Sunday, 28 February 2010

Thames Tributary Ravensbourne - Ladywell

TQ 370 349
Thames Tributary Ravensbourne
The Ravensbourne continues to flow north

Post to the north Lewisham
Post to the east Hither Green
Post to the south Catford
Post to the west Crofton Park

Albacore Crescent
Bridge over the river built in the 1960s.

Bradgate Road
Source of spring which became a stream down to the High Street
Springfield – these roads built on the site of this villa

Dressington Avenue
Covers the area of what was the workhouse. Originally the area of Slagrave Farm.
Water tower. Built for the workhouse. Has a hefty base and chalet-like top with crested roof. Built 1900 to a design by Ernest Newman. It had a well 120 feet deep from which water was drawn to supply the laundry and local houses.
John Evelyn Education Centre. Abbey Manor Centre in the east part of the central admin block of Ladywell Lodge, largely the old dining hall.
Flats in the administration block and the superintendents house of Ladywell Lodge
Lewisham Lodge. Site of St.Olave's Union workhouse of 1898-1900 by Newman & Newman. The central administrative block remains. It was a workhouse for the aged and infirm poor by Bermondsey Union, covering a large site, now divided by a footpath. The entrance to the site was from the north at Malyons Terrace, now Dressington Avenue. There was a central administration block and dining hall with three double pavilion ward blocks at each side. Men were in the north and women in the south. In the First World War, it became Bermondsey Military Hospital
Old People's Home. Low brick 1960s by the G.L.C.
Housing by Lewisham Architect's Department, 1980, short terraces of pale brick.

Ewhurst Road.
1-12 bombed 23rd June 1944. Extensive damage in roads all around. V1.

Felday Road
Late Ruthin Road
Built on the site of the Priory, big house.

George Lane
2/6, c1815. Are a terrace of small cottages
8/10, c1815. Are a terrace of small cottages though modern shop front on 8

Gillian Street
Site of an old village which lay between this and Ladywell Road.
Shops built about 1810.
Houses with tiling inside the porches.
Collins Contractors
Alleyway alongside no.1. the end of which is a fence; beyond this is a curious stretch of wall with a red brick pillar containing a white stone property mark bearing the legend 'This wall is the property of W. Jerrard 1901'.

Gordonbrock Road
Gordonbrock Primary School. Gordonbrock Road School was. Used in the Second World War as an ARP Warden’s Post which Plus the Auxiliary Fire Service took up 12 classrooms? Garages there were used for storing furniture from bombed houses.

Hawstead Road
Sewer vent. Ham Baker makers.

Ladywell. Marked as “Well” on the Ordnance Survey map of 1816, but was known as “Ladywell” in the late 18th. It is said to refer to a holy spring dedicated to the Blessed Virgin, first noted in 1592.

Ladywell Fields and Recreation Ground.
The Ravensbourne was the boundary of the first Metropolitan Commission of Sewers in 1849. Ladywell Fields were bought by the London County Council from the manor in 1889, following a popular movement and Parliamentary powers. Lewisham bought half. 2 years later and because of flooding it was not good for building. Part was swapped with the Shortlands & Nunhead Railway Co. There are three fields lying between the two Catford stations and Ladywell. A footpath follows the course of the Ravensbourne, which keeps a natural appearance, but it was cleared and straightened in 1892 with Flood prevention work in the 1960s. There are Weirs & six wooden bridges. This is all that remains of 30 acres of meadowland at Domesday.
The first, southernmost, field is accessed at the end of Adenmore Road - This is the largest field and contains The Lewisham Dutch Elm Ulmus hollandica "Klemmer.” A large mature tree said to be the only known British specimen of this cultivar.
Second field
Third field which reaches the Southern end of the churchyard of St Mary's
Toilets at the north end. 1892 provided by LCC whose monogram was on the front. Turret and chimneys,
Boundary marker for London County Council - a cast iron pillar. A series of these pillars follows the railway line through the fields and on the railway bridge
Bridge across the river on a path from the hospital 1998,
The Water main running between Oxleas Wood and Nunhead goes under the river at the Catford Loop railway bridge in the Fields.
Catford Greyhound Stadium opened 1932. In 2003 it was closed by its operator Wembley. Demolished along with the scoreboard. In the 1960s, there were large crowds, and celebrities in 1934 speedway was held there

Ladywell Road
It was once called “Brockley Lane.” From Chudleigh Road the area was owned by Bridge House Estates since 1280 and was the land of Bridge House Farm. Some Houses built by Harvey 1857. The streets nearer the cemetery were laid out in the early 20th on this land with streets named for members of the builder’s family.
The Holy Well, or “Well of Our Lady”, was near where Ladywell Bridge crosses the railway. It was there in 1472, but may have been much earlier. The well failed after a sewer was built in 1855.
Ladywell Bridge. There was a foot bridge over the Ravensbourne with a ford. The first road bridge was built in 1830; and extended to cover the railway in 1857. The present bridge was built in 1930. A well is believed to lie under the last support of the bridge.
135 House 1880s, Bridge House Estate property mark.
148 house c 1900 has a Lewisham Council plaque: 'Site of the Ladywell Mineral Spring used, for medicinal purposes until the mid 19th century'. Spring recorded in 1472. Visited by pilgrims going to Canterbury. Ladywell Spa was there by 1790, but ran dry after the construction of a sewer in 1855.
Ladyewell mill or Shemannesmill or Brigesmill belonged to Bridge House
38 Masons Bar, previously the Freemasons Arms. Railway Hotel a pub of c1866. It forms part of a group built in the mid 1860s. The Lady Well may have been in this area.
38-52 group of from mid 1860s
48 J. Stone inspection cover in the pavement.
74/76 the oldest cottages in the aera. There is an Ancient Lights sign.
78, 1830s.
80 Ladywell Tavern basically a building c 1846, but altered c1895.
Coroners Court. A red brick building of 1894 with a grand entrance in Tudor style by J. Carline, Surveyor. It was built on part of the grounds of Lewisham House.
Ladywell baths. 1884 by Wieson, Son & Aldwinkle, in deep red brick, notable for its Gothic arches and the circular tower, which has lost its cap. It was built on the Glebe. Grooves in the doorway were formed from Children’s three pennies. The foundation stone was laid by Lewisham's first mayor. It was bombed 1940, and there was a George Medal for the rescuer. High on the wall is a Metropolitan Police property mark.
Gardens. Set in a circle as a feature, are some curved white stones which were discovered and removed when the road over the railway was built, and are thought to have been the coping stones of 'Lady Well'.
Ladywell House was St.Mary's Vicarage, built 1692. Since 1981 it is has been used as offices. It was built 1693 for Dean George Stanhope, and with two storeys it is a rural, rather than an urban building. In the Garden is a masonry arch take from the old church tower in 1907. Inside is an original staircase. It was extended Edwin Nash in 1881, and 1895 using old bricks from demolished Lewisham House.
Ladywell Nature Reserve. On the south of the station building on the down side
Lewisham Fire station. Built by the London County Council but since used by London Borough of Lewisham. Built in 1899 on the site of Lewisham House in light red brick. The practice tower, tall and circular with a cone on top, is a local landmark, converted to housing purposes in 1968.
Lewisham House. This stood on the corner of Ladywell Road and Lewisham High Street opposite the Vicarage. It was built in 1680 by Sir John Lethuillier. It was the home of the Parker family from t the early 19th. It was demolished in 1894, and the fire station, police station and Coroner's Court were built on the site. The base of the 19th boundary wall was exposed in 1980, during pipe-laying operations.
Tikitape House. Built as Neuk Laundry then Adhesive Specialities... Art deco building
Police station. Built on the site of Lewisham House in 1899 and Refurbished in 1984. There are property marks high on the wall and by the door is a stone for 1899. It is Queen Anne style in red brick with a bowed section, and a battlemented entrance porch. On the roof are a siren and a blue lamp still in place. Now offices.
Stone doorway. At the end of Ladywell Road, side is an old stone doorway. Is this a remnant of Lewisham House?
Terraces of 1857
The Organ Centre, Drapers advert and 'Bolton's Corner'
Wall letterbox. By the entrance to the station. Victorian
World War II sign 'Shelter for 700'

