
This is a private road which continues Kent Avenue onto the Ford jetty. Anglia was a Ford car, made in Dagenham and launched soon after the start of the Second World War. It was made until 1967 when it was replaced by the Escort, by which time 1,594,486 had been produced.
Kent Avenue
The southern end is a private road within the Ford works

Perry Road
Hanson Depot and aggregate works.

Ford sidings - there was and is a 10 mile network of rail sidings around the Ford site.

River Thameside
Cable. A 132 kV cable crossed the Thames here with towers 148.4 metres tall. It was built between 1927 and 1932 and taken down in 1987.
Ford Wharf is the longest private wharf on the river and is the reason Ford chose the site. The jetty handles ships of 12,000 tons and was built for imported iron ore and coal. It is now a Ro-Ro operation and handles imported vehicles from Ford factories in Europe. It also handles imported goods and materials for other manufacturers.
Neon sign on the riverfront building said ‘Ford’ and was the largest neon sign in Europe.
Ford ferry. From 1933 to 2003 a ferry brought workers from south London across the river.
Flying grounds owned by the Royal Aeronautical Society from 1909 were bought for the Ford works. A shed was built there to house a large dirigible and a wooden hangar was built by West and Coe for experimental balloons. Gatherings were held there – at one of which it has been suggested that the Wright Brothers attended.

Thames Avenue
Ford Head Offices. This was behind the jetty on the riverfront. It was in an Art Deco style by Heathcote & Sons and included a hospital and a training centre.
Ford Assembly Plant buildings designed were by Heathcote and Sons, 1929-31; site work and erection by Trentham. The consisted of nine parallel two-storey ranges, 1,000ft long, of steel framing clad in brick. Although they were modified for changing methods of car production, they were surviving relics of the revolutionary Ford processes. At the east end was a power house and foundry from which the raw materials entered and went progressively through via a conveyor system until the completed vehicles were driven under their own power onto the quayside. By 1966 the riverside building was dedicated to engine manufacturing.

Ford. Web site
Grace's Guide. Web site
London Borough of Barking and Dagenham. Web site

Thursday, 26 May 2011

Thames Tributary Beam River - Dagenham marshes

Thames Tributary Beam River
The Beam continues to flow south towards the Thames. It is joined by a connection from the lake formed from Dagenham Breach

TQ 5010882363

An area of the Ford Works with all the road names called after Ford models

Post to the north Dagenham Country Park
Post to the east Rainham Marshes
Post to the south Hornchurch Marshes

A13 Thames Gateway
This is the Thames Gateway Road, completed in 1999. It has an award-winning viaduct over the Ford works.

Consul Avenue
This is a private road within what used to be the Ford site serving various business parks.
Consuls were Ford cars made in the early 1960s along with the Zephyr range, and later featured a number of models. It was replaced by/evolved into the Cortina.
Thames Foundry site. This lies west of Marsh Way on the north side of Consul Drive. This was a highly mechanised iron foundry with a continuous pouring system rebuilt in the mid 1950s. It was controlled by an Oerlikon Punched Card system. Initially it produced 400 tons of castings a day.

Cortina Drive
Cortina was a Ford car made in its millions 1962-82. Dagenham’s finest!
A private road within what was the Ford estate.
London’s strategic salt reserve
Ford sign – in its own little compound it is designed to be seen from the New Road (ex A13)

Courier Road
Private road in what was the Ford Estate. Couriers were vans based on the Fiesta and produced here.

Fiesta Drive
Fiesta is a Ford car, and some production of its wonderful first model was undertaken in Dagenham.

Marsh Way
Centre for Engineering and Manufacturing Excellence. Campus including education and business ‘innovation’ sites.  A training and business centre by Sheppard 2001-3, funded by Ford and local colleges. There is a campus  with a curved plan overlooking a pond, and two eye catching features - a central cedar-clad drum and a bulbous containing lecture theatres.

Thames Avenue
This was the main road into the Ford complex and goes to the river

Ford. Web site

Wednesday, 25 May 2011

Thames Tributary Beam River - Dagenham Country Park

Thames Tributary Beam River
The Beam River flows south east towards the Thames. It is joined by the Wantz stream from the north west which itself has been joined by the Marley Stream from the north west.

TQ 50508 84123

Suburban Dagenham with some countryside and a never-happened canal

Post to the west Fords
Post to the north Dagenham East
Post to the south Dagenham Marshes

Beam River
The Beam River is the divide between Barking and Havering
The Wantz joins the Beam River just north of Beam Bridge. It is a small, gravelly stream.
Sluice. Below the confluence of the two rivers is a sluice. A pipe bridge above it marks the presumed line of the Romford Canal.

Beam Valley Country Park.
The Park lies at the southern end of the Dagenham Corridor, and crosses the Borough boundaries.
The channel of the Romford Canal runs parallel to the Beam on the Dagenham side and is flanked by a row of hawthorns.

