Posts

Showing posts from October, 2009

The London/Hertfordshire boundary - Pinner Wood

TQ 10 92 The London, Hillingdon/ Hertfordshire boundary goes across Watford Road and continues going east to cross Potter Street where it meets the Harrow boundary. The London/Harrow/Hertfordshire boundary goes along South View and the southern edge of the wood. Post to the west Northwood Post to the east Pinner Wood Sites on the London, Hillingdon side of the boundary Elgood Avenue Gate End Gatehill Road 1 The Old Farmhouse Willow End Hillside Road Monk's Rest , a 1924 Ideal Home show house by Blunden Shadbolt, who specialized in picturesque creations made up from old buildings, in this case from Old Friar's House, Horley. Now a car dealers. Locally listed Eleventrees, Amisto, Willow Cottage, Chelstan, Balblair, White House, Green Island Lodge, Pedwardine, Highcroft, Rivelin, Lane End, Heatherlaw Seven Acres Eleven houses built in the 1980s on land once belonging to 17th Gate House Farm. Grassed roundabout and “Tudor” style. Shefton Rise Wieland Road

The London/Hertfordshire border - Northwood

TQ 09 92 The London, Hillingdon/ Hertfordshire boundary goes south east along the north of Morgan Close and then along Mount View Post to the north Northwood Post to the east Pinner Wood Sites on the London, Hillingdon side of the border Carew Road 1905 suburban developments Frank Carew Frithwood Primary School 4, 7, 15 Arts and Crafts 5 - 9 c1910. Pair of houses by C.H.B. Quennell in the “Arts and Crafts” style. Frithwood Park Cervantes Court The only road named after this writer in London and one of a group of ‘cultural’ road names, Cullera Close Spanish influenced design Frithwood Avenue 2, 5 Arts and Crafts 17, 19, 20 Arts and Crafts 24 Arts and Crafts Hallowell Road St Matthew RC St John's Presbyterian Church . Founded 1905. This was used as a VAD - Voluntary Aid Detachment - hospital during World War 1. Chalk well , shaft under a lawn with some sort of cap on it Northwood & Pinner Liberal Synagogue In 1966 they moved to a former Methodist h

The London/Hertfordshire border - Northwood

TQ 09 93 The London, Hillingdon/ Hertfordshire boundary goes east crossing Lodge Way and the railway. It crosses Eastbury Road and Eastbury Avenue turning south east Post to the west Northwood Post to the north Hampermill Post to the south Northwood Sites on the Three Rivers, Hertfordshire side of the border Eastbury Avenue Pockinlington House residential care home. 10-16 24-28 Arts and Crafts houses 20, 21, 22,232, 24 impressive Arts and Crafts houses Rofant Road St.Helen’s School

The London/Hertfordshire border - Northwood

TQ 08 93 The London, Hillingdon/ Hertfordshire boundary goes east down Batchworth Lane but leaves it to go south east and cross Kew Ferry Road and goes between the Playfield Field and the Swimming Pool and continues Post to the west Batchworth Heath Post to the east Northwood Sites on the Three Rivers/Hertfordshire side of the border Batchworth Lane Coal post on the south side in the hedge Grove Park Farm Moor Park Estate Very posh. Lots of up market 1920s and 1930s houses. Moor Park Road St.Martin’s School . Opened 1922 in Sandy Lodge Way ands moved here in 1924. Other property bought locally through the 1920s and building continued to the present day. Fee paying prep school. Sites on the London, Hillingdon side of the border Kewferry Road Coal post on the boundary footpath north side,200 yards east of the road in the grounds of St.Martin’s School

