Friday, 29 April 2016

Riverside, south bank, west of the Tower. Barnes St Paul's School

Riverside, south bank, west of the Tower. Barnes St Paul's School

This posting covers the south side of the river in this square only – basically a small area at the northern end of Castlenau which covers only Hammersmith Bridge and the playing fields of St.Paul’s school. North of the river is Hammersmith Riverside

Post to the south Castelnau
Post to the west Chiswick riverside to Bedford Park
Post to the east Central Hammersmith

Hammersmith Bridge
Hammersmith Bridge. This is a suspension bridge built in 1887 to the designs of Joseph Bazalgette. It replaced an earlier suspension bridge erected in 1827, and which was the first to be constructed in London on that principle. That bridge was designed by Tierney Clarke with a roadway which was sixteen feet above high-water mark suspended by eight wrought iron chains arranged in four double lines. It was a toll bridge and there were octagonal toll-houses. However it was only twenty feet wide and not strong enough to take the traffic which was using it.
The current bridge is also very narrow with elaborate designs on the ironwork.  It is built on foundations of Tierney Clark's bridge. It was built by Dixon, Appleby & Thorne to Bazalgette’s designs and opened by the Prince of Wales in 1887. At both ends there is elaborate ironwork including a motif up of seven coats of arms of the adjacent local authorities, the Riyal Arms and so on. The bridge has however long suffered structural problems and been closed for long periods. In 1973 it was given new steel trusses, new deck timbers and a number of other strengthening measures. There have however been subsequent failings. There is a plaque on the handrail of the bridge to Charles Campbell Wood who saved a drowning woman here.

Riverside Walk
The walk continues around the tip of the Peninsula past the school playing fields

St.Paul’s School
This square covers only part of the school premises – the northern area which includes the main block and some of the playing fields.
St Paul's School is an independent boys’ school, located here. Since 1881 it has its own preparatory school, Colet Court, which has also been here since 1968. St Paul's is thought to be one of the leading schools in the country. The school was founded by John Colet, Dean of St Paul’s Cathedral in 1509. He used his whole fortune to endow the school, making it the largest school in England and left it to be managed by the Worshipful Company of Mercers. He was advised in his planning by Erasmus, who wrote textbooks for the school’s use and assisted in the recruiting of staff. There were to be 153 scholars “of all countres and nacions indifferently”.  The first building was alongside St Paul’s Cathedral and was burnt down in 1666. The school has since moved four times before settling at the present riverside site in 1968.  It had previously been in Hammersmith in buildings by Waterhouse used as army headquarters during the Second World War. At Barnes the land had previously been the used for reservoirs which were filled in, apparently with earth excavated for the Victoria line. The new school buildings were constructed on the CLASP system for lightness on this made up ground.  The sports pitches took a long time to settle and competitive matches were not played regularly here until 1979. The school us   primarily a day school although there are some boarders and it was purely a boarding school during the Second World War.  The 1968 buildings include a swimming pool and sports facilities which include a fencing salle, six rugby fives courts, three squash courts and a racquets court as well as a boathouse and the more usual sports facilities. There is no school hall. The music department building for Colet Court is an old water hoard building. There are plans for rebuilding the entire school.
John Colet Memorial. Bronze group of Dean Colet and two kneeling scholars by Hamo Thomycroft, beneath an open bronze canopy, 1902.  Brought from the school's former home in West Kensington.

West Middlesex Water Works. The company's installations covered most of this site before the school was built here.  The School buildings appear to rest on the site of six filter beds plus a reservoir on the east side, west of Castlenau

GLC. Thames Guidelines,
Pevsner and Cherry. South London
Port of London Magazine
St.Paul’s School. Web site

Riverside. South bank West of the Tower. Harrods Village

Riverside. South bank West of the Tower.  Harrods Village

This post shows sites to the south of the river only. North of the river is Fulham Palace Road and riverside

Post to the south Barn Elms and Fulham Bishops Park
Post to the west Castelnau
Post to the north Central Hammersmith

London Wet Land Centre
Water works. The site of the Wet Land Centre was previously that of the West Middlesex Waterworks Co who opened this site in 1838 as an extension of their works across the river in Hammersmith.  The reservoirs being filled by the Thames at high tide by gravity and water then being pumped across the river to Hammersmith. This north east corner of the site appears to have been covered by half of a reservoir and a number of filter bed added in the 1890s. These were drained and covered in the early 1970s
 London Wetland Centre, This reserve is managed by the Wildfowl and Wetland Trust. The site is formed of four disused 19th reservoirs. The centre opened in 2000, and in 2002 part was designated a Site of Special Scientific Interest as the Barn Elms Wetland Centre. The area of the centre covered by the square is that in the north east corner adjacent to the river. This appears to be the Reservoir Lagoon, Grazing Marsh and Waderscope

Riverside Tow Path, South Bank
Hammersmith Bridge Works - Cowan’s soap and candle factory, sugar refinery and animal charcoal works. The sugar refinery using beet rather than cane. These were on the site later used by Harrods. They were built by Lewis Cowan in 1857. It closed in 1892
Charles Harrod Court is the converted soap factory
Richard Burbidge Mansions is the converted candle factory. He was the managing director of Harrods when they opened the depository here. He lived in Barnes,
Harrods Depository. At the end of the 19th century, Harrods, decided to open a depository where people could store furniture and possessions - particularly for those going abroad. They bought the site in 1893 and it opened with a grand carnival in aid of Holy Trinity Church. It has Distinctive domes on its roof. There were three long blocks and one ground floor room where twelve cast-iron columns are all slightly different. In the other half of the block cast-iron sheets have been inserted to replace and increase the number of original floors. Containers were lifted and stored here. There is an early 'container' in the grounds, and a huge exterior furniture lift on the riverside block. There was also a gas storage area. The main building is said to have incorporated material from the old Piccadilly tube station – and the terracotta frontage was added in o1913 intended to harmonise with Harrods’ Knightsbridge store. The frontage was designed by William George Hunt, and the building which is now flats is named after him. It was converted to housing in 2000 as gated Harrods Village
Harrods Wharf with a narrow gauge railway leading to the front block.

Riverview Gardens
They are on the sitter of Cowan’s Bank or Cowan’s Field where an annual Boat Race Fair took place

GLC Thames Guidelines
GLIAS Newsletter
History of Metropolitan Water Board
London Wetlands Centre. Web site
Riverview Gardens Web site

Thursday, 28 April 2016

Riverside - south of the river, west of the Tower. Putney Boathouses

Riverside - south of the river, west of the Tower.  Putney Boathouses

Post to the north Barn Elms and Fulham Bishops Park
Post to the east Putney High Street and Fulham Riverside
Post to the west Barnes Common

Balmuir Gardens
Putney Lawn Tennis Club. The club was established in 1879 for Lawn Tennis and Archery and originally met near to Putney High Street. It claims to be the second oldest such club in the world. Originally all members were issued with shares.

Barn Elms Park
This is a landscaped path between Horne Way at the river and Lower Richmond Road. It has been laid out like this since at least the 1870s and follows the route of the back entrance to Barnes Manor House. It is lined with plane trees including one of the largest in the country

Burston Road
4 Royal Mail. Delivery and sorting office

Charlwood Road
Hotham Primary school Keepers House
Rail Bridge. Built for the London to Richmond Railway in 1845
22 The Quill. Closed and the site redeveloped with flats. This is the site of the farm and market gardens of the Charlwood family.

Chelverton Road
Putney Bus Garage.  This was originally a horse bus garage built in 1888 for LGOC. It was the last garage to operate a whole fleet of solid tyred buses which were eventually replaced in 1935. It was the first garage to operate RTs starting with RT 1 in 1939. It was rebuilt in 19376 with a new office and canteen block and a new entrance to take bigger buses. It was renamed Putney Garage in 1963. Still in use.
4 Chinese Restaurant in what was Putney and Wimbledon Affiliated Synagogue. This dated from 1956 and was closed, after 1970 and had an Ashkenazi Orthodox ritual. It was an affiliated synagogue of the United Synagogue from 1956.

Clarendon Drive
1 Our Lady of Victories Roman Catholic Primary School. This is in two converted houses plus a modern extension
Eileen Lecky Clinic. This was founded as the Putney Branch of the Mothers' Welcome, but was renamed the Putney Infant Welfare Centre by 1922 and was based Felsham Road. In 1931 they moved here and it was called the Children’s' Health Centre. In the Second World War, the buildings were used as a gas decontamination and first aid post. At the end of the War, the Health Centre re-opened here. It became part of the National Health Service in 1948 and in 1958 the Health Centre was handed over to London County Council and then back to Wandsworth Council in 1965. It was later named in memory of the long standing secretary, Eileen Lecky.
Putney Animal Hospital. This is run by the RSPCA
69a-70a This was the site of the entrance to Putney Velodrome. In 1888 John Davis, a local builder, leased land in west Putney to build the first concrete cycling track in England. It opened in 1891, for national and international competition and for 15 years was venue for cycling races and athletic meetings as well as being used by for school sports days. It also had 12 tennis courts, a bowling green and a quoits pitch. The cycle track ran from what is now 1 Landford Road, into Earldom Road then into Hotham Road. There was also a grandstand. The lease ran out in 1905 and the land was used then for building
Putney Labourers’ Cottages. There is a plaque saying that they are “Erected on land belonging to the Pest House Charity AD 1862"
Pest House Charity. Putney's Pest Houses dated from the 17th and were on this site until demolished and replaced with these houses.
Cricketers Pub. This stood on the corner with Lower Richmond Road. It is now called Sadlers House and has been converted to flats. The pub used to stand in an open forecourt now enclosed and some perimeter trees remain.

