Friday, 31 October 2014

Great Eastern Railway Line from Liverpool Street to Chingford. Chingford Hatch

Great Eastern Railway from Liverpool Street to Chingford
The railway runs northwards from Highams Park Station
TQ 38179 91761

Suburban area with some leisure facilities around trading estates and the area of the old Halex factory.

Post to the south Hale End
Post to the east Highams Park
Post to the north Pimps Hall

Avril Way
Names for Averil, the wife of the builder. Built in the 1960s

Bailey Close
Built on what appears to have been the leisure centre car park

Balliol Avenue
The road dates from the 1930s and the name relates to a 13th Chingford manorial family 

Hatch Lane
A road which is medieval or earlier and which went to a gate into Epping Forest. A Tiny eastern section is cut off by the railway
71 Prince of Wales. The pub dated from at least the 1860s. It was rebuilt at some time shortly after 1938 and closed in 2008
Methodist chapel. In 1862 a small Wesleyan church was built but in 1936 the site of was compulsorily acquired by the London County Council for a slum clearance scheme

Hickman Avenue
Rolls Park Sports Centre. The Rolls was a big house in what is now Larkshall Road at Inks Green. 

Inks Green
This was also called Inks Green Road, from Inks Green Farm which was on the corner with Larkshall Road. ‘Inks’ is thought to be a corruption of Hicks.
Silverthorne Bowling Club

Larks Hall Crescent Estate
Laid out by Crow, 1933-6, with terraces and semi-detached houses for owner-occupiers of modest means.

Larkshall Road
The road has had a variety of names and most recently has alternatively been called Hale End Road.  It was once Green Lane and later Jack's or Inks Green Lane going to Jack's farm at Hale End. The section near the junction with Hatch Lane was also known as Lark’s Lane.
The Rolls was a gentleman’s residence, home of the Ainslie family.  The estate name of ‘The Rolls’ dated to at least the 16th and was at Inks Green on the west side of the road south of Ropers Avenue
St Anne’s Church. This was previously an iron mission church provided by members of the Ainslie family from Rolls in memory of a sister, Anne.  The land, given by the Ainslies, at the junction with Hatch Lane was alongside Jessup’s wheelwright’s yard.   Later, a legacy from the family provided for another iron building and after the Second World War a new church was built in 1953 by Tooley & Foster Red brick wlth a llttle brick pattern
MOT test centre on the site of Jessop’s Wheelwrights yard.
205 Larkshall Pub. A timber-framed building that prior to the 1980s was Larks Hall Farm.  It was also known as Larks Old Farm.  It is thought to be a timber framed 17th building with 19th additions. and on an original lobby-entrance plan with central chimney and the addition of a genteel wing with  new entrance, added in 1890 by Arthur Crow, who had married into the Young family, the landowners. The older part now has the first-floor ceiling opened up.  It was converted to a pub in 1982.
252 Whitehall Tennis Club
Ropers Field.  This was a cricket ground home of the Highams Park Cricket Club. Many cricket stars had played there and this drew considerable local opposition.
Inks Green Farm. The site of the cricket ground had been a small farm near the junction of Roper’s Avenue and Larkshall Road south of Oakdale Gardens.  It was also called Ropers Farm. The farm building was demolished in the 1960’s and was replaced by the Larkswood Club. The Club has now been demolished and the site is now housing.

Larkswood Park
Larkswood Park includes part of the ancient woodland of Larks Wood, and has fine oak and hornbeam trees. Larkswood was owned in the 1920s by Charles Roper, a dairy farmer. The Park was created by Chingford Borough Council in 1936,

Merriam Close
The Merriam family were owners of British Xylonite – the factory site is adjacent.
Nasebury Court Hospital. Mental Health Services

New Road
The road was once Southfield Lane and the new name appears to date from the mid 19th following road realignments. Suffield Hatch. The area west of the crossroads is known as Suffield Hatch –probably a corruption of ‘Southfield’.
Chingford Harvester. Big chain pub.
Leisure Centre. This is the site of Larks Farm where, in 1936, Larkswood Pool was built – said to be the largest pool in England. Designed for racing and water polo, it was considered one of the finest open-air pools in the country and was opened by Sir Kingsley Wood, Minister of Health. Sold off it became the FantaSeas Water Park and then Chingford Hydro it closed in 1987. In 2001 rebuilt as the Leisure Centre and run by Greenwich Leisure Ltd.

Ropers Avenue
Ropers Field Estate. This is between Larkswood, and the ‘Rolls’ site. Early in 1944, Chingford the Council identified Ropers Field for housing. The Estate was a low density development of semi-detached houses designed by, Reginald W Lone with the Borough Engineer and Surveyor S J Hellier. It was built by the Anglo-Scottish Construction Co Ltd using Prisoners of War from the camp on Chingford plain for building works and based on Garden City designs and principles.

Chingford As It Was
East London History Society. Newsletter
Hayward. Street Names of Chingford
London Borough of Waltham Forest. Web site
London Gardens Online. Web site
Ray. Chingford Past

Wednesday, 29 October 2014

Great Eastern Railway from Liverpool Street to Chingford. Walthamstow

Great Eastern Line to Chingford
The line to Chingford continues northwards from Wood Street Station.

Post to the south Walthamstow Wood Street
Post to the north Hale End

Beacontree Avenue
The road ran parallel to the old pre-1970s North Circular Road.  The raised grass sward along the east side of the road is in fact the old North Circular which lies under the grass.  In places the concrete road surface shows through. There are steps at the corner with Pentire Road by an electricity substation which demonstrate the difference in levels between the old road and the new motorway standard road above.  From here a subway – hidden from the road – goes under the North Circular to join to forest paths. It has a railed off footway and a disused vehicle road.
Bellevue Road
Named for Belle Vue House or Cooke's Folly which stood near the junction with Beacontree Avenue. It was built around 1803 in what was then called Hale Brinks Woods for Charles Cooke, to the design of Edward Gyfford. It was a Regency villa with a semi-circular portico on the west front. It was demolished in 1937
Brookscroft Road
Spruce Hill Church. This originated in 1893 as a mission and a church was built in 1900.  This appears to have been Congregational. The church was temporarily closed in 1942 but reopened in 1943. It closed permanently in 1946. The building was sold in 1952 and may have been in other use before it was demolished. The site is now housing.
194 Louise House. Employment support for disability.
Clifford Road
Ensign Works. This was an extension of the main Fulbourne Road Wallis Gilbert designed works making cameras and associated products. The Walthamstow Business Centre is now on the site of most of the works, including Prestige House and is a business and trading area
Micanite and Insulator works in Empire House. Now demolished for the business centre. They began as Mica Insulator Co. Ltd. in 1901 at Stansted Mountfitchet. They built a factory in 1907 and were associated with Associated Electrical Industries Ltd. and English Electric Co. Ltd. From 1939 British Tego Gluefilm Ltd., was in production here. In 1958 the company became a part of the A.E.I. group.

Forest Road
This was once called Haggar Lane.
Haggar Farm. This was a dairy farm near the junction with Fulbourne Road.
There was a beer shop at the east side of this junction which closed in 1882. It became a house called ‘Meadow Lodge’
Claystreet house

Fulbourne Road
363 Living Flames Baptist Church. Highams Park Tabernacle. Built as a mission by T. A. Tucker originally in Station Parade. When the present church was built in 1910.  It has a red brick front, and leafy capitals.
Forest Works. Recently demolished buildings by Wallis Gilbert & Partners as one of their earliest works in the 1920s.  This was the works of Barnet Ensign Ross Ltd., who made cameras and other photographic apparatus. They began in 1908, when Spratt Bros. of Hackney a branch of Houghtons Ltd., which dated to 1834 but who had a licence for daguerreotypes, established the Ensign Works here in the 1900s. In 1908 it was the biggest British camera factory became known as Houghton-Butcher Manufacturing Co. Ltd., Ensign Ltd., and the merged with Elliott & Sons Ltd. of Barnet, as Barnet Ensign Ltd.  In 1939 it introduced the Ensign Ful-Vue box camera, one of the most popular cameras of its time in the UK in 1948 they merged again with Ross Ltd. as Barnet Ensign Ross Ltd. After the Second World War they abandoned the Ensign Commando rangefinder camera but continued with Ensign Selfix and Ensign Autorange folding cameras and new models the Ensign Ranger or the Snapper.  In 1946 at a new version of the Ensign Ful-Vue was released. In 1954 they moved to Clapham and the building was acquired in by Fuller Electric as their West Works. It had a staggered front with brick bands between long windows. West Works was eventually put up for sale and taken over by Spring Steel Productions, long established at adjacent Victoria Works. They have now left and the building has been demolished.
ASEA (Great Britain) Ltd. and Fuller Electric Ltd. Made electric motors and transformers. They originated from 1905, when the Fuller-Wenstrom Electrical Manufacturing Co., which assembled Swedish made electric motors manufactured in Sweden, moved to Walthamstow. In 1906 they became Fuller Electrical and Manufacturing Co., and in 1910 formed, Allmänna Svenska Electric Co. Ltd (ASEA) . They moved here in 1915, and made transformers from 1919. The factory was bombed in 1944. In 1955 the empty Barnet Ensign Ross building across the road was bought as their West Works. In 1957 Fuller Electric was acquired by Brush which then merged with Hawker Siddeley.
Hawker Siddeley Power Transformers Ltd.  John Leslie Fuller had founded the Company in 1898 and a work was established in Blackhorse Lane. In 1915 a new factory was built on six acres of ground here by the Fuller-Wenstrom Electrical Manufacturing Co Ltd. As well as electric motors they made transformers and o 1926, a three-storey high transformer assembly hall plus machine shops was built to. In 1953-54 a c75ft-high transformer assembly hall was built with upper and lower gantry beams this was designed by Elliott Cox & Partners and erected by W J Cearns Ltd. Following its acquisition by FKI Energy Technology, this extensive works closed in May 2003. 
Cedar Wood House. This is the three-storey office building for ASEA, by Wallis Gilbert. It is ‘given grandeur’ by a formal stone frontispiece on the end wall. It is now Waltham Forest Housing Department offices. 

Guildford Road
Forest Community Centre. Drama, music, etc.

Hale End Road
Hale End Open Air Schools. In 1919 Walthamstow Urban District Council opened the Brookfield Orthopaedic Hospital and School for Crippled Children at Brookfield House.  In 1936 it moved to Wingfield House, in Hale End Road and called Hale End Open Air School.  In 1957 it was renamed Wingfield House School and the open air treatments had been much diluted and in 1964 it moved back to Brookfield.  Wingfield House then became the Frederick Bremmer Secondary School but in 1972 Whitefield School replaced it. The original mansion was demolished and replaced
Thorpe Hall Farm – a house here was a manor house in the 16th and earlier, and later used as a farm. The school is now on the site.
133 Thorpe Hall Infants School. Opened in 1933 by the local authority.