The London/Hertfordshire boundary - Batchworth Heath

The London, Hillingdon/ Hertfordshire boundary goes north east up White Hill but at the end of a line of trees it turns east to Farm Road. TQ 07718 92382 Area of heathland, woods and fields - mainly actually very posh and exclusive golf courses. Faux country pubs, and, surprisingly, a chalk mine. Post to the east Northwood Post to the south Mount Vernon Sites on the Three Rivers, Hertfordshire side of the boundary Batchworth Heath 14 Prince of Wales . Lap dancing and private table dancing. Batchworth Heath Hill Howard Spring Whipping Spring Batchworth Heath Farm stud farm since the 1980s Ye Olde Greene Manne - chain pub with a huge garden. Allegedly dates from 1728 and also visited by Dick Turpin. Appears in the film “Genevieve’. Home Farm Grigg’s Field , derelict quarry. Considered as a waste tip. Coal duty post at the point at which the road name changes on the west side outside the Prince of Wales Batchworth Lane The junction is the site of a scene in the fil

The London/Hertfordshire boundary - Mount Vernon

TQ 07 92 The London, Hillingdon/ Hertfordshire boundary turns north east from Scrubs Lane and goes up White Hill. Post to the east Batterswells Post to the north Batchworth Heath Sites on the London, Hillingdon side of the border Jackets Lane Battlers Wells Wood Sites on the Three Rivers, Hertfordshire side of the boundary White Hill Coal post at the junction with Jackets Lane French Grove Lockwell Wood Lockwell House used in episodes of ‘The Professionals’ Mount Vernon Hospital Built on the northern part of the Northwood Park Estate after it was sold in 1902. French chateau style. The hospital was founded in 1860 as The North London Hospital for Consumption and Diseases of the Chest in Fitzroy Square and soon after moved in Hampstead, moving again to Northwood in1904. In 1967 the Marie Curie Hospital for women cancer patients also moved here from Hampstead. A number of breakthroughs in cancer treatment have been pioneered here. Art Nouveau church . The Chapel was co

The London/Hertfordshire Border - Battlerswells

The London, Hillingdon/ Hertfordshire boundary goes in a south easterly direction crosses a path, crosses a path to Harefield Farm. It meets Shrubs Lane and continues south east down it. TQ 06426 91877 Area to the south of Rickmansworth with areas of woodland, much of it preserved. Scattered farms and posh houses built on farm sites and mainly now in office and similar use. Post to the east Mount Vernon Sites on the London, Hillingdon side of the border Northwood Road Old Reservoir Top Wood Pearsons Wood Slaley Sikora Harefield Reservoir The Toll House , listed / Sites on the Three Rivers/Hertfordshire side of the border Shrubs Road/Woodcock Hill Coal post . 200 yards south west of Woodcock Hill Farm and 300 yards west of Battlers Wells Farm Harefield Grove Farm . In 1684, this was once called Guttersdean Farm. In the 19th exotic fruits and vegetables were grown here in over 100 greenhouses with 50 miles of hot water piping. The house is grade II listed house 18th

The London/Hertfordshire border - Woodcock Hill

TQ 05 93 The London, Hillingdon/ Hertfordshire boundary goes in a south easterly direction from the edge of High Wood, crosses a path, goes down the south western boundary of Sixteen Acre Spring, crosses a path, crosses Rickmansworth Road and goes down the south western edge of Willingrove Wood. Post to the west Springwell Post to the north Stockers Sites on the London,Hillingdon side of the border Cooks Wood Footpath from Stockers Farm to Hill End Coal post Springwell Lane Crips Farm. cottage house, barn, 17th Sites on the Three Rivers. Hertfordshire side of the border Harefield Road Wood Cock Cemetery . Owned by Three Rivers Council – can do traditional,Muslim, and woodland burials. Garden of Remembrance. Shepherds Close Dell . Woodland buriel site Woodcock Hill Rickmansworth Road Willinggrove Wood Sixteen Acre Spring Wood