Leys Avenue
Dagenham Hospital. In 1897 West Ham Corporation built a fever hospital on the site of Rookery Farm, an associated problem being caused by land owned by the Romford Canal Co. Rookery Farm was demolished and West Ham small pox hospital opened in 1899. In 1912 it was converted into a sanatorium - West Ham Sanatorium, later Dagenham Sanatorium - for adults with TB. It was closed as a sanatorium in 1965 and then became Dagenham Hospital, closing in 1996. The site is now an extension of the Beam Valley parkland open space
The Leys Children’s Centre
Theresa Greene Occupational centre. Now gone.
Lowen Road
Newtons Primary School.

New Road
Beam Bridge. Bridge over the river built originally by Tilbury Fort Turnpike Trust, which about 1810 built this stretch of road as part of the access for the military.
Coal post – a City of London coal duty marker should have stood here and is presumed moved during construction works.
Romford Canal - A lock was built at Beam Bridge and some parts of this were once still visible. This was the first of six locks which were planned.
Mill – A windmill is shown on the east bank of the Beam River in 1610 and a Beam River Mill are listed in directories until the 1880s.
Mill House Club.
Mardyke Estate – this is east of the Beam on some of the land of Mardyke Farm and there are many infilled gravel workings. It is now Orchard Village, having been transferred to Old Ford Housing Association in 2008. The name Orchard Village reflects the previous use of part of the estate as an orchard which supplied fruit to Wilkin & Sons. The former estate was the setting of the 2009 film Fish Tank by Andrea Arnold.

Oval Road North
Beam Primary School. Built in 1951 in brick and concrete with single-storey classroom blocks and a water tower. The playing field extends over what was the site of the proposed Romford Canal.

Romford Canal
A canal to Romford from the Thames was first proposed in 1809 and plans for a canal along the Beam valley were drawn up in 1824. In 1875 an act was passed to enable construction work to begin. Work was started on the lower Beam Valley section, including a bridge and a lock. Some of the canal was used for defence in the Second World War and subsequently infilled. Between Rainham and New Roads and channel is generally dry. About mid way is a military pill box. The canal bed above the lock became a school playing field in 1974.

South Street
Mardyke Community Centre

Beam School. Web site
GLIAS. Newsletter
London Borough of Barking. Web site
Lost Hospitals of London,. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. East London
Victoria History of Essex. Barking and Dagenham

Monday, 23 May 2011

Thames Tributary Marley Stream - Dagenham Fords

Thames Tributary Marley Stream
The Marley stream continues to flow south east towards the Wantz and the Beam River.

TQ 49021 83539

A bit of suburban Dagenham - the main road, ex-A13 with all that that implies, and a corner of the vast Ford works

Post to the west Dagenham
Post to the north Dagenham Heathway
Post to the east Dagenham

Baddow Close
King George’s Field. This was created in 1952-3 using what had been Marsh Green Recreation Ground using a King George Jubilee Grant.

Ballards Road
Old Tuck Shop
The Marley Stream crosses Ballards Road at the edge of the park

Broad Street
This once extended Ripple Street into Dagenham

Chequers Lane
The manor house of Cockermouth was south of the Chequers Inn. In the 19th century it replaced by Pound House, named from the manorial pound which was in the yard. It was demolished in the 1920s. The manor of Cockermouth was a tenement of Barking Abbey until 1330, when it was held by John of Cockermouth and let to a series of tenants. He passed it back to Barking Abbey. After the dissolution in 1560 it was leased to a series of individuals and by the late 18th it was part of Spurrell's Farm. Pound House Farm was also part of the estate and in 1898 it was sold to Samuel Williams, founder of the shipping firm at Dagenham Dock. In 1922 it was bought by the London County Council and used for building. .
Employment Exchange and Job Centre
Ford Stamping Operation factory. The stamping operation produces body panels for all over Europe. 5000 people are employed on site. The new building has temperature, atmosphere control and particle control.  Dagenham is Ford’s European centre for diesel engines in manufacturing and design. The engine plant covers 2.5 million square feet, plus another 460,000 square feet of manufacturing space
The original Ford works was built in the 1920s. Moving here from Manchester's Trafford Park. It was built in 1929-31 to designs by Charles Heathcote & Sons of Manchester who had already designed factories at Dagenham Dock for Samuel Williams and Sons. Sir Cyril Kirkpatrick was consulting engineer, and the general layout of the site developed by Ford's 'Cast Iron Charlie' Sorensen. 22,000 concrete piles, cast on site, were driven into the marsh to cover 66 acres. It was the largest works in Europe, employing 40,000 workers in 1953. The plant has a power station, a blast furnace coke ovens and gas plant, plus the largest private wharf on the Thames. Car production at Ford ceased in 2002. By which time over 11 million vehicles had been made.

Dagenham Common
This was north of Ripple Road and enclosed as late as 1861. , The railway was built through it.

