Sunday, 31 March 2013

Mymshall Brook. Dyrham Park Farm

The London/ Barnet/Hertfordshire border goes south east and crosses the Barnet By Pass

Post to the west Ridge 
Post to the south Dyrham Park 
Post to the east Dancers Hill
Post to the north Bignall's Corner

Rural area intersected by the A1

Mymshall Book
The Mymshall Brook flows north eastwards and is joined by a tributary from the west

Blanche Lane

Barnet By pass A1

Dyrham Lane
Dyrham Park Farm. dairy farm

St. Albans Road
Wash farm

Dyrham Park Farm. Web site

Mymshall Brook Dancers Hill

Mymshall Brook
The Mymshall Brook flows northwards

Post to the south Knightsland
Post to the west Dyrham Park Farm
Post to the north Mimms Wash
TQ 23360 99316

Interesting area as the old main road to Holyhead and its various by passes climb out of the metropolitan area. Plus some big houses.

Dancers Hill Road
This is referred to as Ryverstrete Lane in 1479, Reeves Street in 1604. Green Dragon Lane in 1750 and afterwards as Dancers Hill Road

Dancers Lane
Pre-Telford Holyhead Road goes through the village. This was once part of Wash Lane to the north, and its junction with Dancers Hill Road called Cuckolds Corner. 
Dancers Hill House. Built.1750-60. and remodelled since. Built for Charles Ross in stuccoed brick. There is a ground floor conservatory in the front. The grounds were laid out in the 18th with an avenue to the north.
Grotto. Late 18th and built of flint and limestone dry rubble. It is an irregularly shaped mound with many small openings. It is next to a small pond north east of the house.
Dancers Hill Farm. This is an L-shaped stuccoed house

Laurel Lodge Lane
Laurel Lodge. The original house was once called Wicks Place in 1708 owned by John Nicholl of Hendon Hall. In 1808 it was renamed as Laurel Cottage by Henry Heyman, and later the Trotters of Dyrham Park, who called it Laurel Lodge. It housed soldiers during the Second World War and was demolished in the late 1950s

St.Alban's Road
This was the Telford built replacement for Holyhead Road
Road Bridge.  Built in 1826, probably as part of Telford's road. It is brick with a 19th cast-iron plaque put up by County of Middlesex warning against use of "Locomotive Traction Engines and other ponderous Carriages".

British History Online. South Mimms. web site
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Webster. Great North Road

Mymshall Brook Knightsland

Mymshall Brook
Two tributaries flow into the Dyrham Park Lake, one from the south and one from the east. They exit as the Mymshall Brook, flowing northwards

Post to the west Dyrham Park
Post to the south Barnet
Post to the east Kitts End
Post to the north Dancers Hill

St. Albans Road
Knightsland Farm. The farm itself dates from at least the 15th. The farmhouse was cased in brick in the 18th   and it has a Timber frame.  Inside is a hall with a single long crosswing. There is linenfold panelling with 17th pilasters and an Original semi-octagonal stair with square newel post. There are wall paintings of about 1590-1610 on the first floor made up of 4 panels representing the parable of the Prodigal Son. It was the original home of Admiral Byng while Dyrham Park was being built.
Green Dragon. The pub was originally on Kitts End Road and called ‘Mandeville’ in 1623. It was renamed the Green Dragon before 1635 and to it was sold to George Byng in 1768. The pub was built about 1830 and had moved to a new site the St. Albans Road
Barns opposite the Green Dragon converted to housing. 17th timber framed and weather boarded, on a brick base.

Trotters Bottom
Gates to Dyrham Park. imposing gateway said to have been built as a triumphal arch in London to welcome Charles II on his restoration gateway, possibly built to celebrate the coronation of King Charles II. On top is a sarcophagus-like object with festoons and an urn
Two lodges .  Built 1790-1800 in brick with scrolls and central chimneys

British History on Line. South Mimms.
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Middlesex County Council. History of Middlesex

Duke of Northumberland's River. Mogden

Duke of Northumberland’s River
The Duke of Northumberland’s River flows north and then turns sharp eastwards

Post to the east Isleworth and Richmond Old Deer Park Riverside
Post to the south Twickenham Rugby

Clocktower Road
Trading Estate

Duke of Northumberland’s River
The river was diverted when the sewage treatment plant was built. It flows through the site above ground, apart from a short covered section near buildings. It provides cooling water for the power house. A public footpath runs alongside the river through the site

Mog is dialect in some areas for a long haired sheep
Mogden Sewage Treatment works. The plant treats the waste water of 1.7 million people in North and West London. It was opened in 1936 on the site of Mogden Farm. It is the second largest sewage works in Europe. The Purified waste water goes into the Thames at Isleworth Ait. There has been a Combined Heat and Power plant there since 1993 but electricity was generated from the start.

Redlees Park
Redlees House. This was a 19th house also called Hippesley House. In 1852 it was bought by Charles Farnell, one of the Farnell family who owned Isleworth Brewery from 1800. It was later renamed Redlees House.
The site of the park was once a gravel pit and part of the grounds of Redlees House. In the early 20th part of the area was used for tomato growing under glass and there were 21 large glasshouses here. The area was acquired by Heston and Isleworth Urban District Council and opened as a park in 1932. It included the usual facilities
Vineyard. This was planted in 1997 on old allotments. The wine produced has been called 'Redlees Rosé'
Stable block remaining from the house. This is now an Arts and Crafts Centre, with studios and a gallery. This includes a clock made by Charles Frodsham & Co. of The Strand, installed 1830-40.