The London/Hertfordshire border - Stockers Lake

The London, Hillingdon/ Hertfordshire boundary goes northwards along the River Colne but leaves it to go south east across Stockers Lake, crossing the Grand Union Canal and going down the western edge of Garret Wood and High Wood. River Colne The Colne flows southwestwards Post to the west Maple Cross Post to the south Springwell Post to the east Stockers Sites on the Three Rivers, Hertfordshire side of the border Grand Union Canal Coal post bench mark halfway between Stockers Lock and Springers Lock Drayton Ford Rickmansworth and Uxbridge Water Works built here in 1888 Uxbridge Road Mill Stream Lodge Sites on the London, Hillingdon side of the border Garret Wood High Wood River Colne The Colne rises near Hatfield, flowing to the Thames at Staines. It is shown as ‘Coleneo’ in 785, and ’Colne’ in 894. It is an ancient ore-Celtic river name of uncertain origin and meaning found in several parts of the country – ie with the River Colne in Essex. Colne means, &#

The London/Hertfordshire border - Maple Cross

The London, Hillingdon/ Hertfordshire boundary goes northwards along the River Colne River Colne The Colne flows southwards Post to the north Rickmansworth Shepherd's Lane Post to the south Maple Cross Post to the east Stockers Lake Post to the west Rickmansworth Bottom Wood Sites on the Three Rivers/Hertfordshire side of the border Denham Way Woodoaks Farm . Grazing and arable with some derelict orchards owned by the Findlay family. in 1160 it as recorded as Woodwicks. On site is an Elizabethan garden wall, although a 16th barn had been moved when the farmhouse was rebuilt on the cellars of the medieval house. The farm is near the Colne and used the water meadows for grazing. In the 1930’s and 40’s the farm took over Shepherds Lane Farm and Long Lane Farm but the water meadows were sold off. There was a cherry orchard until the 1960’s but this now pastureland for the cattle. Froghall Farm Uxbridge Road Longlane Farm . Part of Woodoaks farm since the 1950s. Sou

The London/Hertfordshire border - Maple Cross

The London, Hillingdon/ Hertfordshire boundary goes northwards along the River Colne River Colne The Colne flows southwards Post to the north Maple Cross Post to the east Springwell Post to the south West Hyde Post to the west Maple Cross Sites on the Three Rivers, Hertfordshire side of the border Denham Way West Hyde Playing Fields Hertford Place. Offices – include Cadbury The Cross Pub. An old pub which has been there longer than the Maple Cross estate that it now serves. It was a Salter’s of Rickmansworth public house as early as 1770, although it has been rebuilt Rivers Office Park – include Renault, This area was water meadows belonging to Woodoaks Farm. In the 1930’s and 40’s the the water meadows were sold off and later became an industrial estate as the end of working with horses meant the need for less grazing Long Croft Road Maple Cross and West Hyde Community Centre Maple Cross. An area of predominately local authority housing. Maplelodge Close

The London/Hertfordshire border - Springwell

The London, Hillingdon/ Hertfordshire boundary goes northwards along the River Colne The London, Hillingdon/ Hertfordshire boundary goes along the western edge of High Wood in a south easterly direction River Colne The Colne flows southwards Post to the south Hill End Post to the west Maple Cross Post to the east Woodcock Hill Post to the north Stocker's Lake Sites on the London, Hillingdon side of the border Grand Union Canal Springwell Lock . Location for Dr.Who. Springwell Lane Bridge Springwell Lane Pipe Bridge Springwell Lane Sewerage Pipe Bridge - Concrete bridge is over drainage from the sewage works Sewerage Farm Marina Watercress beds there were many miles of beds alongside the canal, although most are now disused. River Colne The Colne rises near Hatfield, flowing to the Thames at Staines. It is shown as ‘Coleneo’ in 785, and ’Colne’ in 894. It is an ancient pre-Celtic river name of uncertain origin and meaning found in several parts of the countr

The London/Hertfordshire border - Harefield

The London, Hillingdon/ Hertfordshire boundary goes northwards along the River Colne River Colne The Colne flows southwards Post to the south Black Jack's Mill Post to the north Springwell Post to the west West Hyde Sites on the London, Hillingdon side of the border Grand Union Canal 1-4 Riverside Cottages . 19th listed. White cottage, 19th listed. originally for canal workers. Water from the canal is diverted through the mill before Coppermill lock. Milestone, showing that it is 77 miles to Braunston Bridge over a spillway which carries excess water from the canal to the River Colne, Bridge over the entrance to a moorings basin. Pipe bridges, the second of which has a water depth gauge on the far side to regulate water in watercress beds. Watercress beds there were many miles of beds alongside the canal, although most are now disused. Coppermill Lane Royal Quay . Mill area and ancillary building converted to housing and light industry. 1990s reworking