Macdonald Road
Aneroid Works. Short and Mason was established in 1845 in Hatton Garden, and produced precision measuring instruments including barometers, anemometers, and compasses. In 1904 they patented a barograph, called the Cyclo-stormograph. They moved to Macdonald Road in 1910 specialising in storm forecasting equipment and later supplying the aircraft industry. In 1958 the business moved to

Wood Street.
Whitefield Schools and Centre. The buildings date from 2010.  This is a provider of Special Education with an international reputation. Whitefield became a teaching school in 2012 and in 2014, became part of the Whitefield Academy Trust, sponsoring Joseph Clarke School for children with visual impairment There are three ‘schools’ within Whitefield: Margaret Brearley for all-age pupils with complex needs; Peter Turner Primary School for primary age with communication difficulties; and Niels Chapman Secondary School for older pupils with communication difficulties, or hearing loss. In 1903, Forest Road Centre for Defective Girls was opened and High Street Centre for Defective Boys. Later they amalgamated as Shernhall Street Special Schools. After the Second World was, following bombing, the school moved to the site of the Open Air School on Hale End Road but later moved to Pretoria Avenue. As the school grew it was renamed Whitefield School and moved to the present site in 1972. In 1994 it was the first special school to become Grant Maintained, and became a Foundation Special School in 1999. In April 2014, Whitefield Schools and Centre joined with Joseph Clarke School to become Whitefield Academy Trust

North Circular Road
This was built as far as Crooked Billet in 1927 and then along Wadham Road on a line opened in 1930 and then parallel to Becontree Avenue to Forest Road and the edge of Epping Forest. It was 1970 rebuilt on the present line & the old section passed over. The North Circular is at a higher at the point where they merged then gradually comes down to a level at the junction of Forest road. There are steps from Beacontree Avenue at this point.
Slip from Wadham Road – this is a length of the original North Circular before the rebuilding, although this piece had lost the decorative concrete barriers still in place to stretches to the west. A subway remains.

Railway Terrace
Footpath along the railway
1 BSB Blind manufacturer

Siddeley Road
Frederick Bremmer Secondary School. The school opened here in September 2008, replacing Warwick School for Boys and Aveling Park School. The school is named after local car inventor Frederick Bremer and largely covers the site of the Hawker Siddley transformer works.
Corporation Depot. There was a siding off the railway

Victoria Road
30 Victoria Works. Spring Steel Productions. Goss family firm making springs and precision castings. They later moved into West Works

British History Online. Web site
Frederic Bremmer School. Web sit
Grace’s Guide. Web site
Lost Hospitals of London. Web site
SABRE Roads A406. Web site
Skinner. Form and Fancy
Victoria County History. Essex
Whitefield School. Web site.

Tuesday, 28 October 2014

Great Eastern Rail Line to Chingford. Walthamstow Wood Street

Great Eastern Railway from Liverpool Street to Chingford
The railway running from Walthamstow Central turns north westwards and through Wood Street Station to run north.

Post to the west Walthamstow
Post to the north Walthamstow

Barrett Road
Joseph Barratt was a member of Walthamstow School Board and the road was named after him in 1906
Joseph Barrett Junior and Infants School. This opened on what was then apparently called Warwick Road in 1905. In 1946 it was reorganized as a secondary modern school, later renamed Warwick and was enlarged in the 1950s. Warwick School appears to have closed in 2003 and the buildings remodeled as part of Woodside Primary School. It is a school board type building by H. Pross.
Manual Instruction Centre building, one of four built at elementary schools in the borough before 1906.

Bisterne Avenue
Bisterne Avenue Park. Park around which the avenue itself appears to have been laid out. It has had tennis courts and a bowling green since opening and there are now other sports facilities.  It is also seen as an area of nature interest.  It has recently been refurbished using artificial grass.
98 Forest Lodge Care Home and/or Independent Hospital.
20b flats by Wickham Associates. A small block of six welfare flats.  The scheme provides decent accommodation with walk-up stairs with two offset blocks of flats, one on each floor.
Brandon Road
Allen Pamphllion House. This is named for the founder of the business now based in Old Station Yard, Wood Street, Pamphilon & Sons founded in 1875.

Brooke Road
St Mary’s Church of England Primary School. The school began in 1824 when the vicar, William Wilson, set up a church school in a barn. In 1828 a new school building was erected built in the church yard. Wilson’s, brother Joseph Wilson's ran a school at Spitalfields on the principles of Robert Owen and William Wilson worked in the same way. He became an advocate of infant education and the school won a good reputation.  He stressed the value of 'instruction by amusement' and having an affectionate regard for the children. Poor children went from there to St. Mary's National school. The building of 1828 still stands and is in use by the church. In 1928 it was restored and later extended.  The school became Voluntary Aided in 1951.  In 2011 the school moved to Brooke Road, to a site which had been Warwick Girls School, and has since federated with St Saviour’s School,
Forest Road Warwick Secondary School for Girls. This had been the Joseph Barratt School based in Barratt Road. It was extended to include a girls' school on this site in the 1950s.

Browning Close
New housing on the site of the railway coal yard

Corbett Road
8 Faizan e Islam Sufi – Bareilvi mosque

Forest Rise
Peterhouse Centre. This site was originally the Vicarage of St. Peter’s Church. It was built on an enclosure from Epping Forest through a grant of waste from the Manor Court in 1857. Money for the Vicarage was given by Edward Warner – who also acquired rights over the church. The new vicarage was replaced a century later.
Salters Buildings. Sir John Salter's built houses in 1726 following a grant of waste from Epping Forest.  They included a house called Forest Hall which was demolished in 1935, plus two others.

Forest Road
Thorpe Combe House.  This is now a mental health unit but was previously a Maternity hospital was opened here by the council who bought the house in 1919 but Even though it was at the forefront of many developments in midwifery, it lacked other specialists on site.  It closed in 1973. The house was   Formerly called North Bank it is at the corner with Forest Road and was one of three houses built here on what was Catchers Field by a speculator. It has three full storeys, and was apparently built as a speculation in 1762, with two other adjacent houses adjacent plots, and let to Richard Manby, a City bookseller.  It was later the home of Octavius Wigram – one of the older children of the family of Robert Wigram.  Inside is an 18th staircase with twisted and turned balusters within an apsed end. Later 18th additions and outbuildings were removed when the house was used as a maternity hospital and the original house is dwarfed by extensions built during the 1930s.  When the maternity hospital closed The NHS sought to demolish the building, but it was spared by funding from various historical organisations and it is now used by the North East London Mental Health Trust.
Millennium Clock Tower at the junction with Wood Street.

Greenway Avenue
48a Walthamstow Cricket, Tennis and Squash Club. Walthamstow Cricket and Lawn Tennis Club was founded in 1862.

Havant Road
St.Gabriel. Built 1884-5 by J.T. Bressey as a Sunday school and mission room. It had begun as a mission of St. Mary's and in 1884 the mission room was built on land given by Sir F. W. J. FitzWygram but a permanent church was never built for lack of funds. A long brick shed, a little cupola at the end, and some terracotta decoration.
Church hall. This was built in 1980 and operates as a family centre for the area.

Marlowe Road
Marlowe Road Estate. System built estate constructed in the 1960s
Marlowe Road Recreation Ground and Playground with multi-sport area and garden areas
Northwood Tower Block. 21 storey block built in 1969 designed by HTA Architects Ltd. This was refurbished by Hunt Thompson in 1990-2 as St Patrick’s Court in a postmodern manner. – Its concrete panel walls were covered by patterned brickwork and some roof features changed.

Prospect Hill
At the corner with Shernhall Street is a grass patch, legally part of Epping Forest. There are no trees but there is a flagpole and some flowers.
Shernhall Street,
Shernhall means ‘filth stream’ or ‘muddy stream’. The stream itself was at the south end of the road.
Shern Hall. King John is said to have visited Shern Hall in 1213. This lay on the east side of the road near the bend and was known as Toni Hall in the 18th  The Toni Manor House had previously been on the site of the Ancient House in Walthamstow Village, and this house replaced it. It dated from the 17th and by 19th was brick and stuccoed. Dr. Wiseman was the tenant from 1849. After a fire in 1879 it was restored, but demolished in 1896. A stone capital said to come from the house remains in Lloyd Park.
Ravenswood Industrial Estate. Wild Card Brewery. This began in Nottingham where Andrew and William met and the desire to take their beers to market took hold. They began work in 2013. 
Unigate Milk Depot  alongside the railway.  Demolished.
90 Premier Plating. Based in London Premier Plating Works began in 1934 founded by Reg Smith, the father of the current director, Reg Smith.
Shern Lodge. The estate extended the whole length of what is now Vallentin Road. This was a boarding school from 1770 until 1795. A later private school was there in 1830.  The house was later owned by James Vallentin who got a clause in the 1867 Great Eastern Railway Act requiring the company to purchase the house and grounds.
47 Lord Brooke, a lavish pub built in 1900, Old English style with half-timbered gables. Now closed.
34 The Holy Family Catholic School and Sixth Form. The College is based on two sites - Walthamstow House site at 1 Shernhall Street and Wiseman House here, gaunt institutional premises built in 1875 for St John's Industrial Schools.
28 Shales and Co.  Ice cream factory. This closed in 1959 having been bombed in the Second World War. The company came from Southend.
St. Nicholas' Roman Catholic industrial school. This was founded in 1855 by Cardinal Wiseman, in a house on the corner with of Church Lane. It moved in 1868.
St. John's home industrial school. By 1870 this had taken over the buildings of St. Nicholas Industrial School and it was rebuilt in 1873. It closed in 1928, and in 1930 became a hostel for boys called Wiseman House. The building was sold in 1937. In 1938 the site was used for St. George's Roman Catholic senior school
St. George's Roman Catholic Secondary Modern School which began in 1921. In 1938 Wiseman House was opened as St. George's senior school for boys and girls.  After the Second World War the managers acquired the premises next door of the old Shernhall Street special school. It was enlarged in 1963
Margaret Brearley School for the educationally subnormal was originally in Marsh Street schools. A special centre opened here for girls in 1906 and for boys in 1909. The school moved in 1940
Shernhall Street British School. This was connected with Wood Street Congregational chapel but by 1868 it was getting an annual government grant. In 1872 a new building was erected in Shernhall Street. In 1880 it was transferred to the school board which enlarged it but it had closed by 1906 and the building used as a special school.
Walthamstow House. This is now part of Holy Family Technology College. The original house was built in 1762 as one of three big houses. It has had many enlargements and extensions. A major extension dates from when it was St Mary's Convent and orphanage. Early enlargements, including a rear wing, were to accommodate the very large family of twenty three children of Sir Robert Wigram, shipowner, director of the East India Company and M.P in the late 18th. His son Sir Robert Fitzwigram lived here and nearby, until 1843 while other sons lived in other grand houses at Thorpe Combe and Brookscroft. Inside, the original entrance hall is a cupboard, and the front door leads into a square room with reliefs of musical instruments around a sunburst in the ceiling. There is a staircase with fluted balusters and a room runs the depth of the house, with a curved end. The house has been used by a succession of Roman Catholic schools. By the entrance gates are bollards in the shape of cannons a reminder of Wigram’s East Indiamen. In 1843 the house was leased to a Dr Greig for a school with close links to the East India Company. It later became a private house, then St.Mary's Convent, and since then a succession of schools. 22
St Mary’s Roman Catholic Convent & Orphanage.  This was founded by Cardinal Manning in 1867 when he took on the lease of a house which had been used as a private school. From 1865-67 it was run by Dominican Nuns, then by Sisters of Mercy. The Roman Catholic Church bought the site in 1885 and the home continued until the 1980.   Today, the site of Our Lady & St George School
St. Mary's Roman Catholic junior and infants school, opened in 1931 in the grounds of the orphanage. It has now become part of Our Lady and St. George.
Upper School of Our Lady and St George's Catholic Primary School. This is a new school which has been formed from the amalgamation of: St Helen’s Catholic Nursery and Infants School and St Mary’s Catholic Junior School.  The school is on two sites, The Upper Site is based at the northern end of Shernhall Street

