River Crane Whitton
The Crane flows north west and the Duke of Northumberland’s River diverges from it to the North.
Post to the south Fulwell
Post to the east Twickenham
22-24 The Ritz Cinema was built for London & District Cinemas, owned by Major W.J. King and Opened in 1937. A Crompton organ installed in 1937 – this was the ex-Coliseum Harrow instrument plus a muted trumpet and a new console in 1937. In 1939, it was taken over by a local independent operator and in 1944, by the Oscar Deutsch chain of Odeon Theatres and re-named Odeon in 1945. It was closed by the Rank Organisation in 1961. The building stood empty and unused until it was demolished in 1972. An office building named Fourways House was built on the site, which included a branch of a bookmakers on the ground floor.
Whitton Station. Opened in 1930 this lies between Feltham and also Hounslow westwards and Twickenham eastwards on South Western Trains. The line through Whitton was opened in 1848 by the Windsor, Staines and South Western Railway when they built a line to Datchet. soon after they became part of the London and South Western Railway and in 1923 part of the Southern Railway. As part of a scheme to open stations in rapidly suburbanising areas Wotton was opened. The station is thus a classic Southern structure with steel canopies and pre-cast concrete platforms.
Great Chertsey Road
The Winning Post Pub with music hall next door.
In 1930 Twickenham Borough Council acquired farmland for a new recreation ground, using an established bathing place on the river Crane. The park was opened in 1931 with sports pitches, pavilions, a children's play area, and riverside walk with new trees and shrubs. It is now part of the linear Crane Park which following the river.
The Duke of Northumberland's River leaves the Crane in Kneller Gardens. Named after the court portrait painter, Sir Geoffrey Kneller, who lived locally
Crane Community Centre
Kneller Girls' School. Opened in 1936 at the railway end of the Meadway site. The numbers were increased with the transfer of girls from the Stanley Road School. In 1978 the school relocated to Fifth Cross Road.
Trafalgar Day Nursery. Part of Trafalgar School
141-145 Whitton Branch Library. Circular red brick
123 Admiral Nelson. Fullers pub
Admiral Nelson. Web site.
Cinema Treasures. Web site
Jackson. London’s Local Railways
London Borough of Richmond. Web site
London Gardens Online. Web site
Waldegrave School for Girls. Web site.