Dryborough Road
Dryborough Hall and Baths. Designed by Powell & Moya and opened in 1968, Informal buildings of different heights around older trees. Pool, Leisure Centre and Community Centre

The Embankment as it is now was built by J. C. Radford, the parish surveyor, in 1887-8. He laid out the slipway and the riverside path. It was laid out as a recreational area related to the Thames and focused on the rowing clubs. Residential development was inserted. It had previously been a strip of foreshore, backed by common pasture and the grounds of large houses. It was used by the local watermen until a towpath was created in the 18th .It has been a location for pubs from the Middle Ages and for commercial boatmen and boat builders from the 17th. From the 1830s it became a focal point for rowing.
Slipway with granite setts running down to the river from the area opposite the Putney Bridge Restaurant.
Stone bollard on the Embankment marked 'UBR' or University Boat Race. This marks the starting point of the race
Cast iron bollards, There are five opposite the slipway from the late 19th painted in Putney blue.
Chas.Newens Marine. This was Ayling's boat builder’s yard. It has two storeys with a first floor balcony, originally timber.  It is a key building in the history of rowing. A plaster advertising panel can still be seen on the side which advertised the E. Ayling and Sons, oar and scull manufacturers and boat builders. Ayling specialised in oars and had invented and developed several specialist varieties.
Cast iron bollards at either end of Spring Passage which e date from the period of slipway construction of the 1890s
Kings College School Boathouse. This is the school in Wimbledon who bought the boathouse in 1993. This includes, on Sundays, the Boathouse Church. The site was previously that of the Leander Boathouse.
HSBC Boat house. This was built 1955
Dulwich College Rowing Club. Encouraged and sponsored since 1991 by Thames Rowing Club, but now independent.
Crabtree Boat Club. The club is for the alumni of Cambridge University Boat Club. The core members are blues and Goldie members
Ranelagh Sailing Club. Modern building around an older core for a club was founded in 1889. It was previously called the Unity Boathouse. There had been sailing activities around Ranelagh Gardens throughout the early 19th which had lapsed. In 1889, eight sailing men met at the Star and Garter hotel, and resolved to form the Ranelagh Sailing Club. They acquired the club house and members of the Ranelagh Yacht Club joined them along with members of the 2nd South Middlesex Rifle Volunteers, which was commanded by the 7th Viscount Ranelagh. The Club has consistently encouraged dinghy sailing mad was early affiliated to the Royal Yachting Association. Members of the Club were closely involved with the development of the Merlin Rocket and National Twelve dinghies and has provided many leading helmsmen.
Westminster School Boat House.  The original building has had new doors and a side extension but is otherwise original. It has the name 'J. H. Clasper' picked out in red brick on the gable end.
Harry Clasper. Harry Clasper came from the north east and began to build boats. Having lost a race to Thames Watermen they designed a new style of boats. His eldest child was Jack who coxed at Henley Cat the age of 13 and moved to London. In 1846 he had a boat yard in Durham and one in Putney by 1868. He perfected a sliding seat and made many other design breakthroughs.
Vesta Rowing Club. This dates from 1890. The building is in brick with decorative arches and banding. The Club was founded in 1870. It is said that at the inaugural meeting it was decided to name the club after the first boat to pass under London Bridge which was steam tug Vesta. The club lost many members during the Great War, but recovered. In 1936 a fire at the clubhouse destroyed many of its records and destroyed 30 boats. During the Second World War the London Fire Brigade requisitioned the clubhouse. After the war, eventually, in 1994 women were allowed to become full members.
London Rowing Club. This was the first of the rowing clubs on this stretch and dated from 1856. The club had been inaugurated at the Craven Hotel in the Strand.  It was based at the Star and Garter until its present boathouse was built in 1871. The boathouse is in brick with tall chimneys but the original ornate balcony has been replaced with a simpler structure. It still has its original iron balustrade on the parapet roof. It was enlarged before 1906. Some original iron bollards in the forecourt of the London Rowing Club that used to mark the former boundary line of the boathouse
Fairfax Mews
This is on the site of the Atlas Building Works. This was the works of a Mr. Aries who died in 1903. The firm undertook some large scale developments.
Felsham Road
This was previously Gardners Road and Worple Road.
22 The Platt Christian Centre. Includes a number of social work and arts activities and organisations.
St. Mary's Church of England School. This was dates from 1819 although the main building here dates from 1867. The school lost some features to Second World War bombing and some contemporary looking railings have been added recently
St.Mary’s Recreation Club. Mainly frequented by river workers’ family
38 Palladium Autocar Works. Moved here from Kensington in 1919. Specialising in the Palladium chassis.  At Putney they made a cycle car powered by an air cooled engine. In 1922 they introduced a light tourer which was one of the first cars fitted with front wheel brakes. The site was taken over by Gordon England, Ltd., in 1925 and they made the Brooklands Model Austin Seven there. The site appears to have continued with manufacturers of motor parts
51 Sivananda Yoga Centre. At the end of the 1960’s the time seemed right to start a Yoga Centre in London and Swami Vishnudevananda trained yoga students who started the first official Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centre in Earls Court. The Centre moved several times and in 1990 moved to Putney. The Centre has further expanded as two neighbouring properties and the gardens of the three properties were joined together and a Peace Garden was created.
53-55 Princeton Court. Built in the 1980s on the site of the earlier Imperial Works. This was the factory of Johnson Baker Co. Who made shop fronts and fittings.

Gwendolen Avenue
Putney Methodist Church. Built 1881. The wall has railings and tall brick piers with gabled caps which were replaced in 1995 following war damage. There is also an old burial ground, set back from the street with stone tablets acting
2 Methodist Church Hall – this is now Lion House School, a private nursery.
26 plaque to Dr Edward Benes 1884-1948 which says ‘President of Czechoslovakia, lived here’.

Hotham Road
Hotham Primary School. Hotham Road School opened in 1909, managed by the London County Council. In 1948 the name was changed to Hotham School, and then, as now, to Hotham Primary School. It is managed by the London Borough of Wandsworth. In 1910 the Putney Evening School was established in the building and was later known as Putney Evening Institute, and Hotham Adult Education Centre. When the Inner London Education Authority was dissolved in 1990, adult education ended here.
Hotham Hall. This was previously known as St.Mary’s Hall and was a venue for concerts and events. It is now housing.

Howards Lane
Atlas Terrace. Housing associated with the Atlas Building Works which stood to the north of their site.

Lacy Road
8 Coat and Badge Pub. Dates from the 1880s. The name relates to the Dogget's Coat and Badge Boat Race.
63 The Jolly Gardeners. Dates from the mid 1870s.

Landford Road
1-5 The finishing line of the Velodrome was here.

Lower Common
All Saints Church The church was built 1873-74 on land donated by Earl Spence, and the foundation stone was laid by Princess Christian of Schleswig Holstein. It was designed by William Morris and Edward Burne Jones in collaboration with George Street and it has the most extensive glazing scheme by Morris and Co. of any London church six are by Morris and the rest by Burne-Jones. The church was subject to an arson attack in 1993 and following this there some major alterations.
Putney Hospital. In 1900 a local resident, Henry Chester left £75,000 to endow a general hospital for the area.  A freehold site was donated by Sir William Lancaster not to be used for anything other than a hospital for the people of Putney.  It had previously been the site of The Elms and West Lodge. Richmond, Chelsea and Wandsworth Division of the British Medical Association objected to the building of a large hospital in Putney arguing that a small cottage hospital would was all that was needed, and that there should be no out-patients and that doctors should be on the management committee. It was eventually agreed to include an Out-Patients Department. The Putney Hospital (Chester Bequest) finally opened in 1912 with 53 beds. Patients with mental illness, incurable conditions, smallpox or other infectious diseases were excluded. During the Great War the Hospital did work for Gifford House in Roehampton.  After 1926 Two wings a new operating theatre was installed and a mortuary chapel was built. In 1934 a Nurses' Home was built. In the Second World War the Hospital joined the Emergency Medical Service In 1940 the chapel was demolished in bombing and in 1944 a flying bomb hit the Nurses' Home. In 1948 the Hospital joined the NHS and by 1953 it had 106 beds. It ceased to be an acute hospital in 1980 and re-opened in 1982 for rehabilitation and convalescent patients.  By 1986 it was a geriatric hospital with some GP beds. It finally closed in 1999. The Hospital buildings most of the equipment remained in situ from the day of closure.  In 2012 Wandsworth Borough Council purchased the site. The Hospital has been demolished and building work began in 2014 on the Putney Oasis Academy, a new primary school, at the southern end of the site. Flats will be built on the northern part.