Lewisham High Street
The old centre was at the south end at the junction with Ladywell Road near the church and with the open space by the river. From the Hospital southwards there are grass strips between the buildings and the main road marking the course of a stream which until 1855 ran the length of the High Street to join the Ravensbourne near Lewisham Bridge. Trees were planted along it in 1855.
323 Coach and Horses. Old coaching inn with stained glass and wood.
347 Colfe and Hatcliffe Glebe, red brick building of 1952, opposite the site of the original Colfe’s Almshouses. It is the successor to both Colfe’s and Hatcliffe's Almshouses. Colfe was Vicar of Lewisham 1610 -1657 and left a number of charitable institutions. The Leathersellers Company built Colfe’s Almshouses with a bequest from Colfe; but they were bombed in1944 and demolished the 1950s. . The Registrar's Office is now on the site. William Hatcliffe 1620; left land for Almshouses which were built in Catford Road 1857, moved to Bromley Road in 1925 and amalgamated with Colfe’s c1952.
354 Hogshead Ale House was Jolly Farmers.
359-361 houses built c1835, but altered, site of Mount Pleasant House, demolished. It was the Southwark St.George's Parish boys' home
380-386 1871, medical business had been called Jasmine's. Site of the Carriage entrance to the hospital and Old reading school. It is Also the site of old row of houses called Exchequer Place on the site of the office of the Relieving Officer in 1910. Transferred to London County Council from Board of Guardians
418 entrance hall to old Gothic House
426 f. 1859 S.Carney
Car Park on the site of Sion House, demolished in 1972. It was next but one to the pub and was weather boarded early 18th building.
Church House once a quaint old wooden structure. It was next to the church and used as a meeting place
Churchyard. Split into two sections by a footpath and surrounded by a mainly 18th wall. The churchyard passage was railed at the end of the 19 following building on the glebe. Tomb of Ephraim How, cutler from Southend Mill. Tomb of Thomas Dermody, died in poverty at Perry Vale in 1802 aged 28
Doctors Quarters 1895 used as a paediatric unit and offices; red brick with a cupola.
E Block of the Hospital from the original Infirmary of 1894. Stock brick with red brick dressings, and water tower. The stores building which incorporated a chapel behind the old entrance is 1885.
Fire hydrant octagonal pillar by Lewisham Park junction,
Fire hydrant octagonal pillar south of the Hogshead pub
Flats - three 18 -storey tower blocks early 1960s by Lewisham Architect's Department.
Lewisham Hospital. Renamed University Hospital Lewisham. It began as the Lewisham Workhouse, in 1817 in there Waterloo Block. The original 1817 keystone is on the back of an archway in a corridor marked ‘Central Entrance'. The entrance porch had a pediment inscribed 'Lewisham Union', 1887.
Lewisham Library built 1901 and closed 1994 and had since becae the Hospital Education Centre. Red brick building, with a big entrance archway, above, and lots of terracotta decoration. On the site of Cliffe Villa another 18th building.
Lewisham workhouse dated from 1745. It was transferred to this site in 1817, and taken over by Lewisham Union in 1836. In the 1880s the workhouse was extended and Lewisham Infirmary was built in 1894. A high wall separated the workhouse and the infirmary. In 1915 it became Lewisham Military Hospital and in 1918 the wall was demolished, and the whole complex became Lewisham Hospital, though workhouse use continued until 1929. Numerous additions and there was a large-scale development programme. Amongst later buildings are the mental health unit, previously the nurses’ home 1927; the women’s & children’s wing 1996; the boiler house 1986; and the mortuary 1993. In Accident & Emergency, 1958, is a stained glass window by Faye Carey 1990 and a wooden sculpture Serendipity by Brian Willsher 1992.
Medical Centre Clubroom, opposite the ambulance entrance to Accident & Emergency, built for mentally ill patients in 1896.
Registrar's Office, on the site of Colfe’s Almshouses, which were demolished in 1958
The Ladywell unit, providing mental health at the hospital site, is officially opened by Frank Dobson 2001.
Riverside wing opened by Archbishop Desmond Tutu. The new building has photovoltaic panels on the roof to contribute towards the energy needed to run it. 2002
Schools, 1966, Stanhope endowment
St Mary the Virgin Parish Church. A Georgian ragstone church of 1777 by George Gibson, with the late 15th tower of the previous church. Victorian chancel by Sir Arthur Blomfield 1881. On this site was the original parish church of Lewisham, Probably Saxon, but here since at least 1100. The previous church was 15th; its floor on the level of the present crypt, and this lower part is the oldest structure in Lewisham. In 1777 Gibson rebuilt the church, and added an upper stage to then tower. Above a window, is a tablet to Abraham Colfe 1657? Stonework around the west tower was replaced in 1907, and the doorway re-erected in the garden of Ladywell House font 1881. Stained glass early 1950s, by A. L. Wilkinson. The galleries are accessed via the original Georgian staircase. Monuments: tablet to Margaret Colfe 1643;Mary Lushington 1797 by Flaxman; Dean George Stanhope 1728; George Hatcliffe brass 1514; Thomas Wilkinson 1786; , Anne Petrie 1787 by Van Pook of Brussels; Margaret Petrie 1791, by Thomas Banks; monument to John Thackeray 1851 by E. H. Baily. 1498 and 1512, 1774.
St.Mary's Centre, 1891. Modern extension to the right, of 1988. Built on that part of the glebe known as Churchfield. Foundation stone

Manwood Road
Crofton Leisure Centre. Health Club
Prendergast Ladywell Fields School. Leathersellers. This was Crofton School 1971 an ILEA Comprehensive. It had a MACE classroom block with overhanging upper floors. The main Crofton School, a large modernist building of 1964

Mount Pleasant Road
Laid out in the early 1870s.
1-3 Italianate.

Railway Terrace
Ladywell Station, 1857. Between Catford Bridge and Lewisham on South East Trains. Built in 1866 in yellow brick with side platforms. The original entrance is, preserved the rest is 1890s. The South Eastern Railway opened it in 1857, when the Mid Kent Line went from Lewisham to Beckenham. The iron bridge linking the platforms was added later in the 19th.
5 site of surgical dressing factory run by John Milne. It may have been Eagle House, where he worked with Sir Joseph Lister who discovered antiseptic methods in surgical operations. Who in the 1870's is supposed to have been in Lewisham
Bombed 23.12.40 bombed, fire, 15 people killed.

Rushey Green
1 The George. At the front the L-shaped building, although completely rebuilt after the Second World War, preserves the appearance of the pub as it was c1800. The porch and the rear extension are post-war additions. Derelict and closed.
Horse trough outside the George on the forecourt which had a flat top. Removed 1983
Grammar School for Girls once stood on the Hawstead road corner 1910 in the grounds of what had been Springfield. Colfe Estates money built it and now owned by London County Council 1907.
20 a mid 19th extension of 22
22 Springfield basically a late 18th house
19 Job Centre on the site of the Methodist church
17 Wesleyan Church, the frontage of ‘Rosenthal," home of Alexander Rowland, of Macassar Oil fame. Closed 1967
68 The Plough & Harrow, originally an old cottage, which became a pub in the 1850s. The original upper floor of the cottage survives, the ground floor was rebuilt later.
Thackeray's Almshouses. A with gabled ends and a central Romanesque archway. The inscription reads: 'Built and endowed 1840 for 6 aged females by John Thackeray of The Priory Lewisham who died 1851'. His monument is in St Mary's Church
The Priory was a large house just north of the almshouses, finally demolished in 1932.
47 Capital House

Slagrove Place
This is an ancient name: ‘Slagrove's Mill’ is found in the manor rolls of the early 14th and ‘Slagrove Wood’ is mentioned in 1530. ‘Slagrove Farm’ was sold in 1897 to the Guardians of the Poor of the Parish of Bermondsey to build a workhouse for their poor – and became Ladywell Lodge
Gateway to Ladywell Lodge original with four red brick pillars
Porter’s lodge, to Ladywell Lodge 1900
Stream from Brockley Green flowed under the road to meet the Ravensbourne. There was at one time a footbridge and a ford here.
Drainage ditch, said once to have carried waste from mills at Catford
Slagrove Place Estate. 1995, facing a large green, and on the site of the old nursery block of Ladywell Lodge.

St Mary’s Path
Bridge over the Ravensbourne 1960s.

Thames Tributary Ravensbourne - Catford

Thames Tributary Ravensbourne
The Ravensbourne and Pool meet here and then flow northwards towards the Thames

 TQ 37755 73712

Busy area of central Catford, with the Lewisham Civic Centre and a street market.  Surrounded by suburban housing, playing fields and pleasant parkland

Post to the north Ladywell
Post to the south Bellingham

Adenmore Road
Brick bridge over the Ravensbourne – this may be the original on the old line of Catford Road.
Catford Bridge station. 1857. Between Lower Sydenham and Ladywell on South East Trains. Opened on the Mid Kent Line and retains its original Italianate entrance building on the 'down' side. It is yellow brick and two storey Italianate. The building on the ‘up’ side, with the covered steps up to Catford Road, was added c 1870. In 1968 there were floods, water all over the platforms. Burnt down in 1993 and rebuilding and renovation moved the ticket office.
Goods yard. Houses built there. Closed March 1968.
Features in films 'Mrs. Brown, You’ve Got a Lovely Daughter’.

