Thames Tributary Effra
It is conjectured by some that streams from Dulwich Park flow west to reach the Effra in the Herne Hill area, via Belair Park and surrounding fields.
Post to the west Tulse Hill
Post to the north Herne Hill
Post to the east Dulwich
Post to the south West Dulwich
A tributary to the Effra flows to Burbage Road from Belair Park
Was originally known as Croxted Lane and follows the line of the Effra
Belair. Built around 1785 for John Willes, a Whitechapel corn merchant, it was originally known as 'College Place'. In 1806 he undertook 'to drain the land between Dulwich Road and 'the Sheet of Water'. After he died, the name was changed to Belair. Later residents were Charles Ranken, a solicitor from 1829, and Charles William Cookworthy Hutton, a 'Berlin Wool Manufacturer and Wholesaler'. During this time over ten acres of land was sold to the railway by Dulwich College. The last owner was Sir Evan Spicer, paper manufacturer and Chairman of London County Council and when he died in 1938 it was sold by auction. During the Second World War it was used as a store by Evan & Co and the military occupied it for a time. In 1946 the Borough of Southwark leased it as a park - there is a plaque on the wall about this. Grade II listed. The house is now a restaurant.
Lake is a branch of the Effra. Ducks - or – the lake not the Effra. Part of the remains of stream system which drains the ridge. There was also a millpond in this area.
A tributary to the Effra flows to Burbage Road from Belair Park.
The playing fields in this area were marshy meadows where small streams, some underground, ran towards the Effra. They were joined by streams from both the area now Dulwich park and by others from what is now Crystal Palace. The name of Dulwich relates to these meadows- fields where the dill flower grows.Stable block 18th and lodge 19th.
A 10-acre park laid out as a suitably grand setting for Belair House. Informal sloping lawns in the English landscape tradition, with ancient trees, shrubberies and some rose beds, sweeping down to a long serpentine lake. Cork tree, alder and a Bald Cypress in the grounds.
Lloyds Register Athletic Ground
Old College Lawn Tennis & Croquet Club and Cricket Club
Named after members of the Glazebrook family who were pupils at Dulwich College. One of them was the first man to clear six feet in the high jump and, became High Master at Manchester Grammar School and Headmaster at Clifton. Hugh Glazebrook who was a painter. And R.T. Glazebrook was Foreign Secretary in 1924.
Council housing on the site of Milne’s small holding, the last farm in Dulwich from which he was evicted in 1954.
New Testament Church of God St.John’s Church Hall. Built as St. John the Evangelist. In 1912 as a mission church for the parish of Holy Trinity, Tulse Hill. A simple red brick building. Still in use by Anglicans in 1962. As of 2006 it is also used by the New Tidings Community Outreach Group and the African-Caribbean Mental Health Association.
Name relates to a family who owned land in the area in the 16th. The hill itself is to the east of Tulse Hill. Now Thurlow Hill.
All Saints Church. Badly damaged by fire and since refurbished. Gothic revival church on a steep slope. By George Fellowes Prynne 1891. It had an outside staircase. The land was given by Dulwich College but there was never enough money to finish it so a tower was never built. It was badly damaged in the Second World War, and restored in 1952-1 by J. B. S. Camper who rebuilt where the big tower should have been.
Views of Brockwell Park, and beyond. Woodland and grassland, and rail side habitats. Oak woodland.
Peabody Estate 4 blocks of five floor flats, two streets of houses, 1901/8 and community hall of 1910. It is on the hill top because of research into building on clay.
The name was supposed to be Pinners Mead but was spelt wrong. This is new housing on bomb sites.
Railway Bridge on the Tulse Hill branch, 1869. Three-arches with red and cream brickwork. Designed like this for landowners Dulwich College.
Rosendale Playing Fields119/129 bombed in the Second World War 3 killed.
Express Dairy1899. Footpath to 1970s estate up the hill.
Knights Hill Tunnel. On the L.B.S.C.R. line of 1866-8 by R. J. Hood. Elaborate portals
Knights Hill coal depot
Above the railway tunnel is a cinder heap. This was a temporary brick works?
War memorial on the Peabody Estate. Small half-timbered structure which commemorates Peabody tenants who died in the Great War. The resident estate manager was killed during an air raid in the Second World War
Rosendale Primary School. Bailey. 1899
Thurlow Park Road
One of the main streams of the Effra meanders under Clive Road. It joins the other branch near where Thurlow Park Road and Croxted Road meet.
From Thurlow Park Road one stream ran meandering alongside what now the railway is following the east side of a hill. Croxted Lane followed the line of it.
Lord Thurlow, Lord Chancellor in 1778, lived in this area. He commissioned a Mansion House from Holland in an area which has since been built on. He is said to have been outraged at the builder’s charge and in fact lived there but lived in a farmhouse in the same area.
Police Station 1889
West Dulwich Station October 1863 London Chatham and Dover Railway. Opened as ‘Dulwich’ or ‘Lower Knights Hill’ 1926 renamed ‘West Dulwich’.
The Hare and Hounds. Pub mention in 1707 on The Woodlands
125 home of J.H.Thomas presented to him by the National Union of Railwaymen. Chancellor in Ramsay Macdonald’s national government but resigned over budget leaks. Now part of Oakfield School.
Oakfield School. Mepsilus and Cotoneaster Frigida in the grounds
Bridge over the road for the railway. On the main line of the London Brighton & South Coast 1864/8. This was designed by Charles Barry Jun., for, the governors of Dulwich College. It has a three-span ornamental cast-iron facade, with monogram AC and date 1863. The facade is largely independent of the wrought-iron girder structure behind
Dulwich Tennis and Cricket Ground
Westminster School Playing Ground
London South Bank University Sports Ground