Thames Tributary Effra
The Effra flows north through this area
A tributary to the Effra also flows north on the route of Clive Avenue
Post to the west Knights Hill
Post to the north Rosendale Road
Post to the east Gipsy Hill
Post to the south Upper Norwood
St.Jude Mission Church from Christ Church, Gipsy Hill. 1881
21 Ashburnham Hall for an Institute for Christ Church, Gipsy Hill and St.Jude, 1886 two halls, workshop, stable, coach-house, offices and buildings .
The Effra flowed through here.
Gravel pit on the site of the junction with Crown Dale and Elder Road.
The wall of the convent here was washed away in floods in 1890 and can still be seen
Bloomfield Hall. on the north side. Home of the Tritton family. MP for Norwood.
Central Hill House.
10A The Pavement, very small garden behind shops. Cottage garden planting.
Norwood School designed by James Cubitt & Partners, 1967-72. Buildings in the yellow brick and shuttered concrete. Three-storey classroom block on two levels, and lower gymnasium wing.
New and rehabilitated housing by Lambeth Architect's Department, 1974.
Effra runs along it from coming from Hermitage Road to West Norwood. It floods sometimes. The dip where the road meets Central Road is evident
Old Relieving Office inscription on a white stone tablet high on the side: "FLOOD LEVEL 17th July 1890". By 1810 development followed the enclosure of Norwood Common
56 Park Tavern.
Elderwood School House for the housing of industry for the infant poor. An extension to the Lambeth workhouse was moved here from Kennington in 1819 and a long plain yellow brick range built. Up until 1836, it accommodated both very young and the very old ad in 1838, the school had 460 inmates. From late 1868 the Board acquired more land for the "New School" which opened in July 1885. Additional buildings included an Infirmary and a First and Second Probation block, and an Isolation Block. An Infants' Block, built in 1849, had two night-nurseries each with 40 cots, and two large school-rooms. There were administrative offices, superintendent's quarters, kitchen, dining-hall etc. The children's blocks were three storeys high and each took 72 children. Beneath the dining-hall, was a steam-heated swimming bath and the boys had an outdoor swimming bath. In 1930 it was taken over by the London County Council and divided up. Most of the buildings have been demolished. Although, the lodge and the front block of the old school survive and have been converted to residential use.
Elder Road School. Primary school Part of the old Elderwood workhouse
Lambeth Home for the Aged, Part of the old Elderwood workhouse
Elderwood, home for the elderly Part of the old Elderwood workhouse
Norwood House Part of the old Elderwood workhouse for the elderly also used to house homeless families.
Wood Vale was Norwood Children's Home Part of the old Elderwood workhouse
Woodvale. Lambeth housing completed in 1975, on the site of the old workhouse. Low terraces of houses in a pedestrian precinct, surrounded by taller flats over garages. Yellow brick walls and pitched roofs. There is a large green and older trees preserved in the centre.
61-65 World Wide Mission Fellowship
St.Luke's Church of England Primary School. In 1810 the Lambeth Manor Inclosure Commissioners awarded a piece of land to the Lambeth Vestry. in 1825 it was resolved to use of it for a school. In 1850 an infant school was built adjacent to this. single-storey building with the name, Norwood Infant School.
3-5 the original site was on Norwood Common. two houses built c.1842. paired three storey houses of stock brick
69 Gipsy Tavern
201 Two Towers pubThree-storeyed flats by Booth & Ledeboer, c. 1950.
Gipsy Road School. primary school built 1875 London School Board school, E. R. Robson being the architect. These buildings have since been replaced. In 1895–6 a Junior Mixed School was added; T. J. Bailey was the architect, and the builder, was C. Cox of Hackney and the school was opened in 1896. In 1958 Norwood School for Girls, secondary school for girls by the London County Council and housed on the same site. They moved in 1971 and the site became Norwood Park Primary School. This school closed in 2002 due to falling numbers and the site used for Crown Lane Primary School, It then took in Elmgreen parent promoted school
Stink pipe at the lowest point in the road outside the school
Kingswood Children’s Centre. Kingswood Road School. Gabled asymmetrical early London School Board School. built by G. Ward of Dulwich to accommodate 600 children. The architect was E. R. Robson, opened and extended in 1904–5.
1 Bricklayer’s Arms
St.Saviour's almshouses, The United St. Saviour's College. Originally founded in St. Saviour's Southwark, in the 16th, 17th and 18th. When their site was bought by the Charing Cross Railway they were moved to Norwood. The earliest buildings are 1863 to the design of Edward Habershon; and are a chapel with 16 almshouses. In the wall are inscribed stones about the founders. In 1862 the residents of Edward Alleyn's alms-houses in Soap Yard, Southwark, moved to Gravel Lane but this too was bought by the South Eastern Railway in 1885, and they too moved here. An east block was built in 1884; the architect was G. N. Mclntyre North, and this was later extended but it was destroyed in bombing in 1944, but rebuilt in 1952. New blocks built 2006.
Infill housing and rehabilitation by Shankland Cox & Partners for Lambeth.
St.Luke’s Church of England School
Norwood High Street
East Place, is another flood site when in 1914 the Effra overflowed from the sewer
Day & Son Depository
49 Hope. One of the pubs Young’s had the longest. Leased to Baimbridge and Young in 1850 and Young’s bought the freehold in 1902. Originally served by the Norwood Brewery.
Milton Lloyd. Perfume manufacturer.
46 Astoria Cinema now store
82 Southern Pride, originally the King's Head and One of the pubs served by the Norwood Brewery and their principal house. The draymen and horses lived in a building round the back. Includes Ego night club
80 Mylands Wood finishes
1810 development followed the enclosure of Norwood Common
Norwood Park. Gypsy camping grounds. There were iron gratings in the fields with the river running underneath.
Thatched cottages with wooden bridges over the stream to the road.
Whiteley Road Hall, built as an extension to Christ Church, Gipsy Hill in 1925.the entrance to which lies near what was formerly Sir Ernest Tritton's kitchen garden. The builders of the Hall were Messrs. Akers and Co. of Norwood and the joint architects Messrs. J. B. L. Tolhurst and J. M. Colvin
There used to be two large ponds known as ‘The Reservoir’.