Bromley Road
61 Priory Court. New housing on the site of Priory House School, this was Sangley Farm, 19th villa
Corner houses on Forster Estate roads have prominent features, to proclaim the entrance to the estate.
Fire hydrant iron pavement cover. Made by Ham Baker Co.
St.Laurence. a replacement church for one built in 1886. It is an octagonal church by Ralph Lovell, of 1968. It is built of red brick, with a clerestory of stained glass, and a concrete roof and tower. The Lady Chapel has an open steeple with a concrete base and a bell from the old church of 1897. There is stained glass by Beton of Belgium to designs by Carter Shapland. The Stations of the Cross are paintings by John Collins 1982. In the Lady Chapel is a wood carving of Martyrdom of St Laurence by Samuel of Kenya 1975.
Laurence House. Car park was the site of the older St. Laurence church built 1887 and demolished in 1968. The church developed from a mission hall in
Holbeach Road.
107 South Metropolitan Gas Company demonstration house
1 ABC cinema, opened in 1913 as Central Hall Picture House, and outlasted other cinemas in Lewisham. Closed 2005.

Brownhill Road,
The area was part of the 1261 Genes estate and belonged to the College of St.Laurence Poultney in London. The road was not created until the late 1870s, with the demolition of Priory Farm.
Eros House. Designed by Owen Luder, 1962 and it is one of the brutalist towers built around the fringes of London in the 1960s. Called Eros after the cinema once on the site – it replaced the Hippodrome Theatre and the Gaumont Cinema. The Hippodrome was where Adelaide Hall sang all night during the bombing,
Sculpture outside Eros House. The Water Line by Oliver Barratt. It is inspired by a time when a river ran through Rushey Green, and was jointly commissioned by Desiman Ltd, who own Eros House, and the Creative Lewisham Agency.
4 Holy Cross Catholic Bookshop
23 Salvation Army. In their usual style
16/18 corner building with a turret, of 1912. Above an upper floor window is an inscription 'Nothing without industry'. It was built as a branch of the Bromley & Crays Co-operative Society. It is in part used as we Kingdom Hall of Jehovah’s Witnesses

Canadian Avenue
Was Berlin Avenue
Power league Sports field for Banks Athletic club. War memorial in the clubhouse

Probably does really mean ‘the ford where the cats are'. The name is first noted in 1254 when the area was owned by the Abbey of Ghent. The ford was across the River Ravensbourne through what was once woodland. Catford was a small rural hamlet before the coming of the railway in 1857. Catford Bridge, now also the name of the station, is on the site of the original ford and the bridge is on maps from the early 19th.

Catford Broadway
Catford Broadway begins with two curved terraces built in the 1880s. There is a street market on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturday. There were Catford Floods so the road is a causeway.
Spring at the junction of Catford and Rushey Green Roads., It flowed north to the Ravensbourne but was probably diverted for various ornamental gardens. It flowed to join the stream in the High Street. The stream vanished when the bed was pierced.
Lewisham Town Hall. This complex is the result of piecemeal replacement of a Victorian vestry hall. In 1931-2 an extension was added as a theatre offices and shops. In the late 1950s a curved block of offices was added and in 1969-71 the Civic Suite
Town Hall. Had been built in 1875 and was demolished in 1968. It had been designed and built by George Elkinton, Surveyor to Bermondsey for the Lewisham District Board of Works. It was enlarged in 1899 and was demolished in 1968.
Civic Suite 1968. The entrance hall is dominated by a mural in Italian marble tesserae by Hans Ungeri Eberhard Schuize. Council Chamber.
Lewisham Theatre, called Lewisham Concert Hall until 1984 was built in 1932 by Bradshaw Gass & Hope. It is a curved stone building and an art deco interior.
Green in front with Pensive Girl, a sculpture by Gerda Rubinstein 1994.
Milford Towers. Council flats, of yellow brick. Now included as part of the shopping centre
Shopping Centre a mix of open and covered spaces by the Owen Luder Partnership, 1969-74.

Catford Hill Riverside walk
The Ravensbourne is joined here by a stream from Forest Hill which is now in a pond.Old bridge over the old channel.

Catford Road
Laurence House with a narrow glass canopy all round. It is on the site of the old St Laurence Church.
Terrace of 1927
Drinking fountain in memory of Michael Whitehill. Gone and also previously moved in the 1950s.
Copperfield. Large Tudor-style pub once called the Railway Tavern.

Doggett Road
Holbeach School. Red brick London School Board building of 1901, towering over the surrounding streets; the upper part is a mix of gables and turrets.
Penfolds Manor was Lodge to the school with a projecting tower
Features in films 'Small time Obsession’.

Engelhart Road
138/148 five died bomb 6.September 1940. The rescuer got the George medal.

Farley Road
Site of Down Fields, a path crossed it

Forster Estate
Extending from Culverley Road to Newquay Road this was built from 1903 long sequences, of gabled Edwardian houses.

Holbeach Road
The section of the road immediately entering Rushey Green was called the Retreat. It was once called Elizabeth Place then was "Retreat House" standing back in a small garden
Holbeach Baptist Church. A simple Gothic church, built 1883 as a Mission Hall, which then developed into St Laurence Church after 1887, and became a Baptist Church in 1954.

Honley Street
South Metropolitan Gas Company lamppost.
Sewer vent pipe. Ornamental and made by Stones

Divides manors
Catford Mill was demolished when the railway was built. There is some railway brickwork in the Wickes site. The westward diversion may have been to provide a head of water for the mill.
A footpath from Catford Hill crosses a green to the Ravensbourne and then through a wood to the confluence with the Pool. The Ravensbourne, is the narrower of the two.

The Mid Kent Railway Line runs to the River Pool; but just to the north of the confluence it is crossed on a skewed bridge by the Catford Loop Line.

Ravensbourne Park Estate
Laid out to the north of Catford Bridge from 1825, but very slow to develop. There are some early survivals.

Ravensbourne Park
The area was laid out as a high-class estate from 1825, spaciously planned but little remains of this
3-7 & 11-15 built by 1835
7 now part of a terrace with a modern block. c1830,
11 has a door case with Doric columns; c1830
15 have a porch c1830 and is linked to The Cottage, which is late 19th.
25/27 early 1870s,
60-62 stucco Built 1825-30,

Ravensbourne Park Gardens,
A private green for the estate.

Riverview Park Road
20-40 31-45 bombed 25.June 1944.

Rushey Green,
Probably named from Richard’s Green, mentioned in a will from 1544. It is also ‘Rushet Green’ in 1544 and ‘Rushy Green’ by the 17th. This comes from Old English ‘ryscett '- ‘a rush bed, a place growing with rushes'. This area near the Ravensbourne would have been marshy in early times. There was a mansion here called Rushy Green Place in the early 16th and it was a hamlet in the 16th
120/124 The upper floors were built 1830, but they need to be seen from the opposite side of the road.
88 The Rising Sun, a mock-Tudor pub of 1937, with Tudor chimneypots and twisted brick door pillars. Closed.
Horse trough by the pub 1830 with pump
Priory Farm, formerly Rushey Green Place. Roughly on the site of Ringstead Road. Water feature or pond here.
109 London For Rye. A second generation Wetherspoon’s - completely open plan with no - partitions or alcoves. In a parade of shops
141-145 Queens Hall Cinema. Adacent to the Hippodrome. 1913, still going strong in the 1930s.
Rushey Green Place.
Entrance to The Catford Centre, by Owen Luder 1969-73. A large black and white cat draped over the entrance sign
Hand pump. On the green by the road junction. 1850s.
167 Black Horse and Harrow. There has been a pub on this site since 1543 and the present building dates from 1897. It has recently been called ‘The Black Horse’ and “The Goose on the Green” but its original name is shown in the facade. There are granite columns along the ground floor, grotesque carved stonework and a corner turret. The stables are now used as a garage and car park
Horse trough by the pub 1863.
Original entrance to Black Horse pub, 1923. Used by Timpson’s' silver buses – they were horse & travel agents with 18 double deckers on 47, 53 & 75, and other routes. They also covered Westerham & Bromley, with premises in a 19th century horse tram depot. This became London County Council in 1902. The South Eastern Metropolitan Tramways building from the 1890s, with living accommodation for the manager over the arch has been demolished.
Catford Island. Behind the pub created by the South Circular Road one way system
Toilets gents and ladies with a vent with three gas lamps.
The Pound was in the area of Farley Road.

Sangley Road
Old homestead of Sanguil Manor House whose old kitchens were still there in 1910. Sangley Road was Cokeshead Lane. The Farm called that and also White House Farm. It was called Sandhurst Road then
127 Common house for many years, in 1910 weather boarded house,

Stanstead Road
St.Dunstan's College. Founded by Henry VI in 1446. Built on land owned by the church – the Parish Field in 1632. The site of the pond was a common field called Clangours. It was part of the grammar school part of St.Dunstan in the East, 1883. This building is 1888 E. N. Clifton, a large, serious terracotta-trimmed Gothic front in the style of Waterhouse. Dining-hall of 1961, with a dramatic roof , 1961 by Vemer Rees, Laurence & Mitchell,, Central gable flanked by turrets, prominent chimneys. The top floor was originally designed for boarders. Large hall behind. Window by Lavers, Westlake & Co. with St Dunstan and craftsmen. Swimming bath 1955 by W. Fraser Granger, library and science laboratories 1957, pavilion 1959 by Verner Rees, Laurence & Mitchell, music block and science laboratories 1972 by Austin Vernon & Partners.
Catford Station. 1st July 1892. Between Bellingham and Crofton Park on South Eastern Trains. Gives its name to the Catford Loop Line, which was opened in 1892 as a diversionary route between Nunhead and Shortlands on the main line from Victoria to Orpington. The present station building is modern, of 1971, and leads up to modern platforms on an embankment

Thomas Lane
Elmwood. A house of 1736, but hidden by a mid 19th extension with ironwork. The core of the old building can be seen, but partly hidden by 20th extensions. Built by Nelgarde Dogget. It was adjacent to Catford Manor with a large pond which in 1844 was connected to a flow from Springfield.