Lower Richmond Road
Kenilworth Court. This is a large block of flats facing the river built to the designs of R. C. Overton in 1902-4. There is elaborate decoration including the entrance porches with ornate door cases, stained glass fanlights and an ornate 'Kenilworth Court' name panel on each block. The central courtyard originally included tennis courts, and is now a communal lawn. The main entrance to the courtyard has two substantial brick piers (one including a Royal Mail post box) supporting an Art Nouveau name arch with two lanterns.
Star and Garter Mansions. This is another large block of flats designed by W. R. Williams and built in 1899-1900. It is in red brick and stone with a central dome on the roof. There is a great deal of decoration including ironwork brackets, balustrades and architraves, and floral motifs around oval windows. The basement originally incorporated a boat house, coach house, a billiard room, and a bicycle store. Two roof domes at the eastern end of two roof domes at the eastern end of the building were lost to bomb damage in the Second World War and were not replaced.
4 Star and Garter Hotel. This pub is part of the Mansions. It has a ballroom, a basement and a walk in cheese room.
Restaurant development next to the Star and Garter. This was designed by Paskin Kiriakides Sands in 1996-7
Sculpture 'Load'. This was the first Alan Thornhill sculpture located in Putney in the late 1980s. It is part of the Putney Sculpture Trail
Winchester House Club. Winchester House is used by Putney Constitutional Club which dates from 1892.  The oldest part of the building is around 1730 and is one of the oldest buildings in Putney. The house is set in walled grounds and appears secluded despite having an open elevation and a rear garden bordering the Embankment. There is a high brick wall running the remaining grounds which is in several different sections, and indicates the gradual loss of land over the years.
Richmond Mansions. This block of flats was built in 1889
University Mansions, this block of flats once included shops on the ground floor. It was built in 1900 to the designs of Palgrave and Company. There is an ornate entrance with a pediment which carries the date of construction in Art Nouveau lettering.
Granite setts on the pavement between Winchester House and the Duke's Head
Platt Estate.  Flats built by Diamond, Redfem & Partners, 1964-5.
8 Dukes Head Pub. This is a grand corner public house facing one end of the Star and Garter and with three street elevations. It dates from 1899-1900 and has stuccoed facades, tall chimneys and twin-arched entrance, large brass lamps hang above the pavement at ground floor level. Inside is original timber work, and ornate frosted and etched glass. The building originally incorporated boat shed, and there was a skittle alley in the basement, now covered over. The boat shed was used by Putney Town Rowing Club from the 1920s to 1986.
16 Political Cartoon Gallery
93 Half Moon. This is a music pub which has hosted live music every night since 1963. It all began with folk and blues sessions 'Folksville’, later anyone who was anyone in the emerging blues scene played here. There were also residencies and later comedy acts.
Lodge to Barn Elms Park
237 Spencer Pub. Previously called the Spencer Arms

Norroy Road
109 Norroy Hall. Norroy Hall now in use as a nursery

Nursery Close
On the site of a plant nursery

Quill Lane
This may represent an early route from the Upper Richmond Road to Putney Bridge and ferry.

Ravenna Road
Union Church. Built in 1860 by Samuel Morton Peto and originally Congregational. The church declined in the mid 20th and the congregation became part of the United Reformed Church. The building is now Putney Arts Theatre.
Putney Arts Theatre. In 1959 Maurice Copus, a teacher at Southfields School founded an after-school theatre club. A lease was obtained on the Union Church building and performances began in 1968. In the 1970s a studio weans added and in the early 1990s it expanded and was again refurbished. Following a legacy it became possible to buy the freehold.

Ruvigny Gardens
Ruvigny Gardens was developed as a residential street and laid out in 1880 on land previously part of the grounds of Winchester House.  Houses were built 1883-4 by James Childs of Stoke Newington. Ruvigny Mansions designed by Palgrave and Co
Red brick gate piers support an ornate iron gate as part of the boundary treatment of Winchester House. Thus it was probably built in the 1880s when the street was developed
The Garage and workshop in the north-western corner has now been converted into an office.

Spring Passage
There is an expanse of historic stone paving along the length of Spring Passage and three iron bollards at the junction with The Embankment.

Upper Richmond Road
This is the South Circular Road.
165-167 Fox and Hounds. Has also been known as the Fox, and also the Coach and Eight.
169-171 Globe Kinema.  This was operated by Putney Electric Cinema from around 1910. In 1929 it was re-named the Globe Kinema the operated by R.T. Davies. He closed it in 1968 and it was bought the Compton Cinemas Group opening as the CineCenta Cinema in with art house films. It later became a club and shoed uncensored films and membership. It went back to being the CineCenta Cinema in 1971 and closed in 1976 and demolished soon after.
202 Railway Pub. This is now part of the Wetherspoon chain. It was the Railway Hotel build in 1886.  For a while it was known as Drummonds.
289 The Arab Boy, Built in 1849, this pub was left by its builder, Henry Scarth, to Yussef Sirric, the Arab servant he had brought back from Turkey. Originally a Watney pub, it was run by the Magic Pub Co and then Greene King in 1996
Police Station. This is now flats.
Putney Old Burial Ground. This was opened in 1763 on land donated by Rev. Roger Pettiward. It closed to burials in 1854 and it was then maintained by the Putney Burial Board. There are a number of interesting tombs.  A small brick built mortuary remains on the site adjacent to Upper Richmond Road. It was made into a garden and opened to the public in 1886 but the tombstones were not moved. In 2008 Wandsworth Council restored several 18th tombs

Waterman Street
This was previously River Street
32 Bricklayers Pub. This two-storey public house as the only survivor of old River Street. Stone steps to the former doorways can still be seen, and the join between the tiles on the front facade where the wall has been continued. The now single entrance is central in this facade,

Aim. Web site
Aldous. Village London
Behind Blue Plaques
Cinema Treasures. Web site
Clunn. The Face of London
Crab Tree Boat Club.  Web site
Dulwich College. Web site
Field. Place names,
Glazier. London Transport Garages
GLC. Thames Guideline
Kings College School. Web site
Knowles. Surrey and the Motor
London Borough of Wandsworth. Web site
London Encyclopaedia
London Transport. Country walks-3
Lost Hospitals of London. Web site
Nairn Modern Buildings
Parks and Gardens. Web site
Penguin Surrey
Pevsner and Cherry. South London
Putney Tennis Club. Web site
Ranelagh Sailing Club. Web site
Wandsworth History Journal

Saturday, 23 April 2016

Riverside, south bank west of the Tower. Putney High Street

Riverside, south bank west of the Tower. Putney High Street

This post shows sites south of the river only. North of the river is Fulham riverside

Post to the east Wandsworth
Post to the west Putney Boathouses
Post to the south East Putney

Brandlehow Road
Brandlehow Primary School. A progressive period building piece of 1951 by E. Gold finger with an extension of 2006 by Franzika Wagner. A listed caretaker’s cottage was demolished illegally by developers. This building replaced a London School Board school of 1901 which had been bombed.

Brewhouse Lane
The main landing place for ferry passengers was at the northern end of the lane which thus provided one of the principal routes into the village.
Brewhouse.   Martin the Brewer is recorded as the third-largest taxpayer in 1332, He is thought to have had a brewhouse to the east of the lane. This is thought to have still existed in the 18th
Boathouse Pub and Riverview Restaurant. Young’s Pub. The Boathouse replaces the Castle which was on the corner with Putney Bridge Road. The Boathouse building was formerly Douglas Wharf, premises of William Douglas & Sons (refrigeration machinery). It was actually three wharf side buldings, probably 1860s-1870s, with a railway line at the rear running to a timber yard. A crane remains as a decorative item.
Sculpture. Punch and Judy by Alan Thornhill
Rocket. Wetherspoon’s Pub built into the Putney Wharf Tower.
Blue Plaque to the birthplace of Thomas Cromwell, Henry VIII’s minister, thought to have been born in this area.
Gothic Villa. This replaced a 15th building called Church House.  In 1828 John Young rebuilt it naming it Gothic Villa.
Putney Wharf Tower. This was built in the 1960s for International Computers Ltd. It was reclad in 2003 and redeveloped as flats. ICL - by then ICT moved to Bracknell in the 1980s

Church Square
War memorial re-located here.

Deodar Road
The road was previously called Ranelagh Road
The eastern arm of this U shaped road runs down the line of the old parish boundary, which itself follows a small stream called the Putney Gutter.
The northern side of the road is housing which backs on to the river. These are on a site developed in 1753 by Joshua Vanneck with a large house called The Cedars which from 1839 was the Putney College for Civil Engineers. In 1853 this was replaced by posh terraced housing. They were replaced in the 1890s with the present middle class detached and semi detached housing.
Rail bridge with decorative abutments built 1887-9. The London and South West Railway extension to Wimbledon was built from 1887.  The railway company were required, as an amenity, to provide the footpath that runs along the east side of the bridge via a stone Stair case from the road.
57 St.Mary’s Vicarage
Riverdale. Built around 1857-8. In the 1920s used by the Hoyt Metal Company.  It is now flats.
Hoyt Metal Co. This foundry specialised in white metal alloys used for smooth bearing linings, in ship axle bearings, also, for instance, helicopter rotor spindle bearings. They also made testing equipment and instruments. The works was at the back of Riverdale which was their office block.

Disraeli Road
57 Library. The old library was built in 1899, and the architect was Francis Smith.  It was paid for by George Newnes and the balcony has an inscription saying "NEWNES PUBLIC LIBRARY". Putney’s first public library opened in 1887 further along Disraeli Road. In 1898 the commissioners were offered a donation of £8000 by newspaper editor and MP George Newnes. The new library it had separate ladies’ and gentlemen’s reading rooms and a flat for the librarian on the top floor. In the Second World War the basement was used as a civil defence post and steel girders fitted to protect the room are still visible, as is ventilation equipment. The entrance doors lead to a long corridor with vaulted domed plaster roof, this leads to what was originally the reading room which is now part of the main library. In 1977 an extension was built to house a Children’s Library and Music Library and in 1986 Wandsworth Museum opened in the old committee rooms and the upper floors. In 1996 the Museum moved and the 1977 extension was demolished and a new extension built. This is now the public part of the library so that most of the original library is used for offices and storage. It has a simple modern design using stone and large glass walls.
Leonine Picture Gallery. Has been used in the past by a garage company and as a workshop
Rail Bridge. The District Line passes over in a distinctive metal box bridge.

Steps down to what were public toilets, now closed
Watermans Green -green space adjacent to the river
The flank wall fronting Waterman's Green  hides vaults under the road that connect with 4-6 High Street.
Iron lamp standards. These have replacement lanterns but the original bases remain.

Esmond Road
Rail Bridge. The District Line passes over in a distinctive metal box bridge.

