Thames Tributary River Ravensbourne - Hornchurch
The Ravensbourne flows south west towards the River Rom
Post to the north Hornchurch
Post to the west Harrow Lodge
Post to the south Elm Park
Apps Cross Gardens
Royal Mail Depot
Abbs Cross Lane
Abbs Cross School and Arts College. Opened in 1958 as a secondary technical school and became a comprehensive in 1983. It now has this academy status.
252 Elm Park Clinic
125 Compasses – restaurant and pub.
Harrow Lodge Park
Runs from Hornchurch through the northern part of Elm Park along the River Ravensbourne, a recreational centre created in 1940s on land given by Costains, the developers. The river was heavily culverted between massive concrete stepped banks which are being removed.
Swimming Baths, by Council Surveyor and D. Pearcy, Council Architect, opened in 1956; it cost £160,000
Sports Centre remodelled and privatized in the 1980s
Road entrance gates installed 1952-3
Harrow Lodge. Former farmhouse with a stuccoed front said to have been built in 1787. It was burnt badly in 1858. The first library branch for the Urban District was opened here in 1936 and closed when the library opened in Billet Lane in 1967. Converted to offices c. 1970.
20 Edelweiss, has a nice small garden
Hornchurch station opened 1st May 1885 on the Barking and Pitsea railway, in effect the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway. Trains now run between Upminster Bridge and Elm Park on the District Line London and the Tilbury and Southend Railway. In 1902 it was part of the Whitechapel & Bow Railway (in effect the Metropolitan District Railway) extension eastwards. However this service was suspended in 1905. The current station buildings were opened in 1932 when the electrified District Line was extended to Upminster. The platforms are located beneath street level and the station buildings are of 1930s design with little evidence of its Victorian origins. Trains on the line to Fenchurch Street was withdrawn at this time. In 1948 management of the station passed to British Railways and in 1969 ownership passed to London Underground.