Sunday, 28 October 2012

Edgware Brook Little Stanmore

Edgware Brook
Edgware Brook flows northeastwards

Post to the west Stanmore Marsh
Post to the south Canons
Post to the east Edgware

Canon’s Park
Marked on the Ordnance map of 1877, and named from the estate owned by the Augustinian canons of St Bartholomew's, Smithfield, who got six acres of land here in 1331. The site of the house of the Duke of Chandos, eventually the site of the North London Collegiate School is to the north of this area, but the public park area covers the remains of his grounds. The park is a fragment of an 18th landscape garden laid out between 1713 and 1720 by the Duke of Chandos. Garden designers associated with the grounds include George London, Dr Richard Bradley and Tilleman Bobart who was in charge until 1724, followed by Thomas Knowlton and Alexander Blackwell, who modelled it on Versailles. John Theophilus Desaguiliers is said to have to designed the water features.  In the park were 4 radiating tree lined avenues. After Chandos’ death the estate passed to other owners and it is thought that Humphrey Repton worked here in 1816 and in 1910 Charles Mallows. The area now covered by the park was acquired by Harrow Council in the 1920s. It became known as Canons Park Open Space and was neglected but had recently been restored with help from various heritage funds and a Friends organisation. There is a cafĂ©, toilet and an adventure playground.
Southern Avenue. This raised, carriageway ran from the Duke’s Palace in the direction of Whitchurch Lane. It has been planted with trees, but few if any 18th trees survive except for the Cedars.
King George V playing fields. This commemorates King George V and is a walled garden in the park. It is the area of the 18th walled kitchen garden and included the Duke's melon ground, fruit trees, vegetable plots hothouses for pineapples and other exotic fruits. It was completely re-designed in the 1930s and reflects that period, with evergreens and seasonal displays. There is a central square pool surrounded by a terrace with steps, formal flower beds and a pavilion.
Hawthorn Orchard. This is an enclosed plantation which probably is part of the 18th designs by Alexander Blackwell. The hawthorns were planted in the early 1950s
Spinney. This is the wooded area between Whitchurch Lane and the boundary of the School on the east side of the park.  An old hedgerow may be remnants of the earlier medieval landscape

Canon’s Park Estate
The Pards Estate was a trust established in 1919 by Arthur du Cros. In 1926 George Cross bought 85 acres the park from the Trust and built houses like 16th Kentish black and white farmhouses. The estate was planned by A J Butcher, ARIBA who kept the trees and the basin and divided the Canon’s Drive into house size plots. He also designed the layout for additional roads off it. Houses were built 1927-1936 designed by Butcher and also Sandon Brothers, H A J Copps, Sword Daniel and Co and F W Bristol and Co.

Canons Drive
Canons Drive follows the original path of the entrance to the Canons estate and designed to create the optical illusion of the house being twice its actual size. The road was planted with Wellingtonia.
The entrance gate to Canons Place was the entrance to the Chandos estate and has grand decorated 18th gate piers
The Basin. A feature of the original park layout which survives. It is a small oval pool maintained by the residents association. It is surrounded by sycamore, oak, planted limes and horse chestnuts, plus alder and crack willow at the water’s edge. Coot, moorhen, and black headed gulls are the most common birds seen along with the ubiquitous Canada geese and ducks of various kinds.

Chandos Crescent
78 Chandos Children’s Centre. Opened in shop premises 2008

Chandos Recreation Ground
Opened pre-Second World War by the local council on a hillside. Named after the Duke of Chandos,

Churchill Road
One of a group of roads noting Second World War leaders

Montgomery Road
One of a group of roads noting Second World War leaders

Orchard Close
The central island green is large and planted with shrubs and trees plus an interesting rockery.