Stocksfield Road
Stocksfield Estate on the site of ‘Stocks Field”
Meridian. At the eastern end Set into the pavement is a marker to show the position of the Greenwich Meridian.
Higher Life Christian Centre. Double Edge Church. Brandon Road Railway mission. Founded about 1883 in an iron hall built beside the railway in 1886. The hall was bombed in the Second World War, but rebuilt, and prefabricated hall erected in 1949.  This is now a brick building and appears to have moved from its original site

Summit Road
Shern Hall Street Station. This opened in and 1870 as the first terminus for this branch line. It was built by the Great Eastern Railway with an earth platform on the Westside of Shernhall Street as stock emerged from Nags Head Tunnel to the west. The entrance was on the north side of Summit Road. In 1873 it was close and replaced by Wood Street and the line was extended to Chingford

Upper Walthamstow Road
Meridian. Near 6 in front of some lock-up garages Set into the pavement is a marker to show the position of the Greenwich meridian.
Vallentin Road
Named for James Vallentin whose Shern Lodge was on the site of this road and which was purchased by Great Eastern Railway Company for the Railway.
96 Gods Own Junkyard. Neon signage art gallery
Alpha Steps Nursery and ‘Preparatory School’. This is in a Church Building  of what began in 1807 as Wood Street Church registered in Wood Street for Independent worship and was probably 'Methodist' in 1810. A series of other buildings followed on various sites in the area. In 1854 a church, known as Wood Street Union, was built in Vallentin Road. In 1860 a gallery was added and the building extended. In 1880 it affiliated to both the Congregational Union and the Baptist Association and in 1930 it became Wood Street Congregational church. In 1940 the church was wrecked by bombing and it was demolished in 1952 and the current building opened in 1956.

Waverly Avenue
70 Set into the pavement is a marker to show the position of the Greenwich meridian.

Wood Street
This was once a hamlet to the east of Walthamstow, shown as Wood Street on the Ordnance Survey map of 1805.
280 Beuleigh Court flats. These are on the site of Aneroid Works. Short & Mason Ltd. had moved to Walthamstow from Hatton Garden in 1910. They supplied scientific instruments for the Scott and for the Shackleton polar expeditions and for Everest climbers. They moved to Wood Street in 1958, and left Walthamstow in 1969 following a merger. The site had previously been used by Precision Film Studios owned by the Gobbett Brothers.
Clock House. The house replaced Wat Webbe’s cottage and probably older buildings.  In the late 17th Arthur Bayley converted this into a garden with stables which has a large clock on it. From then on the house has had a series of wealthy inhaibtants.  It was refronted in the 18th when a central pediment was added. The grounds, were, laid out after 1713 by Sir Jacob Jacobsen including a drive on Dog Kennel Field. But the grounds are now all built on for housing.   The Salvation Army used the house as a rescue centre and in the Second World War it was used by the Civil Defence Heavy Rescue Unit. It has been owned by the council since 1938 and is now converted into flats. Some chimney pieces are now in the Vestry House Museum.   On one side of the house is set an old keystone thought to come from an earlier building.
245 The Cunard Film Co. Ltd. built a studio here in 1913-14. They ceased work in 1915. The studio was taken over by The Broadwest Film Co. who went bankrupt in 1924 and the studio was taken over by British Filmcraft Ltd. in 1926. The studio was still in use in 1931 by Metropolitan Films Ltd., and in 1932 by Audible Filmcraft Ltd., but after 1933 it was a factory. It burned down in 1959.
A. E. Bangham and Co. They began with works in grove Road and later in Borwick Avenue. They paper hats and novelties but the premises were damaged by bombing in the Second World War but were rebuilt in 1945.  Later they moved to the old motion picture studio in Wood Street. A new factory was built on the site when the studio burned down in 1959
245 TSP Youth Project. Tumble in the Jungle for the younger ones. Soul Project for the older ones. Family activities.
247 Pure Muscles Gym. Highly decorated building
Wood Street church originated in 1894 when two groups meeting in Hoe Street under J. Hamilton and T. A. Tucker united. The combined congregation moved to the old Independent church in Wood Street in 1895. This was occupied until 1907, when the present brick church, with steep roof and broad entrance porch flanked by round windows, was built farther down Wood Street.
220 Arla Foods Depot. As Parker Dairies. This was previously a co-op milk depot.
216-218 Cavalry Church of God in Christ Tabernacle. This seems to be the Wood Street Baptist Church which originated in 1894 when two congregations combined and moved to the old Independent church in 1895. In 1907, a new church was built in Wood Street
209 Christ Chapel International Voice of Faith Ministries. Church building in what was Stevens’s furniture factory.
205a 14th Walthamstow Scout Group headquarters
199-201 The Arcadia Electric Theatre opened in 1912. The screen was set mid-way across the auditorium so some Patrons who paid less could watch the film back-to-front which was difficult with the title pages. It was always a silent cinema and closed in 1924. It later became a factory making clothes until 2000.It has since been demolished and the site is now housing and shops.
185-187 Pig and Whistle. Pub in a shop front conversion. Originally a Greenalls house.
173 Wood Street Supermarket. This was the Plough Inn which was built in 1875 to replace the Harrow which had been the Plough & Harrow in 1785 but was demolished in 1873 for the station. It was originally a Huggins Brewery house and later a Watneys' pub and still later a free house. It was also briefly called Hectors. . It closed in 2010. 
176 Mural about local trade on the side wall of Vallentin Street, this was a commissioned work called ‘The Quest for Bronze Tanning’ by Verity-Jane Keefe
171 Travis Perkins, builders merchants. This appears to be on the site of the Wood Street Locomotive Depot.
Locomotive depot and carriage sidings north of the station on the down side. This had an engine shed from the 1890s. It was a sub shed for Stratford depot and its locomotives carried that logo. It was however big enough to have a staff of over 50. A coal stage was taken out of use and replaced by sidings in 1934.  The shed was renewed at least twice in its lifetime but closed as steam was phased out in 1960.  The land was sold for redevelopment in 1986
Wood Street Station. This was opened in 1873 and lies between Highams Park and Walthamstow Central.  It was built by the Great Eastern Railway and opened when the line from Lea Bridge was extended to Chingford and it replaced the short lived Shernhall Street Station.  People had to run across the fields go catch the trains. It was originally a yellow brick building with stairs to a street level-booking hall. In 1974 it was rebuilt with a simple glazed booking hall with space-frame roof.
Goods Yard. A coal and goods depot was built in 1893 on the up side to the south. It closed in 1968
128 Flower Pot. This was originally built by the Walthamstow based Essex Brewery in 1863. Later Wenlock Brewery and Bass. Several brewery mirrors are displayed, including one from the Wenlock Brewery.
111-113 Set into the pavement is a marker to show the position of the Greenwich meridian 112 Dukes Head Inn. The first reference to it is in 1765 but has been rebuilt. They brewed their own beer in the 18th.   Buses used to turn round here and the cobbled turning circle remains. The Walthamstow Philanthropic Society was founded there, and the pub ran a soup kitchen for a while, and at other times allowed the use of their hot water for laundry work.
102a The Wood Street Picture Palace opened in 1912 entered via a long narrow passage from Wood Street, with the auditorium lying parallel to the street behind shops. It was operated by the Penny Picture Theatre Co. By. Before 1914 it had been named the Crown Picture Theatre. It had several other independent operators over the years and got proper cinema seats rather than wooden benches. In 1947 it was the Crown Cinema and then the New Crown Cinema before closing in 1950. It re-opened in 1953 as the Rio Cinema, but closed in 1955. It is now the Wood Street Market
84-86 White Swan pub. This began as a beer shop in the 1830s and was then a weather boarded building. Opened with terracotta decoration, since over painted. Closed 2004 and converted into a bookmakers.  It was a Watney’s house but had previously been with other breweries, including the City of London Brewery.
76- 78 Second Nature.  Wholefoods shop. This is in what was an 18th butcher’s shop, timber-framed and weather boarded. There is also a slaughter house from the 1790s. Shop front had an overhanging canopy with timber post supports where there are iron hooks for hanging meat. On the roof is "C Jones Family Butchers Estd 1750".
Woodside Academy. Woodside junior mixed and infants’ school was opened as Wood Street Board School in 1899 and a junior department opened in 1901. The Walthamstow School Board, established in 1880, had built thirteen schools by 1903 when elementary schools came under the Urban District Council. This is a good example of the one-storey earlier type built by WA. Longmore, surveyor to the Board . It has three buildings with steep roofs, one retaining a cupola.  The school was reorganized for juniors and infants in 1945. It has now given itself academy status.
Library. Built in 1939 but opened only in 1950, by E G. Southgate, Borough Architect.  It is a stone building, in a Moderne style, with a curved corner.
Mural. Alongside the library. Wood Street Talk by Vic Lee
Woodside Park Avenue
A gated road which follows the line of the formal avenue which originally was a feature of Clock House. a pond at the end remains from more elaborate water features.