St John’s Road
Isleworth Brewery Company Limited, 1866 - 1920. This brewery was originally Farnell and Watson's and later in 1923 became Watney Combe Reid and Co.  It became a bottling store in 1958. All buildings have been demolished.

Unwin Road
Rowe Community Centre. McElwain Hall for the Worton estate built in the 1930s

Woodlands Gardens
Pavilion. The road surrounds a garden area with a pavilion owned by Woodlands Estate Residents Freeholders’ Association (WERFA) and used by the local community and which dates from the 1930s. This was a market garden area built up by a developer from 1928. The central area was laid out with tennis courts, but it was undecided what its use should be and in 1931 it was purchased by the residents association.

Worton Road
Worton in 1274 meant is 'the herb or vegetable garden’. This was an industrial area with factory units from the 1920s. In the 1930s these included a Concrete Pipe Works, a Steel construction works, an engineering works and a wireless factory. Many sites along the road are now trading and industrial estates.
St Mary.  The London Diocesan Home Mission provided a priest for the area in 1931 using a hall which now adjoins the church. In 1951 parts of neighbouring parishes were assigned to the church. The church was designed by H. S. Goodhart Rendel and built in 1952-4 in brick,
Worton Manor. Late 18th house with mid C19 additions. Built in 1783, by merchants during the 1800s and 1839 the hall was gradually extended and almost totally rebuilt. In 1913 the house and nine acre estate was bought by film producer, George Berthold Samuelson, who turned it into a film studio.  It was known variously as Worton Hall Studios and Isleworth Studios. The ground floor was offices, property and wardrobe rooms, plus a projection theatre and canteen. The left wing held the dressing rooms for actresses while the right wing the dressing rooms for actors. It initially only produced silent films and was so successful that the hall was extended in 1916 Samuelson was forced to sell Worton Hall to British Screen Productions in 1928 to help pay legal expenses following a law suit with the American actress Betty Blythe. . It’s most notable film was The African Queen starring Humphrey Bogart and Katharine Hepburn. From 1936-44 the studios were owned by Criterion Film Productions, and afterwards by British Lion. After the Studio closed, the premises became a Mining Research Establishment for the National Coal Board which carried out research directed to improvement in the efficiency and effectiveness of mining methods.  In 1993, part of the building was leased by the Driving Standards Agency and continued to be used as the Isleworth driving test centre. Part of the site is used as an industrial estate.It is now an industrial estate.  It is converted into flats, with five houses behind,
128 Royal Oak. Built in 1843, the Royal Oak is near the Duke of Northumberland's River. It is very traditional with dark wood partitions, etched glass, and Old photos of local interest. It has a riverside patio.
Calico Mills. In the 18th there were two calico mills on the bridge by the Duke of Northumberland’s River. One, in 1805 owned by Samuel Gould and another, earlier by Ailby and Philpot.  

British History Online. Isleworth
Field. London Place Names
Flood. British Calico Printing Industry
Haworth. English brass and copper industry to 1800 1967
Kingston Zodiac
London County Council. Sewage Works. Leaflet
London Gardens Online. Web site
Middlesex County Council. History of Middlesex
Pevsner and Cherry. London  North West
Thames Water. Web site
Walford .Village London
WERFA. Web site.

Saturday, 30 March 2013

Duke of Northumberland's River - Twickenham Rugby

Duke of Northumberland’s River
The Duke of Northumberland’s flows north east and northwards

Post to the south Twickenham

Post to the east St.Margarets
Post to the north Mogden

Chertsey Road
All Hallows Church, The church has been here since 1940. The original All Hallows Church was on Lombard Street in the City of London. Christopher Wren designed it after an older church was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666.  In the 1930s structural defects were found and it was demolished except for the bell tower, which was transferred here. The church took over the parish of St Martin's Mission Church, which was in Twickenham and a mission of the parish church. The church here was designed by Robert Atkinson and opened in 1940 – with anti-aircraft gun fire being heard during the dedication service. Furniture and fittings also came from All Hallows and a font from St. Benet Gracechurch. Inside is a Renatus Harris 1695 organ, a sword rest for the Lord Mayor’s sword, a pulpit once used by Wesley and there are monuments from All Hallows too. The porch comes from the priory of St.John Clerkenwell and an oak gateway is preserved inside the tower, from the Lombard Street church decorated with skulls and crossbones. The reredos is thought to be the work of Grinling Gibbons. 

Mogden Lane
South Middlesex Hospital. This was originally The Mogden Isolation Hospital opened in 1898 by the Borough of Richmond and Heston & Isleworth Urban District Joint Isolation Hospital Committee for patients with infectious diseases.  It was on the site of a casual ward established on Great West Road by Middlesex County Council for tramps.  It had four single-storey ward, a huge kitchen and a Nurses' Home. In 1938 an administration block and a laboratory were built it was renamed the South Middlesex Fever Hospital. In the Second World War it was taken over by the Emergency Medical Service and expanded. The Hospital joined the NHS in 1948 and by 1953 it had 144 beds. In 1955 it became the Regional Eye Unit. It closed in 1991 with 72 beds. The site was sold and the money was used for the Chelsea and Westminster Hospital. The Hospital was demolished and the site redeveloped. 
Isleworth Ambulance Station

Summerwood Drive
Ivybridge Estate Council estate dating from the late 1970s.
Bridgelink Community Centre. This replaced the existing Langdale Centre
Langdale Centre. The original community centre refurbished for Hounslow Homes.
South Isleworth Children’s Centre
All Souls Ivybridge church. This started in 2004 with the intention of being a church for people who do not want to come to church.  It is mow a part of All Souls parish
Ivybridge Primary School

Whitton Dene
Whitton Dean was the name of a big house to the west of this section of the road.
Queens Bridge – bridge over the Duke of Northumberland’s River. 
Queens Mill. In the 1580s John Brode a London goldsmith, who had been experimenting with brassmaking usingrough copper set up a battery works here consisting of 'divers working houses, melting hearths, waterworks, furnaces and other engines with great bellows, stampers and other preparations meet and necessary to be used for the handling of the works of the making, melting and casting of metals'
Cardinal Vaughan School Playing Fields. The School is at Shepherd’s Bush and uses these fields for sports, and the field is also used by their Old Boys.