St Lawrence Way
St. Lawrence church, Little Stanmore was given by Roger de Rames to St. Bartholomew's priory, in 1244. After the Reformation the church belonged to the lords of the manor.  In 1714 until 1744 the incumbent was John Theophilus Desaguliers, natural philosopher and inventor of the planetarium. The church was originally built in the 12th in white stone - hence it became known as ‘Whitchurch’.  , Nothing survives of this building. The oldest part now is the early-16th west battlemented tower, of brick and flint rubble. The church was rebuilt in 1715 – dated on the rainwater heads - by John James for the Duke of Chandos. Outside the walls are simple brick with plain stone-arched windows but inside The Duke employed fashionable artists and they created the dramatic interior of the church with paintings and "Trompe - l'oeil" is used to considerable effect. Inside the nave walls were painted in grisaille, probably by Francesco Sleter assisted by Gaetano Brunetti and there is a vaulted ceiling, painted by Louis Laguerre. At the west end the Duke’s gallery had a canopy painted by Belucci. The effect is of a theatre and wooden Corinthian columns on each side of the altar make the organ, appear as if on a stage and with the altar it is flanked by paintings attributed to Belucci and Laguerre. The woodwork includes an organ case carved by Grinling Gibbons. The organ is said to have been played by George Frederick Handel and it has been restored as Handel would have known it by Goetze and Gwynn of Worksop. There are original oak box-pews with iron rings to hold chains for the service books. The pulpit is from the 18th.  Books belonging to the church included a copy of the ‘vinegar Bible' of 1716, presented by Chandos.
Chandos Mausoleum. This was added to the church in 1736. A pantheon, designed for the Brydges' monuments and which later became but leads to a painted room, completed by James Gibbs in1735. The walls and ceiling are decorated with 18th illusionistic wall paintings by Gaetano Brunetti to complement the tomb of the 1st Duke of Chandos. The tomb includes a white marble monument which stands against the east wall. It is probably by Andrew Carpentier and shows the duke, in Roman costume, between his first two wives.
Churchyard. In the church yard is a tombstone to William Powell, supposedly Handel’s “Harmonious Blacksmith” Powell was the parish clerk and the blacksmith an apprentice, William Lintern, who took up music
Vicarage – a house with an orchard adjoining the churchyard was there in 1666.  The building was replaced in 1852 by one designed by Anthony Salvin, on what is now the north-west side of the Close. This was demolished in 1967 and a smaller house built in 1970.                  
Church hall. This had been built in Whitchurch Lane between Meads and Montgomery roads, by 1911.  After fires in 1966 and 1970; a new one was opened in 1972.       
Lake Almshouses. These stood near the site of the current church hall and were still there in the 1930s.  These dated from the mid-17th funded by bequests from the Lake family,          

Whitchurch Gardens
Part of Chandos Park sold by du Cros in 1911 where semis were being built a bowling green and tennis courts, in 1911

Whitchurch Lane
An old hedgerow between here and the Park may be a remnant of the earlier landscape.
Canons Park Station.  Opened in 1932 it now lies between Stanmore and Queensbury on the Jubilee Line. It was originally built by the Metropolitan Railway. It was originally called ‘Canon’s Park (Edgeware)’. There were two entrances in Whitchurch Lane on either side of the bridge. There were shops either side of entrances and flats above. It has a canopied entrance to the booking hall and here is a viaduct with shops, flats above. Inside are doors in light wood and lower walls in polished black stone. The ticket offices were wood framed with bronze money trays and rails. There are original wooden handrails on the stairs. In 1933 the name was changed to ‘Canon’s Park.’ In 1939 it became a Bakerloo Line station and in 1979 Jubilee Line. 

Field. Place Names of London
Friends of Canon’s Park. Web site
London Borough of Harrow. Web site
London Encyclopaedia
London Gardens Online. Web site
London Railway Record
Middlesex Churches
Middlesex County Council. History of Middlesex
Nairn. Nairn’s London
Pevsner and Cherry. London North West
Stevenson. Middlesex
St.Lawrence Church. Web site.
Walford. Village London,

Thursday, 25 October 2012

Edgware Brook Canons

Edgware Brook
The Edgware Brook flows east and north
TQ 18488 90420

Suburban area with playing fields and parks, and some light industry

Post to the north Little Stanmore

Bransgrove Avenue
Woodlands First and Middle School, Special School

Camrose Avenue
Camrose Baptist Church.  From 1934 people began to gather together regularly and Camrose Baptist Church in 1935 meeting in a wooden hut. The main church, was originally planned as the church hall, and opened in 1936. An extension was opened in 1976.
Chandos Recreation Ground. Named after the Duke of Chandos, this was laid out before the Second World War on a hillside. The original gates remain and there is a brick pavilion as well as sports facilities.

