TQ 77 04
The London, Hillingdon/ Buckinghamshire boundary continues northwards up the west side of the M25.
The Longford River diverges from the River Colne and flows south along the line of the Perimeter Road.
The Duke of Northumberland's River flows southwards along the line of the Perimeter Road.
The River Colne flows south eastwards
Post to the south Stanwellmoor
Post to the west Poyle
Post to the north Harmondsworth
Post to the east Longford
Sites on the London, Hillingdon side of the border
454 Phoenix House
576 with a side extension which was Longford Baptist Chapel and this are described on a plaque.
550 Longford Guest House redbrick building 18th.
Kings Arms the mid 19th
Weekly House. Named after the owners and now offices. It dates from the early 17th and was once part of the farmyard of H. J. Wild and Sons with the farmhouse on the other side of the yard.
Ash Tree Cottage 18th
Weekly Barn. Grade II listed 17th weather boarded with tiled roof
Wall. Listed 17th red brick.
Queen's Bridge. Marked as Queens Bridge on the Ordnance Survey map of 1816, earlier 'Quenebryg' 1450, 'the queen's bridge', from Old English 'cwen' and 'brycg'. The queen referred to is unidentified, but may be Isabella, wife of Edward II (1307-27).
Mad bridge. Disused. Carried the Bath Road over the Wraysbury between Longford and Poyle. Marked thus on the Ordnance Survey map of 1816-22, earlier ‘Madebryggeford’ c.1380. ‘Mad bridg’ 1686, that is 'bridge by the meadow', from Old English.
MilestoneKing's Bridge. Crosses the artificial Longford River. Marked thus on the Ordnance Survey map of 1816-22, it is one of the bridges on the site of-the long ford' that gave name to Longford. King may be a surname but the bridge is Crown Property and says so on plaques on three sides at the centre with the monogram “W R 1834" and a crown. There was a fourth plaque which was stolen in the 1970s and replaced with a replica. The bridge has cast iron parapets with lattice work panels, and a sluice gate. The road way is carried on cast-iron plates.
Moor Bridge. Marked thus on the Ordnance Survey map of 1816-22, earlier ‘Moor Bridge’ 1720, named from the moor or marshy ground by the River Colne to which nearby Moor Lane - ‘Morlane’ 1337 - in Harmondsworth also refers. The bridge provides a link to Longford from Longfordmoor and has done so since 15th. It was maintained by Sipson Farm.
Longford River. This is an artificial watercourse named from Longford, where it begins. It is one of two man-made rivers which take water from the River Colne near West Drayton, and run in parallel under, and to the south of, thr Airport. The Longford River then runs to Hampton Court in culverts for a total length is about 11 miles. It has a steady, clearly regulated flow. It was built by Charles I to improve the water supply to Hampton Court, and still supplies the ornamental ponds and fountains there. It has also been known as the Cardinal's River' and Queen’s River. 'Queen's River' probably refers to Henrietta Maria, wife of Charles I and Cardinal's River refers to Wolsey, builder of Hampton Court, who had used water from Coombe Hill. The river was diverted when Heathrow Airport was built in the 1940s and again for the building of Terminal 5.
‘Longeforde’ 1294, ‘Langeforde’ 1327, ‘Longeforth’ 1430, 'the long ford', from Old English ‘long’ and ‘ford’. The ford was no doubt so named because it crossed two branches of River Colne here, later replaced by two bridges, King's Bridge and Moor Bridge. So name comes from an oblique crossing of the river Colne. Used to be two separate words. The village was a stop on the Bath Road and had 30 houses in 1337. By the riverside local trades like milling was encouraged but flooding was always likely. There were paper mills and a printing works.
Westernmost point of Greater London. Between the Bath Road and Wraysbury River. Takes its name from the marshy ground around the river and the Bath Road.
Lakes from disused gravel workings.
White Horse. There in 17th – the oldest extant pub in the village. Is a two-storey timber-framed building with Three windows at the front bricked-up recalling the window tax that was introduced in 1696 and not repealed until 1851. It stands at an angle to the Bath Road
The Barracks which may get their name from troops billeted there during the Civil War and later used as housing for those were protecting the highway from robbers the 18th .
Coal post on the east bank 200 yards north of Mad Bridge
Coal post on the west bank 200 yards north of Mad Bridge
Field. London Place Namez
Pevsner and Cherry. London North West
Walford Village. London