Whitton Road
Twickenham Rugby Union Football Ground, Twickenham Stadium. Sometimes known as The Cabbage Patch. It was first opened in 1909 This is the it is the second largest stadium in the UK after Wembley Stadium and the fifth largest stadium in Europe ad is the home of Rugby Football Union. It has recently passed its centenary here. In 1907 a market garden was bought and the first stands constructed. During the Great War the ground was used for cattle, horse and sheep grazing. King George V unveiled a war memorial in 1921. Also in 1921 a stand was built above the northern terrace, with workshops placed underneath and in 1927, there was an extension to the East Stand and changes to other stands were undertaken.  In 2002 a new south stand included a hotel with 156 rooms. Six VIP suites, a performing arts complex, a health and leisure club, a rugby shop etc. The Stadium has also hosted pop concerts and religious meetings.
The World Rugby Museum tells the history of the sport
Rowland Hill memorial gate; Coade Stone lion from Lambeth Brewery

All Hallows. Web site
Clunn. The Face of London
Day. Bristol Brass
Field. London Place Names,
London Encyclopaedia
Lost Hospitals of London. Web site
Middlesex County Council. History of Middlesex
Pevsner and Cherry. South London 
The Kingston Zodiac
Twickenham Stadium. Wikipedia web site.
Walford. Village London

Friday, 29 March 2013

River Crane - Isleworth

River Crane.
The River Crane flows northwards and into the Thames.
The Duke of Northumberland’s River flows eastwards and into the Thames

This posting relates only to sites north of the river. South of the river is Richmond Old Deer Park Riverside

Post to the south St. Margaret's
Post to the west Mogden
Post to the north Isleworth

Byfield Road
Kingdom Hall of the Jehovah’s Witnesses. The hall was registered by them in 1942
Butler’s Almshouses. Built and endowed by Elizabeth Butler in 1885. Designed by G.H. Boundaries, for the Isleworth United Charities Trust in red brick. Inside the porch is a tablet with inscribed ‘These alms houses were erected and endowed by Elizabeth Butler as a thank offering to God October 24th 1883’.

Church Street
Isleworth Manor Mill. This was behind Church Street and dated from, at least, the early middle ages.
Isleworth Flour Mill was destroyed by fire in 1795. There had been flour mills here since the 16th
Samuel Kidd took over the rebuilt mill in the early 1800sand in 1846 added two steam engines. As Kidd’s Mill, it was bought by Rank in 1934 and immediately closed and then demolished in the 1940s. Its site was an area of woodland to the east of Silverhall Park and some new housing.
6 Holland House.  18th house with a 1840’s façade
20 Riverside Mill House. New flats

Duke of Northumberland's River
In the early Middle Ages this was a stream called The Bourne
This is an artificial watercourse dating from the 16th to improve the flow of water to mills.
Wooden bridge, dating from the 1980s
Wider section of the river as it nears its junction with the Thames

Gumley Gardens
Gumley House Convent School. The school began in Gumley House, in 1841. This is a large brick mansion built about 1709 by John Gumley, glass manufacturer, cabinetmaker who specialised in mirrors, one of which still hangs in Hampton Court Palace and two in Chatsworth House, Derbyshire. He had a shop in the Strand, lived in Isleworth, taking an active part in local life. He became MP for Steyning in Sussex and was Commissary General. In 1795 the house was sold to Benjamin Angell a Wiltshire Quaker chintz printer and dyer. In 1841 it was sold to Madame d’Houët. She was the founder of the Faithful Companions of Jesus and she turned Gumley House into two Catholic schools - a boarding school for the wealthy and a day school for the poor. In 1890 St Mary's High School was opened followed by more buildings. The school became an approved secondary school and was the first Catholic School in Middlesex to be recognised by the Board of Education. In the 1960s the school no longer took boarders.

Harcourt Close
Harcourt Cottages. These are managed by the Old Isleworth Housing Cooperative. This started in 1985 but dates back to the 1960s when a group of young people came together through the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament and local Folk Clubs and looked for practical co-operative solutions for some of their needs. The Freeman Syndicate was set up to and then the Middlesex Housing Association in 1969.  They were involved with a number of projects. In 1982 Speyhawk Property developers negan redevelopment of Old Isleworth MHA secured a deal for new, Government subsidised, affordable housing. Their second scheme was Harcourt Cottages. These were built next to Sermon’s Almshouses which got a Civic Trust Award. These appear to be on the site of a previous Methodist church.

Hartland Road
Mission opened by H. W. P. Richards was vicar of Isleworth 1855-88 in 1878 for parochial and charitable work. In 1916 the mission was attached to the parish church. It was rebuilt in 1922 and part of the building was used as a church hall in 1958.