Dalston Gardens
Trading and light industrial buildings.  These have included a number of bodies involved in electronic research
2 Glen Spectra – specialise in equipment for light measurement and are part of Horoba Instruments. This is the UK division of International Japanese electronics co. This was set up in 1945 by Masao Horiba in Kyoto in order to continue nuclear physics research interrupted by Japan’s defeat in the war.
30 Aerofoam UAV Systems design and build launching systems for radio control sailplanes, EDFs and anything else that requires an assisted acceleration to reach flight velocity
Mictell Hillpress.  Bespoke electrical engineering set up in 1967 by Mick and Terry.
6 Zenith Radio Research (UK) UK division of heavy duty US electronic research organisation. On site in the 1970s
Clipsal. UK division of Australian electric accessories firm, now part of Shneider on site in the 1970s
Associated Electronic Engineers. 1940s research and manufacture of radio etc equipment on site in the 1940s

Honeypot Lane
Trading and industrial units on the east side
650 Stanmore Fire Station. Built 1960
498 Kempner Shrink-wrap materials. Equipment for shrink-wrapping
490 Olson House. Olson Electronics. Manufacture of PDU power distribution units
404 Honeypot Medical Centre

Prince Edward Playing Fields
Flood Storage Area for the Edgware Brook
The Hive.  Wealdstone Football Club needed a new ground, and a site was found at the Prince Edward Playing Fields which had fallen into disuse. The gates were locked due to lack of funding by the then owners, London Borough of Camden. Construction finally began in 2003, but the project began to be hindered by various problems and the building work was halted completely in 2004. By then the grounds had already been transformed with the pitches levelled and a new 3,000 capacity stadium nearly built. In 2006 Harrow Council put the unfinished ground up for tender and Barnet (professional) Football Cub won the bid – and with money has set it up at ‘The Hive’. Very unclear which Prince Edward it is named for or how Camden came to have it – presumably lobbed out to them when the GLC went down under Thatcher.
Hendon Sewage farm – marked as such alongside the Edgware Brook in the 1930s.

Roch Avenue
42 Rochdale Scouts Centre. This was originally All Saints Queensbury Church and after a new church was opened it became the headquarters of the 1st/6th Edgware Scout Group.

St David’s Drive
Little Stanmore Nursery, First and Middle School
Camrose Primary School. This school, for juniors and infants, opened in1931. Some children were initially taught in St. Lawrence's church hall and the remainder in a temporary wooden building in St. David's Drive. A senior department was opened as a separate school, but these later moved away, A there were plans for a new school building in 1970,

Shaldon Road
Canons High School. This was Downer Grammar School built in 1952. It was named after Thomas Downer, a 15th magistrate of Harrow. In 1974 it merged with Camrose Secondary Modern School. It had Technology College status in 2002 and in 2011 became a Science College.

Aerofoam web site
Camrose Primary School. Web site.
Canons School. Web site
Clipsal web site
Field. London Place Names
Horoba Web site
London Gardens On line. Web site
Mictell Web site
Woodlands School. Web site

Wednesday, 24 October 2012

Edgeware Brook - Stanmore Marsh

Edgware Brook
The Brook flows east and south

Post to the west Stanmore Park
Post to the east Little Stanmore

Abercorn Road
Stanmore Baptist Church.  The foundation-stone was laid in 1935.  This had grown from a group meeting in the Old Barn and started among workers on the new housing in the area. The building was km brick and including a hall, classrooms, and vestry. It was enlarged in 1963 with a bigger hall, and classrooms
Stanburn First and Middle schools. Stanburn School opened on its present site in 1938 with the junior school on the floor and the infants on the ground. It was seen as a major design by W.T. Curtis and H.W.Burchett Middlesex County Council architects influenced by Dudok. Stanburn, like their other schools, features a central stair tower. There have however been extensions added since. In 1973 it was split into First and Middle Schools and in 2010 once again became Stanburn Junior School and Stanburn Infant School.
Blast Shelter. In 1939 during the school Christmas holidays air raid shelters were built in the school grounds. Trench shelters were dug on the playing field and a blast shelter. The blast shelter was a free-standing brick building with a reinforced concrete roof. Until 2005 the shelter was used for storage but after that a project to restore it was set up. It now houses a collection of Second World War memorabilia