Morland Road
Broad Street Medical Centre
1-2 Dairy Crest Depot. Built as United Dairy depot on the site of Potters Farm. Previously this had been the site of Gallance Manor. Thus had been a holding of the manor of Barking. The name is first recorded in 1412, and is that of the then tenant, Galant. In 1649 the house had 'five low rooms and two lofts'.

New Road
Built by the Tilbury Fort Turnpike Trust in 1810. This was during the Napoleonic Wars and it was thought important to get the troops to Tilbury quickly. It was designated as gtheA13 and was duelled in the late 1920s. It is now the A1306
Chequers Corner. Named for the pub it is an important local junction.
Chequers pub. This was at the Ripple Road junction. It dated to 1775 when it was at a different location, moving here by 1810. It was demolished in 1987 and a Halfords store was built on the site. The name is said to relate to a checked pattern made by fields nearby.
36 old post office built in 1939 in the ‘Office of Works style’
46-48 Transport House. Transport and General Workers Union building
100 Imperial House. Locally listed art deco building. Currently used by various motor vehicle repair depots and the Redeemed Christian Church of God.
104 old National Provincial Bank. A neo-Georgian building.
Anglers Retreat. This pub dated to the early 19th but was rebuilt in the 1880s. It closed in 2001 and was demolished in 2002.
Dagenham Motors car show room. This was the original car show room for Reynolds Ford dealership opened in the 1935. The square clock tower was a local landmark. Large glass windows and curved corners. Demolished
Marsh Green Children’s Centre. Locally listed old school.
Mountain of Fire and Miracles. This is the old Princess Cinema designed by Robert Crombie, and opened in 1932. The cinema was built for Lou Morris with seating on a stadium plan. It had a Compton theatre organ, a stage for variety shows and a cafe. It was taken over by Associated British Cinemas in 1933 and it closed in 1960. It became the Princess Bowl until 2005.
Princess Parade - row of shops with white painted brick

School Road
Dagenham Park Community School. Designed by Essex County Architect as a large school with art deco features.

South Close
Marsh Green Primary School

Cinema Treasures. Web site
Dagenham Park School. Web site
Ford. Web site
GLIAS. Newsletter
London Borough of Barking. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. East London
Victoria History of Essex. Barking and Dagenham

Sunday, 22 May 2011

Thames Tributary Marley Stream - Heathway

Thames Tributary Marley Stream
The Marley Stream rises in the area of Old Dagenham Park and flows south east to join the Wantz Stream

Post to the north Dagenham
Post to the west Goresbrook Park
Post to the east Dagenham East
Post to the south Fords

Ballard’s Road
Swimming Pool. This opened on 29 July 1939, cost £30,000 and was designed by F.C. Lloyd. There was a children's pool and three concrete diving boards on a gantry. These were closed in 1978 season and demolished in 1980. The Pool closed in 1979 season, following frost damage and vandalism. It was demolished after 1984.

Broad Street
Part of a route which was originally called French Lane which ran between Barking and Dagenham but which was reconfigured by the Becontree planners. It had run north from Ripple Street, and then became Harbutt Street, which was a name for a local farm. As part of an old village area planners used it as a shopping centre
Admiral Vernon Pub. This was built in the late 1920s. It is an estate pub with its original plan and fittings. It is in the brewers half timbered ‘Tudor’ with a now disused off-sales shop. The counter fittings are original plus a pink terrazzo spittoon.
121 Dagenham Working Men’s Club

Charlotte Road
Dagenham Evangelical Free church opened 1931. Now Dagenham Community Church.
Dagenham Trades Hall
Church Elm Lane
Elms were grown for church repairs and for cash. The last remaining elm died of Dutch Elm disease in 1974.
Wrights House which belonged to John Comyns's charity was used as a workhouse between 1810 and 1836
Church Elm Lane Health Centre
1 Dagenham Library
1 Redeemed Christian Church of God. Have met here since the early 21st
Church Elm Pub. This had stood there from the 1840s and was a plain brick beer house. It was expanded and 'improved' by Edward Meredith in 1931 with two private bars, an off licence and a tea room and lounge . It was closed and demolished in 2008.

Dagenham Great Common
Joined the Little Common and went as far as Buttfield Close

Ford Road
Ford Road Children’s Centre. This is run by the London Early Years Foundation, a charitable company set up to provide childcare in Westminster in 1903
Village Infant School. Moved to this site in 1970 which it shares with the William Ford School
Ford Road Clinic. Closed
William Ford Church of England School. Ford's Endowed School. Founded in 1828 by William Ford, a local farmer. The school used a rented building near the church in Church Elm Lane but by 1841 there was enough money for a permanent school, and a teacher's house and later some branch schools were built in other parts of the area. The school began to get government grants and expanded. In 1909 the teacher's house was rebuilt as a school hall and in 1932 the school was re-organized for juniors. It became aided in 1951.