Herons Place
Private estate which stands behind Nazareth House and built in what were the grounds

Isleworth Ait
Island where at low tide the river retreats, leaving a land bridge across to the island and the Romans are said to have crossed the Thames here in AD 54. This was once four islands but the channels between them have silted up. It is now owned by Thames Water. The Metropolitan Water Board bought it from the Duke of Northumberland in the 1930s. Because of the importance of its wildlife sites it is managed by the London Wildlife Trust – there is a colony of Hairy German snails and of the Two-Lipped Door Snail
B.J. Woods, boatyard and floating dry docks
Swimming pool. In 1859 the Duke of Northumberland permitted a swimming pool to be built on the island for school children. No remnants of this remain.
Penstock sluices. In 1935 the embankment on the eastern side was raised and the sluices were installed to discharge treated sewage from Mogden Sewage works.

Kilmorey Road
Clifton Lodge. Detached villa, Built between 1852 and 1865 in Italianate style. The ground floor front rooms probably include the remains of a 19th orangery belonging to Twickenham Park. It is now home to the Rambert School of Ballet and contemporary dance. Marie Rambert began teaching in London in 1919 and founded the Rambert School which, was based at Notting Hill Gate. Out of it grew Rambert Dance Company. By the late 1970s Ballet Rambert found it had grown away from the and thus founded the present School at Twickenham. In 1981 this School became part of the West London Institute of Higher Education. This was subsumed into Brunel University in 2001 and in 2003; the School became independent of the university.
Violet Needham Chapel. Violet Needham was a children’s writer, the granddaughter of the Earl of Kilmorey, and she died in 1967.  This chapel is clearly older and was built when the site was part of the Royal Naval Female School. They fund raised for a chapel, built in 1867, and this could be it.

Lion Wharf Road
Lion Wharf.  River transportation companies operated from here, including Morgan’s from 1929.  They handled among other things used to land timber, clay, rubber - for the Firestone factory - coal and chemicals. Gunpowder was handled for the Curtis and Harvey mills on Hounslow Heath.  The site included quayside cranes and a travelling crane
Lion tug built for Morgan’s in 1937 and operated from here. Still afloat as the Caroline.
Lion Wharf. New buildings by Broadway Malyan, 1987.  Post-modern in style
Shrewsbury House, This mansion was in the area of Lion Wharf which was one time called Beck's or Shrewsbury Wharf. There is said to have been a Catholic chapel there since 1675Around 1778 it was converted to a school for Roman Catholic boys. The house was demolished by 1810. The house is also said to have burnt down in 1795. In 1798 the Shrewsbury Place buildings were demolished and a free-standing chapel provided by the Earl of Shrewsbury, one of the first to be built under the 1779 Act. A school for poor boys was 1854, and this included a new chapel which was still there in 1958, when it was used as a store.
Crane. A small crane is located on the riverside as a sculptural feature.

Lower Square
Lawrence Parade. Modern development of shops, flats, and offices. Built in 1988 by Broadway Malyon.
10 Northumberland House. Housing in what was the Northumberland Arms pub. It was built for H. Limpus in 1834, the licence being transferred from the Phoenix Inn nearby. In 1837 it was leased to John and Charles Farnell of the Isleworth Brewery. Beer was served here to river workers and the latest prices for goods trading through Isleworth Dock were displayed.  The name changed to The Duke of Northumberland in 1981 and then to The Inn on the Square. It closed in 1983.
Blue School.  This was the old town school which was founded as a charity school for boys in 1630 and was called Blue School because of its blue uniforms. It moved to another site in the late 19th but the school buildings were used by the primary until 1939.  It is a free-standing building which looks rather like a market house, designed in 1841 by C.F. Maltby, in pale brick. Originally it had with open arcades on the ground floor and a little turret with a clock. After the school left it became a factory bringing in an income which was used to support the North Street School.
John Day House. Stone-fronted 18th house named after the Day family who were doctors and surgeons and residents in the house...

Manor House Way
Site of the medieval manor house

Mill Plat
The name reflects that this was a mill site. It means a small piece of flat ground.
Ingram's Almshouses. These were founded in 1666 by Sir Thomas Ingram, Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, Lord Mayor of London and earlier owner of the house later belonging to the Duke of Shrewsbury. Six single storey red brick almshouses with a bed sitting room a kitchen and bathroom and, at the back, a garden. There is a central pediment with inscribed stone tablet surmounted by arms and a motto
Silverhall Neighbourhood Park. This was formerly the grounds of a 17th house in North Street house called Silver Hall built by John Smith which was demolished in 1801. It was named for called Silver Oliver who was the son of an 18th owner. A replacement was built in 1813 by William Farnell, owner of Isleworth Brewery on the north side and was used by the Vicar of All Saints Church until 1855. From 1880 it housed a Carmelite Convent which had who had moved here from Fulham Carmel.  They moved out in 1908 and the house remained empty until 1914 when it was let and in 1917 rented to Miss Palmer for a boarding school. It was last known as Collingwood College and was derelict by the 1940s and demolished in the 1950s. The Duke of Northumberland's River runs through the park.
Nature Reserve. The northern part of the park is managed as a nature reserve, with the formal park on the south side. Trees include sweet chestnut, yew, oak, and a pocket handkerchief tree.
Icehouse. There are remains in the grounds.

North Street
5-6 British Legion Club
Silverhall Gates. John Smith was created a baronet in 1694 and his arms are on the gate piers.
The Blue School. This is now a local authority primary school. The school originated in the building now in Lower Square where the name was established. In 1870 the girls' department was moved to North Street from there. In 1939 the boys too were transferred to North Street and the school continues there.

