Thames Tributary – Tributary stream to the River Roding - Beauchamp Roding
The stream rises in this area and flows east to the Roding
TL 57345 09538
Countryside area strung out along what was once a main road. Very interesting old church
Post to the north - Beauchamp Roding
Post to the east Beauchamp Roding
Post to the west - Norwood End
Post to the south - Butt Hatch
St. Botolph’s Church. It is on a site which is probably of great antiquity but can only be reached by a field track and stands on rising ground. The dedication, to the East Anglian saint and patron saint of travellers, suggests that there was a church here before the Conquest. The walls are of flint rubble and freestone and the nave has an 11th- century plan. The tower was added in the 15th when the church was enlarged. In the nave are 18th oak benches in three stages with steps which can be pulled out like drawers.
Churchyard. There is a pyramid shaped pudding stone monolith close to the church
In 1618 the most important road in the parish was, and had been for many years, the Ongar/Dunmow road. In the 18th and 19th it was used for coaches between Dunmow and London.
Slade's Farm. The name can be traced to 1542. The present building is 16th but altered.
SourcesBritish Listed Buildings. Web site
Essex County Council. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. Essex
Victoria County History of Essex