Du Cros Road
1 St. William of York. Roman Catholic Church. This was opened in 1960. It is in brick with a hall at the rear.

Elm Park
Stanmore College. Further Education College, set up in 1987 and originally Elm Park College

Honeypot Lane
The name is said to come from the sticky nature of the moist clay. It is a track from the pre-Roman period.
Brook - a stream flowed from sports ground to the Whitchurch Lane junction and met joined the Edgware Brook where there was a ford. This is now in a culvert
Amber House on the site of the Green Man pub. The final public house was built in the late 1930's . It has now been demolished and there is housing on the site. The previous establishment known locally as the 'Hog and Donkey'.
897 Conways 4
Honeypot Medical Centre and Library. Opened 1940  and designed Curtis and Burchett for Middlesex County Council. The library no longer functions.

Marsh Lane
Stanmore Gas Works, This was originally opened in 1858 as the Great Stanmore Gas Co. Ltd. It was built by a Mr. Penny on behalf of J.W. Chapman who also operated a works in harrow. It amalgamated with the Harrow works in 1894 as the Harrow and Stanmore Gas Co. whereupon it was closed. However it remained as a holder station and booster plant, and more modern holders were built.  It had no rail or water connection making the manufacture of coal gas difficult and coal had to be delivered in carts. The company operated a workers co-partnership scheme from 1912 .  A cottage at the gas works gate is listed and three holders remain.
Marsh Farm. First noted in 1520. The  fields were used as a tip for Marylebone rubbish until c.1920.
Stanmore Marsh. This was common land and was grazed by the livestock of commoners from both parishes. Great Stanmore and Little Stanmore. Today it is open land and an important site for nature conservation. There is grassland some of which is mown and some scattered trees in it. There is also woodland over a central mound and a copse around a seasonal pond. The Stanburn flows through a concrete channel in the north section and is lined with trees and shrubs,
Stanmore Chapel. An independent, Baptist, Evangelical church founded in 1932. Alfred Reed, an underground train driver, worked had a congregation of eight in the Old Barn, Old Church Lane and they became a church and he became the pastor. The church grew and funds were raised for the chapel which opened in 1937. They later built a hall and a manse, while Rev. Reed continued to work for the Underground.

Old Church Lane
30 Stanmore Cottage Hospital. This was opened in 1890 funded by two local ladies. In 1948 it joined the NHS and became an old people’s home and closed in 1980. It later became a residential care home for children
69 Stanburn House. New buildings on the site which included the Old Barn and was used as a Baptist Church

Wemborough Road
Sports Ground. 2 junior football pitches and 6 senior football pitches used by local clubs.
Whitchurch First and Middle Schools opened in 1992
Whitchurch Pavilion. Sports facility damaged by fire
Canon’s Hall - Canon’s Community Centre. Everything from ballroom dancing to racing pigeons.

Canons Community Association. Web site.
Field. London Place Names
Friends of the Earth. Gas Works sites in London
Honeypot Lane. Web site
Lost Hospitals of London. Web site.
Modernism in Metroland. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry.  North West London
Stanburn School. Web site
Stanmore Baptist Church. web site
Stanmore Chapel. web site
Stanmore College. web site
Stanmore College. Wikipedia Web site
Stewart. Gas works of the North Thames Area
St. William of York. Web site
Whitchurch Infants School. Web site

Tuesday, 23 October 2012

Edgware Brook - Stanmore Park

Edgware Brook
The Edgware Brook (Stanburn) is joined by tributaries and flows south and east