Heathway is a main street running north towards the heathland of Becontree Heath. Dagenham UDC promoted a shopping centre here close to Dagenham Heathway station to make up for the lack of one provided by the Becontree Planners
252 Link Centre on the site of the Odeon Dagenham. Built as the Heathway Cinema by Kay Bros. Kessex Cinemas Ltd. It opened in 1936 and was designed by George Coles. With the stepped ceiling like that at the Troxy and some art deco it had 2,200 seats. In 1943 it was taken over by Odeon Theatres Ltd. Chain and re-named Gaumont in 1949. As part of the Rank Organisation, it was re-named Odeon in 1964. It closed in 1971 and was converted into a B&Q DIY store. It was burnt down in 1983.
The Mall shopping centre built in the late 1970s and since expanded. In brick with flats above.
Dagenham Heathway Station. Opened in 1932 it now runs Between Dagenham East and Becontree on the District Line. It was opened by the London Midland Scottish and Metropolitan District Railway as ‘Heathway’. In 1949 it was renamed ‘Dagenham Heathway’ and in 2005 refurbished

Old Dagenham Park
Marley Stream rises, was called Maplin Ditch. The park was built in 1931 on some of the land of the manor of East Hall on fields called The Leys.
Dagenham arena

Pondsfield Park
The southern part of this local park built along the Wantz stream. This section was originally the ornamental section of the park and laid out in the 1920s.

Rectory Road
Rectory Library. Built in 1935 by E. C. Lloyd, Council Engineer and Surveyor. Art Deco with a porch and columns.
Royal British Legion (Dagenham Branch)
Age Concern. Park Centre

St. Mark’s Place
Built on allotments on the north side of the railway between Dagenham Heathway station to Pondfields Park. A footpath with a bridge over the tracks divided the site into two. At the east end of the allotment was rectangle marking an old gravel extraction site.

Tuesday, 17 May 2011

Thames Tributary Wantz Stream -Dagenham

Thames Tributary Wantz Stream
The Stream runs southwards, partly culverted, toward the Beam River.

TQ 49389 85365

Suburban Dagenham. Just like anywhere else

Post to the north Becontree Heath
Post to the south Heathway

Alibon Road
Richard Alibon Junior School. Built 1927 as Alibon Road School and now has a nature garden
Hunters Hall Primary School built in 1928 as Rockwell Road Schools and re-organised in 1933

Dagenham Little Common
This was in the area now covered by Rockwell Road/ Hunters Hall Road/ Pondfield Road/ Reede Road. In the south it met Dagenham Great Common which then stretched southwards

Frizlands Lane
Frizlands Manor stood at the south end of the lane on the west side. It was a moated manor demolished in 1932. It has been named when it was purchased by the de Fristling family in 1303 and stayed there until 1374. The house was rebuilt in 16th and again in the 19th.

Barking and Dagenham Social Services
Trinity School. Special school.

Holgate Street
Is roughly on the line of Workhouse Lane
Workhouse - the Dagenham Parish Workhouse was probably here from 1787

Hunters Hall Road
Hunters Hall was named in the 16th after the Hallman family but was later renamed after the Hunters and called Hunters Hall by 1779.

Oxblow Lane
This originally ran from Halbutt Lane to Bull Lane, via the Four Wantz
Oxblow Lane Clinic
Oxblow Lane Baptist Church
. Founded 1938
The Beacon. Mock Tudor pub built 1937

Pondfield Park
The planners of the Becontree Estate provided a strip of open space alongside the Fenchurch Street and District Line railway track. This site includes the Pondfields Park and adjacent unused allotments. The land was thought unsuitable for building and was given to the Borough by the London County Council in the 1920s. It originally consisted of two recreation areas which was put together in the 1980s. The northern part was mainly playing fields. It contains one of the largest weeping willows in London
Rainham Road North
Wantz Library and Community Hall
Sterling Industrial Estate. In 1900 the Berliner Telephone Factory of Hanover, bought a factory here from Morris Arming Tube and Ammunition Company in 1910. They were then renamed The Sterling Telephone & Electric Company and made various telephones for industry. The factory eventually covered ten acres. They made phones, switchboards, and electrical and telephone equipment and fittings. After the war they diversified but could not compete with larger companies. In 1926 they sold out to Marconiphone and the factory made Marconi’s valve wireless sets. The complex had its own power station, gasworks, printers, fire station, first aid service, canteens, and recreation hall. They made weaponry and produced the Sterling submachine gun during the Second World War. In the 1970s Ford bought some of the area as an assembly line for the Capri. They became bankrupt in 1988.
W.J.Fraser, chemical engineers. Chemical engineering company

Rogers Road
St.George‘s church. Built in 1935 by Milner and Craze. This is a yellow brick building.

