Great Eastern Railway to Shenfield. Whalebone Lane
The Great Eastern Railway line from Liverpool Street to Shenfield continues eastwards
Post to the west Chadwell Heath
Post to the east Crowlands
Industrial area built up since the 1920s.
Gateposts on the bend at what must have been the entrance to Lymington Secondary School
St.Chad’s Church Hall. With local activities like a youth club called United Origin.
Trading and industrial area – although the original big chemical and related factories have been replaced partly by building supplies warehouses, and smaller specialist organisations –like the Tate Gallery’s publishing house
Baird and Tatlock. Buildings here built 1951-1960 Analytical chemists, scientific instrument makers and laboratory furnishers originating in Glasgow with factories in the London area. Eventually part of British Drug Houses and owned by Merck Ltd under which name the business later operated and this involved the storage and packaging of various chemicals. The buildings were demolished between 1995 and 1999
Hoo Hing. Chinese food supplier in a building from 1999 on part of what was the Baird and Tatlock site
41-51 Nichols and Clarke. Building supplies. Founded in 1875 in London, they claim to be the largest privately owned national manufacturer and distributor of building products.
Kemp Road Industrial Park an estate of small industrial units on the site of what was Barton Bakery.
23 Concord House. Harmony Christian Centre
Kingdom Power Bible Church International
Vacant and made up of grassland. The west part of the site was originally part of now demolished Barking Technical College and associated playing fields (in an adjacent square)..
Gravel Pit. The eastern part of the site was formerly a gravel pit and landfill from the 1960’s. A siding ran into this from the railway
West Ham United Football Club training ground
Intensive industrial area with many light and less light industries. Very little information about any of them.
Dairy Crest Depot. This is the liquid foods department of this national dairy brand. State of the art dairy processes 400 million litres of milk a year
The Redeemed Christian Church of God Fountain of Living Water. This is in Ronac House, brick built factory unit owned by Ronacrete, concrete company. The building is on the line of the siding from the Great Eastern Railway to the now defunct gravel pit to the south.
Selinas Lane Islamic Centre. VW House. Previously in use as a motor sales centre.
St Chad's Road.
St Chad‘s church. This was originally founded as a chapel-of-ease to St Peter and St Paul, in Dagenham. It was built 1895-8 by Frederic Chancellor in red brick. It has an embattled clock tower, added in 1897-8 to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee.
The Whalebones themselves were in the High Road north of this area/
Whalebone Bridge over the Great Eastern Railway.
Triptons Service Station. Triptons was the name of a farm on this site
Whalebone Farm was opposite the entrance to Selinas Lane. It was also called Butlers Farm
London Borough of Barking and Dagenham. Web site
Nature conservation in Barking and Dagenham.
St.Chad’s Web site
Victoria County History. Essex