Felsham Road
Hippodrome. This opened in 1906 as variety theatre, designed by W Hingston. It showed films from 1924 and was taken over by United Picture Theatres in 1928, becoming Gaumont British Cinemas in 1930. Associated British Cinemas took over in 1935 and then an independent in 1938. It closed in1940 and was taken over by Odeon Theatres who re-opened it on 1941. It closed in 1961 and remained unused for ten years. It was used as a film location during the 1970s. It was demolished in 1975 and flats have now replaced it

Lacy Road
This was previously called Coopers Arms Lane

Lower Richmond Road

Cast iron street name showing 'Lower Richmond Road, S. W.' on the flanking wall of the bridge.

Kenilworth Court. seven blocks of mansion flats of five and six storyes plus basements.

Oxford Road
Putney School of Art. This was founded by Sir William Lancaster, Baron Pollock and Sir Arthur Jeff in 1883.

Putney Bridge Road,
Was called Love Lane or Wandsworth Lane
120 Church Hall. This was on the corner with Deodar Road. In the 1980 it became a small private TV studio, Lotus Studios. Later it was the London Theatre School specialising in dance. Later registered office for Hurlingham School
122 Hurlingham School. This small private school dates back to 1947, when it was known as “Miss Rosemary Whitehead’s Kindergarten class”: It began in Fulham High Street and Deodar Road and is now run by the Goulden family.
St Stephens Mission church. This was on the  corner with Fawe P Park Road. It had been set up by. Saint Stephen's Church, Manfred Road, Wandsworth. It included a church hall.
Sir Abraham Dawes Almshouses. Dawes was a collector of customs who lived in Putney from 1620 until his death in 1640. He provided almshouses for '12 poor indigent decayed and decrepit almsmen and almswomen'. They were replaced by the present buildings in 1861. They are still in use.
289 Park Lodge. This house is dated at late 17th or early 18th.  Lewis Carroll said to have stayed there. The oldest part of the house is a timber and brick building constructed in red and brown brick using an interesting mix of bonds that includes Flemish and English Cross. It has been painted. The building looks mid 19th century with Tudor arched heads to the windows.
Putney Baths. These opened 1886 as a privately owned facility.  William Bishop had leased a plot previously the site of Cromwell House thought to have been the home of Cromwell. Bishop was a shareholder in the Wandsworth Lime and Cement Company Ltd. He built baths on the corner with Burstock Road, designed by Lee Bros which opened in 1886. The front elevation included shops on either side. The main entrance led to rooms used for art classes and evening events. It was called Cromwell Hall. There were private baths on the first floor with hot and cold running water and separate entrances for ladies and gentlemen. There was a large swimming bath open on Ladies’ Days and Gentlemens’ Days. There were 67 changing rooms and a spectator’s gallery as well as a cafe, Turkish baths and a Shampooing Room. However the baths were permanently floored over and the area was used for concerts and events. Later the building became a furniture depository, and then a linen draper’s warehouse. After the Second World War it became was a Polish University College and In 1955 Battersea Polytechnic used it as their Mechanical Engineering Department. It was demolished around 1990.
Railway Arches. Used as a trading estate
Watermen’s Schools. Southfield House. This was a school for the children of watermen founded in 1684 by Thomas Martyn, after he was rescued from drowning in the river. It was demolished to make way for the railway in 1887. The school moved to new premises, but closed in 1911
220 Castle Pub. This was on the corner with Brewhouse Lane. Tithe original building was demolished in the 1930s and replaced.  The building was destroyed by Second World War bombing when 42 people were killed. The pub was replaced with a hut, and then rebuilt in 1959.  This building was 2003 and replaced by the Boathouse pub.
231 Normanby Pub. This was previously the Cedar Tree
Mirror Electric Theatre. Corner Brewhouse Lane. The Mirror Electric Theatre opened in 1914 replacing the Queens Head. In 1915, it was re-named Electric Pavilion Picture House. It was equipped with a church type straight organ. It was closed during World War I
Queens Head. 18th pub demolished in 1914

Putney Bridge. 
Putney Bridge. This was the second bridge on the Thames to be built after London Bridge. The first Putney Bridge was built in 1729 of wood from an idea by a surgeon called Cheseldon and designed by Jacob Acworth working with Thomas Phillips, the King's carpenter. A toll bridge, it had tollbooths at either end of the timber-built structure. There was also an aqueduct. The Metropolitan Board of Works purchased the bridge in 1879, discontinued the tolls in 1880, and set about its replacement
The current bridge dates from 1884, and designed by Bazalgette. the bridge integrates two of his five outfall sewers running perpendicular to it was constructed by John Waddell and was opened by the Prince and Princess of Wales in 1886. It was built on a new alignment. In Cornish granite it has mass concrete foundations and five segmental arches either side of central span, this was widened on the downstream side in 1933 and again in 1954 by the London County Council. The bridge has been the starting point for The University Boat Race since 1845 as well as the Wingfield Sculls and the Head of the River Race. Lighting is with original style lanterns.
Ferry. The Putney ferry terminus was in Brew house Lane. It is the name of a Morris Dance.

Putney High Street
St Mary the Virgin. The parish church on the riverside. The church was originally a chapel-of-ease to Wimbledon and there has been a church here since the 13th. In the 17th it was used Council of War held by Cromwell, Fairfax, Fleetwood, Ireton, and Rich.  The New Model Army, held the Putney Debates here. They discussed political ideas embodied in the 'Agreement of the People', including the idea of one man - one vote, essentially a debate on the English Constitution. The church tower survives from a 15th rebuilding since restored. The rest was rebuilt by E. Lapidge in 1836 and again by Ronald Sims in 1982, after a fire in 1973. The main survival is the 16th chantry chapel of Bishop West. Set against and dwarfed by office blocks and glass building sphere is a striking contrast in architectural styles.  In 2005 a new extension to the church, the "Brewer Building", was opened as a community space
Boundary walls. In 1836 there was a tall brick wall curving up to stone piers with cast iron gates which surrounded a small burial ground in front of the church. This was replaced by the current railings and low wall in 1884/5. The original octagonal stone piers from the earlier boundary survive though the lanterns are now missingPutney Bridge Bus Depot. Built for the National Steam Car Co. in 1913 but closed in 1919 when they stopped operations. It was reopened by LGOC in 1920. Eventually closed in 1958. Replaced by housing.
Hamilton Court. This 1990s block of flats is in the space of the rear courtyard behind Richmond Mansions and 2-12 Putney High Street. It  replaced a stable block of built in 1888-9. horses were stabled on the first floor, access being via a ramp from ground floor level. 1 Rose and Crown. This as next to St Mary's Church and was open in 1786. It Closed due to 'nuisance' in 1887.  It was demolished in the late 19th
14 Walkabout Pub. This was originally the the White Lion. 18th pub. Later called the Slug and Lettuce. In other use but the access arch to rear stables remains. It was built in 1887. The 'French Pavilion" roof has iron cresting and twin weather vanes. There is a date plaque and a stone white lion, and two ladies holding up the balconies
23 James Dallett, This works made posh soap and candles in the 19th. They were between the High Street and Brewhouse Lane near the church.
25 Odeon Cinema. This was opened by Associated British Cinemas as a replacement for the Odeon and the adjacent ABC cinemas which were both closed in 1971 and demolished in 1972. It opened in 1975 and   was re-named Cannon from 1986, MGM from 1990, ABC (again) and most recently Odeon.
25 ABC Regal Cinema. This was built and operated by Associated British Cinemas. It was in an Art Deco style by their in-house architect William R. Glen. It opened in and had with a Compton 3Manual/6Ranks theatre organ, with Melotone attachment and an illuminated console. It was opened by organist Charles Smart. The cinema was re-named ABC in 1961 and closed on 1971.
46-48 Whistle and Flute Pub. Made up from a small parade of shops
48 Bull and Star. This was on the corner of Felsham Road. Originally built in the early 18th century, it was rebuilt late 19th century and demolished in 1971.
64 The Coopers Arms. This was on the corner with what is now known as  Lacy Road. It was here by the mid 17th, when the landlord was also a cooper. It closed in.1905 and demolished at the end of the 20th
66 Brandon’s Putney Brewery. This was founded in 1800 as A J Brandon & Co and became Brandon’s Putney Brewery Ltd in 1896. Brandon’s, were taken over by Mann, Crossman & Paulin in 1920 at which time they had 76 pubs and continued independently until 1949.
110 Spotted Horse. Pub built onto an old cottage site open at least since the mid 19th.  Little model horse over the door.
146-148 Bills Pub. Replace a pub called the Slug and Lettuce
Putney Station. This lies between Barnes and Wandsworth Town on South Western Trains. The railway opened here 1846 with the opening of the Richmond line. A small station was built to the east of Putney High Street but was replaced in 1886 by the present station, when the line was widened to four tracks.
Dawes House. This was on the site of the present Putney Station. It has been built in 1634-36 for Sir Abraham Dawes.
Railway hotel. This 19th hotel was on the corner of Richmond Road

Wandsworth Park
Wandsworth Park. This was formerly North Field and allotments. It was purchased in 1898 by the London County Council together with Wandsworth District Board, and by public subscription. It was designed and laid out under Lt Col John James Sexby.  There is a large playing field in the surrounded by an oval path. There is an avenue of trees form the northern edge along the river. It was opened in 1903.

Werter Road
Fairfax House, This stood on the site of this street and had been built in the 1630s by Henry White, a baker and landowner.
Baptist Chapel. This is in stock brick in a Romanesque style designed by Johnson. Now The Community Church is began in 1877, with a group of twenty being sent from the Metropolitan Tabernacle, Charles Spurgeon’s centre. The church building was constructed in the 1880s.