Victoria Road
Dagenham and Redbridge football club ground. The ground dates from 1917 when it was used by the adjacent Sterling works. The ground was improved in the1950s by Dagenham Football Club and later by Redbridge Forest. Eventually the two clubs merged

Wantz Road
Hector Powe. Factory where they manufactured men’s clothing for their own shops. Their suits sold for at £30 in 1960. They had a training unit or school leavers in the factory.
Heathway Industrial Estate
Midas Business Centre
Rediffusion house

Dagenham and Redbridge Football Club. Web site
London Borough of Barking. Web site
Hunters Hall School. Web site
Oxblow Lane Baptist. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. East London
Richard Alibon School. Web site
St. George's. Web site
The Beacon. Web site
Victoria History of Essex. Barking and Dagenham

Sunday, 15 May 2011

Thames Tributary Wantz Stream - Becontree Heath

Thames Tributary Wantz Stream
The Wantz continues, culverted, to flow south towards the Beam River

TQ 49526 86539

On the edge of the giant Becontree Estate where there were attempts by the local council to create a centre. There is now a giant new leisure centre and one pub at least remains open.  Open space was created in the 1930s along with Dagenham's little civic centre.  There are many tower blocks set in spacious surroundings.

Post to the north Crowlands
Post to the south Dagenham

Althorne Way
Dagenham Swimming Pool designed by the Borough Architects, S.Harris and M. Maybury in 1972. Closed but used as a BMX track for a while
Becontree Heath Leisure Centre opened 2011

Ashbrook Road
Named for Ashbrook House, 18th house which was once called ‘Sparks’.

Becontree Heath
The name is also recorded as ‘Bentry Heath’. Becontree is the name of one of the ancient hundreds of Essex, and its meeting place was on Becontree Heath, a name recorded in the 13th. Originally a tree would have stood on the heath to mark the place where the hundred meetings were held

Bull Lane
This is the remains of Bull Lane which was once a main road the length of which is now covered by Rainham Road.
Housing was mostly developed post-war by the local authority. There are parallel blocks of maisonettes plus individual houses at each end.

Central Park
The park was created in the 1930s at the same time as the Civic Centre. It was opened in 1932 and made up of land belonging to Eastbrook Farm. During the Second World War it was ploughed up for and an anti-invasion ditch was cut across the park.
The Wantz Stream flows south underground through it

Clap Lane
Old name for a lane which now runs through Central Park

Frizlands Lane
Named for an early medieval family and landholders.
William Bellamy School. In the 19th William Ford, a local farmer, was interested in education and in the 1870s the new School Board for Dagenham bought some of his land on Becontree Heath and built Becontree Heath School there in 1877. In the 1960's A new open school plan was designed and built as Becontree Heath Junior School. It was then renamed for Alderman William Bellamy, a former Chair of the Board of Governors.

Listowel Road
Group of old people's cottages around a green

Marston Avenue
Clay Cottages stood here until 1962. These had been Tudor farm labourers’ homes and other such cottages had already been demolished.

Rainham Road North
Was once called Spark Street and then Bull Lane. It links the old village with Dagenham East
Tannery – there was once an important tan yard here and the Wantz Stream in this area was called ‘Tanners Brook’.
70 Fire station. Listed Grade II. Built 1937 by Berry Webber. Brick, with five engine bays and a huge practice tower.
Frizlands Lane local authority recycling centre and tip

Stour Road
90 Council Offices

Tannery Close
Named for the tannery which stood in the area

The Broadway
Becontree Heath Methodist Church.

Uvedale Road
Blocks of LCC style flats. On the centre block is a Festival of Britain badge.

Wood Lane
Merry Fiddlers. Pub demolished in 1982. The pub dated back to the 1860s.
Civic Centre. The LCC did not build a centre for Becontree and as Dagenham Urban District Council was keen to promote its civic identity this was built in 1936 by E. Berry Webber with E. C. Lloyd, Borough Engineer. It has a monumental facade sited for maximum impact. On the portico are pillars carved with panels of Engineering, Local Government and Navigation by Aumonier. Originally there were illuminated blue tiled lily ponds in front. When the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham was set up it kept both of its civic buildings.
Office block 1963, designed by Berry Webber.
Bus depot
The Three Travellers locally listed pub
Ship and Anchor. Locally listed pub

Evans. Bygone Dagenham and Rainham
London Borough of Barking. Web site
Nature Conservation in Barking and  Dagenham
Victroria Coumty History of Esssex

Tuesday, 10 May 2011

Thames Tributary – Wantz Stream - Crowlands

Thames Tributary – Wantz Stream
The Wantz may rise in this area and flow south towards the Beam River and the Thames

The Great Eastern Railway Line from Liverpool Street to Shenfield runs north westwards from Chadwell Heath Station
TQ 49228 87815

Area on the outskirts of Romford with some housing but mainly facilities like schools and industrial sites

Post to the north Romford
Post to the south Becontree Heath
Post to the west Whalebone Lane

Braithwaite Avenue
Named for John Braithwaite responsible for laying out the Great Eastern Railway onto which the road backs.