The London/Hertfordshire border - Harefield

TQ 04 91 The London, Hillingdon/ Hertfordshire boundary goes northwards along the River Colne The River Colne flows southwards Post to the west Troy Mill Post to the north Hill End Post to the south Harefield Black Jacks Lane Sites on the London/Hillingdon side of the border Black Jacks Mill. The mill stood on an island between the river and the canal. Victorian building 1870 now a posh BandB. Used as a location for Dr.Who and The Bargee. This is a Domesday mill site. Iron foundry Jacks Cottage : Grade II listed thatched cottage beside Black Jack’s Lock. It is thought that it was built by Simon Eversden in the 15th It has many chimneys and was used as a boundary marker for Middlesex. In the 19th it was part of a coal wharf. One chimney stack is original but its thatch and present lay out are 20th. It was the home of Ann Todd and ‘Basil Brush’ was filmed here. Dry dock built in 1995. Horse Shoe Bay Black Jack’s Lock. Used as a location in The Bargee. Coppermill D

The London/Buckinghamshire/Hertfordshire border - Troy

The London, Hillingdon/Buckinghamshire boundary goes northwards along the River Colne but also meet the border with Hertfordshire. The London Hillingdon/Hertfordshire border continues northwards up the River Colne. The River Colne flows southwards Post to the south Tilehouse Lane Post to the east Harefield Post to the north West Hyde Post to the west Chalfont Old Shire Lane Sites on the Three Rivers, Hertfordshire side of the border Old Uxbridge Road Troy Mill . Corn mill, a branch of the canal was built to it in 1802. In industrial use Troy Farm. The abbey of St. Albans was granted La Troy. It since belonged to King's College, Cambridge. Marble factory Troy Mill barge repairers West Hyde House Pynesfield Lake Stream which was for watercress beds North Troy Lake. Troy Lake. Owned by Rickmansworth Sailing Club who bought it from Portland Cement in 1959. Long Life Lake Sources British History on Line. Harefield. Web site Rickmansworth Sailing Club. Web si

The London/Buckinghamshire border - Tilehouse Lane

. The London, Hillingdon/Buckinghamshire boundary goes northwards along the River Colne The River Colne flows southwards Post to the north Troy Post to the east Harefield Moor Sites on the Buckinhamshire side of the border Tilehouse Lane Halings House . Used as a WAAFF hostel in the Second World War. It was later bought by the aerodrome owners but they were unable to use it because of covenants. It has since has become Denham Nursing Home. Frequently used as a location in Dr.Who and Torchwood episodes. Great Halings Wood Northmoor Hill Wood. Now a nature reserve. The wood has a network of pathways and some swallow holes. The wood consists of oak and beech trees, with alder in the wet areas. Wyatt’s Covert. Mobile Home Park., The TileHouse. Modern house was clearly on the site of an older house. Little Halings . Home of Mike Oldfield in the 1980s. Garden created in the 1920s by Gertrude Jekyll. Pumping House Lesser Halings. New posh housing Coster’s Cottages Lodg

The London/Buckinghamshire border - Harefield Moor

The London, Hillingdon/Buckinghamshire boundary goes northwards along the River Colne The River Colne flows southwards Post to the west Tilehouse Lane Post to the north Black Jack's Mill Post to the south Harefield Moor Sites on the London, Hillingdon side of the border Broadwater. Access via a derelict area which was the plant area for the gravel pits. The lake is 80 hectares and supports a number of wooded islands. Around the edge are remnants of the original alluvial grasslands and valley alderwoods rising to beech and hornbeam woodland to the west. Broadwater Lake supports important numbers of waterbirds. Since there has been a natural colonisation by typical wetland plants and animals. Grand Union Canal Widewater winding hole River Colne Is the most natural feature of the site and it has a meandering channel in parts with some pools. Long Pond Harefield Pit, This chalk pit was used as a landfill site and was filled by approximately 30 years ago, it has a