Brandlehow School. Web site
British History. Online. Putney
Cinema Theatre Association Newsletter
Cinema Treasures. Web site
Closed Pubs. Web site
Greater London Council. Thames Guidelines
London Borough of Wandsworth. Web site
London Encyclopaedia
London Footprints. Web site
London SW15. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. South London

Wednesday, 13 April 2016

Riverside. south bank, west of the Tower. Old Battersea

Riverside. south bank, west of the Tower. Old Battersea

Post to the south Battersea York Road
Post to the north Battersea Morgan's Walk

Althorpe Grove
This is on the sites of Althorpe and Surrey Houses, as well as some smaller housing blocks and was developed by the Greater London Council. It was begun in 1976 originally as an extension to the Somerset Estate but developed into a Mix of new-build with old buildings. This followed local pressure and a public enquiry.  The job architect was Nicholas Wood of the GLC Department of Architecture’s Housing Branch.  The estate is bisected by Westbridge Road and includes buildings in Church Road; and the High Street. The layout sought to give river views where possible. There was a shallow stream for paddling and cast-concrete portrait heads of various celebrities are on some of the buildings. There was to be a Club room and a nursery school

Battersea Church Road
Phoenix Wharf. This was south of Garden Wharf (see square to the north) and in the mid 19th was in Phoenix Wharf Lane, off Church Road. In the 1890s it was leased to the Compressed Gas Co Ltd and then by Cooke & Co. who undertook large scale construction contracts
Pier Wharf or Sunderland Wharf. In 1890 this was in use by William Bridge for coal and lighterage
Rodney Wharf. In the 1860s used by John Bullock manufacturing chemist who had moved there from Bond Street.  After his bankruptcy it was used by a Mr. Lomas who made gunpowder flakes.
100 Monteventro. Richard Rogers designed block of flats on the site of Battersea Mills.  Monteventro means ‘glass mountain’ which may well describe this building.
Bolingbroke House. This was built by the St John family on part of the site of the medieval manor house of Battersea, in the early 17th. It is said to have been the seat of Lord Spencer. It was partly demolished in 1775. The remains of the house remained in the mill complex - the miller Thomas Dives lived there in 1841. Battersea Normal College may have been founded here. In the 1840s.In 1876 it was taken over by the local vicar and was used as Bolingbroke Hospital. When this moved to Wakehurst Road around 1901 the house became derelict. Demolished in 1926.
The Horizontal Windmill. This was on the site of Bolingbroke house and built in 1788 by Thomas Fowler to Stephen Hooper's design. It was in the shape of the dome containing a machine of the same shape and nearly the same dimensions as the dome with just space to turn round in it. It had floats like a water mill only moved by the wind. It is said to have originally been erected to grind colours for Fowlers’ Piccadilly business and also that it was used for grinding linseed for oil but later used as by Hodgson and Co., as part of their maltings and later by the miller at Battersea Mill, Thomas Dives,  using steam power. It was demolished in 1849
Battersea Mills. These were on the riverside on the site now used for the Monteventro development. The corn mills originally used the air mill. It was replaced and in the hand of the Dives family until the 1880s when it was passed to the Mayhew family – with Dives retaining an interest for some years. The mill was replaced in the early 20th by Mark Mayhew Ltd as a four-storey brick mill erected to the designs of C. A. Milner. This was a roller mill—using steel rollers to crush the grain, not millstones—operating on the latest ‘gradual reduction’ Simon system. It was extended in the later 1890s or early 1900s. It was eventually taken over by Rank to finally become Rank Hovis McDougal. The mills were again rebuilt for Rank by Sir Alfred Gelder and Llewellyn Kitchen. In 1915–18 land was reclaimed from the river and a new mill and silo were built.  There were more extensions in the 1930s. The mills closed in 1992, and were sold and demolished in 1997.
Malthouse. This appears to precede the corn mill and to have originally used the air mill. On maps however it is shown as a large building to the south of the corn mill.  It is also described as a distillery owned for more than one generation of Hodgsons. As early as 1799 they had installed a second hand Boulton and Watt steam engine here.  There were a number of Hodgsons in the brewing trade in the 19th. In the middle of the 19th a system had developed here of fattening cattle using waste grain from the maltings. By the 1890s it was owned by John Watney and Sons. The old malting was cleared and its wharf extended. 
73-77 Bolingbroke Works. This was at the end of Bolingbrooke Road and was the “Silicated carbon filter works - Dahlike’s patent”. This was a water filter works
91 United Methodist Free church
115 Althorpe House. House opposite the church with 17th and 18th features. Became an asylum and later dye works offices. Demolished in 1965.
St.Mary’s. Battersea Parish Church is a brick building with a square tower and a spire, which faces the river. It was re- built in 1777 by Joseph Dixon, and replaced an earlier structure which had stood here as early as 800 AD. It has detailed records from 1559 and a record from 1379 of structural work undertaken by Henry Yevele – and his work remains in the east window. Dixon’s was designed as a brick preaching box. Arthur Blomfield supervised a restoration in 1876-78 and 16th monuments remain in the church.
Churchyard. This has been much altered and stones cleared and planting done. Mortuary – built in 1876 in the churchyard near the river, following some incidents in the church. No longer there
Slipway. Public drawdock and concrete ramp but only suitable for small boats. This was Parish Wharf
116 Old Swan flats. These were built in 1995 to designs by Michael Squire Assocs,
116 Old Swan public house. This was an old riverside pub used as a mark point for river races and said to have been much used by river workers. Until the 1960s it was a three storey corner pub which had been rebuilt in 1892 by Thomas Moss.  It was again rebuilt in 1962 with a lower building with a pitched roof by Stewart Hendry & Smith for Mann, Crossman & Paulin. Only four years later it was remodelled with a barging and lighterage theme, with an inside full of wooden planking. It was known for drag shows and later punk rock venue. Closed and derelict it was burnt down in 1986.  Now replaced by flats
Swan Wharf. This was to the south of the Swan Pub
126 William Hendra. Hendra had come to London from Cornwall and opened a foundry in Chelsea in 1838.  Joined by his five sons he had extended to this works in Battersea and Kings Cross. This works was still extant in the 1890.
141 Dimson Lodge part of Althorpe development.  This tenants all was named for Gladys Dimson, who represented the area on the Greater London Council. Since 2007 has been a clubroom for the elderly as well as providing a meeting and community space.
Sparkford House. The block is on the Somerset Estate, which was designed by British modernist architect Colin Lucas and built in the 1964 for the Greater London Council. It has 21 storeys.
River Iron Foundry, latterly part of Morgan Crucible.

