The London, Hillingdon/Buckinghamshire boundary goes northwards along the River Colne
The Colne flows southwards
TQ 04656 87974
Upmarket area with attractive village including homes of the famous
Post to the north Harefield Moor
Post to the east Denham
Post to the west Denham Place
Post to the south Denham
Sites on the London, Hillingdon side of the border
Widows Cruise Covert
Sites on the Buckinghamshire side of the border
Buckinghamshire Golf Club. Centred around Denham Court
Denham Country Park
South of the railway line.
Coal post was by the bridge over the Colne. Moved
Coal post now outside Savay Farm House
Savay Farm. This was the sub manor created in the 12th as the manor Denham Durdent. The moated manor house was known as The Savay. It is a 14th hall house with a first floor inserted in 16th. It has a timber frame with red brick nogging in a two storey H plan. Inside there are murals from 1606 showing the second chapter of Exodus in Jacobean costume. There are three cast iron firebacks, two of them Tudor. Oswold Moseley commissioned alterations from Clough Williams Ellis – only when Moseley was there is was ‘Savehay'
Bridge over the River Colne in the grounds of The Savay. The date of 1762 is given on a stone panel. It is red brick with 3 semi-circular arches.
Barns, at The Savay. Range of barns from the 18th. Timber framed and weather-boarded. There are two projecting cart entrances to each range.
Gate Cottage. 19th in colourwashed brick.
Denham Station. 2nd April 1906. Between Denham Golf Club and West Ruislip on Chiltern Railways line to Marylebone. Great Western Railway and Great Central Railway Joint Line to Marylebone. Opened as ‘Denham Junction for Uxbridge’. Stop on line between Gerrards Cross and Uxbridge – now closed.
An old word for a small plot of land.
Misbourne Cottage. This is a 16th timber-framed house.
Old Forge and Garage. This is a 17th timber framed building. On the ground floor are modern glazed doors, and there is an addition to form the entrance to the garage.
Blacksmiths Cottage. A 16th timber franed building which was originally 3 cottages.
Falcon Cottage. 17th Timber-framed brick house
The Falcon. Traditional pub retaining many 16th-century features, overlooking the village green. Stone steps to the front door lead into a cosy bar. This is an 18th building in brown brick with three barge boarded dormers and a hanging inn sign on wrought iron brackets.
Denham Place Gates
Tudor Restaurant. 18th building.
The Old Bakery. This has a 14th open-hall houae with later alterations. It is timber framed and clad in red brick.
Yew tree between the Old Bakery and Melgan
Spinning Wheel, 17th house
Roseneath, 17th house
Melgan Cottage. This house is a 17th brick building on a timber frame. It appears to be 19th but at the side is its exposed timber-frame
Walter the Abbot. An old cottage rebuilt in the 20th
Swan Pub. This is a timber-framed building probably 17th but later re-fronted in brick. Hanging inn sign and covered in wisteria.
Green Man. Appears to be built of brick but inside is timber-framing. It is an 18th building in red brick;
Forsters. This is a 17th timber-framed building plus a ground floor shop front with a wooden board over the door
Denham Gallery. Brick house of 1810
Da Remo. This is the tallest building in the village with three storeys, plus an attic and cellar
Ashbys. This was once the Black Donkey pub and is a 18th brick building
Wrango Cottage. This has an 18th red brick garden wall.
Mull Cottage. The carriage entrance, between this and Green Cottage leads to the Cherry Wood works. It is a 17th house refronted in the 18th in red brick.
Green Cottage. This is a 17th red brick house
Old Cottage. A half-timbered building, with an unevenly-shaped front. Reputedly the oldest cottage in the street it is 16th, timber-framed with over-sailing gable
Swan Cottages - Wisteria Cottages. Row of 3 cottages refronted in the 18th in brown brick with rubbed flat red brick and an eccentric chimney
Wrango. An 18th gentleman’s residence set back and in a spacious plot.
White Cottage. This was once the Eight Bells Pub and a 17th building. It was the home of painter William Nicholson who moved here after his secret marriage in 1893. He joined brother-in-law, James Pryde, with a business making posters William’s son, Ben Nicholson was born here and become the foremost modernist painter of his generation
Fayrestead. This was at one time four cottages it is now one 17th timber-framed house
Hills House. Home of John Mills. It is a brick 17th house
Village Green. This is a 20th green on land given by Herbert Ward after the demolition of Island Cottages. There is a plaque on Denham Place wall
Bowyer House. The Bowyer family built and endowed this as the Bowyer Charity School in 1721. There is a plaque above the central door which says "In the year of Our Lord 1721, This Charity School was Erected by Subscription of ye Inhabitants of this Parish and Other well disposed Persons and is perpetually Endowed by Sir William Bowyer Bart, of Denham Court with Thirty Pounds Pr. Annum. Go and Do Likewise"
Cedar Cottage and Cedar Tree Cottage. 17th building altered and refronted. It is in red brick over a timber frame. There is a dramatic black and white pattern on the end.
Rose Cottage. Plain house in early 19th century Regency style
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Buckinghamshire County Council. Web site
Buckinghamshire Golf Club. Web site
Coaltaxposts. Web site
Day. London Underground
Denham Station. Wikipedia. Web site
Domesday Reloaded. Web site
Walford. Village London.