Thames Tributary Beam River - Dagenham marshes
The Beam continues to flow south towards the Thames
TQ 49112 81912
Another chunk of the Ford works and the riverside site of their now removed neon signage. Roads called after Ford models
The Beam outfall lands had belonged to Romford Canal Co and were sold to Fords in 1924.
Beam Outfall or Havering Great Sluice. This is an automatic sluice which closes at high tide. Without it the tide would back up the creek and flood.
Post to the west Dagenham Dock
Post to the east Hornchurch Marshes
Post to the south Belvedere Marshes
Post to the west Crossness Engines
This is a private road which continues Kent Avenue onto the Ford jetty. Anglia was a Ford car, made in Dagenham and launched soon after the start of the Second World War. It was made until 1967 when it was replaced by the Escort, by which time 1,594,486 had been produced.
The southern end is a private road within the Ford works
Hanson Depot and aggregate works.
Ford sidings - there was and is a 10 mile network of rail sidings around the Ford site.
Cable. A 132 kV cable crossed the Thames here with towers 148.4 metres tall. It was built between 1927 and 1932 and taken down in 1987.
Ford Wharf is the longest private wharf on the river and is the reason Ford chose the site. The jetty handles ships of 12,000 tons and was built for imported iron ore and coal. It is now a Ro-Ro operation and handles imported vehicles from Ford factories in Europe. It also handles imported goods and materials for other manufacturers.
Neon sign on the riverfront building said ‘Ford’ and was the largest neon sign in Europe.
Ford ferry. From 1933 to 2003 a ferry brought workers from south London across the river.
Flying grounds owned by the Royal Aeronautical Society from 1909 were bought for the Ford works. A shed was built there to house a large dirigible and a wooden hangar was built by West and Coe for experimental balloons. Gatherings were held there – at one of which it has been suggested that the Wright Brothers attended.
Ford Head Offices. This was behind the jetty on the riverfront. It was in an Art Deco style by Heathcote & Sons and included a hospital and a training centre.
Ford Assembly Plant buildings designed were by Heathcote and Sons, 1929-31; site work and erection by Trentham. The consisted of nine parallel two-storey ranges, 1,000ft long, of steel framing clad in brick. Although they were modified for changing methods of car production, they were surviving relics of the revolutionary Ford processes. At the east end was a power house and foundry from which the raw materials entered and went progressively through via a conveyor system until the completed vehicles were driven under their own power onto the quayside. By 1966 the riverside building was dedicated to engine manufacturing.
Ford. Web site
Grace's Guide. Web site
London Borough of Barking and Dagenham. Web site