Vineyard Close.
Staggered terraces built 1972, LB Lewisham

Westdown Road
Road bridge over the Ravensbourne which is in a deep concrete channel.

Winslade Way
9 Catford Ram. Pleasant split-level pub within Catford Shopping Precinct. Popular with market folk and town hall staff at lunchtimes. Local history prints on the wall.
23 W.H.Smith

Barton. Lost Rivers of London
Black Horse. Web site
Bygone Kent

Catford Ram. Web site
Cinema Theatre Association. Newsletter
Clunn. The Face of London
Field. London Place Names,
Lewisham History Society. Journal

London Borough of Lewisham. Web site
London Encyclopedia
Nairn. London's Modern Buildings
Pevsner and Cherry. South London

St. Dunstan's College. Web site  
St. Laurence. Web site

Thames Tributary Ravensbourne - Pool River - Perry Hill

Thames Tributary Ravensbourne
The Pool River continues flowing northwards to the Ravensbourne

Post to the east Bellingham
Post to the south Bell Green

Castlands Road
Leathersellers Co. Owned land to the south and to the top of the hill. This land was bought in the 17th at a time when Abraham Colfe was acquiring land here to endow his charities. He appointed the Leathersellers as trustees – so thus the controlled most of the area.
Brongers – between here and Dachet Road and bought by the Leathersellers in the 17th. Also called White Cottage...
Terrace with date plaque ‘1910’ is the site of Orchard House. Was on the south corner. Left to the parish in 17th. Demolished in the early 20th.
Laurel Brook. East of Orchard House.
Orchard Cottages. Terrace at the river end.

Clowders Road
Clowders Farm was there in 1723.Purchased by the Leathersellers in the 17th.
The Manor House built in 1728 demolished 1934. One of a number of houses built by wealthy men with jobs in the City, or in Greenwich and Deptford.
Perry Hill House. Built 1766. In the 19th it was a private school
Fields down the hill were called Tanners, Nanals and Rowlands

Elm Lane
At one time was an important road because it led to a bridge over the river going to the Bromley Road.
The Elms. 18th farmhouse. Built in the 1790s, with Victorian bays and a porch - a modern replica of the original which was stolen. It was converted into two maisonettes in the 1970s. John Walker, the owner, used an adjacent building as a workshop
Well on site of the Elms
Site of The Place Tudor mansion. Nearby to the Lewes/London Roman road. From the 14th Place House was the manor house for Sydenham. Its history and ownership can be traced from then. By the 16th Richard Howlett, Clerk to the Navy, lived there and probably rebuilt it. Subsequently it was tenanted by people who wanted to be near Greenwich or Deptford – its owners, the Edmonds family, lived elsewhere and farmed some of the land, and disposed of the rest. Eventually the house was let in sections. It became the subject of a Chancery dispute and was demolished in the late 18th although some bits might have remained, in a ruinous condition, used by the farm.
Elms Youth Club

Kilmorie Road
Kilmorie Road Primary School built on the site of previous schools and opened in 1990.
Roger Manwood School. This was Kilmore Road School. In the Second World War the RAF were in the Infants Department. There was a Warden’s Post in the Playground and there was also a Ministry of Works vehicle depot. Badly damaged by bombing and not used as a school.

Pearfield Road
In this area were a number or orchards providing cider apples and pears for the making of perry, hence Pearfield Road.

Perry Hill
An ancient right of way across the river to Castlelands and Broadmead Fields. Perry Slough was a forest up to 1800. In this area were a number or orchards providing cider apples and pears for the making of perry, hence Perry Hill – although it was originally ‘Perry Street’. The settlement in this area was helped by a nearby source of fresh water from the Pool River.
Perry Hill House demolished 1900 - villas built on the site.
93 Salims Cottage at the bottom of the hill. This was built on field Herberts Croft
Library55 Rutland Arms a harmonious pub c1866. Closed
Fire hydrant at the corner of Rutland Walk. Iron base with a slight taper and an Octagonal top. Made by Stones of Deptford. Now gone, removed when the road became one way
80 Two Brewers this had been some 18th cottages called Beechfields but it became a pub in 1746 and this wooden building lasted until 1926. The current pub has a collection of jugs hanging from ceiling in Saloon Bar. Spacious old pub with family atmosphere. Pleasant wood panelled interior. Sign on the other side of the road.
Horse trough outside the pub
145 Swanley a late 19th house, with a rustic porch and projecting bay. It was the home of Thomas Tilling who used local fields for sick horses. This is the only remaining house of a series built in the area for rich business men.
143 a surviving outbuilding of Perry Hill Farm, probably early 19th century,
Church of God of Prophecy, a classical building of 1883, was originally Perry Hill Baptist Mission Hall; it became a Salvation Army hall in 1931.
Sewer vent corner of Winsford Road. Ham Baker makers, and a little door in the base.
Radcliffe. House demolished 1911 was opposite Datchet Road. It had replaced a pub called the White Hart which had closed in 1728.
Perry Green – open space which was where the road bends east. It was absorbed into cottage gardens.
Claremont – two houses now on the site of a house built here in 1804 on the site of Perry Green which was demolished in 1929.
Milverton House – on the site of a big house called Meadowcroft, speculatively built and let out to wealthy lawyers.,

Perry Rise
This lower area was called Perry Slough. Much of it was Lammas Land. Was called Glovers Lane. East of the Road was Perry Vale Farm. In this area were a number or orchards providing cider apples and pears for the making of perry, hence Perry Rise
Canal - Four roads met at a swing bridge on the canal: - Stanstead Road; Part of Perry Vale from north east and south east; London Road and Dartmouth Road
Railway. This was at the same place as the canal crossing. Subway under the railway – this is a successor to a level crossing lost when the new road was built to the north. Sydenham Common with Perry Stow to the south east was the nearest village when it was built.
52 Prince of Wales. The sign depicts his coat of arms.
67. Shaftsbury House. This was Shaftesbury Boys Home. This was in a large detached house
Houses built for employees of the Sydenham Gas Works.
Horse trough
11 Shaw’s Cottages Ecological Self-Build House. Designed and built by Jon Broome of Architype 1994-96 as an energy-saving developing self-build system pioneered by Walter Segal trunks supports a turf and wild flower roof over a lofty open-plan family house. Walls are of Douglas fir clad with larch. The site was previously a disused garden. Only the top of the house is clearly visible from Shaw’s Cottages, which is a public footpath.

Pool River Walk.
Parkland riverside walkway, 700 metres long, from Bell Green to Bellingham, was designed by Symonds Travers Morgan 1996.
This section of the River bisected the gasworks site in an underground culvert and was relocated here on a meandering route between Savacentre and the Mid Kent Line embankment.
Bridge blue tied-arch, marks the central point of the walk and gives access to the Savacentre.

Priestfield Road
Its name is derived from a field which formerly existed on the western side of
Perry Hill.

Queenswood Road
Perry Vale farmhouse was situated at about the middle of the road and the fields were at the northern end of the Estate. One of the farms belonging to the Mayow Adams family

Rutland Park
2/8 terraced groups, 1860s. Projecting battlemented bay windows,
4/6 shaped gable.
10/16 end houses with short square towers.

Rutland Walk
1/25 terrace, of the 1860s.

Selworthy Road
The Pool River comes out of the gas works site in a concrete channel alongside the last house.
Bridge over to the rough area between the river and the railway. Now gone.

Vancouver Road
St.George. Paid for by the owner of Lewisham House, George Parker but since demolished because of subsidence. It was the parish church of Perry Hill. A large Gothic ragstone church of 1880 by William Coppard Banks.
1 Vicarage to the west, a substantial and handsome purple brick mansion of 1885 with a good Gothic window Good plain

Winsford Road
Pond and marshy area on the Riverview Walk
Clare Lodge. Built in this area in the 1750s. Demolished 1927. Residents included Letts of the diaries, and Holland of the Deptford distillery.

