Posts

Showing posts from August, 2014

Great Eastern Railway. Warley Hospital

Great Eastern Railway The Great Eastern Railway from Liverpool Street to Shenfield  runs north eastwards from Harold Wood Station. Post to the west Brook Street Post to the south Warley Road Post to the north Brentwood Post to the east Brentwood Warley Hill Crescent Road The road was laid out about 1859 as part of industrial expansion in the area. Kavanaghs Road Warley Hill Bowls Club . This was Warley Hospital Bowls Club which began in 1936 as part of the hospital social club. During the Second World War the green was shared with 'Silver Threads' and 'Three Score' and in 1999 they amalgamated with the main club. The membership had also increased considerably, due to members of what had been the 'Selo Ltd'  employees club who had loat their green when the site was sold. When Warley Hospital site was sold to developers in 1999, Brentwood Borough Council obtained some of the land for leisure activities and this included the bowls green and its surrounds

Great Eastern Railway to Shenfield. Harold Wood Station

The Great Eastern Railway Line from Liverpool Street to Shenfield runs north eastwards from Gidea Park Station Post to the west Gallows Corner Post to the north Harold Hill Post to the east Harold Wood Post to the south not done Arundel Road Library . Built 1967 by Essex County Council (or it might be 1959). It is very simple on a triangular site, with a shady forecourt. Athelstan Road British Legion Hall . This was originally the Harold Wood (United) Methodist church which in 1908 took over an undenominational mission hall which had been registered in 1889. In 1929 they moved to a new site. This is now the local British Legion headquarters. They have a small war memorial in the front garden Athelstan Hall . This has been a meeting place for The Brethren since 1952. Gubbins Lane An old lane overtaken by suburban sprawl.  It runs between the main A12, Colchester Road and Squirrels Heath Road. Gubbins Farm was roughly the area on which Harold Wood was built having been b

Great Eastern Railway to Shenfield. Gidea Park

Great Eastern Railway from Liverpool Street to Shenfield The railway continues from Romford Station running north eastwards to Gidea Park. Post to the north Gidea Park Post to the west Romford Post to the south Heath Park Post to the east Squirrels Heath Balgores Crescent 1-3 with Crittal Windows type curved bay 7 Quaker Meeting House.   In the 1950s the Havering Friends group were looking for new premises. A site off Balgores Crescent was bought which had been used for allotments during the war and was full of broken glass from greenhouses and cloches. It was opened in 1961. Balgores Lane Several houses in the road were built as entries in the 1911 exhibition – for example 17, 32, 33, 35, 39, 47, 49 51 Balgores House.   A grey and yellow brick house of the 1850s. Served as refreshment rooms for the exhibition and was the home of Mr. William Bose, secretary of Gidea Park Golf Club. In the Great War it provided additional accommodation for the Artists Rifles, having been

Great Eastern Railway to Shenfield Heath Park

Great Eastern Railway The Great Eastern Railway from Liverpool Street to Shenfield runs north eastwards from Romford Station. The London, Tilbury and Southend Railway line to Grays Leaves the line to the south east Post to the west Romford Post to the east Heath Park Post to the north Gidea Park Benjamin Close New housing on the site of a builders yard Brentwood Road 163-165 Kingdom Hall of Jehovah’s Witnesses . The hall is currently replaced. Francis Bardsley Academy for Girls . The first school was started, in 1906, by Francis Bardsley in the centre of Romford to provide free education for local girls. It later moved to Brentwood Road. In the 1930 it became a selective grammar school and was renamed the Romford County High School for Girls.  Until 2003 the school was based on two separate sites; the Upper School here in Brentwood Road which was (built in 1910 and the Lower School in Heath Park Road. The two sites were joined by a long road in 2003 the Lower School Site

Great Eastern Railway to Shenfield. New Romford

Great Eastern Railway from Liverpool Street to Shenfield The railway runs north eastwards from Chadwell Heath Station Post to the west Romford Post to the north Romford Post to the east Romford London Road. 17 Allen Ford .  Current Ford dealership. Charles H. Allen had taken over the business of Slipper's coach builders of North Street Romford from the mid 91th. Cottons Park . This was originally Cottons Recreational Ground named after the Cottons Estate with a 16th house until the 20th. In 1920 Romford Urban District Council negotiated the ownership of this land and it was cleared and tennis courts and a putting green were laid out using unemployed labour. There was planting and paths one of which went from the London Road, entrance to a bandstand. There were also fields for rugby, soccer and cricket and a children's playground. In the Second World War there were air-raid shelters and a decontamination centre – which later became a cafĂ©. In 2009 six sculptures commem

Great Eastern Railway to Shenfield. Whalebone Lane

Great Eastern Railway The Great Eastern Railway line from Liverpool Street to Shenfield continues eastwards Post to the west Chadwell Heath Post to the east Crowlands Coppen Road Industrial area built up since the 1920s. Capricorn Centre David Road Gateposts on the bend at what must have been the entrance to Lymington Secondary School Eric Road St.Chad’s Church Hall. With local activities like a youth club called United Origin. Freshwater Road Trading and industrial area – although the original big chemical and related factories have been replaced partly by building supplies warehouses, and smaller specialist organisations –like the Tate Gallery’s publishing house Baird and Tatlock. Buildings here built 1951-1960 Analytical chemists, scientific instrument makers and laboratory furnishers originating in Glasgow with factories in the London area. Eventually part of British Drug Houses and owned by Merck Ltd under which name the business later operated and this involved

Great Eastern Railway to Shenfield. Ilford

Great Eastern Railway – from Ilford to Shenfield The railway from Ilford station continues north westwards Post to the west Great Ilford Post to the north Seven Kings Post to the east Seven Kings Post to the south Loxford Buckingham Road Karamsar Centre. Sikh Centre in what was Ilford County Court. The court building were sold to the Sikh community in 2013 Romford and Ilford County Court . History: In the late 19th legal services provided by Romford County Court, for the Becontree Division of Essex.  In 1910 it was renamed ‘Romford and Ilford County Court’ and some sittings were held in Ilford Town Hall.  In 1937 this purpose built court was opened and designed by J.H. Markham of the Office of Works.  It is a single storey building with the Royal standard over the main door.  There is a small garden area fronting the High Road enclosed by railings with red brick piers. Cemetery.   The Ilford Burial Board, established in 1880, laid out a cemetery adjoining St.Mary's ch

Great Eastern Railway from Liverpool Street to Shenfield. Great Ilford

River Roding The Roding flows southwards and is joined by the Aldersbrook from the west Great Eastern Railway from Liverpool Street to Ilford - and on to Shenfield The Great Eastern Railway running north eastwards from Manor Park Station arrives at Ilford and onwards. Post to the north Valentines Post to the west Aldersbrook Post to the south Little Ilford Post to the east Ilford Albert Road St Alban’s Church . A brick Gothic church by J.E.K. and J.P. Cutts. The first church built for Ilford's rapidly growing suburbs between 1892 and 1912, and one of the Bishop of St Alban’s ‘London-over-the-border' churches.  It was built in 1906 to replace a temporary building.  It contains a hexagonal pulpit from 1700, given by All Souls Oxford in 1949. 52-6 Ilford Islamic Centre and Mosque .  It has been on this site since 1977. Built in red brick, with tall arches Oakfield Lodge . Built 1983 by Redbridge Architects Dept, project architect: Norman Turner.  It is a care home o