The London/Buckinghamshire border - Harefield Moor and Denham Studios
The River Colne flows southwards
Post to the north Harefield Moor
Sites on the London, Hillingdon side of the boundary
There were many areas of wet grassland to the west of Harefield parish used by local people as pasture and related activities. Gravel diggings in the past centuries have left the area largely as a series of shallow lakes with wildfowl and leisure activities.
Moor Hall Road
Moor Hall. Named from a farm marked as ‘Moor Hall’ on the Ordnance Survey map of 1822, earlier ‘More Holle’ 1301, ‘Morhalle’ 1339 in reference to Harefield Moor. This was a cell of the Clerkenwell Hospitallers and a stone hall from around 1220 survived here as part of the farm. The road was laid out in 1813 following enclosure. Throughout the 19th an industrial area grew up around the canal - small factories, lime-kilns, copper mills and coal wharves just north of Moorhall
Moorhall Cottages. Built in the 19th as part of a growing industrial area around the hotel.
Pumping Station and reservoir. Two boreholes
Widewater Lock and conservation area on the canal.
Harefield Lake. An old gravel pit used as a commercial carp fishery. 45 acres.
Korda Lake. So called because it was next to the Korda film studios
Harleyford Aggregates. Chalk pit
Horse and Barge also known as the Halfway House alHH
Sites on the Buckinghamshire side of the border
North Orbital Road
The name given to a piece of road proposed as a road ring round London in 1937 by Sir Edward Lutyens and Sir Charles Bressey for the Ministry of Transport under Hore Belisha.
Broadwater Park Industrial Estate - on the site of the old film studios
Denham Laboratories - film processing works. Although the original company has gone there are still film processing laboratories in the area.
London Film Productions Studios. Had been The Fishery. London Film Productions Studios were built in 1936 for Alexander Korda. They were designed by C. S. and E. M. Joseph with F. Milton Cashmore, in collaboration with Korda's friend Jack Okey, who came over from Paramount's Studios, Hollywood. Denham was the birthplace of many famous British films. Demolished 1980-1. The main frontage, which contained the administration offices and dressing rooms, restaurant and cafeteria. It was 1,000 feet long. There were seven studios of vast dimensions, four of which were 250 feet by 120 feet and 45 feet high. The stars reached these studios by glazed and heated covered ways leading from their dressing rooms. The studios were equipped to accommodate all types of lighting and insulated for the best acoustic results available for sound recording. Air extract chambers were at the rear of the studios. The 'rushes’ of such great Korda films as Wuthering Heights and Henry VIII would have been viewed in the Rushes Room here by their makers.
Ranston Covert. Ancient beech wood on a steep slope
Anglers Forum. Web site
Denham Film Studios. Wikipedia Web site
Horse and Barge. Web site
Maggot Drowners Forum. Web site
Middesex County Council. A History of Middlesex
Motion Picture Photography. Web site
Osborne. Defending London
Sabre, Roaders Digest. Web site
Walford .Village London