Percy Gardens
Tower block of flats which dates from the 1960s
Arm of the Duke of Northumberland’s River. east of here was by 1851 the only evidence left of the moat of the original medieval manor-house.  
Moated Manor. This belonged to the Crown from 1312

Percy Road
Twickenham Academy. This was formerly Whitton School and is now sponsored by the Swedish company Kunskapsskolan.
Whitton School. Opened in 1959

The name of Railshead dates from at least the early 15th and is thought to refer to broken stakes at Isleworth Weir. These could still be seen in the early 20th
Weir. This medieval weir was called Isleworth Weir and it was broken down by 1538 and rebuilt later. It was much complained of by local fishermen as were illegal weirs to catch lampreys. .
Railshead Bridge. The first bridge over the Crane here carried the road to Twickenham and was a footbridge. In the mid 17th a brick bridge to take coaches was built
Rails-head Ferry still existed in 1959; over sixty years after the nearby footbridge had been built. It had been established in Isleworth the end of the reign of George III and carried pedestrians and carriages to Sheen. Until the mid-18th the south bank towpath ended here and barges were towed on the north Middlesex bank to Twickenham Ait where it switched again to the other side. Towing was by men, and latterly with horses. Nearby was a premises called “The Ferry House”.  In 1959 the ferry was operated by a Con Dargon.
A pottery was established here by Joseph Shore from Worcester in around 1750 at the mouth of the Crane. The buildings straddled both the current scout site and that of Isleworth House. The main part was probably in the part still in Nazareth House grounds and excavations show floor surfaces and walls from the pottery buildings. There were 23 small houses and a stable as well as the house, pottery and yard. The pottery was red earthenware, sometimes decorated with brown zig-zag slip and yellow glaze. The works consisted of 2 kilns, one for biscuit and one for glazing. In 1825 it moved to Hounslow and closed around 1850. Later the site was used a parish rubbish tip
Waterside Business Centre on the site of an earlier works
Thistleworth Marine. This is a residential co-operative marina at the mouth of the Crane. It dates from 1973. It includes houseboats, barge conversions, Humber keels and Dutchmen, narrow boats, lifeboats and a twin engined diesel yacht converted from an Admiralty steam harbour launch.

Richmond Road
The road originally ran along the riverside but was diverted by Sir William Cooper to its present route.
Stock brick wall. This surrounds the seven acres of Nazareth House and curves along the road to the junction with South Street and Lion Wharf Road.
Nazareth House Gatehouse. Built in the 19th single storey with Doric columns around the doorway
Isleworth House, later known as the White House. In 1832 rebuilt by Edward Blore for George III's chaplain, Sir William Cooper. White stuccoed mansion with an Italian campanile and bow windows. Cooper enlarged his grounds both by buying up and demolishing houses to both the north and south of the estate and by diverting Richmond Road. There are some original fitting inside
Service range – this was built at the same time as the house. This includes a stable with a courtyard and a clock turret.
Nazareth House. The Poor Sisters of Nazareth, founded in the mid 19th in Hammersmith renamed Isleworth House and established a convent and old people’s home here in 1892. Closed in 2002 because of a shortage of nuns.
Red House.  This faces Richmond Road gates and was built for the nuns as Nazareth House Industrial School for Roman Catholic Girls in 1899 for 120 girls'. Thus closed in 1922 and became a children's home which closed in 1985 and became a residential home for the elderly, Closed in 2002
Chapel in red brick built in 1902. This is next to the stables and also links to the house. Over the door is a niche with statue of Mary. Inside are a Marble Altar and an arcade to the nuns' choir. Designed by Pugin and Pugin.
Burial ground – part of the convent complex
Ice house. One-storey octagonal building, latterly used for poultry. There were other garden buildings
Sewers. In 1938 Middlesex County Council placed sewers under the Nazareth House grounds taking the effluent from Mogden sewage works to the outfall on Isleworth Ait.
Elements Scout Network. Third Osterley Sea Scout Group was set up in Spring Grove, Osterley as a land scout group. Moving to the riverside they became the Third Osterley Sea Scouts. The group moved around originally from churches to other accommodation. In 1943 they were able to erect an asbestos hut on some of the land of Nazareth House and they eventually bought the site in 1950. A Nissen hut was acquired and various bits of equipment and boats. Sea rangers also used the facilities. The group has continued to flourish and expand ever since.
Gordon House. This was probably built around 1720. It is a grand two storey brick house with lavish features and fronting onto the river. Some of the inside designed by Robert Adam and there are many decorative features and a grand oak staircase. Adam also undertook alterations to the house in 1758. It was originally called Seaton House and later purchased by William IV for his daughter, Lady Augusta FitzClarence, who later married Lord John Frederick Gordon. It was later owned by T.C. Haliburton and then by Lord Kilmorey in 1865 who carried out extensive alterations. It then became the Gordon House Girls Home which was a certified Industrial School for 60 girls founded by the London School Board.  The school closed in 1921 and the buildings were taken over by The Royal Naval Female School. In 1946 it was taken over by the Maria Grey College moving here from Fitzroy Square. This was a women’s teacher training college which in 1976 merged with others to become the West London Institute of Higher Education. In 1995 this became part of Brunel University. Over the time of its institutional use many ancillary buildings were put in place.   The site was sold when the department moved in 2005
Grounds. Within the grounds is a large plane tree, an orangery and a mound
Tunnel. The Earl of Kilmorey is said have built a tunnel from here to his mausoleum which is now to the south in St. Margaret’s Road. The tunnel itself was plastered and painted with a green trellis design.
Gate house. Stone eagle carving and the stylized 'K' design of Lord Kilmorey, on the house itself.
Coach and Horses. This was on the north side of the road opposite Railshead. It disappeared in the 20th.