Woolstone Road
Was the field and Upper and Lower Hawkes.
37 plaque which is a copy of a G.L.C. blue plaque in North End Road, Hampstead, as follows: 'John Linnell 1792-1882 painter lived M William Blake 1757-1827 poet and artist stayed here as his guest'. Neither Linnell nor Blake lived in or had any known connection with Perry Hill, and this house was built after their deaths, probably in the late 1880s.
18 1891, pargetting on the upper floor and in a gable

The Pool River continues to flow northwards

Thames Tributary Ravensbourne - Pool River -Bellingham

Thames Tributary Ravensbourne
The Pool River flows north to join the Ravensbourne
TQ 37769 71568

Busy Southend Lane divides the London County Council built Bellingham Estate from private housing, sports grounds and parks.  The most notable thing about the area is ex-pupils of Sedgehill School, Status Quo.

Post to the west Bell Green
Post to the north Bellingham
Post to the east South End

Beckenham Hill
Was called Stumps Hill before John Cator turned up.
The Annunciation and St.Agnes. Built of red brick, circular, and centrally planned with gabled clerestory windows, lantern with copper fins, and an entrance like a barbican, with curved walls. .

Elfrida Crescent
Elfrida Primary School

Randlesdown Road
Shops destroyed in 1941 bombs
Fellowship Inn. Built by the LCC for the estate.

Sedgehill Road
Sedgehill School. The site was originally to be a TB hospital but the school was built by the LCC and then opened in 1957.
Recreation Ground

Southend Lane
Southend Park. Small local park

Worsley Bridge Road
Lloyds Bank cricket field – became HSBC and also the Kent County Cricket Club.
Sydenham High School Sports Ground
Sports Ground

Annunciation and St. Agnes. Web site
Field. London Place Names,
Pevsner and Cherry. South London 
Sedgehill School . Web site

Thames Tributary Ravensbourne - Pool River - Bell Green

Thames Tributary Ravensbourne
The Pool River flows northwards towards the Ravensbourne
TQ 36486 71942

Busy area around the old green in front of the pub. This had become a network of fast roads accessing the supermarket which has replaced Bell Green Gas Works with its rail access from the line to Beckenham Junction adjacent.  Several gas holders remain, but for how long. The workers institute with its fine tiled front remains with a relocated war memorial. To the south Kangley and Worsley Bridge Roads retain a number of art deco factories - most now in other use by small industrial units and as offices. To the west Sydenham Road climbs to the shopping centre beyond past pubs, churches, the library and parks. The Pool River flows through the area and to the south it is now a pleasant walk through parks, and a pleasant walk has been designed along it, through parks, allotments, and byways.

Post to the north Perry Hill
Post to the east Bellingham
Post to the south New Beckenham

Adamsrill Road
Adamsrill Primary School

Bell Green
In 1745 this area is shown as Sydenham Green. It is set in a hollow among the hills of Sydenham. It was common land divided into plots.The old green covered much of the area of the gasworks and extended down Southend Lane.
Sainsbury’s supermarket and other big shops on the Bell Green gas site.
Sydenham Green Health Centre. In re-development the old name has been revived
Livesey Memorial Hall. Social club built 1911, for employees of South Suburban Gas Company as a memorial for Sir George Livesey. In front is a faience panel with art nouveau lettering and floral stems on a green background.
Livesey Hall War Memorial, designed by Sydney March 1920, with plaques commemorating employees of the company who died in both world wars. The memorial has a life-size angel in bronze, standing on a ball entwined with serpents, with extraordinary detailing. Also a Rupert Brooke quote.
Gas Works. There was a race to provide gas to the area of Crystal Palace once it was known it was to come to Sydenham, Three Companies were established and eventually amalgamated as the Crystal Palace District Gas Company in 1854.concentrating work on this site. Bell Green Gas Works initially as the The Surrey Consumers Gas Company. It changed its name againto South Suburban Gas Company in 1904, In 1912 they amalgamated with the Bromley and West Kent Co. etc. And in 1927 The reached an agreement with the South Metropolitan. At its peak 2,000 people were employed on the site and it was one of the largest gasworks in Britain. Gas production stopped in 1969, but two gas holders remain out of four previously on the site.
59 The Bell. A classical pub c1845; an extension added later. The original 18th Bell pub was on a site which would have been inside the gas works.
65 The Old Bath House, opened as Lewisham Public Baths 1907, with a tiled ground floor and red brick upper floor, now an architectural salvage yard..
Horse trough outside the old baths. Moved 1950.
Pool River has a natural appearance at Bell Green.

Bell Green Lane.
Little CherubsAbbey Trading Estate. Art Deco Factory building.

Champion Crescent
Infant school 1896.
St Michael & All Angels, a long simple brick building of 1958 by David Nye. Edwin Nash's church of 1864 was demolished following war damage; the school hall is now on the site.

Champion Road
St Michael’s Church of England Primary School. A substantial complex of 1871 designed by Edwin Nash, in Gothic and arts & crafts styles, with steep gables and very tall chimneys.

Hastletine Road
Haseltine Primary School. A London School Board block of 1885, with gabled dormers.

Kangley Bridge Road
This was the name of an old bridge – in the area covered by the grounds of the gasworks.
Bridge Leisure Centre on the site of the Brittanic Sports Ground – run for British Petroleum and closed 1980s.

Kent House Lane
The Sydenham brewery run by Joseph Verey in the first half of the 19th
Gardner Industrial Estate; site of J Gardner & Co, Monument Works, Beckenham. They made air-conditioning equipment.

Kent House Road

Lower Sydenham
Much of the area owned by St.Olave’s Southwark.

Miall Walk
38 Childhood home of Bill Wyman
Horse trough from Bell Green moved here and used as a planter.

Southend Lane
Lower Sydenham Station 1857 1st January. Mid Kent Railway. Near Southend Lane. 1906 closed and resited. Decent yellow brick station
401 Railway Tavern. Pub c1867. Historic railway prints.

Sydenham Road
Home Park derives its name from the large house which was sited here, Home Park Lodge. The 7 acres of ground were purchased in 1901 by Lewisham Borough Council for £5,600
Toilets, modern
Sydenham Library. The entrance to the library was formerly on the main road, but was re-located in Home Park. It was funded by Andrew Carnegie for £4,500. Above the portico of the original entrance is the L.B.C. coat of arms. Built 1904, in red brick. Interior with arcades and three domes for top-lighting.
Byron Close flats. An old Lewisham Borough Council coat of arms on the front – different from the current one.
Our Lady and St.Philip Neri. Roman Catholic Church of 1958, designed by Walters & Kerr Bate. Square bell-tower, which was added in 1961. There is a window in the south transept with stained glass by Goddard & Gibbs showing the death of St Philip Neri.
208 Presbytery. A mock-Tudor building, half- timbered and vivid white built in 1929, for the earlier church which was further west. At the rear is a small extension which was a late 19th extension to an early 18th house used as the presbytery from 1919 to 1929, and demolished for the new building.
208 Grove House. The church was built on this site. It was the home of .Sir George Grove, the writer on music, 1860-1900, and there is a Lewisham Council plaque on the front wall. Grove, was the editor of 'Grove's Dictionary of Music and first Secretary of the Crystal Palace Company,
116 Golden Lion. An early 19th classical pub. There has been a pub on this site since 1740. It was one of the first pubs to get a variety licence – as the Golden Lion Public House and Palace of Varieties 1855-c1897. The wide forecourt was a pull-in for horse buses on their way to Penge.
Horse trough in memory of Mr. Caller 1920s
Fire hydrant iron pavement cover. Made by Ham Baker Co. Corner Larkbere Road
121 Dolphin Pub. Although it is a modern building this has been the site of a pub since at least 1733.
St.Philip's ex Catholic Primary School. A single-storey building with a slate roof which was the old Catholic Primary School. It was founded in 1874 with 56 pupils.
199-187 cottages Victorian
215 detached house c1870 with classical features.
Horse trough Kent House Road corner. Gone
Sydenham Childrens' hospital. Champion House built about 1860 faced Sydenham Road. It was used as the Children's Hospital from 1885. The large extension was added in 1924. Demolished 1991.

Watlington Grove
Cottages of the late 1860s facing each other.

Westerley Crescent
Lower Sydenham Station. Between Catford Bridge and New Beckenham on the line from Lewisham to Hayes on South East Trains. Originally built on the Mid Kent Railway nearer to Southend Lane -. The present building is the third station. It was moved because the Cator Estate wanted it moved nearer their new estates. In 1906 the second station was opened on this line, quarter of a mile south of the original station – and built in cheap clapboard. In 1973 it was demolished and new CLASP station built Which was burnt down in 1989 and rebuilt again ‘in vernacular style’ with shelters and offices.
Goods yard closed June 1966
Sidings: siding to the gas works quarter of a mike away. The works had its own locos and three miles of track inside the works. In 1958 they were still bringing in 217,000 tons of coal a year. Trains came from Erith North End Sidings with seabourne coal. Closed down in 1971.