Post to the north Great Stanmore
Post to the east Stanmore Marsh

Douglas Close
Stanmore Air Cadets. The cadets are in the one building remaining from the Stanmore Park RAF Station.  This is what was the NAAFI building and it now houses various youth and community groups as well as the 2236 ATC Sqn
Stanmore Park Children’s Centre

Elliott Road
Married quarters for personnel at RAF Stanmore

Gordon Avenue
Laid out and built up by Frederick Gordon of Bentley Priory who named it after himself.  Gordon had come from Ross-on-Wye, the eldest son of a decorator. Who had qualified as a solicitor and then built up the largest chain of hotels in the world. He bought Bentley Priory and other land in Stanmore, promoted the railway and the golf club.
2-4 Orme Lodge Day Hospital. A 19th house, Orme Lodge, was used by the Royal Air Force in the Second World War and subsequently in 1946 bought by Middlesex County Council in 1946 as an old people's home. It became part of the NHS in 1948 and become a geriatric unit of Edgware General Hospital with 22 beds. It was later used as a Day Centre for the elderly and for the Harrow Learning Disability Clinic. T closed in 2005 and subsequently sold and is now housing.
Gate Piers to Stanmore Park. 19th stone gate piers, square with decorations.
Stanmore Golf Club. Fredrick Gordon bought the land which is now covered by the golf course and opened it in 1893. It is on the former parkland of Stanmore Park. Landscaping work by the Duke of Chandos in the 18th including heightening a pre-existing mound to create a 'point de vue'.  Belmont was later part of the Stanmore Park estate and the hill is now within the golf course. It was later part of the estate of Andrew Drummond who commissioned further landscaping work. The remains of this landscaping remain on the golf course although there has been subsequent planting. It appears Gordon intended it as a private course for the use of guests at his proposed Bentley priory hotel and his circle of friends. In 1893 working with his friend Thomas Blackwell of Crosse & Blackwell, he turned it into a private club. Originally there were 27 holes, a full length "men's course" and a shorter "ladies course”. Part of the land has since been sold and leaving 18 holes surrounding the Belmont hill in the centre of the course. The club-house was built south of Gordon Avenue in 1971
Stanmore Park RAF used the park at a balloon centre in the Second World War.
Temple Pond – this is a relic of 18th and 19th landscaping created by damming the Stanburn Stream. It was once a fish pond in the Stanmore Park estate.
26-28 Herondale. Built 1891-2, one of a number of large houses built here after the opening of Stanmore station. It is said to be a late work by Alfred Waterhouse in the Norman Shaw manner. It is thought to have been constructed for a railway director along with the associated coach house. It is now ten separate flats.
63 Cheyne Cottage. 1910, by Clough Williams-Ellis with a vast tiled roof. Two cruciform chimneys and central bell cupola with a weathervane

Montrose Walk
Runs east-west along the Edgware Brook, north of the golf clubhouse. Trees include yews, Scots pine, oaks, and horse chestnuts. Montrose was a local house and home of Air Marshall Dowding during the Second World War

Old Church Lane
Stanmore Village Station. Opened in 1890 by the London and North Western Railway through the pressure of Gordon, the owner of Bentley Priory, who wanted to use it as a resort for posh people. There was  Residents’ pressure for a ‘nice’ building here. Built with Gothic elements in red brick it was like a little country church with a clock tower. Inside was a single platform with cast iron and glass and ironwork supports for the awning with the Gordon family arms. Between the junction of Gordon Avenue and Old Church Lane. It was known as ‘The Rattler’ – and from 1950 it was called Stanmore Village to avoid confusion with the nearby London Transport Station.  In 1952  it was closed to passengers only freight for coal and bananas and by 1964 that had all gone too as the Beeching cuts kicked in.. Much of the station was demolished in 1970 but some of it was converted to a private house sadly in such a way as to lose some of the eccentric charm of the building, but there is a plaque.
Goods depot and four sidings. From 1952 the goods shed was a banana warehouse.
Manor house. The first known manor-house was built by John, abbot of St. Albans 1235-60.  Presumably it occupied the moated site in the medieval village, south of the site of St. Mary's church; between Old Church Lane and the Stanburn brook– roughly at the junction of Old church Lane and Wolverton Road.  Four sides of the moat survived in the 1830s on a farm and could still be traced in gardens in the 1930s.
Manor house. The mansion-house' recorded in 1587-8 may have been new, John Burnell was said to have rebuilt his house there. It was taken over by the owners of Canons in the 18th, altered and leased out. It was eventually demolished in 1930.
New Manor House. This was to the south in Old Church Lane opposite the junction with Gordon Avenue. It was a remodelling in 1930 of a 19th house called The Croft by Samuel Wallrock and  old materials were incorporated into it. It was bought by the Ministry of Defence in 1940 and was used as a residence for senior officers in 1971.