The London/Buckinghamshire border - Harefield Moor

The London, Hillingdon/Buckinghamshire boundary goes northwards along the River Colne The River Colne flows southwards Post to the north Harefield Moor Post to the south Denham Station Sites on the London, Hillingdon side of the boundary Harefield Moor. There were many areas of wet grassland to the west of Harefield parish used by local people as pasture and related activities. Gravel diggings in the past centuries have left the area largely as a series of shallow lakes with wildfowl and leisure activities. Moor Hall Road Moor Hall. Named from a farm marked as ‘Moor Hall’ on the Ordnance Survey map of 1822, earlier ‘More Holle’ 1301, ‘Morhalle’ 1339 in reference to Harefield Moor. This was a cell of the Clerkenwell Hospitallers and a stone hall from around  1220 survived here as part of the farm. The road was laid out in 1813 following enclosure. Throughout the 19th an industrial area grew up around the canal - small factories, lime-kilns, copper mills and coal wharves ju

The London/Buckinghamshire border - Denham

The London, Hillingdon/Buckinghamshire boundary goes northwards along the River Colne The Colne flows southwards TQ 04656 87974 Upmarket area with attractive village including homes of the famous Post to the north Harefield Moor Post to the east Denham Post to the west Denham Place Post to the south Denham Sites on the London, Hillingdon side of the border Altcar Covert Widows Cruise Covert Sites on the Buckinghamshire side of the border Buckinghamshire Golf Club. Centred around Denham Court Denham Country Park South of the railway line. Savay Lane Coal post was by the bridge over the Colne. Moved Coal post now outside Savay Farm House Savay Farm . This was the sub manor created in the 12th as the manor Denham Durdent. The moated manor house was known as The Savay.  It is a 14th hall house with a first floor inserted in 16th. It has a timber frame with red brick nogging in a two storey H plan. Inside there are murals from 1606 showing the second chapter of

The London/Buckinghamshire border - Denham

The London, Hillingdon/Buckinghamshire boundary goes northwards along the River Colne The River Colne flows southwards Sites on the London, Hillingdon side of the border   TQ 0419087746 Area with many amenities for the surrounding area Post to the west Denham Station Post to the south Denham Lock Flagmoor Covert Harefield Place Golf Course Lakes managed by Hillingdon Wildlife Group Harefield No.2 Pit. Hillingdon Outdoor Activities Centre which was originally Hillingdon Sailing Base. Owned and managed by London Borough of Hillingdon. The anglers don’t like it. Dewe’s Farm. Many worked flint implements found, plus flakes and so on indicating industrial production. Now a haven for bikers racing Stream through the area of the farm from Batteswell. Dewe’s Dell The Alders Pumping Station Waste Transfer site. Uxbridge Skip Hire Hanson Premix, cement production. Railway Line Denham West Junction was immediately to the east of the Grand Union Canal Viaduct. This was f

The London/Buckinghamshire border - Denham

TQ 05 87 The London, Hillingdon/Buckinghamshire boundary goes northwards along the River Colne The River Colne flows southwards and intercepts with Frays River at Denham Lock. Frays River then goes southeastwards. The Colne is also met by the River Misbourne from the west. TQ 0553079471 An area which is generally more wetland than suburb Post to the north Denham Post to the south Willowbank Post to the west Denham Sites on the London, Hillingdon side of the boundary Cowmoor Covert Denham Lock Deepest lock on the canal. Part of a conservation area. Fran’s Tea Garden Denham Lock Wood- A Wildlife Trust site which varies from alder and crack willow to marshy areas of reed with sedges lining the dykes. It is a diverse area of open mire and wet woodland which occurs only rarely. The site is low-lying and poorly drained on the floor of the Colne Valley with the water table is at or near the soil surface Fray's Farm Meadows lie between the River Colne and Fray's Ri