Wyatts Lane
Grass patch. At the corner with Shernhall Street is a grass patch, legally part of Epping Forest. There are no trees but there is a lamppost

Bowyer, Curtis & Ellingham. Some old Walthamstow Houses
Cinema Theatres Association. Newsletter
Connor & Halford.  Forgotten Stations of Greater London
Connor. Liverpool Street to Chingford
Law and Barry. The Forest in Walthamstow and Chingford
London Borough of Waltham Forest. Web site
Lost Hospitals of London. Web site
Lost Pubs Project. Web site.
NoMow. Web site
Pevsner & Cherry. Essex

Pond. The Chingford Line
St. Mary’s Primary School. Web site
Victoria County History. Essex
Walford. Village London.
Waltham Forest Oral History Workshop. Web site
Walthamstow Memories. Web site

Friday, 17 October 2014

Great Eastern Railway Liverpool Street to Chingford. Walthamstow

The Great Eastern Railway from Liverpool Street to Chingford
The rail line running north from Walthamstow Central Station continues to run north westwards

Post to the south Walthamstow Hoe Street
Post to the west Walthamstow
Post to the east Walthamstow Wood Street

Atlee Terrace
A road named after a Labour Prime Minister – rarely found.

Aubrey Road
This road was previously called Cut-throat Lane. It is now said to be part of ‘Poets Corner’ with road names all after famous poets.  It is basically a back road to houses in Howard Road, which it predates. It has a ‘little free library’ outside one of the houses.
4a The Sclerine Crystal Company. This is a company making parts for crystal wireless sets in 1925
Badlis Road
Built by Warner Estates in 1900 and named after an Essex farm owned by the family

Bedford Road
2-4 Walthamstow Sri Katpaga Vinayagar Temple. This was Foresters Hall. The elephant-headed figure on the front of the Temple is Ganesha regarded as the remover of obstacles, the patron of education, knowledge and wisdom in both science and the fine arts.

Bishop’s Close
The area now built up was the site of the gardens of the house called The Chestnuts now in the centre of the road. It may have been built as a boys' school in 1820
Chestnuts. This house was built in the early 19th.  It was apparently built as a pair of houses perhaps by the Monoux school headmaster as home for himself plus accommodation for boarders

Cairo Road
Church Hill Baptist church. This is a church which is part of a modern block of flats. Church Hill Baptist church, also called Cairo Road church, was formed though a union of Zion, Maynard Road, and Commercial Street church. This was effected when the Particular Baptists of commercial Street, Wapping, sold their premises and in 1911 invited Zion to join them in building a new church here. The new church was opened as Commercial Street Memorial church. The current building of flats and church is called Kevan House after a previous minister.

Chingford Road
31 a double fronted building used as a dentist. On the gable are terracotta heads with oak and thistle motifs

Church Hill
Flats with a pattern of angled balconies and decorative wall panels. This appears to be an extension to the Central Parade and clock tower in Hoe Street built in 1958-64.  The site replaced shops and Hitchman's Dairy Depot which were wiped out by a V2 in 1944
1 Ross Wyld Hall. Ross Wyld was a Walthamstow Councillor during the Second World War. A hall was incorporated in the new development on the site which had had the rocket attack and named after him.  It is currently in use by a day nursery.
6-10 Churchill Business Centre. This was built to compliment the Central Parade opposite in the early 1960s and was used by the Inland Revenue.  It has leaf designs on the facade of the upper storeys.
Methodist Church. This began in a as a church at Prospect Hill in 1872.  In 1898 a new church was opened on Church Hill.  In 1941 its manse was demolished by bombing. In 1944 the church itself was destroyed by bombing.  The site was later sold for offices and is now under the business centre.
A mission was built on the south side of the road by a Mrs. Carter of the Limes, Shernhall Street, before 1882 and later taken over by Trinity Congregational Church.  In 1925 it was passed to the London City Mission and they rebuilt it in 1951.  It closed in 1970.
12 House dating from 1892.  This has housed a series of government and local government bodies – currently Waltham Forest Music Service which provides support to schools for tuition and loan of instruments.   There are also the offices of Barnardos adoption and fostering service, and Waltham Forest Children’s Rights undertaken with Barnardos. In the past the building has housed the National Assistance Board among other bodies.
27 Royal Mail Sorting Office. Built in 1965 by the Ministry of Public Buildings and Works
29 Energy House. This was built as the local authority's electricity showrooms in 1937 by T.F.Cunningham, Borough Engineer and Surveyor.  It was then called “Electricity House” and on nationalisation passed to the London Electricity Board.  It is a plain building in a grand manner and now used as offices. Drill hall.  This was in a house called Walthamstow Lodge. It was the Head Quarters of the 7th battalion Essex Territorials. Dating from at least the 1890s having moved from what is now the Vestry Museum.  The drill hall closed in the 1950s and a war memorial which had been outside it commemorating the dead is now at Whipps Cross. 
Church Hill House. Built in 1794 this was on the north side of Church Hill.  The house was bought by Mr. Thomas Vigne in 1830 followed by other wealthy families. In 1890 became the home of the Walthamstow High School for Girls. In 1918 it became the home of the local branch of the Y.M.C.A. set up as a memorial to the dead of the Great War. It provided gymnastics, football, harriers, swimming and other clubs, as well as concerts and lectures in a large hut which was specially built. Its status as a war memorial was displayed in gilt lettering along the top of the building. Church House was demolished in 1933 and the YMCA is now elsewhere in the borough.
Walthamstow School for Girls.  Built 1911-13 by C.J. Dawson with a brick English Baroque front. The girls wear green uniforms and thus it is known as the ‘green school’.  The school began as a private school in 1890 with a committee of subscribers. It but moved to Church Hill House a few months after its start.  The school was taken over by the county council in 1911, and in 1913 moved to new buildings on the old vicarage glebe. It was enlarged in 1918, 1928–9, and 1962 and recently refurbished.
The Greek Theatre is in the gardens of The Girls' High School. It was built in the 1920s by unemployed local labour and in 1925 featured Sybil Thorndike in the role of Medea. It consists of a circular arena with steps up to a stage on one side and a pillared portico on the other.
50 Church of the Nazarene. This was Moreia Church which began in the area in 1901, when Welsh residents met began to meet and used various buildings in the area including in the late 1920s the Y.M.C.A. hall on Church Hill until it was sold in 1932.  D. A. Davies bought Church Hill House, demolished it, and converted the stable in 1933 into the Moreia church.  In 1958 a new church was built in Leytonstone and the Moreia church was taken over by the Church of the Nazarene.
Monoux Almshouses. A row of cottages with a higher building in the centre originating in 1527 but later rebuilt. They were founded by local benefactor, George Monoux, City merchant and Lord Mayor in 1544. There were fourteen houses plus a Grammar School for Boys. The long timber framed range was intended as residences for a schoolmaster, parish clerk and alms priest. It was planned as six single-room dwellings with a schoolroom above. Other upper rooms were to be available for local events. In 1782 Walthamstow Parish took over the charities and the building was thereafter maintained. The range with a classical entrance now appears to be the earliest part, but it is a reconstruction after war damage, done in 1955 by Braddell & Laurence; the rendered part was rebuilt in c. 1730.  The school moved elsewhere in 1819.  The almshouses have been managed since 1957 are now managed by the Walthamstow and Chingford Almshouse Charity which is based in the buildings. The surrounding garden has lawns and borders although in the 19th residents were responsible for their own gardens with a privy at the end of the plot. The boundary with the churchyard is now poorly defined but the gardens have mown grass while the graveyard is left unmown for wildlife. There are also planted commemorative trees and benches. A plaque on the building describes their history and shows a bearded man holding shovel in one hand and a shepherd's crook in the other and has a dog at his feet. A woman has a goose at her feet.
Parsonage of St Mary's church.  This dates from 1903 but is the successor to several others.  It is a substantial Edwardian property now part of the school.
115 Fairmount. 19th house built as the home of Francis Wragg in 1870s. Would have had amazing views when built

Church Lane
St Mary’s Church. This was once the centre of the village. It is a 12th church on a Saxon site and is likely to have been a substantial building by the 13th.  It was founded in the early 12th by Ralph de Toni, Lord of Walthamstow’s Toni Manor. The 15th tower is of the late medieval Thames Valley type, with a 15th carved roundel with lamb and flag.  The tower was rebuilt in 1535 with funding from George Monoux. In the 18th galleries were built for an enlarged congregation and the current windows were inserted. Much of the church was increased in height at the same time. The church itself is covered by rendering and yellow brick refacing done in 1817-18 by Charles Bacon. In 1876, Georgian box pews and ceilings were removed.  There are two 16th chapels built for Sir George Monoux and Robert Thorne.  Oak panelling was installed as a Great War memorial. The chancel extension and vestry date from 1938 and choir stalls were given by Sir William Mallinson in 1939 as a memorial to his father.  There was serious damage during the Second World War when, in 1940 the south aisle roof was destroyed and a gallery was subsequently demolished to provide timber for the repair. In 1944 a bomb damaged the church tower. . There s a brass to Sir George Monoux, of 1543 and his wife with two small kneeling figures and some other brasses and monuments. In 1995 extensive refurbishment took place, which included reflooring and creating a larger entrance area. Some oak beams discovered during the work would be refurbished and left exposed.
Churchyard. Railed and crowded - rails were removed in 1942 to provide scrap for the war effort but replaced in 1955. There are some 1300 visible monuments with probably 26,000 burials and there are four listed tombs. It is divided into four railed areas with public access to only two but it is bisected by paths. There are the war graves of three dead in the Great War and nine of the Second World War.  There are some interesting tombs - for example that of the sugar merchants Dobree has carvings of sugar lumps. There are two mass graves, one of them was for victims of the Black Death in the 14h and the other for those of The Great Plague of 1665
2-8 The Ancient House. This 15th house was built on the site of the manor house of Toni on Berry Field. It was divided up in the 18th and restored 1934 having been used as a bicycle shop and a tea room. It is a complete timber-framed hall house of the 15th with crown-post roof, and jettied and gabled wings. The three-bay wing fates from the 16th.  In 1934 the work was done by C.J. Brewin with advice from SPAB; the work done by Fullers the builders in 1934 as a memorial to W G Fuller after his death. Weatherboarding was removed from the exterior, to reveal the medieval timber frame, which was strengthened by steel ties. More repairs were done in 2001-2 by Butler & Hegarty. Beside the later addition bow window a section of the old wattle and daub is shown behind glass. The pavement in front of the building has been cut away and replaced by glass to show the original ground level which has risen over six centuries. It is now used as housing.
Welcome Centre. St Mary's Infants School. This was originally held in a barn in 1824 by the vicar. In 1828 a school was built in the churchyard and was a preparatory school for poor children, who went on to the National school. By 1882 the school was known as the Central Infants School. It became a voluntary controlled school in 1951. The building of 1828 has a front of yellow brick. In 1928 the building was restored and later extended. Now in use as a community centre.
National Spiritualist church. Frugal buildings for St Mary's National Boys' school, with plaque dated 1819. St. Mary's National school was built in 1819 to replace the girls Blue school, which since 1782 had been run by the vestry along with the Monoux school foundations. The new school took children several local schools. It had teachers' houses attached, and was enlarged in 1825 and subsequently. In 1866 the boys were transferred to a new building while the girls remained here, and changed round in 1904. The school closed in 1906 and the building was sold in 1920.
Diamond Jubilee Meadow. Green area next to the ancient house – planted out for the Diamond Jubilee.
Pillar Box. Penfold style pillar box, octagonal and probably from 1865.

