Thames Tributary Effra - West Dulwich
The Effra and one of its tributaries flow north through this area.
2 streams flow northwards towards the South Circular. The one running under Clive Road is the tributary
The main river bends right here and heads through West Norwood Cemetery.
Post to the west Knight's Hill
Post to the north West Dulwich
Post to the east Dulwich College
Post to the south Norwood
Commemorates Baron Clive of Plassey, founder of British dominion in India. (1725-74)
Emmanuel Church. Brick and concrete church with youth centre linked by a bridge over the entrance in which there is a gallery and committee room. Designed By Hutchison, Loci & Monk, 1967-8The church has seating on three sides and a raised roof-light over the altar. It replaces a church of 1876 by E. C. Robins. There is also a tiny open space with a footpath running through to flats designed with it.
109 Dudley House, Built 1882 and occupied by Ralph Gardiner, plasterer and builder. Elaborate plasterwork on the façade
This was crooked lane and one of the main routes into Norwood.
From Norwood the river is generally agreed to have followed Croxted Road up to Brockwell Park but Evidence from flooding suggests that the course of the river may actually have been west of Rosendale rather than Croxted Road.
Park Hall Road
100 Alleyn’s Head.
Hall Place. Was near the shops. Moated Tudor House pulled down when Croxted Road built in 1880.
Ex-mews works making stench pipes.
Gipsy Hill telephone exchange. Massive building.
South Metropolitan Cemetery. In 1836 39 acres were incorporated as the South Metropolitan Cemetery, the second of the eight large cemeteries established then. Two chapels were built; both by Sir William Tite in stock brick. The church seated 2,500 with windows by Clayton & Bell. The Episcopal chapel was demolished in 1955 after war damage and a smaller Dissenters' chapel was replaced by a brick Gothic crematorium by A. Underdown, in 1960. The Lodge was built in 1955.There are a set of Catacombs there. It was originally laid out with paths winding up the hill between clumps of trees and the earliest monuments are near the top, but a hundred years later the open landscape has been entirely filled with graves. The cemetery was acquired by the borough of Lambeth in 1966 for use as open space. There is an entrance and fine cast-iron railings along Robson Street. Many important monuments including the Tate mausoleum and many engineers including Bessemer. There is a Greek Orthodox Cemetery in a small separate burial ground
The road was intended as a grand avenue between Crystal Palace and Dulwich College. This was foiled by the developer of Tritton Road.
In 1935 the sewer was enlarged to help avoid the repeated floodings, and deep shafts were sunk here. Again the landscape in this area suggests at least a rough course for the river. Evidence from flooding cellars suggests that the course of the river may actually have been west of Rosendale Road rather than Croxted Road.The Rosendale pub
Vintage Wireless Museum
Rosendale Primary School. London School Board school. Local people protested unsuccessfully that the school would depreciate the value of their property. Temporary iron buildings were erected in 1897 and a permanent school built 1890; the architect was T. J. Bailey
Peabody Buildings. This estate including the allotments on Knight's Hillwas designed by William Cubitt and Co. and were built in 1901. In 1905 82 cottages were added, and 64 in 1907–8; designed by W. E. Wallis. The estate includes a communal hall built in 1913.
Thurlow Park Road
St.Cuthbert & St.Mary's church 1901 prominent. Presbyterian by A. O. Breeds. In red brick with stone dressings. Tower.