Crow Lane
Crowlands. An area named for John Crowland who lived here in 1480. A hamlet called Crowlands was on the junction of Crow Lane and Jutsums Lane by 1514
Housing was built here in the 1930s but previously this lane was narrow, winding and dirty. It has many works at the eastern end - mainly scrap, waste recycling, removals and transport works of many kinds.
Jutsums Recreation Ground, small local park

Jutsums Lane
Crowlands railway station was proposed in 1900 on the Great Eastern Main Line here. It was to have been sited west of the road bridge. The platform was partly constructed, but the station never opened. The idea was reconsidered in 1935 but again the station did not open. Foundations can be found on the embankment
Grangewood Plastics Packaging Factory founded 1924 makes all sorts of packaging but mainly black plastic refuse sacks.
Crowlands. This is grassland on the site of a former gravel pit later used as a tip and then later capped and re-seeded. There are wet depressions but the drier parts have a mix of grasses which have been grazed by horses. There are also a range of small common flowering plants. There are breeding skylarks, meadow pipits and reed buntings.

Railway Line
Great Eastern Main Line. Built between Mile End and Romford in 1839.
Signal Box east of Jutsums Lane. closed in 1949.
Overhead electrification depot east of Jutsums Lane. Opened in 1949 as part of the Shenfield Electrification scheme
Obelisk. Coal duty –Metropolitan Police boundary marker. On the north side of the line. Erected in 1851 and on the boundary of London Boroughs of Barking and Dagenham and Havering. This is 6 ft high of granite tapering on a stone base. The Inscribed face is towards railway line.

Rosslyn Avenue
Hartley Brook Church

Terling Road
All Saints’ Roman Catholic School and Technology College. Built 1954 by Sterret and Blouet as Bishop Ward School. It is a long two-storey range in concrete with a curved roof. There is a later Science Centre built 1991 by Living Architects and a Music and Drama Centre by Curl La Tourelle Architects, 2003.

Vignoles Avenue
Named for Charles Vignoles who was responsible for laying out the Great Eastern Railway onto which the road backs.

Wood Lane
Crowlands Golf Centre .The Golf Centre now manages this sports complex.
Ford Sports and Social Ground. Home of Ford’s football team and it also has a running track.
Wood Lane Sports Centre. This was a Barking and Dagenham Centre sold in 2010.
Aqua driving range. The Wantz Lake is cited as a source of the Wantz Stream and serves as a balancing reservoir to control flooding. It is aartificially banked, with vegetation growing in cracks within the concrete. The Lake forms part of the golf driving range
Trees an area of young trees and scrub to the west. There are rows of hybrid black Poplars at the northern and eastern boundary of the golf driving range.
Pitch and putt area. Area of amenity grassland but with a strip of neutral grassland with tall herbs
A hedge runs along the west side of the site and is thought to be part of the ancient boundary hedge of Hainault Forest mentioned in 1301. It runs along the course of the Wantz Stream and has a diversity of trees and shrubs. It turns south-west along the Borough boundary turns north-east and then along the southern edge of Crowlands, where it breaks up into a series of isolated bushes.
Wantz stream - Downstream of here the stream runs underground through Central Park, and only appears above ground again south of Dagenham Church.
Robert Clack School. Built by Essex County Council as a Secondary Technical School in 1955. It has since become a comprehensive school with a science specialism.
Coal post. On the south side of the road alongside a bridge at the junction of Wood Lane and Rush Green Road
Bridge over the Wantz at the junction of Rush Green Road. Coat of arms displayed on it.

Coal posts. Web site
London Borough of Barking and Dagenham. Web site
Nature Conservation in Barking and Dagenham
Robert Clack School. Web site

Monday, 9 May 2011

Thames Tributary Wantz Stream - Romford

Thames Tributary Wantz Stream
The Wantz stream may be fed from ditches and springs in the area around Crown Farm. It then flows south to join the Beam River and the Thames

Post to the north Mawneys
Post to the south Crowlands
Post to the east New Romford

Jubilee Close
Gaysfield. NALGO Sports Ground

Jutsums Lane
St Agnes Church. Mission Church built 1928.

London Road
St Edwards Church of England Comprehensive School. Originally this was a charity school founded in 1710. Until 1728 it was in two houses, but then moved to a new building in the Market Place where it stayed until the mid 1960s when separate primary and secondary schools were built. The secondary school here has been expanded in 2001 with a new block and is now a specialist Language College
Crown Cottages. These were dwellings built on Crown lands after the clearance of Hainault Forest in the 1850s. They are brick with a ‘VR AR' plaque.
Crown Farm House. An early 17th farmhouse fronted in white render and with a cluster of chimneystacks. It is now ‘Crown Farm’ but earlier it was called Pigtail Farm – a name which might refer to a stream or piece of ground which resembled a pig’s tail. Granary. Brick 18th
Westlands Playing Fields. A new school sports pavilion has been built as part of a development for Romford Football Club.