Church Passage
This was a main road in the middle ages as the extension Church Lane to what is now St Marys Road.
House which is 2.5s metres wide on the outside. The interior is less.

East Avenue
12 International Muslim Movement. Cultural Centre. This is in what seems to have been part of a clothing factory in St. Mary Road.

Folkestone Road
Potters House Christian Centre.  This began when a missionary couple came to London in the 1980s from Australia. Folkestone Road hall previously belong to the Brethren and may have originated in missions held at the town hall in 1884. The hall was enlarged in 1887 and a new hall opened in 1889. It was rebuilt in 1963.

Forest Road
Lloyd Park  (the majority of the park is in the square to the north, - this square only covers the area of the gallery southwards.
Lloyd Park is named after newspaper publisher Edward Lloyd, whose son Frank gave the estate to the council in 1898. It had been previously known as Winns, from a family who once lived there.  It was opened by Sam Woods MP, in 1900.
William Morris Gallery. The gallery is devoted to the life and legacy of William Morris: designer, craftsman, and socialist. This large house was called the Water House, from the square moat in the grounds to the north. The house is probably dates from 1750 with a remodeled front. It is shown on a map of 1758 and a brick dated 1740 has been found in an upper wall. William Morris’s family lived here from 1847 followed by publisher, Edward Lloyd. It was then owned by the Council and between 1911-1943 it was called Lloyd Park Mansion and was used for a children’s clinic. Morris had died in 1896 and proposals for a museum were made in 1900 and definite plans were made in 1934. It was opened by Prime Minister Clement Attlee in 1950. In 2011 the Gallery had a major redevelopment and now includes a tea room.
The parts of the park nearest the house. When the area became a public park the grounds immediately surrounding the Water House were cleared and land to the east was built over. A bowling green was laid out north-west of the house, used by the Walthamstow Ladies Bowls Club. A small 'scented garden for the visually impaired' was located nearby.  Behind the house balustraded terraces were laid out by the Council in 1899, with municipal-style bedding and coniferous trees and beyond that were a modern wooden aviary, since removed. There is a Judas tree at the eastern side of the house, and at the back are some golden cypresses the largest of that variety in Britain. To commemorate the centenary of the park a time capsule was buried in the lawn outside the Gallery in 2000.
434 Lloyd Park Methodist Church Central Hall was built in 1914 following use of an iron church, Lloyd Park Hall, in 1903.  The new Central Hall had with shops for letting plus an institute added in 1923. It was Bombed in the Second World War and closed although services were held in the institute because of debt.  It was eventually sold to the Salvation Army
434 Salvation Army. The Walthamstow Citadel originated in a tent mission. A Citadel, with shops below was designed by W. Gilbee Scott and built in 1891–2 on the site of Ball's boxing booths. In 1958 the Army bought the former Lloyd Park Methodist church, and it was registered as the Citadel in 1961.  This now forms a block in Forest Road with shops on the grand floor and a shop for the Army itself at one end.
590 Brookscroft. House from the mid 18th 1760 in brick. The house was originally built between 1554 and 1568 and belonged to the Bonnell family from 1686 until the mid 18th, when it was rebuilt.  It was the home of one of the numerous sons of Robert Wigram the shipbuilder.  It is now divided into flats but was previously used as a welfare centre.
617 Bell Pub. This provides a focal point for the area, and the licence dates from at least 1860. It is a decorative 19th pub by Lewcock & Collcott with stucco, faience & polished granite decoration. It replaced an earlier beer house of the same name.
642 YMCA building. Complex built in 1969 designed by Kenneth Lindy. They provide homeless accommodation for young people, sports facilities and other services.
644 Guardian House. The Walthamstow Press Ltd. was formed in 1923 to print the Walthamstow Guardian, founded in 1876. It was initially based in a print works in the High Street empty because the printer had died. In 1935 it moved to Guardian House, where a new foundry and rotary plant were installed. The site is now Hallingbury Court flats.
656 Hookways built a factory in 1899 and moved to Hoe Street from Aldersgate Street.  They made collars, braces, and umbrellas and by 1849 made poplin shirts.  By 1949 making better class poplin shirts
Chestnut Farm. This became the site of the civic centre. The farm was latterly owned by Hitchmans Dairy and used for grazing. It was previously known as Clay Hall.
Civic Centre.  An art deco group with the Town Hall, Assembly Hall built 1937-43 and Courts built 1972-3. A competition to build the centre was won in 1932 by P.D. Hepworth with this Swedish influenced design and on a scale larger than the government buildings of many nation states.  Only two of the intended buildings were begun and the work was limited by wartime restrictions.
Town Hall.  This was built in 1941 by P. Hepworth. Only the carcasses of offices and hall block had been finished by 1939 and they were completed under wartime conditions. It is in a landscaped setting, behind a formal forecourt with circular fountain which was renewed in 1999.  The offices are in the main block with a copper faced clock tower – itself simpler than intended with fibreglass uplighters painted to imitate metal. Sculpted figures on the outside of the council chamber are by John F. Kavanagh - the head of Fellowship modelled on William Morris and they also represent Motherhood, Work, Recreation and Education. Panels In the committee rooms are of locally made plywood and in the council chamber wartime economy led to the reuse of Victorian furnishings from the old town hall in Orford Road. The centre itself was used by the ARP during the war and this fortified basement later became a Cold War shelter.
War Memorial in front of the town hall is a mourning figure in granite standing beside a structure. In 1922 this was originally sited in Lloyd Park and moved here in 1961. The nose is broken off the statue. Later inscriptions commemorate the Second World War and subsequent conflicts. There is an inscription ‘OUR GLORIOUS DEAD “LEST WE FORGET” 1914-1918 1939-1945' and ' IN MEMORY OF THE FALLEN OF WALTHAMSTOW 1945 TO THE PRESENT DAY'
Assembly Hall. This is also by P. Hepworth opened in 1943 in the same Swedish influence design. Inside is a full-height foyer with a high star-shaped window. The hall also has large windows, a stage.  Outside are sculptures of Comedy and Tragedy by Irish sculptor John Francis Kavanagh
Court House. Built 1972-3 by the Greater London Council’s Special Works Department under Geoffrey E. Horsfall. It is in reinforced concrete faced with Portland stone. This was the first scheme to carry out the 1969 recommendations for new Magistrates Courts in London.  There are five informal, flexibly planned courts on the first floor, with lighting through the roof and a Juvenile court on the ground floor. The various court entrances and car parks are tucked away as Hepworth had envisaged
Beacon in front of the Magistrate's Court. This gas-burning structure was set up to celebrate the new "millennium" on December 31st 1999.
707 Waltham Forest College.  This was built as South West Essex Technical College and School of Art in 1938 by John Stuart, Essex County Architect and it replaced Walthamstow and Leyton Colleges of Art and two trade schools. It later became North East London Polytechnic and then the University of East London.  It is next to the Civic Centre, and equally grand with a long brick building with a portico and a pediment with carvings, and some flat reliefs said to be by Eric Gill or by Bradford. During the Second World War it was used to provide technical training for military personnel; by the RAF in 1940, by the army in 1941 and by the navy in 1942 – when it was reclassified as a ship called HMS Shrapnel 
Plough. In front of the college. The area was once a series of clearings in Epping Forest which were farmed.
Gillards Way
Gillard & Co. Ltd., pickle factory built in 1931.  From 1892 they were also at a site in the High street - the Chestnuts which they renamed the Vintry Works. They also made pies and sausages here as well as chutney, sauces and condiments.

Greenleaf Road
Ruarch City Church. Founded in Brixton in 1992. This building was St Luke’s church and hall. It was built in 1901-02 by Bottle and Olley and the chancel was extended in 1923. The church originated in 1900–1 as a mission of St. Mary's and a parish was formed in 1903. It is in brown and red brick with a small tower.
4 Greenleaf Road Baptist Church. This began in 1902 in a tent mission sponsored on Church Hill. A group then met in Hoe Street until 1903 when Forest Road Board School was hired. A church was formed in 1905 and a school-chapel opened and registered in 1906 as the Central Baptist Hall. The Tabernacle was destroyed by bombing in 1944, but services continued in a hall. The rebuilt Tabernacle, a contemporary compact building, opened in 1949.
William Morris Community Centre. This was opened in 1987. This council owned building is currently run by the William Morris Community Centre Users Association.

Hatherley Mews
Hatherley Mews Offices. Business area with 19th buildings complemented by a new office block.

Hawthorne Road
1 Aladura International Church.  A Nigerian inspired church dating from 1970. The building was a Methodist Mission Hall originating in 1880. A church was built in 1882 with financial aid from John Hitchman. It had closed by 1917, and was bought in 1924 by St. Luke's church as a parish hall. In 1964 the building was bought by the borough council for demolition, but continued in use as a store

High Street
The road was originally called Marsh Street
Central Library. Built in 1907 by V K Dunford and funded by Andrew Carnegie. The upper room was planned as a public hall with a stage and is reached by a carved timber staircase restored after fire damage in 1982.  The building was to the front of a house to which a reading room was added in 1894, probably by Lewis Angell and this survives. Extensions have been built to the rear and include a new single storey children library on and a reception/entrance foyer with a lift to the first floor
Public Hall & Baths. These were built in 1900 designed by architect William Dunfield and could be used as a public hall in winter. They included a swimming pool and slipper in bath. Demolished in 1968
George Monoux School. This was next to the baths and opened in 1889. This grammar school was originally founded in 1527 by Sir George Monoux., and was reorganised in 1884.  It moved from here to Chingford in 1927.
182 Carlton Cinema.  This was on the corner with Colebrook Road. It was opened on 1913. It had a white stone front with an open balcony. It was renovated in 1959, and closed in 1964. The front part of the building was demolished and the auditorium turned into a supermarket. It was demolished in 1986, and the site has been re-developed.
195-197 Palace Theatre. This was on the north side of the road east of Erskine Road. It opened in 1903 and was operated, designed and built by the same company as other Palace theatre’s in London.  There were towers on each end of its red brick facade. There was a stage and eight dressing rooms. It was a music hall and variety theatre which also screened films. They also staged plays. In later years there were circuses, annual pantomimes and even nude shows. In 1952 it was taken over by Countess de la Marr, and became a playhouse but closed in 1954. The building was eventually left abandoned and became derelict. It was demolished in 1960, and shops and flats called Palace Parade were built on the site.
Congregational Church.  Marsh Street Church is said to have originated in 1672, when a house was licensed for Presbyterian meetings and a meeting-house was built in 1695 on the north side of the road. This was later pulled down but the site was conveyed to the congregation and a new meeting-house for Presbyterian worship was built in 1739.  In 1786 evangelical members seceded to form a New Meeting. The Old Meeting survived to the 1830s and the chapel still existed in 1839 but it had been pulled down by 1861. The New Meeting opened in 1787 on a site on the south side of the road part of which became a burial ground. In 1868 the Charity Commissioners agreed that the site of the Old Meeting should be transferred to the New Meeting trustees to build a larger church and a new church, on the Old Meeting site, opened in 1871 in stone to the design of John Tarring & Son. Conway Hall was added in 1899. As a result of bomb damage in 1944 the steeple became unsafe and was taken down in 1954 and the church itself closed in 1965.