Battersea High Street
28 The Priory. This house had been in 1761 a pub called the Adam and Eve and later the Grotto. Various inhabitants were local dignitaries. In 1931 the London County Council bought it and the school took it over and demolished it.
Sir Walter St John's School. Founded in 1700 or earlier and it was then small and humble. During the 18th the school stagnated and it as known as the Battersea Free or Charity or Village School with 23 pupils. . In 1808 a new Vicar found that every room in the schoolhouse apart from the schoolroom itself had been let. He tried to bring it into line with the National School system for educating the poor on Anglican principles. In 1839 the Vestry agreed to use compensation money from the London & Southampton Railway for an extension to the school built in 1840 by Pipers of Bishopsgate to Sampson Kempthorne’s design.  In 1853 a fresh scheme of management was obtained following a public meeting and calls for more middle class education. Land was bought and Butterfield was appointed. The master’s house replaced the old school, though the 1840 extension to its north survived. There were two schoolrooms, one classroom and a ‘hat room’ on each floor. The school reopened in June 1859. In 1880 it was resolved to shut the elementary school. The middle school became officially a grammar school in 1902.  Partly funded by the London County Council many changes and extensions were made during the 20th, including repairs for extensive war time bomb damage. In 1944 it became a voluntary controlled grammar school. It was amalgamated in 1977 with William Blake School as a voluntary boys’ comprehensive. Because of falling secondary rolls, in 1988 that school was in turn merged into Battersea Park School. What survives from Butterfield is the centre of the present range in diapered brick with stone dressings and an entrance through a double archway. The classrooms - originally five - were reached by an external staircase. The head master’s house was replaced in 1913 by the hall and gymnasium by A.H. Ryan Tennison. The hall is an upper room with an open timber root although the stage is an extension by T. Denny of 1937-8. In the library is a stained glass window by Lawrence Lee from 1968. Sir Walter St John’s School moved from here in until 1986. It was succeeded by a private preparatory school, Thomas’s, which took over the buildings in 1990.
Surrey House. Became an asylum and was eventually pulled down in the late 1850s for the rebuilding of Sir Walter St John’s School,
Lindsay Court. Tower block built by the Metropolitan Borough of Battersea in 1961 designed by Howes & Jackman and built by A. A. Stuart & Sons.
42-44 Original Woodman this is now Le QuecumBar and Brasserie. This was rebuilt in 1888 and has been altered since.
47 Foresters’ Arms de-licensed and derelict in 1914
Restoration Square. Built in 2000. Its basis was the old cigar factory and reusing some of the factory buildings.
64-66 Allen Brothers Cigar and tobacco manufacture St John’s cigar factory of 1875–8. St John’s Factory was built in 1875 by Merritt & Ashby for Allen and Ernest Lambert, the younger sons of the founder of Lambert & Butler, who traded as Allen Brothers.  Imperial Tobacco closed the works, which was by then a pipe factory, about 1930. In the late 1950s the factory as used by the Ductube Company Ltd, makers of inflatable tubing for laying ducts in concrete.
Powrie House. This is on the site of Goslings Yard. This was built by Battersea Borough council and named after a headmaster of St Mary’s School. It was built in 1958–9 by Prestige & Co, probably to the designs of Howes & Jackman. With some Festival of Britain features in the design,
60 The Woodman. Built in the 1840s
106 a temperance public house was intended to be built by the Katherine Low Settlement in memory of their first president.  It was designed by the architects Constantine & Vernon with a games hall, club rooms and mezzanine kitchen. It was sold in the early 1990s to Battersea Churches Housing Trust, but later became a private house.
Grove House. This was north of The Cedars. In 1712 it belonged to Charles Carkesse. The house was demolished in the mid 1880s for the building of Orville Road.
108 The Cedars Working girls club. This is now the Katherine Low Settlement. She was a philanthropist in whose memory this was founded in 1924. This is the only survivor of several large houses in this part of the High Street. It is a house of the 1760s. It was then the home of a John Camden, a descendant of the antiquary William Camden. About 1851 the house was partly rebuilt for William Garrad Baker of May & Baker. Set at right-angles to the road, the house retains its 18th footprint. The entrance once looked over a terrace and cedar-dotted lawns. Some land was taken in 1860 by the West London Extension Railway When the T house was occupied by William Cory, founder of the coal merchants .In 1880 it opened as a home for ‘working gentlewomen’ or ‘lady students’. It later became a clergy house with a girls’ club-house in the garden. The poverty of his part of Battersea attracted attention and from 1906 the mission was set up here.  After the Great War in 1923 Christ’s College Cambridge initiative, Christ’s College Boys’ Club introduced the all-female Katherine Low Settlement to the club. Very little is known of Katherine Low who was a wealthy American with no known Battersea connections. In the grounds by the railway embankment is a modern concrete building used as a children’s nursery. A blue plaque was put on the building in 2014.
The Retreat. This was opposite The Cedars and Princess Marie-, Duchess of Angoulême, daughter of Louis XVI, lived here in 1815 before returning to France after Napoleon’s final defeat. There are however records of its occupation in the early 18th by a series of businessmen and high ranking officials.
The Retreat. This was built in the grounds of the older house in 1837. In the mid 19th the name was changed to Southlands. In the 1850s it was opened as a military academy.  This Academy had closed by 1871, when it was sold for use as a teacher-training college and became for South Thames College. It is by Withers & Meredith. In 1927 the property was bought by Battersea Council for a health centre, baths, library and other activities. The house was destroyed in Second World War bombing leaving just a wing dating from 1904–5, now Old Library Apartments
Manor House. This was a house from the early 18th. . It was occupied by a series of lawyers. It was later demolished for the railway
Manor House. This was a 19th house built in the grounds of the demolished predecessor and fronting the High Street. It was the home of a builder.
Battersea Station. Built In the early 1860s by West London Extension Railway on the site of a building called the Manor House. It was opened in 1863 and closed in 1940 after air raid damage. It was never reopened. The station was built on an embankment entirely of wood at track level to lessen the weight. There was a brick-built street-level building was the east side of Battersea High Street north of the line with a ticket office and ladies waiting room. There were covered stairways to the platforms.  The burnt out remains survived into the 1970s.
Signal Box. This was west of the station and rebuilt in 1873.  In 1936 it was closed and demolished.
115 Castle. The original pub was destroyed in Second World War bombing and demolished in 1963. This is a rebuild for Young & Co of 1964–5 designed by William G. Ingram, Son & Archer. The Castle is said to be one of Battersea’s oldest inns dating back to 1600. The name is first recorded in 1695.The previous building may have been 17th with a large public bar and a narrow staircase behind which was a parlour. The cellar had been extended in the 1880s. The sign restored in the 1950s was a 5ft-high semi-circular wooden structure
122 Brethren Meeting Room. Demolished,
124–128 block of flats by Walter Menteth Architects, built in 1998 for the Ujima Housing Association, providing accommodation in part for the disabled.
Battersea High Street market. This began in the 1890s
130 Salvation Army barracks. Built in 1883 in Gurlimgs Yard
130 George Potter House. An old people’s home with an attached day centre built from 1973 to designs by Ryders
134 Laburnum House. Battersea Liberal Club and Institute. Built 1882. At the start of the Great War the club closed and became a lodging house. It was later taken over by the Methodists’ Battersea Central Mission and in 1938 they built up the front as a milk bar. This is said to have replaced a Temperance hall
136 Greyhound Pub. This had a music license by 1868. It is now the Bellevue
137 Icon Building.  This is on the site of the Railway Hotel. Six bar pub built in the 1860s, since demolished Following destruction in Second World War bombing. In the 1970s it became a Royal Naval Association clubhouse

Battersea Railway Bridge
The Battersea Railway Bridge. This is also called the Cremorne Bridge after the pleasure grounds and also as the Falcon Bridge. It carries the railway between Battersea and Chelsea and forming part of the West London Line on the London Overground.  It was designed by William Baker chief engineer of the London and North West Railway and was opened in 1863. It carries two sets of railway lines and has five m) lattice girder arches set on stone piers. On the south side there are four arches, two of which are for as storage by houseboat residents downstream of the bridge. .It refurbished in 1969, and in 1992.

Battersea Square
This became known as Battersea Square following a designation as a Conservation Area in 1972 and in 1990 the name was formally readopted, and properties renumbered: This is the area of the old village green. In 1656 it ea called the Elms or Elm Trees and the tress seemed to define a triangular island in the open space. By the mid 19th it was known as the Square. It was the site of the parish stocks, which were replaced by a pump.
3 Oak Wharf. Wharf used for coal and lime transhipment.  There was also a rowing and social club there.  Symondson coal
7-9 restaurant in London House built by a linen draper James Bennett in 1866 with a yard and workshops behind. This was used as a night club in the 1970s and has been a series of restaurants since, mostly called Bennetts.
9 Elmore and Scott. Barge builders who were here in the 1870s
11 St Mary’s Mission room and Reading Room
20 - 22 Gonville House. In the 1880s this was run by Caius College Mission
32 Bricklayers’ Arms beer house. In 1861 this was called the General Garibaldi.  It is now a restaurant
34 Ship House with the shop and offices of the Victoria Granaries behind, dating from 1890–2. The granaries were established in 1891–2 by Augustus Hall in the grounds of Devonshire House. The original buildings were designed by Robert Burr8.  A. F. Hall & Sons, corn and flour merchants, who remained here until the Second World War. In 1984–5 the main granary was converted to dance studios for the Royal Academy of Dance. Ship House became offices in 1989–91.
35 the new granary built 1907 by J. H. May,
Albion House. This was one of two 18th houses. In the early 19th it was a boys’ boarding school. The houses were demolished about 1825, and their sites added to the grounds of Devonshire House. 
Cotswold Mews, conversion of the buildings of the Cotswold Laundry built in.1914. It later became a plastics factory but the current building is 1937.
Workhouse. In 1791 a parish workhouse was needed with more space in it and a Mr Duff offered the lease of a house. This became the new workhouse with 63 inmates in 1792. Demolished in 1839 when the Union workhouse was available
Almshouses. There were 17th parish almshouses at the top of the High Street. They were demolished in the 18th and replace by some elsewhere.

Bolingbroke Gardens
This appears to have been on the site of Bolingbroke House in Church Road.
Foot, Brown and Co. This was managed by Charlotte Foot from 1839 along with another works in Bow. It was a chemical and dye manufacturing company. Charlotte bought ammoniacal liquor from the Imperial Gas Company in the 1830s and in the 1850s undertook experiments to determine the validity of a number of purification patents.

Bridges Court
The London Heliport. Battersea Heliport began in 1959 as Westland Helicopters. Following closure of the City of London floating helipad at Trigg Lane in 1985, it became the only CAA licensed heliport serving the City of London. The London Heliport continues to provide an essential service to the business community and local emergency services, like the London Air Ambulance
Grove Works. This was Walter Carson & Sons’ paint and varnish works which survived into the 1960s

Gwynne Road
The road is named after James Gwynne who was the developer of this estate.  Gwynne was one of the family of Gwynne’s Pump and Engineering business of the Essex Street in the Strand, later part of Vickers.
2 Modernist block by Walter Menteth for Ujima Housing built 1998.  Pure white cube.

Holman Road
Caius House. Caius College Mission was established here in 1890. It was originally in a purpose-built tall, Gothic, red-brick structure with a boxing club
Caius Youth Club
St Mary this was built in 1895 as an unconsecrated Chapel of Ease to St Mary's Battersea. It was a joint venture between St Mary's and Caius College Cambridge. Recently it has only been used for an annual carol service. Probably demolished