Worsley Bridge Road.
Bridge built in 1900 by Local Authority.
Mid-Kent Brick Works - boiler explosion 5 men killed 1885.
Baird TV works factory was here. After 1940 the firm was called Cinema-Television Ltd. Then later made metal detection equipment.
Dylon Factory of the 1930s for manufacture of dyes. Locally listed
Maybrey. Maybrey began in 1929 at New Cross as H. J. Maybrey. They moved to Elmers End, and then to Lower Sydenham. They were leaders in heat treated aluminium sand and gravity die castings and in the Second World War supplying aircraft builders, admiralty and armament industries. The company is now a supplier of released cast product but has moved to Crayford.
Henderson Biomedical Ltd. Make centrifuges, heat sealersand other laboratory equipment since 1987
Bromcom. British technology company. It provides schools and colleges with a Management Information System and handheld data capture devices to record and track pupil performance.

Connor. Forgotten Stations
GLIAS Newsletter
Grace's Guide. Web site
Lewisham Byways
London Borough of Lewisham. Web site
Lost Hospitals of London. Web site
Maybrey. Web site.

Thames Tributary Ravensbourne - The Pool River - New Beckenham

Thames Tributary Ravensbourne
The streams making up the Pool/Beck stream, the Chaffinch Brook and the Beck River meet in Cator Park and continue to flow northwards as the Pool River.

Post to the north Bell Green
Post to the south Beckenham

Beckett Walk
Housing on the site of Kent House. Kent House was owned by a series of City merchants including John Styles who dealt in wool in London and Calais in the 15th. Anthony Rawlins who gave money for the Beckenham almshouses also lived there. It was bought by Russian Banker Angerstein in 1784 and was used as a farm after 1806 with grazing rights on Penge Common. In the late 19th is became a nursing home and then a hotel and was demolished in 1957.

Brackley Road
Name of a former field of Copers Cope Farm
St.Paul’s Church. In 1863 the foundation stone was laid for a church on the estate developed by Albemarle Cator. It was enlarged in 1868. One of the last alterations was the building of the William Hill organ in 1891. After the First World War a War Memorial Chapel was installed. In 1940 a land mine did a large amount of damage and in 1942 incendiary bombs came through the roof. A dent made by one can still be seen in the North Aisle. The church was rebuilt in 1949.

Bridge Road
Built as part of the rebuild of New Beckenham station at the insistence of posh locals and the Cator Estate. It connected the two halves of the estate.
New Beckenham Station was on the north side 1864-1868. It had four platforms for the through line to Beckenham Curve and from Beckenham Junction to Addiscombe. It did very badly and was closed. The station was abandoned and the station master’s house became a private house which was demolished 2003.

Cator Estate
Developed in the 1860s. Laid out by the Cators with wide posh roads and articulate residents. More recently there have been Span developments.

Cator Park
Commemorates John Cator, a local benefactor who built Beckenham Place in 1773. It was originally a garden for Cator Estate residents, the Kent House Pleasure Gardens and it became a public-access park in the 1930's.
Pool River – the Beck River meets the Pool here and the Chaffinch Brook rising in Shirley also flows into Pool River here.
Chaffinch's River in 1827, apparently a late name from the surname ‘Chaffinch’.

Copers Cope Road
This was the name of a large farm with a farmhouse on Southend Lane. This farm was of 250 acres and was bought by the Cators in 1813 and developed in the 1860s as New Beckenham.
Fitness First sports ground

Kent House
Border territory and named after what was the first house in Kent. First noted in the 12th when it was leased to Hospital of St.Katharine by the Tower.

King's Hall Road
16 plaque to Frank Bourne colour sergeant at Rorke’s Drift

Lawn Road
Name of a former field of Copers Cope Farm

Lennard Road
HSBC sports ground, which was the Midland Bank sports ground. Shortly after midday, 1st January 1945 the ground was hit, by a V2 severely damaging the pavilion, slightly damaging New Beckenham station, and injuring 14 people.
Cater Park School Sports and Conference Centre
New Beckenham Station. 1st April 1864. Between Lower Sydenham and Beckenham Junction or Clock House on the line from Lewisham to Hayes of South East Trains. Opened by the Mid-Kent Railway and subsidised by the Cator Estate. Initially the station was north of Bridge Road but was resited. In 1868 to north of the junction of the line to Beckenham Junction on the corner of Lennard Road. Line from Lewisham 1857 and through from Beckenham Junction line to Addiscombe 1864. The new site allowed the station to serve two lines. In 1877 the first Congregational services in Beckenham were started by a group of people in an iron room here. It was rebuilt again following complaints from posh locals in 1904 as a big brick station with lots of platform canopies. It was set alight by vandals in 1966 and it was rebuilt again.
Signal box built in the 1904 rebuild of the station.
Cator Park Secondary School. This had been Beckenham County Grammar School for Girls. Before the school was ready for use, the First World War meant it was requisitioned and used a hospital. In 1919 it was opened as a school. It was extended in 1927, but in 1959 it moved away. Balgowan Girls' then moved to these buildings and it was renamed Cator Park School for Girls.
Level Crossing here which was seen as dangerous and something posh Victorian locals complained about. Replaced by a tiled subway.

Park Road
Name of a former field of Copers Cope Farm
Minshull Court. Minshull House School opened in Park Road in 1868 and took both day girls and boarders for 97 years, until it closed in 1965. The flats known as Minshull Court stand on its site.

Saturday, 27 February 2010

Thames Tributary Ravensbourne - Pool, Chaffinch, Beck - Beckenham

Thames Tributary Ravensbourne
The Chaffinch flows north towards the Pool River and the Ravensbourne
The Beck/Pool flows east to join the Chaffinch flowing towards the Pool and the Ravensbourne.
The Beck flows north west towards the Chaffinch
TQ 36507 69046

Solidly comfortable middle class area of outer South London. Local facilities and commuter rail.  The art school is only claim to fame as the nurturer of David Bowie

Post to the north New Beckenham
Post to the east Beckenham
Post to the west Penge - Beckenham

Balgowan Road
Balgowan School –opened as Beckenham Central School. Built just pre First World War with a separate Infants school. During the war it was used as a hospital. In 1919 it opened as boys and girls, taking children who had just failed to qualify for a Grammar school place. In the late 1940s following reorganisation it continued as a Secondary Modern School. From 1959. It became a Junior and Infants school.

Barnmead Road

Beckenham Road
Clockhouse station. 1864. Between Elmers End and New Beckenham on South East Trains. Built by South Eastern Railway to the same design as Woodside Station. There was an opening on the down side to allow post office vans to load.
Signal box. This also controlled the line to Beckenham Council sidings.
Goods Yard. Shut October 1964
Beckenham Road Tram Stop. Opened 1998. Between Beckenham Junction and Avenue Road on Croydon Tramlink. This might be the site of an earlier station.
Penge Station – possible site of an 1858 station with only one recorded passenger. It was on a line which linked the former South Eastern & Crystal Palace Line at Kent House with the line to Beckenham Junction which now runs parallel to the Croydon Tramlink branch. The spur met the line at the point where the tram stop at Beckenham Road is now situated which means it is a point where a station could have been sited. The embankment that carried the line is still there.
Clock House. Substantial red brick mansion built in the 18th later haunted with rats. It was named from the large turret clock on the stable block. It was occupied in 1781 by Admiral Piercy Brett after whom Cape Brett and Piercy Island in New Zealand are named. Lord Byron said goodbye to Lady Byron there. It was demolished in 1896 but the Stables survived until 1926 and the clock was taken to Beckenham Place. The gardens, with lake and fountain became a nursery
School of Art. Thus was built on the site of the old Clock House, and the foundation stone dated 25.7.1899 is on the front, and carved in stone on the side, the words 'Science' and 'Art'. The school was opened in 1901. In 1931 the older boys moved and the Institute building then housed a Junior Technical School, This school was closed in 1958, when the boys were transferred to the new Technical School at Keston. In 1902 Art classes were held in the Technical Institute and in 1908 the building in Beckenham Road was built especially for an expansion of the Art school and the Beckenham School of Art became a full time diploma awarding institute. Plans for a new building in the 1950s were halted and various buildings around the area were taken over and used. In 1962 it closed and amalgamated with Sidcup Art School and Bromley School of Art to become the Ravensbourne College of Art and Design. The premises were then used as an Adult Education Centre but burnt down in 1978 and replaced by Beckenham Library Green
Library 1939
Sports ground
The Spa – this was Beckenham Baths 1902. Baths demolished. Beckenham Spa swimming pool opened 1999. Impressive.
Beckenham Baptist Church. Built 1889 with a saddleback spire. The foundation stones were laid in November 1882
Chaffinch Bridge

Cedars Road
Named for cedar trees in the grounds of Beckenham Lodge.

Chaffinch Road
Named for Chaffinch Brook
All Saints Church. Closed and demolished. It was on the corner of Clock House Bridge and built in 1907. It was a Mission Church of St Augustine's and was removed when St Augustine's became a separate parish.