River Crane
The Crane has been described is the only remaining true tidal natural tributary of the Thames; others having been piped or have weirs. The present course is not original. It was slightly diverted during the 19th and now runs at right angles to the Thames.

Shrewsbury Walk
Commemorates Shrewsbury Place, where the Duke of Shrewsbury, an ex Catholic, died in 1718.
1 Sunvil Holidays. This was originally built as a bank, latterly Barclays

South Street
Isleworth War Memorial. In the form of a clock tower. Erected in 1922 and designed by A. P. Green, built by Keates and Company of Hampton, in honour of the 386 Isleworth men killed in the First World War. There is an inscription about payment by public subscription and it’s unveiling. The Clock was supplied by. Gillett and Johnston of Croydon. Another memorial slab to 1939 – 45 war dead is on the south steps.
79 Foundry Cars. Site of Winterborne Foundry where William Winterbourne was in business into his 90s.
St Mary’s Catholic Church school. A Roman Catholic school for poor children was a girls' school of St. Mary's, started by the nuns of Gumley House in 1841.  This had its own building by 1844 and a mixed infants' department in 1889. In 1922 to a building previously used by the private convent school. A Roman Catholic boys' school moved to Shrewsbury Place in 1855. In 1908 the boys' school moved with the church to Twickenham Road 1908 on land given by the Misses Saunders of Silver Hall. It is now a primary school for boys and girls.
22 The King's Arms. This pub was established before 1853. It was rebuilt in 1898 and closed in 2005. Now demolished. 
The Blue School New Hall. Used by the school in the day and community use in the evening,
Isleworth Public Hall. Reading Room, built in 1863 with a public hall added in 1887-8 designed by S Woodbridge In brick. Inside the entrance hall is a tessellated floor and a marble Boer War memorial. In 1872 a local baths association built a small swimming pool and slipper baths was built at the rear of the reading room. A new reading room was built to commemorate Queen Victoria's golden jubilee in 1887 and the hall was built with money Subscribed and pomade by a partner at the Kidd's Flour Mill. This was initially a private library until 1904 and then a public library until 1936. In the Second World War it was a British Restaurant.

St Johns Road
Isleworth Working Men’s Club

St Margaret’s Road
Lacy House. This was a 17th house rebuilt in 1750 for James Lacy, of Drury Lane Theatre. His son inherited the property but he sold to Edward Walpole and it later came into the ownership of playwright Richard Sheridan, Lacy House was demolished in the 1830s. It was replaced by St Margaret's House built by the 1st Marquis of Ailsa. Thus was replaced by Kilmorey House 1853 Built for 2nd Earl of Kilmorey by Louis Vulliamy. It became the Royal Naval School for Girls in 1856 until 1940 when it was destroyed by bombing. The site of the house was within the area of the campus of what was later Brunel University.  The walls of the house lie along the east side of the road.
Main entry gate and gate house to St. Margaret's House with reclining lion statues and on the house moulded stone work 'K' design of Lord Kilmorey

Swan Street
House of Lord Grey of Warke lay on the south side of the street in in 1695.
1 Swan Inn. Pub which is a Fuller Smith and Turner house.
Town Wharf. This was a general wharfage area where boats from as far away as Scandinavia berthed.  Cargos were mainly wood and coal but there were also barges with ice.
Town Wharf. A large modern pub with terraces by Hunt Thompson Associates. This is a Sam Smith's house.
Thames House

Twickenham Road
Running parallel to the river this is the A 310 which takes traffic to Twickenham, Teddington and beyond. It was part of the King's Highway to Hampton Court
Sarah Sermon's Almshouses, built in 1849 it consists of six one-storey homes in polychrome brick. They were built and endowed by Mrs. Sarah Sermon.
114 The George. With a 18th brick front of four bays and a cornice below gables. Gay pub.
146 The Isleworth Health Centre, NHS SNH
158-160 Holme Court, a substantial house of 1700 with three storeys, and rubbed brick surrounds to the window. Van Gogh taught here when it was a Methodist boys' boarding school run by the Reverend J.S. Jones. In 1876 and there is a plaque to him. It later became Holme Court Truant School, established in 1891 by the Chiswick & Heston School Boards. This complex of buildings is now flats
Congregational Church. The first Independent congregation in Isleworth was registered in 1798. A place of worship for Congregationalists is mentioned in 1831, and in 1849 a chapel at the corner of Worton Road was opened.
A British school was attached to the congregational church it from 1840 to the 1880. It was in a building behind the chapel and was closed following inspections
Methodist church. Built in 1924. Now gone, seems to be the site of Harcourt Cottages.
Isleworth Recreation Centre. This is the site of Isleworth Pools opened in 1939.
Library. The library is now an integral part of the Leisure Centre and called something like Fusion.
Our Lady of Sorrows and St. Bridget of Sweden.  In 1909 a new church was built next to the South Street Boys' School. It was paid for by Mrs. Macdonnell of Nazareth House. A bell tower was added to the church in 1927 and a parish hall in 1931. The dedication to St. Bridget is a reminder of the local Brigantine nun’s house. The church was built to the design of F. Doran Webb by Erwood and Morris of Bath. It is of brick and stone oolitic limestone from a quarry near Bath. The street facade has a large low-relief sculpture of the Crucifixion and in the arch over the front door is a relief depicting the Annunciation. When the church was designed, provision was made for a bell tower which was not built until 1927. The bell is a memorial to two late Victorian writers, Katherine Bradley and Edith Cooper, who used the joint pen name of Michael Field.
Isleworth Explorers Boys' Club began in 1960 as a small club for meeting once a week in the hall of Isleworth Town Primary School. The Rotary Club of Isleworth obtained the lease of land in Twickenham Road and with funding from the Middlesex Association of Boys' Clubs the new club was opened by Simon Dee in 1969. In the 1980s there were girls there too. In 2008 the club underwent extensive renovation
Mogden House. Early 18th house in brick

