Great Eastern Railway. Warley Hospital
The Great Eastern Railway from Liverpool Street to Shenfield runs north eastwards from Harold Wood Station.
Post to the west Brook Street
Post to the north Brentwood
Post to the east Brentwood Warley Hill
The road was laid out about 1859 as part of industrial expansion in the area.
Warley Hill Bowls Club. This was Warley Hospital Bowls Club which began in 1936 as part of the hospital social club. During the Second World War the green was shared with 'Silver Threads' and 'Three Score' and in 1999 they amalgamated with the main club. The membership had also increased considerably, due to members of what had been the 'Selo Ltd' employees club who had loat their green when the site was sold. When Warley Hospital site was sold to developers in 1999, Brentwood Borough Council obtained some of the land for leisure activities and this included the bowls green and its surrounds
Warley Hospital. This was set up under The County Asylums Act and the Lunacy Act, 1845, by the County of Essex. In 1847, 86 acres of the Brentwood Hall Estate, were purchased from William Kavanagh and the foundation stone was laid in 1851 as the Essex County Lunatic Asylum serving the whole county. The original red brick buildings, accommodating up to 500 people, were designed by H. E. Kendall in the ‘medieval Tudor’ style. It opened in 1853 and was enclosed by a 10 ft brick wall sunk into a ha-ha. Outside the wall were a farm and kitchen garden. In the following years numerous additional blocks and extensions were put in place. In 1920 it was renamed the Brentwood Mental Hospital. In July 1948 it joined the NHS under the control of the Warley Hospital Management Committee and in 1953, when the Hospital celebrated its centenary, it was renamed Warley Hospital. It finally closed in 2001. The original buildings were listed by English Heritage and it has been converted into a gated redevelopment by City and Country known as 'The Galleries'.
The Entrance Building. This was the east front. There was a reception room, a visitors' room, a committee room, and rooms and residences for senior staff. The entrance hall and arcade were paved with Mintons tiles.
The Chapel. This was at the centre of the west front but soon proved too small. It was used as a library and later converted into a dormitory
Wards. In one wing there were nine male wards including two infirmaries and in the other wing there were seven wards for women, one of which was an infirmary.
Galleries – these divided the wards while dormitories and other rooms opened off them. They were built of fire-proof bricks and they were connected by roofed walkways paved with Staffordshire tiles,
The Kitchen had a large cellar, its own courtyard, storerooms, bake house etc. It was replaced in 1910 and the old kitchen, became a needle room. .
Other facilities included workshops for tailoring, shoe-making, etc and a brew house. There was a mortuary and a laundry. The asylum had gas lighting a sort of central heating system.
Recreation Hall. This was built in 1879 on the site of the central courtyard,
New chapel. This was built in 1889. This is listed and is now flats
Nurses' Home. This was built in 1900 and renewed in 1930
Garden Villa. This was built in 1944 beside Brentwood Hall
Rose Villa. This block for female convalescents was built to the west of the central kitchen.
Centenary Hall. This opened for the centenary of the hospital and acted as a social centre. In 1957 it had a wide-screen cinema
Duchess of Kent Social Centre built in 1960 with a hospital shop, a tea lounge for patients and their visitors, a library and the Social Therapy Department. The Nightingale Centre is located in the former Duchess of Kent Social Centre building and provides meeting rooms, hall space and other facilities. It includes The Snap Centre – Special Needs and Parents.
Roman Catholic chapel opened in 1962. It was dedicated to St Dymphna, patron saint for the mentally ill.
Beechwood Surgery. Opened in October 2006
Filter bed system. This was built in 1854 to deal with chronic sewage problems.
Vaughan Williams Way
Brentwood Hall. This was purchased for extensions to the asylum. It was demolished in the early 1930s as unsafe. In 1936 a new Brentwood Hall opened on the site with a Occupational Therapy Department on the ground floor
Holly Trees Primary School. The school moved to these new buildings in 1999. They had previously been at a site in Crescent Road
Clements Wood Farm. There is a now a new house on this site
Warley Country Park
Land around the former hospital site. The open space, which has been developed on former hospital farmland, includes areas of naturally colonising secondary woodland, hedgerows, a stream and a pond.
Water Tower Road
The Water Tower. This had a tank which held 10,000 gallons of water pumped by a 7 h.p. non-condensing engine from a reservoir - two more reservoirs were added later. It is now listed and has been converted into The Tower, a private house
Brentwood Council. Web site
Derelict Places. Web site
Holly Trees Primary School. Web site
Lost Hospitals of London. Web site
SNAP. Web site
Warley Hill Bowls Club. Web site
Warley Hospital. Wikipedia. Web site