Posts

Showing posts from January, 2018

Crystal Palace

Post to the north Crystal Palace Post to the east Penge Post to the south Anerley Post to the west Crystal Palace Anerley Park Penge Common . This area was originally part of Penge Common. The Croydon Canal . The canal lay to the north of the railway but the route was obliterated by development in the 1870s.  In the 1840s the canal was still in water and used for leisure, activities like boating and angling. Penge West Station . Opened in 1839 this now lies between Anerley and Sydenham on Southern Rail and is now also part of London Overground, who currently manage the station.  The original Penge station was opened by the London and Croydon Railway in 1839 and was closed again in 1841. The buildings remained while the line was parallel for the atmospheric railway and widened twice. In 1863 it was reopened by the London Brighton and South Coast Railway when the buildings were replaced. The ticket office was on the down platform along with a goods office, and waiting room. It

Croxley

Post to the south Croxley Hall Post to the west Croxley Green Post to the east Croxley Green Barton Way Named for Charles-Barton Smith, Manager at the Dickinson Mill, Councillor and Chairman of the Rickmansworth Urban District Council. Croxley Green Library. This is now a self service library. It originally opened in 1966 on the site of cottages, but was burnt down in 1992. It was rebuilt in 1994. British Red Cross .  Equipment loan centre and social centre. Barton Way Play Area . Adventure playground, lots of climbing. This is part of a larger recreation area opened when the housing was built in the 1930s Community Way Croxley Green Parish Council Offices . Very small. Community Club. Private not for profit organisation Allotments Dickinson Avenue Company housing built for Dickinson workers from the 1890s in what had previously been called Long Row. Dickinson Square Company housing built for Dickinson workers and designed by George Hubbard. It was built on what h

Crofton Park

Post to the north Brockley Post to the west Honor Oak Post to the east Ladywell Beecroft Road Beecroft Garden Primary School . The school was opened in 1894 as Brockley Road School. It was built on land previously owned by Christ’s Hospital. The school building was badly damaged in the Second World War by a V1 rocket and was demolished. It reopened as Brockley Primary School in 1951. Brockley Primary School was demolished in 2012 and again rebuilt now as Beecroft Garden Primary School. Brockley Cemetery This square covers only the south west section of the cemetery. The rest is in squares to the north and east. Brockley Cemetery is joined to Ladywell Cemetery and they were  opened within one month of each other in 1858 and are sited on adjacent plots of previously open land. Until 1948, they were completely separate, being divided by a wall. Brockley Cemetery, formerly Deptford Cemetery, lies to the west. In the area covered here there were once two chapels – Church of Engla

Cricklewood

Anson Road This area was owned by All Souls College, Oxford and in 1900, housing was built here. Trinity Court. This is the ex-Baptist Church. It was designed by Arthur Keen in the style of Italian Byzantine style in red and yellow brick. Anson Primary School. The school was built after the Second World War. 61 St Gabriel’s Hall.   After the Second World War this was sold to the local council for community use. It was later sold the building to the Dar Al-Islam Foundation. 61 Dar Al Islam Foundation. Shia Muslim Mosque Ashford Road Imperial Dry Plate Works . In 1871 Richard Maddox had discovered a way of coating photographic plates so they could be kept until needed rather than processed straight immediately. Joseph Acworth became interested in these and worked at the Britannia Dry Plate Co. in Ilford then did a PhD in Germany. He experimented and then set up the Imperial Dry Plate Company in a factory built by George Furness. The plates sold well and the factory had to be

Addington Hills

Post to the north Shirley Addington Hills Addington Hills . This was once called Pripledeane  meaning 'gravel valley', In 1874 the Croydon Board of Health purchased an initial area, and in 1903 added the part near Shirley was added in 1903, the Birch wood between Oaks Road and Coombe Lane was a gift from Frank Lloyd of Coombe Park and finally the Pine woods in the south east corner were added in 1919 The park rises from Oaks Road to a plateau of Blackheath Pebbles 460 feet above sea level. It is colonized by heather with groups of pines and other trees. Int he north west are steep valleys covered in Birch and Oak.  Springs which once marked the junction of the Blackheath and Woolwich beds have disappeared. Some areas of the park were excavated for gravel in the 19th and earlier. In 1963 a Viewing Platform was given by Alderman Basil Monk as a memorial to Croydon's Millenary. There are inscriptions and pointers to places of interest. Addington Reservoir. This is on so

Claygate

Post to the east Claygate Beaconsfield Road 20 this appears to have been built by Joseph Ellis, an industrialist and ‘ironmaster’ with an interest in many coal companies in the 19th   and early 20th.  From 1908 it was the offices of the Associated British Machine Tool Makers. It is now residential. Blakeden Road Named for Cuthbert Blakeden, Henry VIII’s Serjeant-of-the-Confectionary and owner of the manor. Built since the 1960s on the site of Elm Gardens Nurseries.  It had earlier been 'Capel Field’ and used by the Leveret Cricket Club, and later Elm Nurseries. Church Road Claygate Recreation Ground . The land was taken over by Esher Council in the 1920s. It is now managed by the Claygate Recreation Ground Trust. It is used by the Claygate Cricket Club, Claygate Royals Football Club & The Pavilion Cafe Holy Trinity Church . This was built in 1840 on former common land and was from the first a parish church. It has been enlarged and in 1999 a new church hall and vi

Clapham Old Town

Post to the west Clapham Common Post to the north Battersea Wandsworth Road Post to the north Clapham Park Aristotle Road 9 School House – old caretakers house Aristotle Road Schoo l. London School Board School dating from around 1900 and seems originally to have been a secondary girls school. Later known as Clapham Secondary Central and in the 1970s as Parkside Secondary School. Cardboard box facto ry.  This lay between the school and the railway and fronted onto Bedford Road Belmont Close This is part of what was once Wirtemberg Street 17 Oddfellows Hall - Shambala Centre . The hall was built in 1852 as a Chapel for the Ebenezer Strict Baptists and was known as Garner Chapel. In 1863 it was sold to the Bible Christians.  In 1908 it was purchased by the Pride of Clapham Lodge of the Independent Order of Oddfellows, which still owns it and holds its meetings there. Part of the building is used by the Shambala Meditation Centre. This is a peace and meditation organisation. Eb