Lombard Road
Before the road was built John Smyth had sugar-houses in the 1670s, where he refined ‘very great quantities yearly’ of raw sugars imported from Barbados
Albion Wharf. Used by Cole lighterman. In 1915 it was rudimentary with a high old brick workshop, a lean-to at the side, an earth floor, and a slipway into the river
Alfred H. Keep, barge builder. Harry Keep also had a yard at Greenhithe, which was eventually taken over and became Everards. He is described as ‘senior partner’ in a lighterage and tug business with an address in Lower Thames Street.
4 White Hart Pub. Demolished in the early 1980s . The pub is said to have dated from the 17th and to have been visited by Charles II. However the first recorded reference is 1757. It was accessible from the riverside and included a boat hire business. Most recently a new building on the site was a Thai restaurant but previously Battersea Boathouse, Riverside and River Rat, and Chandler.
6 Lombard Wharf. This wharf is shown on various maps in the 19th and is sometimes shown as north and sometimes as south of the railway bridge. A 28 storey block of flats is planned for this site south of the bridge. Designed by Patel Taylor it has wraparound balconies, rotated at an angle of two degrees, to appear as a series of ‘rotating discs’. From the 1870s the wharf was used by West Bros., fire brick makers, and later by a firm of car breakers.
12 Wigmore Wharf – shown south of the railway bridge and in the 1950s used by Alex Dribbell, haulage contractors
Lombard Lodge. A riverside house shown south of Lombard Wharf in 1867 when it had already been sold for development.
Frame Food Works. In the 1890s this was on Lombard wharf south of the bridge. Frame Food specialised in invalid, baby and diet food made from processed wheat bran.
Oyster Wharf. Flats on riverside site also described as Regent Wharf.
Star Athletic Grounds – this was a running track used by professionals from probably the late 1870s and certainly in the 1880s. It was near triangular in shape and with an entrance on Lombard Road just north of the railway.
Battersea House – large detached house south of Lombard Wharf which was the successor to a house in existence by 1547. It was owned from the 1660s - 1790s by the Smith family who owned the nearby Sugar Houses. It was rebuilt and was occupied by a series of dignitaries. Demolished in 1870.
Falcon Wharf. In 1901 a three-storey block of stabling had been, built to J. T. Pilditch’s designs. There were 96 stalls, eight loose boxes and six harness rooms with a ramp leading to a cantilevered inner gallery. The top storey, served was used to store fodder, There were also houses for senior staff. The buildings were gradually adapted for lorries and the draw dock was converted to a wet dock for rubbish barges which has previously used Grove Wharf, the whole of which was needed for loading and storing coal. The stable building itself was replaced in 1977 by a systems-built office block.  From 1977 the wharf housed the old Battersea Direct Labour organisation taken over by Tory Wandsworth who closed them down finally in 1985.
Grove Wharf. Owned by the vestry and used for coal deliveries to the power station.
Cave house. Big house, called The Cave or Cave House, built c.1765-85.  Demolished in 1870
Theodore Audoire. Chemical works making benzine rect., carbolic powders, creosol, and sheep dips. The works was bought up by the Council for the construction of the electricity works.
Walnut Tree Lodge. Another big house in substantial grounds towards the south end of the street.
Whiffen Chemical Works. Whiffen joined Jacob Hulle in his chemical business in the late 1850s which used Lombard House, with a large former sugar-house in its garden by the river – the sugar-house had been converted to a turpentine factory in the 1780s by Edward Webster.  There they made strychnine and quinine. Hulle retired in 1868 and the business expanded under Whiffen. And by 1933 had moved to Fulham. Whiffen had by then other works in various parts of London.
Fred Wells Gardens. This open space known is on land previously used for small works yards, plus a greyhound track. Fred Wells died in 1982 who was a long-serving Labour Councillor, who represented Latchmere Ward. The park that was opened in 1982 was named in his honour. At the other end the area was Orville Road Open Space. The site of 19th houses demolished by bombing in the Second World War and was replaced with prefabs.
Battersea Stadium. The Battersea track first held racing in 1930. It operated under the official NGRC It was next to the present day London Heliport. In February 1937 it was purchased by the Greyhound Racing Association who wanted to close it and build an ice rink.  It closed during the Second World War and was eventually replaced by the Arndale shopping centre – later called Southside - in 1971.
Lombard Road Power Station. Opened in 1901. Until 1972 Battersea was served by a generating station built in Lombard Road by the Battersea Vestry and opened by Battersea Borough Council, in 1901. The Battersea Electric Lighting Order, of 1896, was the ninth local authority in London with this power and the first south of the river. The site, bounded by Lombard, Gwynne, Harroway and Holman Roads, was bought by the Vestry in 1897–8. Coal was delivered to Grove Wharf which the Vestry owned.  It was built by direct labour designed by C. Stanley Peach, with the electrical engineer Alexander Kennedy. The power generated was for lighting as well as for machinery and trams. The buildings were in brick with a circular tower at the street corner, there was a dominating octagonal chimney. An inclined coal conveyor ran from Grove Wharf across Lombard Road. Mains were laid in 32 streets and threw main roads were lit by arc lamps supplied by the General Electric Company. A well was sunk to supply the station’s boilers. In 1915, when the Hammersmith, Battersea and Fulham generating stations were connected to allow the Central Electricity Board to link the station into the new National Grid, and this meant a switch to alternating current. A further generator and switch house were added in 1931. By 1939 more than 73 million kWh were being supplied to Battersea and another 27 million to the National Grid. Following nationalisation the buildings were again in 1952 and the chimney was demolished. It generated for the last time in 1972. Only the boiler room wall is said to remain. There is also a substation on the corner with Holman Road.

Vicarage Crescent
This was called Vicarage Road and the east west section was Green Lane.  The riverside area was called ‘The Wharf’ until the 1890s when it was laid out as a road and the foreshore embanked to become Vicarage Gardens
6-8 Laburnum House. Clubhouse of the Battersea Liberal Association replacing the old clubhouse called Laburnum House in Battersea High Street.
27 - 29 St Mary's Church of England Primary School, this is dated 1855 on a centrally placed plaque which says "NATIONAL SCHOOL FOR GIRLS AND INFANTS. THESE BUILDINGS WERE ERECTED BY MISS CHAMPION ON LAND GRANTED BY EARL SPENCER AND OPENED APRIL 10TH 1855 FOR THE EDUCATION OF THE POOR.   It is in the form of a pair of houses and was also called Green Lanes School. It was closed in 1985 and converted to housing
St.John's Estate. This was built 1931-4 by W. J. Dresden for Battersea Borough Council as blocks of flats in the London County Council between-the-wars type. It is on what were gardens of Terrace House, later used by St. Johns college. It was sold off by the Tory Wandsworth Council to a private developer in 1981 and the flats sold off to non-council tenants.
30 Old Battersea House. This was also known as Terrace House. Built in 1699 and probably replacing a house called Stanlies.  This is late 17th, plain but substantial. It was restored, by Vernon Gibberd, in 1972-4.  A carved frieze with globe and instruments may refer to Samuel Pett, Controller of Victualling to the Navy who lived here in the 17th. There is a sundial with the date 1699. The house was occupied by a series of industrialists and business people – many connected with shipbuilding and with Pett family connections. In the early 19th this included member of the Perry family, and George Green of Blackwall Yard lived nearby as an apprentice. From 1840 it was the headquarters of of St John's College until 1923. Later a row developed on preservation and development issues. It was eventually restored and set up as the de Morgan museum a of pottery and pre-Raphaelite painting  by Mr. & Mrs Stirling who also lived there which lasted until Mrs. Stirling died aged 100 in 1965. There was constant detonation and vandalism. The house was eventually sold in 2011 and the collection given to Wandsworth Council.
St John's Training College. This was on the grounds of Terrace House and later used for the St. John’s Estate. It was originally the Normal School for Schoolmasters at Battersea, then Battersea Training College or Normal School and later from 1872 St. John’s (Training) College. In the 1830s Poor Law Commissioner James Kay-Shuttleworth began to be concerned about education for the poor and was lent Terrace House to use.= as a training college. Young men were to be trained as teachers and work was done along with the local village school which had attracted attention for its work under Robert Eden. Funding was not secure until it was taken over in 1843 by the National Society for the Church of England. It became the largest of a series of Anglican training colleges. There were extensions of lecture theatres and dormitories. A chapel was built by Butterfield in 1857. In the 1890s there was considerable expansion with the purchase of land from Battersea Vestry and the purchase of the freehold of the site with help from the Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge. A library, a gym and much more were added. In 1923 it was merged with St. Mark’s College Chelsea and eventually closed. It was purchased by Battersea Council.
32 Vicarage built in the early 1970s on part of the garden of the original vicarage.
42 St. Mary’s House. This is the former vicarage. It was probably built around 1800 and was substantially rebuilt in the 1820s.  It was let out in the 1880s was a ladies' school and from 1887 used by the Caius College Mission. . It is also known as Deralie House. There is a Blue Plaque to Edward Adrian Wilson 'Antarctic explorer and naturalist who lived here’.  In the 1970s it was converted to offices and restored again with an extension to the rear.   There was a 19th church hall behind.
44 Devonshire House. This was part of Sir Walter St John School. It dates from around c.1700. Inside is original panelling and a narrow hall leading to a stair-hall at the back; staircase with twisted balusters. In the 19th it was the home of the Condy family of the Bollman Condy chemical works. It was later used as offices by the Gaston E, Marbaix machine tool company and then as a sixth form centre for St.John’s School 1971-1986.  It is now a private house.
Vicarage Wharf - Lawn House. This probably darted from the 1770s. It was also called Lawn Cottage. It was later used 1866-1907 by the, hitherto Lambeth based, barge builders Nash and Miller. At what was later known as Vicarage Wharf, as Robert, and later Hugh and John Miller, they ran a very considerable fleet of spritsail barges – Myra, Monica, Muriel, Myrtle, Marjorie, Mona, and others. After which it was used by Ranks as a warehouse. It was burnt out in the 1920s. It is now the Riverains flat site
71 Riverains – Vicarage Wharf. Built in 1973–4 for the Rowe Housing Trust, now part of Octavia Housing. The architects were Jefferson Sheard & Partners
Valiant House. This was begun in 1971 with flats in two seven-storey blocks, built on Valiant Wharf and the Iron River Foundry. The architects were Stefan Zins Associates. This led the way for waterside apartments along the Thames.
Valiant Wharf. Concrete works and batching plant. In the late 1950s Ham River House was built and let to Securicor. It was demolished in 2005 and rebuilt as flats and offices.
Vicarage Gardens. Laid out along the foreshore plus an embankment in the 1890s

West Bridge Road
This was once called Ferry Lane, and also King Street
Lammas Hall. In 1858 Battersea Vestry received compensation money for extinguished Lammas rights for the construction of Battersea Park. It was decided to build a hall. They bought a newly built beerhouse and converted that and it opened in 1858 with a sign above the doorway announcing that. It was used for community and club meetings and the vestry met there. In 1888 the new borough used the old Board of Works offices and the hall was converted into a library. It was demolished in 1970.
140 Raven Pub. This dates from the 17th and is dated by its curved Dutch gables. It was once called the Black Raven’ and was used for parish meetings and inquests. It was done up in 2013.