Churchfields Road
Road was called Arthur Road or Back lane given to the parish
Electricity station. Combined electric light station and destructor. Some of the station on site was meant for coal and as a refuse destructor. Relics of London County Council and GLC on site.
St.Augustine Mission Hall. Opened in 1886. The present church was consecrated on 31 May 1945.
Arthur Road Mission 1889

Clock House Road
Chaffinch Brook culverted alongside the road.

Croydon Road
101d, site of Beckenham Lodge, at the junction with Beckenham Road. Pre- 1810 occupied by the Banyer family, then by Hulbert Wathen and then John Woolley. Cedar trees in the grounds.
Beckenham Cottage Hospital. Founded in 1872 by a group of local people with Peter Hoare of Kelsey Manor for the provision of a building in Middle Barnet Field, with four beds, a Matron and two doctors. At first patients were charged 6d. per day but three years later there were eight beds supported by house to house collections. Peter Hoare died in 1877 and his estate demanded a full rent leading to a full-time collector of funds. In 1887 they bought the freehold and added a new wing. Queen Victoria's Jubilee saw £1,500 raised towards a children's ward and in 1903 a new operating theatre. By 1929 45 beds were available and in 1939 the Trapnell Wing. In the Second World War thousands of outpatients received treatment. Major improvements were completed with the opening of Douglas Lindsey Ward in 1969. In 2010 it is again being rebuilt.
Christ Church Mission Room 1907. Established in Croydon Road, between the Cottage Hospital and Shaftesbury Road
205 Clockhouse pub. Closed
Croydon Road Recreation Ground. Oriental shelter. The fountain from the grounds of Clock House. On land given to the parish in the Middle Ages. Opened in 1889 with no ceremony – but local people thought there should be one and a demo was held so that they then had a treat there for the schoolchildren. Bandstand by Macfarlane Hope of Glasgow

Hayne Road
Woodbrook School: a school for girls and young boys known as Woodbrook ran here. The school closed in 1960 and Beckenham Education Committee demolished the old house built modern school for handicapped children. This closed 2000.
Riverside School opened in September 2007 on this site for special needs children.

Kings Hall Road
Kent House Station. 1st July 1863 between Beckenham Junction and Penge East on South East Trains. London Chatham and Dover Railway. Named after 1778 acre farm to the north on Kent House Road. In 1993 a train carrying an IRA bomb was diverted there where it exploded.
Cyphers Bowling Club, Burned out shell of the is home of Cyphers Cricket Club. Formed over 100 years ago, W G Grace and the actor Trevor Howard played there, as well as accommodating tennis and bowls and cricket. impressive club house dating from 1936 and funded mostly from donations burnt down and closed in 2004.

Old School Close
Churchfields School. Built on parish land given called Grubb Field, also called Bellrope Field because it paid for the bellrope. In 1889 the land was sold to the Beckenham School Board for £900. It was first called Arthur Road School, but later renamed Churchfields School. Now housing.

Sidney Road
Named after Sidney Cottage which was on the Beckenham Road corner. Vicarage for All Saints Church

Railway Line
North of Clockhouse station the line crosses Chaffinch Brook which is very prone to flooding. Ok with steam trains but a big problem once it was electrified. 1966 the stream was culverted.

Balgowan School. Web site
Connor. Forgotten stations of London
Industrial Archaeology Review
London Borough of Bromley. Web site
Manors of Beckenham
MPP electricity list
Pevsner and Cherry.  West Kent
Stewart.  History of Croydon
Wagstaffe and Pullen’. Beckenham anthology,
Walk round Beckenham

Thames Tributary Ravensbourne - The Beck - Beckenham

Thames Tributary Ravensbourne
The Beck stream enters central Beckenham flowing north and then turns north east towards the Pool River.
TQ 37183 69422

This is the area of Beckenham's town centre - busy while remaining middle class no-nonsense. The parish church and almshouses remain those of a large village rather than the small town Beckenham has become. The town retains a functioning cinema, and Beckenham Junction Station is a much less grand commuter stop than it sounds. It is also the final stop of the Croydon tram. Housing around the centre is solidly middle class and includes the remains of some great estates, now parkland.

Post to the west Clockhouse
Post to the east Beckenham
Post to the south Kelsey Park

Albemarle Road
A Cator Estate road, Albemarle was the first name of a family member at the time the road was built.
V1 - Second World War a hit with a V1 in 1944 cleared a lot of space in this area
Beckenham Green. This was a dense area until bombing in 1944. Opposite the
car park and next to the Church
Post-war buildings on the north side built on bomb sites. Offices and shops 1965/7. Flats with the taste of the mid-1960s. Now rebuilt again,
St.George’s church hall
Mission opened in 1877 Chapel foundation stone 1887 money used by bazaar, which made £600. The total cost was £4,500.
BR Southern Region, South East Divisional HQ here 1965-1983. Special trains were run for the staff who worked there.

Means ‘Beotha's village. This sort of name is likely to indicate an early Anglo-Saxon Settlement. Before 1272 the Manor it belonged a family from La Rochelle in France - Richard de la Rokele. It passed through several families until In 1773 Lord Bolingbroke, sold it to John Cator, who came from Ross, Herefordshire, and who built Beckenham Place.

Brograve Gardens
Brograve is the name of a past owner of Kelsey

Bromley Road
2 building which was part of the former Old Manor altered to become the Offices of the Beckenham Local Board. There is thought to be little material remaining from the pre-1881 building. In the 18th it was owned by the Burrels and then the Hoares. It was sold to Beckenham Local Board and used until the 1880s town hall was built. It then went to the London and County Bank and then to the Metropolitan Police.
4 Public hall. Built 1883 and the foundation stone laid by C.Mills and it included coins and the Times. It is Arts and Crafts style by George Vicars. Listed. Stands on the site of a wing of the Old Manor House owned by Hoare family
Beckenham's second fire station built from the manor house stables in 1905.The engine house has been rebuilt as flats
Firemen’s houses of 1926
Infants School which has been in constant use as a place of education since 1818. As a branch of the National Society for promoting the Education of the Poor. It was built in a field next to the church, given by Cator. It had two classrooms, for boys and for girls, with a house in between for the Master. Part of the ground floor of the Master's house remains and two original classrooms are still in use, also an original door. The building was extended in 1906 and then heating and indoor toilets installed.
1/3/5 Anthony Rawlins Almshouses for Widows. Administered by The Beckenham Parochial Charities which date dating from 1694. They were rebuilt in 1881 and there is a foundation stone outside. Above the centre doorway is a tablet "Anthony Rawlins Esq. built these Houses for ye use of ye poor of this Parish of Beckenham Anno. Dom. 1694”. Rawlins was a wealthy City merchant who died in Beckenham. The land was provided by the Lord of the Manor.
31/33 Bertie Cator Almshouses. Also owned by The Parochial Charities built in 1890 in memory of Peter Cator, They were taken over by the London Borough of Bromley, and rebuilt.
90 Oakhill Tavern. 19th public house on the site of an older one. It has four rooms, by three separate bars plus a garden at the rear
Entrance lodge to the Knoll. Tiny 19th
Wesleyan Chapel. Listed. Four foundation stones were laid and the building opened in 1887. However these stones are not apparent and may be below the present ground level.
The Old Beckenham Mission. Built 1876,
46 Beckenham Theatre Centre. Founded in 1948 as Beckenham Children’s Theatre, by Hanna Schweizer. The Prentice Players was formed to accommodate the older teenage members and in 1959, this house had been found. Fundraising was assisted by a variety of celebrities, and this 1883 family home was transformed into Britain’s smallest complete theatre. On Saturday 24th September 1960 Beckenham Theatre Centre was officially opened by comedian Dick Emery

Burnhill Road
Coach and Horses. 18th century public house. Statutorily listed.

Cator Estate
Cator Estate. Laid out c. 1864 and still with some of its original houses. Tall and yellow, with tentative polychromy, they are rather earnest and stodgy.

Chancery Lane,
Chancery Lane is an ancient route and is first recorded as a field called, Cowlees, purchased by the parish in 1674 as a garden for the parish workhouse. In 1854, a Court of Chancery judgement vested it as charity lands and the memory of that is perpetuated in the name. It is the relic of a hamlet.
29-43 cottages. It is thought these are mid 19th
25/26 Law Notes Lending Library
39 Blacksmiths forge which had two forges, fan and bellows
Jolly Woodman. Built in the 1860s and its shape if determined by the form of the lane.

Christ Church Road
A side road, between the side of the church and the car park. Built on the site of the Fairfield or Three Tuns Field. Two paths crossed this field so there was not much room for the cricket pitch. The Fair was held on 1st Monday in August.

Church Avenue
Town Hall. This was a neo Georgian building completed in 1932 to the competition winning designs C.H. F Lanchester & T A. Lodge. It included an electricity department and health clinic in separate blocks. Its collegiate plan council chamber was unique for a London town hall. Demolished in the mid 1960s.