The London/Buckinghamshire border - Willowbank

TQ 05 86 The London, Hillingdon/Buckinghamshire boundary goes northwards along Frays River but leaves it going north east on an erratic course, probably of Shire Ditch, to cross Western Avenue and the Grand Union Canal to join the River Colne The River Colne flows southwards and another stream diverges between this and the Canal. Frays River goes southwards Post to the north Denham Lock Post to the south Uxbridge Post to the west Denham Roundabout Post to the east Swakeleys Roundabout Sites on the Buckinghamshire side of the border Alder Glade Owned by HMTBC on stretch of disused railway line Grand Union Canal Denham Farm Bridge Oxford Road/Western Avenue Bridge Pipe Bridge Frays Junction Railway Line The line between Denham and Uxbridge High Street ran on the west side of Frays River and Shire Ditch. This was an Great Western extension opened in 1907 and closed to passengers in 1939 The Western Arterial Road was built across the line in 1939. Sanderson Roa

The London, Buckinghamshire boundary., Uxbridge

The London, Hillingdon/Buckinghamshire boundary goes northwards along the River Colne. It crosses the Oxford Road and then crosses the Grand Union Canal and cuts across the end of Braybourne Close to meet Frays River which it follows northwards The River Colne flows southwards Frays River flows southwards Post to the south Uxbridge Post to the west New Denham Post to the east Uxbridge Common Sites on the London, Hillingdon side of the boundary Atwells Yard 19th buildings Beasley’s Yard Named after the Revd Thomas Ebenezer Beasley 1763-1824. Watts Hall , restored in 1982. The hall began as the Old Meeting House, a Congregational church of 1716 and the only substantial nonconformist chapel built in Middlesex at that date. It was built by William Thurbin. However the roof, front, and tower date from 1883 by Sulman. Belmont Road Uxbridge Bus Garage . This came into use in late 1983 replacing a garage in Oxford Road and is on the lower ground floor of a larger building.

London/Buckinghamshire boundary. New Denham

TQ 85 04 The London, Hillingdon/Buckinghamshire boundary goes northwards along the River Colne The River Colne flows south westwards Post to the east Uxbridge Post to the south Uxbridge Moor Post to the north Denham Roundabout Post to the west Dromenagh Sites on the Buckinghamshire side of the boundary Alder Bourne Knighton Way Lane Brickfield Farm Field Cottage New Denham QuarryMineral extraction and processing plant 2009. With associated plant, lagoons, and other areas. New road and roundabout in Denham Road. Sites on the London, Hillingdon side of the boundary Riverside Way Uxbridge Moor Nature Reserve . Between Frays River and the Colne, managed by London Wildlife Trust. Part of a chain of habitats along the Colne near the urban centre of Uxbridge. Where the Colne divides is an island of willow wood with elder and hawthorn, and impenetrable brambles. Part of the area is open grazed fields Sources Buckinghamshire County Council. Web site Citywildspace Lon

London/Buckinghamshire border. Uxbridge

The London, Hillingdon/Buckinghamshire boundary goes northwards along the River Colne Alder Bourne Comes down to join the Colne, having passed under the motorway junction The River Colne flows southwards and is met by the Alder Bourne from the north east The Colne Brook diverges from the Colne in a southward direction Post to the north New Denham Post to the south Cowley Post to the east Uxbridge Post to the west Iver Heath Sites on the London, Hillingdon, side of the boundary Canal Uxbridge Wharf - Uxbridge Boat Centre, formerly Fellows Morton and Clayton, canal carriers, with dry dock and an open sided boat-building shed, perhaps of the 1880s, with iron-truss timber roof-beams of a full 80 ft span, allowing narrow boats to be launched sideways into the canal. Canal Bridge - there is a Second World War pill box under the bridge alongside the canal Cowley Mill Road Mills on which Uxbridge’s wealth was founded Imhof's. Factory built 1961 by Taylor and Green. A