Saturday, 7 May 2011

Thames Tributary Beam -Dagenham East

Thames Tributary Beam
The Beam flows southeast towards the Thames

The Wantz Stream flows south towards the Beam River
TQ 49994 84465

The old original village of Dagenham is hidden away here somewhere

Post to the west Dagenham Heathway
Post to the east Bretons
Post to the south Dagenham

Ballards Lane
The Leys. This was once the fields of the manor of East Hall.

The river provides the dividing line between Barking and Havering –creating an area now known as the Dagenham corridor which consists largely of grassland and lakes from gravel diggings. Its earlier name was in fact ‘Le Markediche’ that is 'boundary ditch' The current name of the river comes from the ‘Beam Bridge’ a piece of wood which was used to cross it. A cascade has been placed in the river north of Rainham Road

Beam Valley Path
North of Rainham Road the path follows the line of the Romford Canal

Canberra Road
Remains of the Romford Canal east of the street

Charles Road
John Perry Primary School. Built 1952 with a nursery school built in 2003-4 by Deborah Saunt & David Hills. It is of dark engineering brick with translucent cladding.Capt John Perry was the engineer responsible for repairing the Dagenham Breach in 1715,

Church Lane
Cottages were demolished to form a new village green.
Minor Hall. This was the National School built in 1835. It is simple, with one central arch window and was built as the result of public action with a government grant of £60 and part of the glebe given by Mr. Fanshawe, who opened it. A Teachers College was later constructed adjacent.

Crown Street,
An extension of Ripple Street and Church Elm, and was once called Dagenham Street. It was named for the Rose and Crown pub. Which closed when the railway hotel was built in 1887.
St.Peter and St.Paul. Dagenham had a chaplain from 1205 when it was owned by Barking Abbey and the church probably dates from then. What stands now is mostly 18th but using old materials. Floods came up to it in 1707. It has an early 13th chancel and a 15th chapel. In December 1800 the tower had collapsed on to the nave and was rebuilt by William Mason in 1805. The spire was removed in 1921. Inside is a gallery with a benefactor’s board. The earliest monument is to Sir Thomas Urswick 1479 Chief Baron of the Exchequer and Recorder of London, a clever unscrupulous lawyer.
Churchyard. This is managed as a wildlife centre but has coffin-shaped tombs in the Essex manner. There are five ash trees between the northern wall of the church and Crown Street while the burial grounds lie to the south where there are a number of lime trees.
Vicarage. Built in the 17th and the front rebuilt in 1665 – date is is on the porch. It is timber-framed and rendered. It stands behind high walls and mature trees. It is in private ownership and listed Grade II.
War Memorial. A stone cross on an octagonal shaft and plinth.
Green This open space which no precedent but was created in the late 1960s by the, Borough Engineer and Planning Officer.
Cross Keys Inn. This is an early 15th hall house originally with a jetty but now cased in brick in 1952.

The name is first recorded in 687 and means ‘the homestead of Dacca founded near the upper limits of navigation of the Beam, and one of the earliest Saxon settlements in Essex. There is not much left of Dagenham village but some is left round the Church. Other buildings were demolished in the 1960s to make space for new housing.

Rainham Road
This was once called Bull Street after the pub
Bull Tavern. The first mention "the Bull" was in 1726. It has since been rebuilt and is slightly south of the older site.
Ebenezer chapel. Yellow brick structure which was built in 1846. In 1850 it seceded from the Wesleyan connection in sympathy with the Wesleyan Reformers. The building was later used by a mission which gave rise to the Dagenham Free church
Old Dagenham Methodist church. People who remained in the old Wesleyan connection built a chapel in the 1850s. Demolished for road-widening in 1958 and a new building opened in 1962
Dagenham East Station. Opened 1st May 1885. Trains now run between Elm Park and Dagenham Heathway. It was originally built by the London Tilbury and Southend Railway and opened as ‘Dagenham’. In 1902 became part of the Whitechapel & Bow Railway (Metropolitan District Railway) extension eastwards but in 1905 the District Line service ended. It resumed in 1932 with electrification. In 1949 it was renamed ‘Dagenham East’. The station buildings are in typical 1930s style and remains of its Victorian origins.

Shafter Road
The Railway. Big pub opened in the 1890s

South Dagenham road
Dagenham Beam Bridge, first mentioned 1299. The Dagenham beam was originally a baulk of timber specially cut to span the river and in use as a footbridge. In the early 15th this was replaced with a stone bridge. The change of name of the river at this point was noted as early as 1300.
Romford Canal, at the road crossing with lights. There was a bit of a bridge here which was turned into a pill box in the 2nd World War.
Dagenham Pumping Station, Built as a substation of the South Essex Water Co. c. 1910. Italianate, Engine House and Boiler House, The chimney has been demolished. Converted to offices,

Wellington Drive
Leys Children’s Centre

Western Avenue
Old gravel workings in the flood plain of the Beam River. These were in use until the 1960s. When the gravel deposits were worked out the smaller pits were filled in, but the largest was left as a lake.
Lake, this is leased by the Becontree and District Anglers Association, and is fenced off. The banks are mainly steep, with trees, and there are several fishing platforms. There are many waterfowl, which include breeding great crested grebes, coots and mallards. Kingfishers breed here.
Triangle of land west the fishing lake and reaching Rainham Road South. This supports willow woodland.
Pond east of the lake, filled with rubble.