Hoe Street
1 The Empire Cinema opened in 1913. It was built for the Good Brothers, local builders merchants, who operated other local cinemas, all of which were taken over by Hamilton Cinemas Ltd. in 1933 and closed two months later. The Empire Cinema was taken over by Amusements (Leyton) Ltd. and re-opened in 1933 but by 1937 it was operated by Clavering & Rose. In 1961 it was re-named Cameo Cinema and Closed in 1963. It became a bingo club, and showed Bollywood films. It was taken over by Classic Cinemas re-opened as a Tatler Cinema Club in 1970, screening sex films to ‘members only’ and this closed in 1981. It was converted into an amusement arcade, and then the Hurricane Room, a snooker club. Now said to have been taken over by a religious organisation.
5-7 Kingdom Hall. Fiesta Co-operative hall originally Salvation Army. Jehovah Witness from 1963 Jehovah's Witnesses bought the Fiesta Co-operative hall (originally a Salvation Army hall) in Hoe Street in 1962 and registered it as Kingdom hall in 1963; they were still worshipping there in 1970
9-11 The Hoe Street Working Mens' Club
15 Knitwell Works. Red brick factory building owned by H.E.Hughsley. The office suite faces Hoe Street with a workshop/warehouse to the rear. Hughsley was also based in Oatlands Rise and St.Mary Road and made children’s knitted outerwear. They went out of business in 1984.
17 Walthamstow Trades Hall. The entrance to this is in Tower Hamlets Road.
55 Ye Olde Rose and Crown. Landmark late 19th pub with a corner turret. This includes a small theatre.
186 Victoria Hall. This opened in 1887. It was used for dances and concerts. After 1896, it was used as a live theatre and later re-named King’s Theatre.  From 1907 it was again called Victoria Hall, and showed films. It was changed again in 1921 and this time re-opened as the Victoria Picture Theatre. In 1930, it was purchased by Sydney Bernstein, and demolished.
186 The Granada Theatre was the second Granada Theatre to be opened and replaced the Victoria Hall in 1930. It was designed by Cecil Masey with a restaurant, and shops. Inside it was designed by Theodore Komisarjevsky. There was a stage and a 12Ranks Christie organ, with two 3Manual consoles. In the 1950’s and 1960’s there were Pantomimes, and pop concerts. In 1973, the Granada Theatre was tripled. In 1989, it was taken over by the Cannon Group and re-named but by 1995, the Virgin Group had taken over. ABC it took over in 1996, and it was re-named ABC. And then they were taken over by Odeon Theatres Ltd. who closed it – but said no future user could screen English language films. . The cinema was purchased by another operator, and it re-named EMD Cinema, screening Bollywood films. It closed in 2003.  It had been sold to the United Church of the Kingdom of God based in Brazil but they were refused planning consent and a long train of offers and public Central Parade built in 1958 and finished in 1964. It consists of flats, shops, hall and clock tower.  There is a wavy canopy of concrete over shop fronts and flats above. The Clock Tower has by mosaic decoration with coats of arms. This was designed by F.G.Southgate, the then Borough Engineer and Architect.  It was built on the site of shops and a dairy which suffered a hit from a V1.
enquiries ensued. The cinema is still open as a pub.
264 The Goose. Previously called The Goose and Granite. Late 19th pub originally the Tower Hotel
Jewel Road
1a Quaker Meeting Rooms. There has been a meeting of the Religious Society of Friends in Walthamstow since At the start of the 20th they the Quakers ran an adult education centre at the Bedford Institute in Greenleaf Road. They moved to this building which had been a 19th print works in 1998.

Orford Road
Connaught Hospital.  In the late 19th a Mr. and Mrs. Tudor opened a 'Cottage for Sick Children' in a private house, in larger premises in 1880 it was called the Leyton, Walthamstow and Wanstead Hospital.   In 1894 the hospital was given Holmcroft in Orford Road and it was renamed the Children's and General Hospital for Leyton, Leytonstone, Walthamstow and Wanstead.  It was subsequently enlarged in and a War Memorial Ward was added in 1927.  In 1928 it was renamed the Connaught Hospital after the Duchess of Connaught who was a patron. Another house in Orford Road,   Comely Bank, became a clinic in 1930 and in 1959, the old Walthamstow Town Hall, became the main entrance to the hospital.  The Hospital closed in 1977.  Most of the buildings have been demolished and housing built on the site.
9 Nags Head.  Cat friendly pub dating to 1859s. The pub was originally on the corner with Church Lane but was demolished and replaced.
Old Coach House. It was built for by Francis Wragg who ran a stagecoach service into London

Prospect Hill
16 site of St.Columba’s Presbyterian Church of England. This church originated as a Methodist church in 1872. In 1898 the Methodists moved elsewhere and the church was taken over by the Presbyterians. They built a new church here 1906 but it was bombed in 1941. It was rebuilt again in 1957 but closed in 1968 and demolished in 1971. There are now flats on the site called St.Columba’s House.

Saint Mary Road
1 factory building used by Threekay Knitwear who made outerwear. They went out of business in 1993. The building is now flats.

The Drive
Emmanuel Community School. This is a ‘free’ school with a Christian ethos which moved onto the site of St Mary's Primary School when that school moved to Brooke Road in 2012. The school building was By TFP Architects in 1970-2. It has paired classrooms around a central hall.

Tower Hamlets Road
2 Brown Jug off-licence. This is now converted into a house.
H. C. Jones & Sons (Walthamstow) Ltd., were sheet metalworkers here before 1901. By 1957 the firm were specialising in dustbins. They moved away in the early 1960s.

Vestry Road
Vestry Road Play Park. Pathway with mosaic stepping stones.  The park was once part of Church Common part of which was taken for a cutting for the railway.  There was a long argument about this stretch which was used by the school as a playground and the original requirement was for a tunnel. The railway gave land now in Selbourne Road in compensation for loss of the stretch now in the cutting.
Borough Museum. Vestry House – this is also called the old Armoury or the Workhouse, and more recently the Borough Museum.  In 1730 Walthamstow Parish built a simple eight roomed house on Buryfield, part of the Church Common as a Workhouse and for Vestry meetings. It was subsequently enlarged including a brewhouse in the 1740s. The dormitories were on the upper floor with workshops behind.  On the date plaque, carved by Samuel Chandler of Wanstead, is 'if any should not work neither should he eat’. At the side of the original front is an 18th extension which was built as the vestry room. It later became the armoury of the Walthamstow Volunteers and from 1892 used by the Walthamstow Literary and Scientific Institute museum.  It was also used as a private house. It became a museum in 1931. In 2001 David Gibson Architects, added a community room overlooking a formal garden. Various exhibits outside the building include a Corinthian column. A notice on the side of building describes the watch house which was built in 1765 and was also known as 'The Cage' in which miscreants would he held until they could appear before the magistrate. This stood alongside and was demolished in 1912
Fire Engine House. This is opposite the Museum and housed the local fire engine. This was a water pump which had to be pushed around by the firemen, but used horses after 1863.
Squires Almshouses. These were built in 1795, and are single storey brick buildings. They were built in 1795 by Mary Squires for six ‘decayed’ widows of Walthamstow tradesmen who were members of the established church. A plaque says “ Thefe houfes are ERECTED and ENDOWED For EVER By Mrs Mary Squires for the Ufe of Six Decayed Tradefmans Widows of this Parifh and no other.Ano. Domi. 1795.
Mosque and Sakina Trust. Islamic Centre.  This is in the former Post Office Sorting Office built in  1903, with a terracotta frieze and central pediment. It was converted in 1995 by Sayyid Nakhavi.

Vinegar Alley
Said to be the site of two plaque pits

Walthamstow Town Square
This is an area of cleared and derelict sites where a new public space has been laid out since 2010. The Town Square is marked out by a rectangle of paving slabs and a double row of pre-existing plane trees lie along two sides of the square. There is new lighting through high level masts and other environmental improvements. The High Street forms the northern boundary and to the west is the blank brick façade of the Selbourne Walk Shopping Centre. To the east are building in everyday use a bank, the post office and the library. South of the Square is a green space, the Town Gardens. This is adjacent to the bus terminal and to the shopping centre building which has an entrance to the Gardens. The railway/tube station entrances directly opposite the Gardens.

Westbury Road
Job Centre
Unichem depot, closed 2001

Aladura International Church. Web site
British Listed Buildings. Web site
CABE. Web site
Church of the Nazarene. Web site
Cinema Theatres Association Newsletter
Clunn. The Face of London
Dodds. London Then
East London Old and New
English Heritage. Web site
Field. London Place Names
Grace’s Guide. Web site
Lambert. London Night and Day,
Law. Walthamstow Village
London Borough of Waltham Forest. Walthamstow Village. Conservation Area
London Borough of Waltham Forest. Vestiges
London Borough of Waltham Forest. Web site
London Encyclopedia
London Gardens Online. Web site
Lost Hospitals of London.
Nags Head. Web site

Osborne. Defending London
Pevsner and Cherry. Essex

Pond. The Chingford Line
Ruach Church. Web site
Victoria County History. Walthamstow
Walford. Village London
Walthamstow and Chingford Almshouse Charity. Web site
Walthamstow Girls School. Web site.
Walthamstow’s Free Art. Web site
Walthamstow Memories. Web site

Sunday, 12 October 2014

Great Eastern Railway from Liverpool Street to Chingford. Upper Clapton

Great Eastern Railway to Chingford. The line running north from Hackney Downs station swings north eastwards to Clapton Station and beyond

Post to the south Hackney Downs
Post to the north Springfield
Post to the east Lea Bridge

Benthal Road
Benthal Primary School. The site of the school was a brick field in 1868 and we can guess that this is where the majority of bricks were made for the houses in the area. The school opened in 1876 as Rendalsham Road School but the name was changed to Benthal Road School in 1903. During the Second World War the school was hit by a high explosive bomb in 1940 and had to be closed. It was rebuilt in 1949 very quickly and each class was lit by a large central roof light. In 1966 a new infant school was built which was later used as the junior school and the buildings are linked by a corridor. Benthal was the first school to be designed by Paul Maas designed buildings and archways to be like caves or tents and makes up is a low cluster with classrooms of deliberately varied shapes, and a playground on different levels.  The junior and infants schools were amalgamated in 2006.
Island Mural. This is on the west side of the road on the corner with Evering Road.