September Way
Built on the site of Stanmore Village Station goods yard

British History, Stanmore. Web site
British Listed buildings. Web site.
Disused Stations. Web site
Jackson. London’s Local Railways
London Borough of Harrow. Web site
London Encyclopaedia
Lost Hospitals of London. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. London North West
Smyth. Citywildspace,
O’Connor. Forgotten stations of London.
Osborne. Defending London
RAF Stanmore. Wikipedia web page
Stanmore Golf club. Web page.
Stanmore Village Station. Web page

Monday, 22 October 2012

Edgware Brook Great Stanmore

Edgware Brook

The Edgware brook flows south and east. At this point it is called the Stanburn Stream

Post to the west Bentley Priory
Post to the south Stanmore Park

Aylmer Close
1 House built in 1963 and Designed by Edward Samuel. There is an entrance terrace, with unpainted board-marked reinforced concrete beams and a  timber-framed structure above, There is an adults' wing and  children's wing- the children's bedrooms each have a mezzanine gallery with a timber balustrade. This is a modern house of quality with many original interior features.

Aylmer Drive
Private road with manned gatehouse at the eastern end. It is on the site of a mediaeval tenement called Aylwards which also owned fields going down the hill. Aylwards was still extant in 1934 when Sir John Rees, Bt., M.P. and his son Sir Richard Had successively owned it.

Bentley Priory Park
Deer park. The herd of fallow deer are said to be in a private park.
Boot Pond. Spring fed pond, allegedly boot shaped. 

Bowls Close
Site of Bowls House.

Chambers Walk
Gated development on the Stanmore Park Estate. Built early 21st

Cherry Tree Way
Married quarters built here for officers stationed at Bentley Priory in the 1960s and have since been sold. New houses and flats in an 'Olde Worlde' Arts and Crafts style have been built as the RAF properties were sold and sometimes they incorporated parts of the older building

Church Road
Church Road follows the line of an old route at the bottom of which linked Watling Street with Harrow Weald and Uxbridge.
21 Regent House a red brick 18th house with an 18th door case
35 Spice Rack. In an old post office building from the 1930s
43 The Crazy Horse. This tapas and late night cocktail bar is a conversion of the Crown Hotel first licensed in 1803.
Bernays Gardens. The gardens are on two sides by 19th brick walls. Red brick walls to Bernays Gardens enclose it to form a "secret" garden within. They have been repaired and rebuilt several times and are made up of blocked doorways, buttresses and assorted bricks. Samuel Wallrock planted the grounds of the Croft with mature trees some of which were rare species replanted from Aldenham House and some of which remain in the Gardens. It is entered through a wooden gateway with grilles. Serpentine paths cross the gardens, and there are many mature trees including a copper beech, oaks, yew, and horse chestnuts.  The Park Shelter – also called the Cowsheds – backs onto the garden of Cowman’s Cottage. The Tudor well cover, now used as a large, ornate plant pot, is an interesting relic. The northern part of the grounds were purchased from the Parochial Church Council in 1948 and opened to the public as Bernays Gardens in 1950. The name relates to the Bernays family - Leopold Bernays was Rector here from 1860-1883, followed by his son Stewart 1898-1924.

