Showing posts from May, 2010

Thames Tributary Effra - Herne Hill

Thames Tributary Effra A number of tributaries meet in the Herne Hill area and then flow northwards . Post to the west Brockwell Park Post to the north Denmark Hill Post to the south West Dulwich Burbage Road On the line of an old cart track going from Dulwich Village to Hare Hill. It is one of only a few ancient east west links in the area. A tributary of the Effra from Dulwich coming via Belair reached Burbage Road and then ran to Half Moon Lane 5 Garden of a member of The Society of Botanical Artists. Railway Viaduct on either side of the road. Over the London Chatham and Dover Railway. It is faced in red brick with a perforated parapet, and ‘DC' alternating with '1866' on concrete medallions. Herne Hill stadium . This is considered to be the home of track cycling in the U.K. the Velodrome opened in 1892 and was used in the 1948 Summer Olympics with Reg Harris. Its original, and unlisted, grandstand survives. It began through the efforts of the racing cyclist,

Thames Tributary Effra - West Dulwich

Thames Tributary Effra It is conjectured by some that streams from Dulwich Park flow west to reach the Effra in the Herne Hill area, via Belair Park and surrounding fields. Post to the west Tulse Hill Post to the north Herne Hill Post to the east Dulwich Post to the south West Dulwich Burbage Road A tributary to the Effra flows to Burbage Road from Belair Park Croxted Road Was originally known as Croxted Lane and follows the line of the Effra Gallery Road Belair . Built around 1785 for John Willes, a Whitechapel corn merchant, it was originally known as 'College Place'. In 1806 he undertook 'to drain the land between Dulwich Road and 'the Sheet of Water'. After he died, the name was changed to Belair. Later residents were Charles Ranken, a solicitor from 1829, and Charles William Cookworthy Hutton, a 'Berlin Wool Manufacturer and Wholesaler'. During this time over ten acres of land was sold to the railway by Dulwich College. The last owner wa

Thames Tributary Effra - Dulwich

Thames Tributary Effra Springs and tributaries which feed the Effra are said to flow west through this area. Suburban area dominated by Dulwich College who have controlled it since the 17th Post to the west West Dulwic h Post to the east Forest Hill Post to the south Dulwich College Allison Grove Named after a house, Allison Towers 1868. In 1795 it belonged to Caleb Marshall whose daughter was Allison. She died in 1859, and her heir T. W. Parker, named the development after her. 'Allison Towers' was on the corner of Dulwich Common until the early 1960s 7 Home of Lord Haw Haw 1923-1930. He was William Joyce who broadcast to Britain in the Second World War on behalf of Hitler. Hanged in 1946. The house had been the first to be bombed locally in the blitz Aysgarth Road The parish where Alleyn's Yorkshire estate was. Named in 1896 College Gardens Development on the site of 8 Victorian mansions. It is the site is of the old fellows’ garden. There are remaining b

Thames Tributary Effra - Dulwich College

Thames Tributary Effra Springs in this area are said to have fed tributaries to the Effra in the area of Gipsy Hill . Suburban area dominated by the buildings and legacy of Dulwich College Post to the west West Dulwich Post to the north Dulwich Post to the east Sydenham Hill Post to the south Gipsy Hill Alleyn Park Plane trees at the junction 63 home of Macmahon, speech therapist to George VI 65 Sequoia Gigantia in the front garden Kingsdale Foundation School, Buikt 1959, by London County Council as a comprehensive. 38/44 Alleyn's Head site of original College Preparatory School. It was originally on the other side of the road, the site of which is now a garage. Its neighbour housed local horses as a livery stable College Road In 1626 Alleyn gave the site to his native parish of St.Botolph Bishopsgate. In 1804 the road was built by John Morgan and later called Penge Road. It was a direct route between Camberwell and Penge allowing access across the common as a pri

Thames Tributary Effra -Sydenham Hill

Thames Tributary Effra Springs feeding the Effra rise in the area and flow north west Post to the west Dulwich College Post to the north Forest Hill Post to the east Forest Hill Station Charlecote Grove There are a number of houses of 1838. John Scott Russell lived in the road. 2 , with late 19th additions including a porch and an extension. Baxter’s Field . Blue plaque to printer George Baxter on the entrance. A small local park with an area of open grassland which includes a children’s playground. Cox's Walk A rural lane lined with oaks, cut through the woods in the early 18th. It goes from Sydenham Hill alongside Sydenham Hill Wood. Crescent Wood Road This road sweeps round to enclose an oval-shaped plateau on the ridge of Sydenham Hill. At the eastern end is Sydenham Hill Wood. At the western end are Low Cross Wood Lane and some interesting houses. Crescent Wood Railway tunnel underneath. 400 yards. St Giles Camberwell iron parish marker at the junction with Sy