Brooke Road
Previously called World’s End. The street name recalls Brooke House which stood in Upper Clapton Road at the end of Brooke Road and which was demolished after war damage.
Hunsdon Estate. This Hackney estate was built in the mid-1960s in the grounds of what had been Brooke House.
Clapton Sorting office. This was built in 1892 by the Royal Mail’s then job architect.

Casmir Road
Beecholme Estate. The estate dates from the late 1940s. It appears to be designed to face onto North Millfields. It was designed by Frederick Gibberd, working with Borough Engineer, G.L.Downing.  The site may be part of the site of Beecholme House, which may have been the home of Maj. John André who was executed in the American War of Independence in 1780.

Cazenove Road
The road was named after a house called ‘The Cazenoves’ that once stood in Upper Clapton Road.
124 Nelson Mandela House. This was originally called Morley House and built in 1938. It was renamed Nelson Mandela House in 1984, It is a long five-storey range by Joseph and the planning of the individual flats was generous at the time. There is a plaque on the building about the renaming and a quotation from Mandela.
122 Chasidey Gur (Avreichium) Beth Hamedrash.  This synagogue dates from 2005 and is Ashkenazi Orthodox associated with the `Union of Orthodox Hebrew Congregations. This was one of the first seven houses built in the street before 1868
120 one of the first seven houses built in the street before 1868
118 Kol Yehuda Synagogue. The name is also given as Yotzei Teimon Beis Hamedrash as a synagogue associated with the Union of Orthodox Hebrew Congregations in  2005. It is more recently listed as Bais Pinchas Serench
116 College and Synagogue at the rear
112 Talmud Torah Education. School for 120 pupils with staff from the local Orthodox Jewish community. In the 1940s this was Rosener Synagogue which seems to have become Chabad Synagogue from 1948. This was an Ashkenazi Orthodox synagogue associated with the Union of Orthodox Hebrew Congregations.  In 1962 it was home to a Polish ritual slaughterman.
88 Satmar Trust School
84-86 Satmar Beth Hamedrash Yetev Lev synagogue managed by The Trustees of the Congregation of the Yetev Lev.  It is an Ashkenazi Orthodox synagogue associated with the Union of Orthodox Hebrew Congregations.  Mesifta Synagogue was registered here from 1960 and Beth Hamedrash Yetiv Lev registered here by 1962. It was also Chassidim Synagogue until about 1948.
111 Yetev Lev (Satmar) School for Boys. Independent Secondary School. Beth Israel synagogue was registered here 1942-7.
Jubilee Primary School. Based in the square to the north in Filey Avenue
79-83 Beis Rochel Satmar Girls School. Independent School.

Charnwood Street
This was once called Caroline Street. It was built on Conduit Field and The LCC declared housing here damp and unhealthy in the 1920s, bought the site and built the current flats in 1936-7
2 Duke of York.  19th pub named after the then commander of the British Army. It was also known as Pudlocks. Demolished in 2003 and the site is now housing.

Comberton Road
10 Comberton Children’s Centre

Ferron Road
Baden Powell Primary School. Opened 1970

Fountaine Road
This was originally Foulden Road
1a Health Centre

Ickborough Road.
Ickborough School. This was opened in 1970 for children with severe learning difficulties. The original building had been acquired from Hackney Council’s Health Department and built by the London County Council in the early 1960s.  It had been used as a training centre by the Borough and replaced a sports area. For the school a replacement prototype for disabled children was designed by Foster Associates in 1972.  It was the result of a research project undertaken by what was then known as the Spastics Society. In order to test out the ideas of this research this prototype was built. It is a long, single-storey steel-framed building with a protruding covered roof deck. It resembles an industrial shed and is made of corrugated steel. There s a central service core running the length of the building, creating a barrier between the public and private areas. It is set back behind trees and grass.  However the school is now moving from this site.

Kenninghall Road
St Scholastica. The Parish of Clapton was founded in 1862. The church was built in 1962 It was designed by J.E. Sterret & B.D. Kaye in pale grey brick with white windows. The front entrance has circular chapels on either side. The church originated with Fathers of Charity (Rosminians) from Kingsland at St. Scholastica's Retreat on part of a site given by Elizabeth Harrison in 1862.  It was intended the church would form one side of a garden.   However it was later decided that a school. chapel would be built instead of a church plus a presbytery for a parish priest.  In 1887 a temporary church was registered in the north east corner of the garden.  In the 1960s this permanent church was built next to the new school following the demolition of the Retreat and was eventually consecrated in 1987. 
St. Scholastica Retreat. This was founded by brother and sister William and Elizabeth  Harrison from the estate of their brother  Robert who had died in 1852 and his widow,Charlotte Scholastica. It was for 40 poor Catholics aged over 60.and with a professional or wholesale background and had lived for ten years in England. They each had a self-contained home in a block around a garden which had been blessed by Cardinal Wiseman. The buildings were by E. W. Pugin and occupied from 1863 and ministered to spiritually by Fathers of Charity. It was demolished in 1972, but continues as a home for aged gentlefolk in Princes Risborough
St. Scholastica Roman Catholic.Primary School. This opened in 1868 as Clapton Roman Catholic School in a building which was also the chapel for the Retreat.  A new building was provided in 1879 and received a parliamentary grant by 1890.  It became voluntary aided by 1951 and Called St. Scholastica from 1972.
Gooch House. 17-storey tower block built for Hackney Council by Harry Moncrieff in 1955-  the first of many. It is concrete-framed with projecting balconies.
Nightingale Estate. Built by the Greater London Council to replace housing in roads north of Hackney Downs, between 1967 and 1972.  It was later seen as a bleak concrete expanse with six point blocks of up to 21 storeys plus linked slabs framing them. These blocks were called Seaton, Embley, Farnell, Rachel, Rathbone, and Southerland Points.  Five of them have since been demolished. During the 1990's the flats fell into disrepair and the Hackney Council decided it get rid of them.  Farnell Point was the first to be felled by controlled explosion in 1998 but at the same time Seaton Point, which still remains, was refurbished and painted white. Embley and Southerland were demolished next in December 2000 with Christmas trees painted on the banners. The last of flats to go were Rathbone and Rachel in 2003.
45 Al Falah Primary School. Al-Falah is an Islamic faith school opened in 2001 as a school for boys only and moved here in 2004. In 2005 it extended its to cater for girls’ also and has expanded successfully
BSix Brooke House Sixth Form College was opened on the site of the of Brooke House school in 2002. Itself built on the site of Brooke House. It was set up by the then Secretary of State for Education, and was part of a plan to build eleven new sixth form colleges in London. BSix offers courses at all levels and across a wide range of subjects.  Hackney education authority, The Learning Trust, introduced a programme to create City Academies in the borough, all with sixth forms and other schools followed. The college has however been seen as making good progress. In 2009 it became Representative Organisation of the Year by the Learning and Skills Improvement Service (LSIS) for its work on student voice and has since won other awards.

Lea Bridge Road
Lea Bridge Roundabout. This area used to be the centre of Clapton.  It was a crossroads where a fountain surmounted by a statue stood in the centre. The statue has disappeared, but the drinking fountain was moved to the corner of Rectory and Amhurst Road in 1908 then to next to the Public Library in Homerton High Street where it remains. In 1974 the roundabout was built by way of a grant of £834,800 from the Department of the Environment to the Greater London Council.  The roundabout had an underpass which proved dangerous and the subways were closed in the 1990s and traffic lights reinstalled. The plans for dual carriageways off the roundabout were never implemented.  The centre has now been adapted into a bus stand to replace the now disused subway network and this was originally used for the bendy buses on route 38 which terminated at Clapton Pond and which was opened in November 2006.  This includes a rest area for the bus drivers. There have also been some Landscaping improvements. A semi-circle of pear trees was planted on the stand to screen vehicles and new grass banks and verges added.
2 Hi Metals. In the 1950s and 1960s this site was an aluminium stockholder.
2a Madina Mosque. The mosque was set up in 1984 by people from a Guajarati background in what had been a warehouse. This is an adaptation of 1987 by Hackney Environmental Action Resource and opened in 1991.  It is in red brick with standard Islamic features - paired ogee-headed windows, domes and a minaret.