Upper Square
18 Castle. Young’s pub which dates back to the late 18th
Drinking fountain to the memory of Henry Glossop, Vicar of All Saints' Isleworth who lived here 1822-1855

Worple Road
Old Police Station. This is now housing.
Worple Primary School. The school originates from a school started by the local authority in 1897
The Victoria Tavern
Lissenium Works. Lissen Ltd originated in Goldhawk Road, Shepherd's Bush, in  1924 founded by a Mr., Cole in 1922 as a Manufacturer and retailer of parts for radio receivers including audio transformers, variable resistances and rheostats. In the late 1920s they became involved with Ever Ready and taken over by them in the 1930s and they were wound up after the Second World War.

British History Online. Twickenham
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Field. London Place Names
Grace’s Guide. Web site
Gumley House School. Web site
Isleworth Explorers. Web site
Isleworth. Wilkipedia web site
London Borough of Hounslow Web site
London Gardens Online. Web site
Lost Hospitals of London. Web site
Old Isleworth Housing Co-operative. Web site
Osborne. Defending London
Our Lady of Sorrows. Web site
Stevenson. Middlesex
Thames Discovery. Web site
Third Osterley Sea Scout Group. Web site
Twickenham Academy. Web site

Monday, 25 March 2013

River Crane. St. Margarets

River Crane
The Crane flows northwards and is met by a tributary from the west

Post to the south Twickenham and Ham Street Riverside
Post to the north Isleworth and Richmond Old Deer Park Riverside
Post to the west Twickenham Rugby
Post to the east Richmond Central and Riverside and Twickenham Park

Ailsa Road
46 modern movement house built 1935 by Couch & Coupland of Richmond.   

Amyand Park Road
The road is said to be named after Claudius Amyand who came to England as a refugee and became a surgeon and in 1735 he performed the first appendectomy
Amyand Park Chapel. Reformed Evangelical Baptist Church. This was founded in 1889 when 42 bought three plots of land here and built a corrugated iron structure. Those who came to the first service had to bring their own chairs and umbrellas. A new building was opened in 1952

Bandy Close
This is the name of the area running along the railway which to the north is Moormead Recreation Ground. It was vested in the Parochial Schools whose trustees sold it as a public recreation ground

Baronsfield Road
In 1263 a group of barons led by Simon de Montfort gathered in Twickenham Park to persuade Henry III to accept the Provisions of Oxford which placed the government in the hands of feudal lords, hence the name

Bridle Lane
The Old Stables, housing and workplace units in old stable block.

Chertsey Road
Globe Works.  This art deco factory building appears to have been known the Winchester Works. Grigg Motorcycles were in a Winchester works in this area in the early 1920s – but this factory must post date the arterial road built in the early 1930s. The Grigg works may have lain behind houses demolished for the road.  Post war it was used by Bell and Howell the US film equipment manufacturers – or their G B branch, eventually owned by Rank.

Cole Park Road
Stephen Cole was a local brewer whose family lived and brewed locally from the 18th, Cole Park Road reflects this family name.

Crown Road
16a Crown Works. Now converted to housing

Downes Close
Site of Ailsa Park Villas. Of the original ten houses only one remains.  Others were either demolished for the railway or damaged by bombing in the Second World War. In 1838 Dickens family rented number 2.

Haliburton Road
All Souls Church. Built 1896-8 by E. Monson in Red brick. Inside is a war memorial. It replaced a temporary iron church dedicated to Saint Margaret, which had been used since 1886.  The church was closely connected with Christian socialist Stewart Headlam who in old age lived locally and preached at the church. There is a memorial and a plaque to him in the church.

London Road
Ivy Bridge.  This bridge is over the tributary stream to the Crane and was ‘Mother Ivey's Bridge' this is Cornish for Eve and is on the ram's feet, similar name at Glastonbury
Ivy Bridge Retail Park
137 Neville House. This was probably built in 1725, by Captain William Lister of the Foot Guards.  Thomas Twining II acquired it in the mid-19th. It was converted into flats in 1953. 
Drill hall. Air Force Cadets and Air Training Cadets. A new timber hall was recently built to replace an existing Air Force Cadet hut and Nissan huts dating from 1945

Moor Mead Road
Moor Mead Park. Moor Mead was the name of the area north of Bandy Close and used as the recreation ground. To create it the river Crane was diverted to the west. The park is part of River Crane Walk. It has sports areas with a 20th pavilion. It has a cricket club and tennis courts leased to private club.
Moormead Bridge. Built 1902 over the Crane with a commemorative plaque installed by the Cole Park Residents Association.

