Posts

Showing posts from April, 2020

South Norwood

Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre .  At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis

Harlesden Stonebridge

Post to the west Park Royal Post to the north Stonebridge Acton Lane Old substation.  This appears to be a railway electrification related building. Now in use by small business Harlesden Station This opened in 1912 and lies between Stonebridge Park and Willesden Junction on the Bakerloo Line and also on London Overground into Euston. London North West Railway. The story is however more complicated than that. The first railway station nearby – about 50 yards away – was called Willesden and it was opened in 1841 by the London and Birmingham Railway on what became their main line to Birmingham and beyond. It had wooden platforms beside two tracks, a small wooden ticket office and a coal siding. It closed, reopened in 1844 and closed finally when Willesden Junction station opened half a mile away in 1866. On 15 June 1912 the London North West Railway opened a new station here called Harleston. This was on a ‘new line’ opened between Euston Station and Watford. Five years later the

Hangar Lane

Post to the north Alperton Post to the west Brentham Bispham Road Road of houses, probably late 1930s. The end of the road has flats, probably 1970s or 1980s. One block of flats appears be called Mountrath and this must be a reference to the previous building here, with that name, run as an animal hospital by vet W.T.G.Hodgin.  By the 1950s this had been supplemented with a piggery. Brumwill Road This now appears to be Quill Street Brunswick Road Junction box - green electricity cabinets.  This is near the junction with Brunswick Gardens. It is in cast iron and installed in the 1930s. Still in use Chatsworth Road, Also Ashbourne Road, The Ridings, Heathcroft and Connell Crescent Haymills Estate . Estate built in 1928 with buildings in concentric crescents.  - One side semi circular. Built by Haymills with Welch Cachemialle Day and Lander as architects. Definitive inter war superior suburbia, if boring, with no discernible community or service buildings. The undergroun

Hampstead

Posts to the east  South End     Belsize Park   South End and Gospel Oak Post to the south Swiss Cottage This area consists of many roads where most buildings are listed and many have been lived in by a succession of famous people.  This blog is supposed to be about workplaces and public buildings – so the amount of detail on architecture and celebrity has been drastically limited. Akenside Road Named for Mark Akenside poet and doctor lived at Golders Hill Arkwright Road Camden Arts Centre .  Camden Arts Centre was built as Hampstead Central Library and designed by the Arnold Taylor and extended in 1926.  It was opened in 1897 by its funder Henry Harben Deputy Chairman of the Prudential Assurance Company. The structure survived bombs and a V2 in the Second World War while used as an ARP post. In 1964 a new the Swiss Cottage library opened as part of a modern library service. Hampstead Arts Centre was opened here in 1965 with classes in painting, life drawing, pottery, printi