Thames Tributary Effra - Forest Hill

Thames Tributary Effra Springs in this area flow north and west to join other tributaries to the Effra Post to the west Dulwich Post to the north East Dulwich Post to the south Sydenham Hill Post to the east Forest Hill Cox’s Walk A formal avenue of oaks cut planted in the 1740s by Francis Cox to connect his Green Man Tavern, now The Grove Tavern, and Dulwich Wells with Sydenham Wells. Home to woodpeckers and nuthatch, and owned by Dulwich Estates. Bridge. The railway to Crystal Palace ran under a big cantilevered bridge in brick and wood built in 1865. It was renewed in teak in 1908 to the design of the 1865 original. Camille Pissarro painted Lordship Lane station from here. Thick woodland and shrubbery now obscure the view from the bridge in the painting of 1871 now in the Courtauld Institute Galleries. Railway - through this aea the line is climing at 1:78 which many steam locomotives found difficult. Cedar of Lebanon in a large clearing, Effra. A tributary is said to, f

Thames Tributary Effra - Gipsy Hill

Thames Tributary Effra A tributary flows northwards having come from Jasper Passage and the lower end of Colby Road. It joins Gipsy Hill, at a junction with Dulwich Wood Avenue, and then flows alongside it and it then goes to Clive Avenue. Another tributary joins it at Hamilton Road beyond the Paxton Pub at the junction where Gipsy Road, Alleyn Park and Gipsy Hill meet. Post to the west Norwood Post to the north Dulwich College Post to the south Crystal Palace Alleyn Park Named for Edward Alleyn, Tudor founder of Dulwich College Baird Gardens TV inventor J.C.Baird lived in Crescent Wood Road. Bowen Drive Named for Charles Bowen, a Law Lord and Governor of Dulwich College. Kingswood Estate . A post Second-World-War L.C.C. estate built in the grounds of Kingswood House. The area used to be held by Dulwich College and the blocks of flats are name after fellows of Dulwich College. Round Green – an old oak is the site of the former green Kingswood House . This could have be

Thames Tributary Effra - West Dulwich

Thames Tributary Effra The Effra and one of its tributaries flow north through this area. Effra 2 streams flow northwards towards the South Circular. The one running under Clive Road is the tributary The main river bends right here and heads through West Norwood Cemetery. Post to the west Knight's Hill Post to the north West Dulwich Post to the east Dulwich College Post to the south Norwood Clive Road Commemorates Baron Clive of Plassey, founder of British dominion in India. (1725-74) Emmanuel Church . Brick and concrete church with youth centre linked by a bridge over the entrance in which there is a gallery and committee room. Designed By Hutchison, Loci & Monk, 1967-8The church has seating on three sides and a raised roof-light over the altar. It replaces a church of 1876 by E. C. Robins. There is also a tiny open space with a footpath running through to flats designed with it. 109 Dudley House, Built 1882 and occupied by Ralph Gardiner, plasterer and builder. E

Thames Tributary Effra - Norwood

Thames Tributary Effra The Effra flows north through this area A tributary to the Effra also flows north on the route of Clive Avenue Post to the west Knights Hill Post to the north West Dulwich Post to the east Gipsy Hill Post to the south Upper Norwood Berridge Road St.Jude Mission Church from Christ Church, Gipsy Hill. 1881 21 Ashburnham Hall for an Institute for Christ Church, Gipsy Hill and St.Jude, 1886 two halls, workshop, stable, coach-house, offices and buildings . Central Hill The Effra flowed through here. Gravel pit on the site of the junction with Crown Dale and Elder Road. The wall of the convent here was washed away in floods in 1890 and can still be seen Bloomfield Hall . on the north side. Home of the Tritton family. MP for Norwood. Central Hill House. Chapel Road 10A The Pavement, very small garden behind shops. Cottage garden planting. Clive Avenue Crown Dale Norwood School designed by James Cubitt and Partners, 1967-72. Buildings in the