Northcote Avenue
Northcote Avenue Recreation Ground. Sports area.
Carnegie Hall. Hounslow Furniture recycling project

St. George's Road
Part of the St. Margaret’s Estate
Pleasure gardens. The largest of the three ‘pleasure gardens’ lies between here and Ailsa Road. A lake remains together with some remain of 18th landscape planting. This lake was dug for drainage in the 15th. There are also two iron bridges with segmental arches and a mound at the south end. A number of London planes planted by Batty Langley in the 18th remain near the lake.

St Margaret's
This area was once part of the Twickenham Park estate. There was a big house here in the 1560s with formal gardens once owned by Francis Bacon. He sold it in 1608 to the Countess of Bedford who built a new house and laid out a formal garden, possibly designed by Salomon de Caus. The park was broken up in the early 19th
St. Margaret’s Estate was laid out in the 1850s after the Ailsa Park lands were purchased by the Conservative Land Society and built in the grounds of St Margaret House as a garden suburb by their Architect and surveyor George Morgan. The original design was for family houses laid out around three ‘pleasure gardens; preserving some of the existing gardens between The Avenue and the river. A Trust was set up in 1854 to look them. Housing varies on the estate and some villas are faced with stone patented by architect John Taylor.

St. Margaret’s Road
107 St Margaret's Tavern. This was originally a Temperance hotel, The Lord Lyon, changing in 1881. After a period as a station pub, it has been extended and restyled
St.Margaret's Station. Opened in 1876 it now lies between Twickenham and Richmond on South Western Trains. It was opened by the London and South Western Railway on the line from Waterloo to Windsor.
130 St Margaret of Scotland.  Ruthlessly simple Roman Catholic Church by Williams & Winkley built in 1968. Forticrete concrete block walls, with steel trusses supporting flat roofs. An ingeniously compact plan, based, on a series of rectangles. . A hall can be opened up to the main church at the back and the vestries are below. There is patent industrial glazing apart from two stained glass windows Patrick Reyntiens, the latter an abstract rendition of the Second Coming.  The weekday chapel has Stations of the Cross, and a figure of Our Lady by Lindsay Clarke. Over the altar is a crucifix by Stephen Sykes, a memorial to Father Sidney Dommerson, who commissioned the church and who died within a few days of the building completion. This is the first church by Austin Winkley, who was a member of the New Churches Research Group, founded in 1957 to promote a modern idiom appropriate to the ideas of the Liturgical Movement. Bringing the clergy and laity closer together the Second Vatican Council in 1962-5 saw the acceptance by the Roman Catholic Church of many of the movement's ideas,
134 Downes House.  Stuccoed and built in 1830 it is a contrast to the church next door. Associations with Dickens.  Tile-hung flats in the front garden.  
263 Ailsa Tavern. The pub dates from 1856
Kilmorey Mausoleum. Egyptian style pink and grey mausoleum for the Francis Jack Needham second Earl of Kilmorey.  It was built in 1854 by Mr. Kendall and brought to its present location later. Supposed to be in Brompton Cemetery but he took it around with him.
Kilmorey Wildlife Garden – this surrounds the mausoleum

The Avenue
The earliest houses on the St.Margaret’s estate. Some have a stucco trim and the later ones colourful decorative brickwork

The Barons
Ice rink
Twickenham Film Studios. This is on an old ice-rink site and was opened in 1913 by Ralph Jupp as The London Film Company and was then the largest studio in the UK. Following use by a number of other companies in 1929 it was owned by Julius Hagen and Leslie Hiscott and renamed Twickenham Film Studios. RCA Photophone equipment was installed in order to make talkies. A new stage was added in 1934. The old building was burnt down in 1935 plus all the cameras and equipment.  In the Second World War the Studios took a direct hit from a bomb, and suffered much damage. In 1946 Alfred Shipman formed Alliance Film Studios Limited, controlling the studios and many big box office pictures were made. Guido Coen established Coenda Films, making over a dozen feature films. Then in 1959 Kenneth Shipman formed Bryanston Films making many successful films. The studios were then redeveloped with, in 1961 a new modern recording theatre. Landmark films were made. The studios expanded with Novello Lodge, comprising ten large cutting rooms and eight offices. Richard Attenborough maintained a suite here and Richmond Lodge was built for production offices in in 1975. In 1986 a new Sound Centre was opened   as well as a new theatre. The Studios still continues to build on previous successes

Winchester Road
This was once called Turks Lane
St. Stephens Church of England School. This was opened in 1876 under government inspection and a second building opened in 1896. The older building was demolished
Turks Head pub. On the façade are plaques to William Gomm & Son, Beehive Brewery, Brentford. It is now a Fullers house. It was built in 1902. It has music and a comedy club,
St Margaret’s Works. Tamlin Poultry Products which produced items like wire netting, 1930s-1940s
St Margaret’s Works. Kinco, part of British Metal (Kingston) Ltd, moved here in 1930, and continued until c1963. They continued production of Kinco wares until the outbreak of war in 1939 when they switched to making labels, nameplates and other printed or engraved items for aircraft, etc. The firm moved to new premises in Witney, Oxfordshire and was bought out in 1984. The name 'Kinco' is abbreviated from Kingston-on-Thames

All Souls Church. Web site
Amyard Park Chapel. Web site
British listed buildings. Web site
CAMRA Twickenham. Web site
Field. London Place Names
London Gardens Online. Web site
Middlesex Churches
Pevsner and Cherry. South London,
Pevsner and Cherry. . London North West
Stevenson. Middlesex
Twickenham Museum. Web site
Twickenham Studios. Web site
Walford. Village London,
Wikeley and Middleton, Railway Stations, Southern Region,