Duke of Northumberland's River. Mogden
The Duke of Northumberland’s River flows north and then turns sharp eastwards
Post to the east Isleworth and Richmond Old Deer Park Riverside
Post to the south Twickenham Rugby
Duke of Northumberland’s River
The river was diverted when the sewage treatment plant was built. It flows through the site above ground, apart from a short covered section near buildings. It provides cooling water for the power house. A public footpath runs alongside the river through the site
Mog is dialect in some areas for a long haired sheep
Mogden Sewage Treatment works. The plant treats the waste water of 1.7 million people in North and West London. It was opened in 1936 on the site of Mogden Farm. It is the second largest sewage works in Europe. The Purified waste water goes into the Thames at Isleworth Ait. There has been a Combined Heat and Power plant there since 1993 but electricity was generated from the start.
Redlees House. This was a 19th house also called Hippesley House. In 1852 it was bought by Charles Farnell, one of the Farnell family who owned Isleworth Brewery from 1800. It was later renamed Redlees House.
The site of the park was once a gravel pit and part of the grounds of Redlees House. In the early 20th part of the area was used for tomato growing under glass and there were 21 large glasshouses here. The area was acquired by Heston and Isleworth Urban District Council and opened as a park in 1932. It included the usual facilities
Vineyard. This was planted in 1997 on old allotments. The wine produced has been called 'Redlees Rosé'
Stable block remaining from the house. This is now an Arts and Crafts Centre, with studios and a gallery. This includes a clock made by Charles Frodsham & Co. of The Strand, installed 1830-40.
St John’s Road
Isleworth Brewery Company Limited, 1866 - 1920. This brewery was originally Farnell and Watson's and later in 1923 became Watney Combe Reid and Co. It became a bottling store in 1958. All buildings have been demolished.
Rowe Community Centre. McElwain Hall for the Worton estate built in the 1930s
Pavilion. The road surrounds a garden area with a pavilion owned by Woodlands Estate Residents Freeholders’ Association (WERFA) and used by the local community and which dates from the 1930s. This was a market garden area built up by a developer from 1928. The central area was laid out with tennis courts, but it was undecided what its use should be and in 1931 it was purchased by the residents association.
Worton in 1274 meant is 'the herb or vegetable garden’. This was an industrial area with factory units from the 1920s. In the 1930s these included a Concrete Pipe Works, a Steel construction works, an engineering works and a wireless factory. Many sites along the road are now trading and industrial estates.
St Mary. The London Diocesan Home Mission provided a priest for the area in 1931 using a hall which now adjoins the church. In 1951 parts of neighbouring parishes were assigned to the church. The church was designed by H. S. Goodhart Rendel and built in 1952-4 in brick,
Worton Manor. Late 18th house with mid C19 additions. Built in 1783, by merchants during the 1800s and 1839 the hall was gradually extended and almost totally rebuilt. In 1913 the house and nine acre estate was bought by film producer, George Berthold Samuelson, who turned it into a film studio. It was known variously as Worton Hall Studios and Isleworth Studios. The ground floor was offices, property and wardrobe rooms, plus a projection theatre and canteen. The left wing held the dressing rooms for actresses while the right wing the dressing rooms for actors. It initially only produced silent films and was so successful that the hall was extended in 1916 Samuelson was forced to sell Worton Hall to British Screen Productions in 1928 to help pay legal expenses following a law suit with the American actress Betty Blythe. . It’s most notable film was The African Queen starring Humphrey Bogart and Katharine Hepburn. From 1936-44 the studios were owned by Criterion Film Productions, and afterwards by British Lion. After the Studio closed, the premises became a Mining Research Establishment for the National Coal Board which carried out research directed to improvement in the efficiency and effectiveness of mining methods. In 1993, part of the building was leased by the Driving Standards Agency and continued to be used as the Isleworth driving test centre. Part of the site is used as an industrial estate.It is now an industrial estate. It is converted into flats, with five houses behind,
128 Royal Oak. Built in 1843, the Royal Oak is near the Duke of Northumberland's River. It is very traditional with dark wood partitions, etched glass, and Old photos of local interest. It has a riverside patio.
Calico Mills. In the 18th there were two calico mills on the bridge by the Duke of Northumberland’s River. One, in 1805 owned by Samuel Gould and another, earlier by Ailby and Philpot.
British History Online. Isleworth
Field. London Place Names
Flood. British Calico Printing Industry
Haworth. English brass and copper industry to 1800 1967
London County Council. Sewage Works. Leaflet
London Gardens Online. Web site
Middlesex County Council. History of Middlesex
Pevsner and Cherry. London North West
Thames Water. Web site
Walford .Village London
WERFA. Web site.