Dennis Lane
Dennis Lane, so called by 1578, and its southerly extensions may mark a north to south prehistoric track way older than Watling Street. In 1865 it sloped upwards between fields.
Stanmore Tennis Club. Dates from 1936

Elm Park Road
A cul-de-sac with detached houses

Green Lane
5 Pinnacle Place. 19th house
Pynnacles. This was the name of a medieval tenement and covered the land between Green Lane and Stanmore Hill. The area included “Butts Field”, which was used fir archery practice in the 16th. The house known as Pynnacles was at the junction with Church Road and fronted onto Green Lane. The house was at one time occupied by Col. Hamilton Tovey Tennent who, encouraged by the Hamilton-Gordons and Queen Adelaide was responsible for providing the new church. It was burnt down in 1930 and thus released several acres of land for development.
1-2 brick cottages built 1820,
1-4 Franklyn Cottages, built 1813 with some original timber features
1-4 Park Cottages are set back down a lane. They are semi-detached cottages in brick.
1-4 Pinnacle Place. Dated as 1822 by a wall plaque.
5 Pinnacle Place. Early 19th and set back
3-6 Green Lane Cottages in red brick
7, 8, 9 row of 19th cottages in brick with a weather boarded first-floor
11-12 Green Lane Cottages in brick
Benhale Close. On the site of a 19th mansion of this name
Boveda. 20th building with white render and a pantile roof.
Chart Cottages, built in 1903 with some original features remaining.
Cherchefelle Mews. Sheltered housing built in the late 1980s which includes the 19th lodge to Pynnacles House.
Culverlands Close. On the site of a 19th mansion of this name
Fordyce, built 1908 and designed by K Wilson in brick and mock timber framing
Hillcrest Cottages. Built 1903
Littlecote built around 1910 by Francis Creamer, a local builder,
Martinsell built around 1910 by Francis Creamer, a local builder,
Olde Cottage, a low building with timber framing. And white washed weather-boarding. It could be 17th
Park House. 19th house in red brick with some blind, painted windows.
Rylands. Building of 1880, containing three timber framed bays possibly from a 17th barn. In the garden is a section of the wall of the original Pynnacles House.
Tremar. Built in 1935 by A. Abbot for a Mr Smith. It rendered in pink
Woodside. Built 1893 by Arnold Mitchell in the style of Norman Shaw. Demolished in 1962.

Halsbury Close
1 house built in 1938-9 by Rudolf Frankel in brick for his sister. A wing incorporates the garage. The main rooms face the garden, and at a corner is a set back paved verandah under am oversailing first floor, supported on single post.  Inside are some original features including the bell system to the former maid's room and original bookcases in the lounge.
2 also by Frankel, but has been much altered.

Lady Aylesford Avenue
Site of Stanmore Park and development of RAF Station early  21st