Church Hill
Now part of the High Street. It had a Gazebo which served as a look-out for when the Squire's coach was expected back in the Village, and was the site of The Cage, the Stocks and the Pound for stray cattle.

Copers Cope Road
This was the name of a large farm. Possibly it was originally ‘Coopers Copse’. This farm was of 250 acres and was bought by the Cators in 1813..
3- 3a Copers Farm house. Early 18th front doubled in the 19th and given end gables. listed.

Court Downs Road
Was previously called Love Lane. Downs was the name of the meadow through which it ran. There are all sorts of stories saying Henry VIII’s court was held there and there was an old stone seat which Anne Boleyn allegedly sat on.
The Beck passes under it and there was once a footbridge.
11 may be by Hooper

Fairfield Road
Saxon and Norman pottery found here but the site was abandoned in the middle ages.
Christ Church. Consecrated by Archbishop of Canterbury in 1870; the foundation stone was laid by the Earl of Shaftesbury; it was Built by private subscription and the land given by a local nob. Stock brick, even the spire, by Blashill & Hayward. Bombed and rebuilt. By Charles Sykes. In 1873 when a temporary iron church was built. The church was severely damaged by a flying bomb in 1944 and, was re-built and reconsecrated in 1950.
The area of the public car park at the back of Sainsburys is the result of a flying bomb. It destroyed 20 houses, and Christ Church, 24 deaths

High Street
Before the middle of the 19th the High Street was a tree lined lane.
Railway Hotel. Meeting place of the West Kent Hounds. Bus operator Thomas Tilling had Livery Stables on site. Pub destroyed in bombing.
111 Ye Olde George Inn. 1662 stagecoach stop. Petty sessions were held there. It was the first house in Beckenham to be lit by gas. Weather boarded and a contrast to the other buildings.
150-154 Slug and Lettuce. Was previously the Hogshead
155 Haks Barbers. Shop which in a building once used as the Old Fire Station. The upper floors housed the Offices of the Local Board, before it moved to the Old Manor site. Village pump on the corner.
Village Water pump 19th. The water would have gushed from a spout set in the Lion's mouth.
157 Zizzi was the Three Tuns, pub from 1820 with Assembly Rooms. Locally listed. Became the Rat and Parrott and was an early place for David Bowie to play.
205 The Goose
237 Bricklayers Arms
32 St.Bride's House was St.George's Church Hall
75 Box Bar. This was the site Greyhound Inn and since rebuilt. Used to be separate from the rest of the town by the River Beck passing as an open stream in front. Only became a pub from the 1860s.
9 O’Neills, previously Drummonds Pub previously The Golden Arrow. It is opposite the station and one had a signal gantry for a sign
Barclays Bank. On the site of Beckenham Lodge, now a Thai restaurant.
Cedars Parade. On the site of where a high brick wall once enclosed a big house - Village Place also called The Cedars. Originally built 1688. This was once the residence of Samuel Wilson, Lord Mayor of London in 1838, and was demolished in 1920. It had been used for military purposes during the First World War.
Chessington Tyres. Art deco garage building
Christ Church Hall was the church School, 190l, and Sunday school 1877. Centre School
Electricity showrooms, Beckenham was proud of its municipal supply and this was part of civic building in 1932. It became LEB after nationalisation
Entrance gate of old Rectory. Its foundation stone is built into one of the entrance lobbies of the Beckenham Town Hall.
Kelsey House. Office block
141 Midland bank. Now HSBC
Mile stone, on the Bromley Road corner. It was, reconstructed here after being damaged and says: "London Bridge, Miles X (10) 2 Furlongs. One Mile and Half to Shortlands. Croydon Market Place Miles IV (4) 6 Furlongs through the Town.” It was erected in 1713 and restored in 1817, 1887 and 1976.
Odeon. This was The Regal. Cinema seating about 2,000, and which became a triple-screen. It was built by Robert Crombie in 1930. Art Deco with proscenium arch.
Pavilion Cinema opened in 1914 but demolished in the early 1930s. It was on the corner of and Village Way and it seated about 400. Shop on the site.
Police station built 1884. Listed.
Supermarket. On the site of Parish Clerk's House
St.George's Church. Humble medieval village church replaced in 1885 by the present town church in ragstone. The proportions are broad and low. Stained Glass by Thomas Freeth who also did the Altar cross and candlesticks. The old monuments were replaced: Sir Humphrey Style 1552 tomb-chest and brasses; Margaret Damsell 1563 brass; James Burdett 1710; Peter Burrell 1718; Hugo Raymond 1737 By Thomas Adye; Peter Burrell 1756; Stephen Holland 1768. Richard Acland put up after his wife's death in 1771; Amy Burrell,; 1790 Frances, Lady Hoare, 1800 Flaxman; Catherine Vansittart 1810 Chantrey; William, Lord Auckland, 1814 Jemima Wilson 1865;. Plaque to Jane Clerke with epitaph by Gray. There are two foundation stones, one for the building of the Rectory in 1789, and the other 1931 for the building of the former town hall, can now be seen in St George's Church.
Churchyard: 18th headstone to the grave of Margaret Finch, Queen of the Gypsies. Graves of Fox, Sharpes and Ayres family, who all used to be smugglers.
Lych gates. An example of 13th joinery. Listed. Reputedly "the oldest in England,” it may date from the 13th. It is surrounded by a group of yews and a weeping ash.

Kelsey Lane
Kelsey Lane was once a driveway for Kelsey Manor house. It still has an unmade surface in parts.

Kelsey Park Road,
Named from an estate called ‘Kelsies’ 1479, taken from the family of William Kelshulle who was granted land in Beckenham in 1408.The Road marks the division between the town centre and residential Beckenham.
Telephone Exchange. Gaunt Office of Works design. 1925.

Kelsey Square
The square served as the administrative centre of Beckenham in the early 1880's, after the establishment of the Local Board, but before the construction of the civic buildings.
Estate accommodation for Kelsey workers. Cottages are now statutorily listed and are contained within the Kelsey Square conservation area.
Ed VIII pillar box Carron ironworks

Kemerton Road
V1 destroyed four houses 1944.

Manor Road
Named to commemorate the Old Manor
Manor Preparatory School. In 1938 Miss A. Willsher founded the school, which occupied two houses. closed in 1971.

Manor Way
4 cottage Gothic. This is over 200 years old and was once the estate bailiff's office for the Kelsey Estate

Railway Line
Mid Kent Line curves sharply to a station quarter of a mile north of Beckenham itself. It passed through the Cator lands and were thus subject to stringent conditions.

Railway Approach
Beckenham Junction Station. Opened 1st January 1857 on the Mid-Kent Line, Between Shortlands and Kent House on South Eastern Trains. Terminus of Southern Trains from Birkbeck. Terminus of Croydon Tramlink from Beckenham Road. It was originally Opened by the London Chatham and Dover Company and called ‘Beckenham’; renamed ‘Beckenham Junction’ in 1865. The line was influenced by the Cator estate and they subsidised the station on condition there was no goods depot and no Sunday trains – so that nasty Londoners wouldn’t turn up on their day off. Cator employees looked after the trees and shrubs along the line which were there to hide the railway line. It was built as Italianate with a striking train shed and some of these original buildings are still in use. The station was originally built as a terminus for the Mid Kent Railway and was joined by the West End of London and Crystal Palace Railway line between Bromley Junction and Shortlands in May 1858. In the same year The London, Chatham & Dover Railway provided a through service and the South Eastern Railway built an extension to Addiscombe in 1864. Beckenham Junction Station was owned jointly between SER and LCDR. .
Goods depot – provided when the main line came through. There was a Locomotive turntable there.
Rutland Cottages for the railway from the 1860s.

Rectory Road
22 Citygate Christian Outreach Centre
War memorial. In the centre of a roundabout. It is a sculptured Portland stone column designed by Newbury A. Trent, unveiled by Sergeant B. Hanscombe DCM, MM in 1921. It cost £2,600.

River Beck
Beck is named from Beckenham and not the other way round. The stream rises at Spring Park to flow via Kelsey Park into Pool River.

St. George's Road
The road is lined with tall London Plane trees.
School. Originally built in 1818 as the Bromley Road Schools. Listed. Copper clad roof vent: the copper has oxidised and is a bright green colour.

Village Way
St.Edmund RC church. Built 1937 with a tower at the east end which has a pyramidal top of green copper. Designed J. O'Hanlon Hughes in Pale brown brick. Listed.

Wickham Road
34 appears to be by Hooper

Beckenham Theatre Centre. Web site
Bygone Kent
Christ Church. Web site
Cinema Treasures. Web site
Cox. Kent
Goldsmiths. South East London Industrial Archaeology
London Borough of Bromley. Web site
Manors of Beckenham
O'Neills. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. West Kent
Pevsner ad Cherry. South London
St. Edmund Church. Web site
St.George's Church. Web site
Wagstaff and  Pullen. Beckenham anthology,
Walk round Beckenham,
Ye Olde George Inn. Web site