Lower Clapton Road
Clapton House was to the north of the pond opposite St. James’ Church and built around  1680.  It was the home of Bishop Thomas Wood (who endowed the nearby almshouses) and then it  was home to  Sir William Chapman of the South Sea Company.  Israel Levin Salomons, a silk merchant, had it  between 1779 and 1781, calling  it Leozhards and spent lavishly on a building which in 1799 formed a 'chapel or private synagogue' .  It was later owned by members of the Powell family. In 1858 it was used leased by the St. John’s Foundation School for Clergy Sons.   It was demolished in 1881 and Thistlethwaite Road built on the site.
St. John's School for the sons of the Clergy, was established first in St. John's Wood in 1852, and then moved to Clapton from 1858 to 1872, and later moved to Leatherhead. While at Clapton the head was Rev, Edward Connerford Hawkins,  his wife Jane Grahame was an  aunt of Kenneth Grahame, author of Wind in the Willows and their son, born in Clapton, was Anthony Hope, author of the Prisoner of Zenda.,
St. James.  The church is opposite Clapton House the Revd. T. B. Powell gave a cottage and land called the strawberry garden as a site for it in 1840 . It was built in 1840 by E. C. Hakewill in stock brick and stone with a polygonal turret and passage to the porch. The Vestries were added in 1902 by W.D. Caroe as well as the organ case, cross and candlesticks.  In 1978 the nave became a centre for handicapped children. It has also been used by the Ethiopian Orthodox Church
The Clapton Cinematograph Theatre on Lower Clapton Road was originally built in 1896 to be used as an assembly/function room for the pub next door. It had an ornate facade to match that of the pub and elaborately decorated plaster decorations on the beams of the barrel vaulted ceiling of the auditorium.  14 years later it was converted into a cinema Designed by George Duckworth called the Clapton Cinematograph and later as the Kenninghall Cinema. It was and converted for sound pictures in 1929. In the late 1930s, it was taken over by Odeon and the frontage was modified. It closed in 1979  and re-opened in 1983 as a nightclub called “Dougie’s”.  It later re-opened as the Palace Pavilion nightclub and became the focus for a number of stabbings and shootings. In 2011 the local Ethiopian Orthodox St Mary of Zion Church – which is currently housed in the St James’ Anglican church bought the building
217a   ABC cinema.  This opened as The Ritz Cinema in 1939. It was built by Associated British Cinemas and designed by their house architect William R. Glen in typical Art Deco style. In 1962 its name was changed to ABC and it closed in 1973. The building was quickly demolished and in 1994 a block of flats was built there.
6 The Clapton Hart Pub. Built as the White Hart Hotel in 1722, it was rebuilt in the 1830s after it was burnt down and again in 1890 perhaps as the result of a gas explosion. It was then a Reid’s house and called the White Hart. by the 1980s it was a Bass Charrington house and by 1983 the pub was trading as Schnapps, It has also been called Stagecoach Inn, and had several identities as a nightclub up to 2001 developing a bad reputation.  It reopened as Chimes - a late-night bar and music venue and the former pub part of the building became unused and derelict before it closed in 2008. It reopened in 2012 as the Clapton Hart Public House

Mount Pleasant Lane
St.Matthew. The church opened in 1866 in an Iron Church and the foundation stone of a new church was laid the following year, the architect of which was Francis Dollman. This church was declared redundant in 1977 having been badly damaged by fire and the Church Hall next door was converted into a church. In 1972 it became part of a group ministry with other local churches.
Patchwork Farm. Food growing site behind the church
86 Sheltered housing for Newlon Housing Trust.  Built on part of a church site. By Anthony Richardson & Partners.  This is in concrete block work and grey aluminium,
Muston Road
Rigby, Battcock Brush factory. This company, originally based in Bethnal Green, made a wide range of brushes and related items.
Ablex Pyjamas Factory. This was here in the 1930s
Frenchs Case factory in the road 1920s- 1940s. They made luggage of all kinds

Narford Road
Narford Road took a direct hit from a VI Flying Bomb during the Second World War and the Northwold Road end was largely destroyed, being replaced during the  1950s and 1970s by low blocks of Local Authority flats.

Northwold Road
This was once called Dow’s or Kate’s Lane
22-24 St Michael and All Angels. Church built in 1885 on the corner with Fountaine Road. It is in red brick and designed by J.E.K. Cutts. There is also a bell set into the top of the main front wall
Vicarage to the north dates from 1885 and is in brick to match the church
64 Royal Sovereign Pub. Dates from before 1871
Northwold Primary School. There appears to have been a girls' industrial school here in the 1890s. Northwold Road Board School was  opened in 1902 and became separate secondary modern and primary schools by 1949. The secondary school had closed by 1955.  The primary school is now applying for academy status.
Tower works. This was initially Bernard Brock’s piano factory on the site of Bridgeford Close. Brock made upright pianos but is said to have invented the ‘baby’ grand. The factory made about 400 pianos most after Brock’s death.  Tower Works later became a furniture factory remaining untold at least the 1950s.
Amherst works. Greaves and Thomas furniture factory. This lay between Gelderson and Narford Roads and is now the site of modern housing. Greaves & Thomas were the  inventors of the Put-U-Up settee-bed and were on site from 1911 until 1965.
161 Sam and Annie Cohen Wellbeing Centre. Day Centre for disabled people and many others. With a sparkly design over the door.
Clapton Library.  Designed by Edwin Cooper in 1913. The most domestic of three Hackney libraries designed by the distinguished him. It was intended to build a tower, but this did not happen.  The library was refurbished in 2012

Powell Road
St. James National School. This opened by 1846 for girls with land settled in trust by the Powell family in. 1853. It had a parliamentary. grant by 1870.  The nearby boys' school probably opened before 1863, and a new infant school was built next to the girls’ school. It closed as a day school in 1876, following an inspector's report, (but reopened by 1880. It Closed after 1938

Prout Road
The Alf Partridge Community Hall

Rendelsham Road
90 London Tavern. Named for a road opposite which was called London Lane but which was lost following the building of the Nightingale Estate.

Rossendale Street
Previously named Conduit Street and built on Conduit field.  The LCC declared housing here damp and unhealthy in the 1920s, bought the site and built the current flats in 1936-7
16 United Pentecostal Church. The church has been on this site since the 1970s
Second World War bunker.  Built in 1938 a rectangular semi-basement under concrete over 6ft thick. The original equipment inside includes an electric generator powered by a twin bicycle frame.  It is hidden from the road by some converted civil defence garages and forms the basement of a Second World War gas decontamination and cleansing station. In 1988 there were plans to restore the bunker and there was a public open day but since then its condition has deteriorated.

Rossington Street
30 This was the Hope and Anchor pub. It closed in 1993 and the premises are now flats and offices

Stellman Close
44-56 Growing Communities. Food growing site

Thistlethwaite Road
19  plaque to writer Harold Pinter who grew up here.
25 plaque to the site of the first synagogue in the present-day London Borough of Hackney, built 1779-80 in the grounds of Clapton House.

Upper Clapton Road 
18 Old King’s Head. This was the oldest pub in Upper Clapton and featured an Imperial Stout mirror. Closed and apparently flats.
Brooke House. This was a courtyard house of medieval origin and a Dower House for the Queen’s of England.  The earliest recorded house on the site was in 1409.  The home of William Worley, Dean of St.Paul’s in 1479, it was rebuilt in 1560 by Lord Hunsdon. It became known as Brooke House when it was owned by the Greville family.  During the 16th century the house was held by amongst others, Thomas Cromwell and Henry VIII.  In 1536 it was the scene of a reconciliation between Henry VIII and his daughter Mary.  Much still was left of this original house in the 1890s – medieval remains in the cellar, stones by the entrance showing the date of 1573 and marble remains of the hall pavement and much more. Later in the 16th it was the home of Lady Margaret Lennox.
Brooke House. Private asylum. In 1758 William Clarke, leased and converted Brooke House into a private lunatic asylum.  When Clarke died in 1777, he left the asylum to his two brothers - John and the Revd Charles Clarke.  In 1781 the lease was bought by Dr John Monro who had been a friend of William Clarke.  Dr Monro, came from a long line of doctors who specialised in mental disorders and fFrom 1728 to 1853 family members were the principal physicians at Bethlehem Hospital.. Under the 1774 the Madhouses Act a licence for Brooke House was granted to Dr John Monro.   One of Monro's  sons, Thomas took over the licence for Brooke House in 1790. The patients came from the middle and upper classes but their treatment did not differ from patients at Bethlem, except that they were not restrained by chains. In 1820 Dr Thomas Monro and purchased the freehold of Brooke House. During the Second World War  the patients were evacuated and the asylum closed.  In 1940 the north courtyard and its buildings were destroyed by a high explosive bomb.  The asylum did not reopen after the war. In 1944 the London County Council bought the house and estate.  Further bomb damage ensued. Brooke House was demolished in 1954
Brooke House School - was built on the site in 1960. This was built as a secondary school in 1958-60 by Armstrong & MacManus.  It was had two curtain-walled slabs, the taller one with curved staircase drums and then reclad in the 1980s.  It took secondary boys previously pupils at Joseph Priestley and Mount Pleasant schools. It amalgamated with Upton House School to form Homerton House School in 1982.
Hackney College. Brooke House School was extensively altered and became the administrative head quarters of Hackney College in 1990. It has subsequently become Bsix Sixth Form Centre with an address in Kenninghall Road.
Milestone. It is said that the 3rd milestone from Shoreditch stood outside Brook House
The Mount. The Mount was a grand castellated house standing in grounds in the area which is now Mount Pleasant Road.
Mount Works.  This was the factory where Alfred Pridge made Sphinx Ink. Pridge moved into the manufacture of inks in the late 19th. The firm had a branch in Paris, and an emphasis on his export trade. They made blue- black and jet-black non-corroding writing and copying inks, school ink, indestructible marking ink for linen and other fabrics. Ink was also sold in pellet form – just add to water.
Mount Works. Puckridge and Nephew, Ltd. This firm made goldbeaters skins here in the 1890s. They went out of business in 1951
Lea Bridge Tram Depot.  This was the North Metropolitan Tramways horse tram shed opened in 1873, with it and associated stables.  It closed in 1907.  The building retains many original features, granite setts in the yard, tramlines running through the ground floor of the central tram shed building, cast iron colonnades, and stable flooring on the first floor where the horses were originally housed. From 1872 to 1907 trams took commuters to and from the City and West End. One of the horse-trams, which operated from here, is currently displayed in the London Transport Museum in Covent Garden.
Clapton Station. Opened in 1872 by the Great Eastern Company it lies between Tottenham Hale and Hackney Downs and also St. James Street Stations.  Stairways descend to platforms in a cutting.  It was remodelled in 1982 with a new office and bridge done with GLC money and not changing many Great Eastern Railway Company features
85a Congregational Church now United Reform. Services in Upper Clapton began as early as 1812 in a house opposite Brooke House. This was followed by a building on the west side of the road registered in 1813.  It is thought this was opposite Mount Pleasant field and on the site of the Conduit field .It closed in 1850. Another building was erected on an enlarged site by T. Emmet in 1851 with nave, aisles, corner pinnacles and with an assembly hall at rear for Sunday schools. This was damaged in Second World War bombing and services were held in the hall from 1950. A new chapel was built in 1988 by W. B. Attenbrow.
Crooked Billet. The pub was present at least by the early 18th and rebuilt with a tea garden and covered bowling alley after 1840. It was rebuilt again `in the 1950s in brown brick and pitched roofs and an Arts and Craft style. It has a very large rear garden.

Benthal Primary School. Web site
British History Online. Hackney
Bsix College. Wikipedia. Website
Cinema Treasures, Web site
Clarke. Glimpses of Ancient Hackney and Stoke Newington
Connor. Liverpool Street to Chingford
Grace’s Guide. Web site
Hackney  Society Newsletter
Ickborough School. Web site
JewishGen. Web site
London Borough of Hackney. Web site
Lost Hospitals of London. Web site
Lost Pubs. Web site
Mosque Directory. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry.  London North
Summerson. Georgian London
St. Scholastica. Web site
St. Scholastica’s Retreat. Web site
St. Scholastica Primary School. Web site
The Clapton Hart. Web site