Yelverton Road
Totteridge House. This is a 21-storey tower. J. C. Bianco & Associates was the engineer. The ground floor has a full height frieze of relief figures
Sambrook's Brewery. Here since 2008

York Road
20-22 Battersea Central Mission. This was established in 1940 by Rev John A Thompson who saw need in Battersea, widespread poverty, inadequate housing, healthcare and education. He struggled to buy land and fund the Mission.  During the Second World the basement was a bomb shelter for about a thousand people. The Mission was not only a church but a place where children and young people were welcomed, taught and often fed and clothed. The elderly were visited and cared for and families were helped. Thompson wanted a Christian health centre and threw was a physiotherapy clinic and a day nursery for children from broken or distressed homes. In 1974, Lord Rank funded the Rank Teaching Centre, where doctors and nurses could be are trained in the treatment of ulcers. Along with this and many socially focussed organisations have used the facilities. The Church has also become a multi-cultural community. in 2009 the Mission closed its doors for what many thought would be the last time as the building required a vast sum spent to make it fit for purpose. But in 2010 it re-opened.
30 Falcon Pencil Works. Elias Wolff was a pencil maker working, in Spitalfields in the 1840s. His pencils were exhibited at the 1851 Great Exhibition. The Falcon Pencil Works in Gurling’s Yard was built in 1878 for the company. The factory closed in the early 1920s after they were taken over by the new Royal Sovereign Pencil Co. Ltd, and production moved to Neasden.
32 Super Palace/Washington Music Hall. The Royal Standard Music Hall had been built in 1886 and was operated by George Washington Moore and thus was known as the Washington Music Hall. In 1900 it was the Battersea Palace of Varieties, in 1901 the Washington Music Hall; in 1902 the New Battersea Empire Theatre; in 1903 Battersea Empire Theatre and in 1908 the Palace Theatre of Varieties. It then began to show films as well as variety and became part of the MacNaghten Vaudeville Circuit, and changed its name again in 1917 to the Battersea Palace Theatre. In 1924 it was converted into a full time cinema and in 1929 was called the Super Palace. It still had some variety turns on the stage and showed films on ABC release. After the Second World War it was taken over by Bloom Theatres Ltd. and closed in 1958. It was demolished around 1969.
Battersea Grove Boys School. Connected to the Battersea Chapel. In 1799, under the Rev. Joseph Hughes a committee of Baptist subscribers set up a charity school. They were based in Grove House until 1824. In 1840 it was decided to build a new school and it was built on a site opposite Lombard Road by George & J. W. Bridger of Aldgate. It was closed in 1887, and it became a Sunday school and vaccination centre.
Battersea Chapel. A group of Baptists took the name of the Battersea Chapel in the 18th traditionally in 1736.  The chapel stood the north side of York Road east of the junction with Lombard Road and this sited is noted in 1728. It built or rebuilt in about 177. By the end of the century the Meeting-house was occupied by a group who described themselves as ‘Protestant Dissenters of the Antipaedobaptist Denomination’. The freehold was purchased in 1842 and the chapel was refurbished and a date plaque ‘1736’ put up. Soon the chapel expanded further and a new building was erected in 1870 to, seat 900. Following Second World War damage in 1940, the Battersea Chapel was restored and reopened in 1956. In 1963 a negotiation with Battersea Council ended with an agreement to resite the chapel and school in a new building in Wye Street.

Bartlett School. Survey of London. Web site
Battersea Methodist Mission. Web site
British Brick Society. Web site.
Cinema Treasures. Web site
Clunn. The Face of London.
Disused Stations. Web site
Family History Notebook. Web site
Grace’s Guide. Web site
Greater London Council. Thames Guidelines
Kathleen Low Settlement. Web site
London Borough of Wandsworth. Web site
London Encyclopaedia
Mersea Barge Museum. Web site
Nairn. Nairn’s London
O’Connor. London’s Forgotten Stations
Panorama of the Thames. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. South London
Pub History. Web site
Runtrackdir. Web site
Simmonds. All Ahout Battersea
Summerson. London’s Georgian Buildings
Thorpe. Old and New South London
Wikipedia Web Site – Battersea Railway Bridge

Saturday, 9 April 2016

Riverside South Bank west of the Tower -Morgan's Walk

Riverside South Bank west of the Tower - Morgan's Walk

Post to the East - Battersea West of the Park
Post to the south Battersea Old Town

This represents a tiny corner of this square which is on the south bank. It includes mainly part of a housing estate on an old industrial site
Thorney Crescent
Whistlers Avenue

Morgan’s Walk Estate.
Morgan Crucible Company. In the 1930s–50s the Morgan Crucible Company’s works took up 1,000ft of river bank. The six Vaughan Morgan brothers began in 1850 with the acquisition of the City firm of druggists’ sundries and ironmongery. They handled crucibles made of graphite, also called plumbago. They then opened a factory to make an American brand of crucible. They began on Garden Wharf (see below) but by 1872 had built a factory fronting on to Church Road with a large clock tower. They also took over other wharves to the east. They were now known as the Morgan Crucible Company. In the early 1900s they bought up the boatbuilding yard of the Thames Steamboat Company, Brunel’s sawmills (below), Phoenix Wharf in 1910, and also the old maltings site and eventually May and Baker (to the south).  They also set up subsidiaries abroad to supply a growing world market. At Battersea they built large-scale reinforced-concrete factory buildings, by Lewis Rugg & Company of Westminster. On Church Road was a 257ft chimney erected by Holloway Brothers to designs by L. G. Mouchel & Partners. In 1967 they decided to transfer production to a factory at Norton, Worcestershire and in Swansea. The site was left vacant until Wates Ltd took the site over for housing which was built in 1984.
The Battersea Mural: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. This was by Brian Barnes and also known as”Morgan’s Wall”. It was designed in 1976 and then painted with a group of local residents 1976 - 1978. The 276-foot wide mural was demolished in 1979 by the Morgan Crucible Company.

Brunel’s sawmills and army boot factory. This evolved from Marc Brunel’s project for the Royal Navy at Portsmouth from 1802. He intended to set up his own factory to serve the merchant navy. Here was built a sawmill with boiler and engine house. The business did well He then diversified into the manufacture of boots for the army – using production line methods rather than cobblers.  When peace came after the Battle of Waterloo there was no longer need for his boots with 80,000 pairs in stock. In 1814 the sawmill burnt down and were rebuilt. He then moved on to a decorative tinfoil business which again did well – but was widely copied.  By 1821 he was in a debtor’s prison and the whole works was bankrupt.
Watson. Brunel’s sawmills were taken over by John & James Watson & Co., sawyers and veneer-cutters, who remained in business there until about 1849. The remains of Brunel’s buildings appear to have remained in use and to have eventually been demolished with the rest of the site in the 1970s.
City Steamboat Company. This had been set up in 1845 with a steamboat service between London Bridge and Chelsea and used the pier and dry dock here. By 1875 it was part of the London Steamboat Company and was bankrupt by 1888. It was then taken over by the Victoria Steamboat Association which operated throughout the Lower Thames and which commissioned new vessels. In 1897 this was itself taken over by Arnold Hills, ever happy to spend his father’s fortune, along with most of the Thames piers, as an independent steam boat service. This too failed following a dispute with the New London County Council.

Ford Place
The area known as Fords Folly appears to have been home to other crucible companies – for example, Tatnall in 1878 and Duncan Clark’s Vulcan Crucibles in 1882.
Condy’s Fluid Company  . Henry Bollmann Condy was part of a business inherited a Battersea factory from Justus Bollmann. Resulting companies were Bollmann Condy and Co., Condy and Co., Condy Brothers and Co., Condy’s Fluid Co., and Condy and Mitchell Ltd. At first they made vinegar and later vitriol and disinfectant. Condy developed and patented "Condy's fluid" in 1857 which was used medically for various conditions including scarlet fever. This was made here till 1897 when the works was taken over by Morgan Crucible.
Philip Sandman. Sandman made vitriol here 1806–16. Speculatively he was a connection of the Perth based bleach company.
Bollman. In 1816 Justus Erich Bollman took over Sandman’s vitriol works where he made acids, pigments, and vinegar derivatives. Bollman was an adventurer who had spent many years n America and was involved in the refining of Platinum.
Foot & Co. They took over the Bollman works and made chemicals and colours there until the mid-1870s.

Garden Wharf
May and Baker They began as Grimwade, May & Pickett as suppliers to pharmacists of bismuth, camphor, ether and ammoniacal preparations. They were here 1841 - 1934 when John May and his two partners started a business manufacturing chemicals for pharmaceuticals. In 1839 May was joined by, William Garrard Baker - hence May and Baker. They May and Baker built a reputation for quality and eventually in 1889 it introduced its first drug, Sulphonal, a sedative. In the early 20th they were in an agreement with French, Poulenc Frères, to sell their products in the UK and were eventually owned by them. From 1928 this was Rhone-Poulenc. In the 1930s they developed the sulphonamide drugs and made then as well as anti-bacterials and anti-malarials, agrochemicals, photochemicals and fine chemicals. In 1934 they moved to Dagenham
E. Falcke & Sons They had been on this site from about 1823, when the Wilhelm Gottlob Falcke leased of land here.  Morgan took the site over in 1856 as their first site here and were trading as the Patent Plumbago Crucible Company. They added new kilns, factory-warehouses, chimney shafts and a wharf wall

Bartlett School. Survey of London. Battersea. Web site
Clements. Marc Isambard Brunel
Clow. The Chemical Revolution
Endoplasm. Web site
Grace’s Guide. Web site
Hansard online. Web site
Info. Late Patrick Hills
Morgan Crucible Co. Battersea Works