Becontree and District Anglers. Web site
Bull. Web site
Cross Keys. Web site
Day. London Underground
GLIAS. Newsletter
John Perry Primary School,  Web site
London Borough of Barking. Web site
Old Dagenham Methodist Church. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. East London
St.Peter and St, Paul. Web site
Victoria History of Essex. Barking and Dagenham

Friday, 6 May 2011

Thames Tributary Beam River - Bretons

Thames Tributary Beam River
The river continues to flow south towards the Thames

TQ 52065 85006

Extensive area of housing and parkland on the site of Hornchurch Battle of Britain airfield. There is also the old manor of Bretons and some remains of the Romford Canal.

Post to the north Eastbrookend
Post to the west Dagenham East

The river is the divide between Barking and Havering, Dagenham Corridor
The Beam River has also been known as the Mardyke, just to confuse things, and also called the Fleetsmouth or Dagenham Creek

Adnams Walk
Named for Group Captain Adnams, station commander RAF Hornchurch in 1943

Denholme Walk
Wing Commander George Denholme commanded 601 Squadron at Hornchurch during the Second World War and won victories the DFC.

Eastbrookend Park
The Becontree Estate did not go east beyond Dagenham East station, and the Beam valley remained open and was designated as 'Green Belt; in the 1950s. Much of the area was used for gravel extraction and supploied materials for the building of Becontree.
Gravel workings on the flood plain of the Beam which were active until the 1960s and were on a terrace west of the river. These area now host vegetation typical of recently disturbed land. Hummocks make suitable spots for grass snakes to bask and newts live in the rubble. Mice and voles are hunted by Kestrels and there are skylark nests. The scrub is kept in check by horse grazing.
A lake which is east of the river – this is an artificial lake built in the 1970s. It is used for fishing and great crested grebes breed there.
The Beam River is sunk in a deep channel in the southern part of the park but further north there are beds of bur-reed as well as water figwort and fool's cress. In the water are patches of pondweed.
Ditch – this is the remains of the old, and never finished, canal. It is parallel to the river and fifty metres west of it.

Ford Lane
Ford Lodge was a large house which once stood here, on a traditional site and probably home to a Reginald de la Forde in the 13th. In the First World War it was a Belgian hospital and later demolished,
Brittons School. Now calls itself Brittons Academy

Gilroy Close
Named for George Gilroy, Hornchurch RAF pilot shot down over Ilford in 1940.

Locke Close
Named for Eric Locke an RAF Pilot believed to have been shot down over France.

Lovell Walk
Named for Anthony Lovell, an RAF pilot who served with 41 Squadron at Hornchurch

Manor Road
At the end of the road a patch of reed growth marks the path of the Romford Canal.

Rainham Road
Brettons. The manor of Bretons – also called Daniels or Porter's Fee - probably took its name from the Breton family, which lived at Hornchurch from the 12th to the 14th. Daniels and Porters seem to have been separate tenements. In the 15th Sir Richard Arundel held Bretons, and it passed through several owners until in the early 15th William Ayloffe ad his descents held it for many years, until Sir Benjamin Ayloffe, Bt., and a royalist sold it to meet the costs of sequestration. It then passed through more owners and in 1869, was bought by Romford local board for use as a sewage farm. In 1976 it was developed by Havering L.B.C. as a youth and sports ground. It currently includes many sports and an equestrian centre.
Barn from the 16th
Bretons house late-17th origin but rebuilt in the mid 18th, and in the 20th. Restored 1975. It is now a social and heritage centre.
Garden walls Listed Grade II. 16th walls with bee boles on the area of the original house

Roosevelt Way
Romford Canal Remains. The canal bed can be seen north of the road alongside a pill box which was presumably built to protect it. West of the footpath are some concrete tank traps. It likely that a lock was planned in this area.

Ryder Gardens
Named for Edgar Ryder, a regular in the RAF since 1936 who is said to have been the first pilot to successfully ditch a Spitfire.

Simpson Road
Named for Peter Simpson who commanded RAF Hornchurch during the Normandy landings.

Sowrey Avenue
Named for Lt Frank Sowrey who shot down the L32 airship in the First World War

Wells Gardens
Named for Edward Wells an RAF pilot who was at Hornchurch. He was nicknamed ‘Hawkeye’.

Field. London Place Names
London Borough of Havering. Web site
Nature Conservation in Barking and Dagenham
Pevsner and Cherry. Essex
RAF Hornchurch. Web site
Smythe. Citywildspace
Victoria County History of  Essex