Old Church Lane
The line of Old Church Lane follows a medieval route which was extended southward by successive developments. The site of the medieval village was marked only by the moat of the manor-house and population gradually moved from this area to the present Church Road.
St John the Evangelist. Nice new church begun in 1849 by Henry Clutton in Kentish Rag and Bath stone - materials which stand out against the dark red brick of the surrounding buildings.  Its battlemented tower is the focus of views around the area. The land was given by Colonel Hamilton Tovey Tennent of Pynnacles. Inside are two stained glass windows by Edward Burne-Jones, 1885 and one by Thomas Willement 1849. The font has the Wolstenholme Arms. Monuments were transferred from the Old Church, including those to John Burnell, John Dalton, Sir John Wolstenholme and others.
Old church. St John the Evangelist. The ruined church built 1632 is picturesque but of architectural importance as an early classical brick church without aisles or a choir. It replaced an earlier medieval building amd was built on a more northerly site to follow population movements. It was paid for by the City merchant adventurer Sir John Wolstenholme and is attributed to Nicholas Stone It was dedicated by Archbishop Laud, and this consecration was one of the reasons given for beheading him.   The roof was removed when the new church was built in 1849. It has a west tower and a mortuary chapel attached to the side. The Hollond tomb of 1867 was in the centre of the old nave and the coffin of the 4th Earl of Aberdeen, Prime Minister 1852-55, is in a vault here, recently recovered. The ivy-covered ruins were abandoned in 1845 on account of its alleged dangerous condition. There were protests against proposed demolition and Considerable renovation work has been done and the church is still consecrated and occasionally used. It has been paved inside.
Saint Mary's Church. This replaced a Saxon church on the same site possibly in the 14th. . It was south of the present churches and its foundations were found in the construction of the railway.
Churchyard.  This is surrounded by clipped hedging and contains a war memorial and many monuments. These include: tomb of Philip Jackson; an urn to Mary Wood; the tomb of librettist W. S. Gilbert; tomb of Mark Beaufoy astronomer and vinegar brewer; a grave with 'Mackintosh' on it; an obelisk erected by J C Loudon to his parents; Tomb of Betty Jellicoe the five-year old daughter of Admiral of the Fleet Earl Jellicoe. Among the trees are two yews, a large Wellingtonia and an oak tree. There is a lych gate at the entrance.
War Memorial. This is in Cornish granite in the shape of a Celtic cross.  Rectangular bronze panels list the names of the 57 men of Stanmore who did not return from action in the Great War. A panel read '1914 - 1918. Remember with thanksgiving the true and faithful men who in these years of war went forth from this place for God and the right, the names of those who returned not again are here inscribed to be honoured for evermore'. The memorial was dedicated in by the local vicar
Bowl of a water fountain. This stood originally at the junction of Green Lane and Stanmore Hill but is now outside St John's.
Cowman’s Cottage, Church House Cottage and Church House. 16th 13 windows length range of buildings which are all linked and form a whole. They are  ‘Tudorbethan’ buildings done up by Samuel Wallrock to create "period" buildings using historic details.  They have ornate Tudor style chimneys, stone mullion windows with leaded lights and the rear has exposed timber work with infill render panels. They were made up of cottages and outbuildings, probably of the old Manor, to form a 'Tudor' banqueting hall and guest accommodation for Wallrock’s new Manor House. He became bankrupt in 1932 having spent an estimated £100,000 on all this so the Church took over the decorative outbuildings as a church hall and verger's residence. On Church House Cottage is a plaque saying 'Children of our hearts learn from flowers that grow in golden days' and in front is a terrace with flower beds and palms,
Tithe Barn.  17th barn extensively rebuilt in the 18th. This was used to store crops given in payment to the manor by the Parish. Long, brick range with gabled timbered entrance.
Lych-gate, located in the open space by Cherry Tree Way.  It appears to have been placed here after 1935. It is built of old timbers, although these are not joined together.
Gate House Lodge. Another Tudornbethan building by Wallrock
Old Church House and Stanmore House. This is converted from stabling for 6 horses and a covered way added in the 18th

Pynnacles Close
10 Oak Trees, is thought to be by Rudolf Frankel
Elms Lawn Tennis Club
The Elms had been built by 1879 behind the buildings on the north side of Church Road, with a drive from near the Crown pub,

Rectory Close
Developed in 1958

Rectory Lane
Rectory Lane, previously known as Colliers Lane, was a public highway and is now a dead end. It is lined with trees in the churchyard and the hedge. This creates a green 'tunnel' over the lane.
Rectory.  In 1721 the 1st Duke of Chandos assisted George Hudson to build a rectory. It had a pedimented gable. It was demolished in 1960 and replaced on the same site.
Wolstemhome, sheltered housing for Harrow Churches Housing Association.

Stanmore Hill
Stanmore Hill, reaching the Uxbridge road between Dennis Lane and Green Lane, may have started as a branch from Green Lane, which it meets half-way up the slope; since the 18th.
The Queen's Head, licensed by 1751 and was on the corner of the hill and Church Road in 1888, when it was no longer an inn;
5 Lebanese restaurant. Previously Alfies and before that a pub called The Malthouse.
13 gardener’s cottage,  19th house in yellow brick.
17 Elm House. Three-quarters of an 18th  red brick house. In 1888 it had a kitchen garden, greenhouse, orchard and tennis lawn. It retains a boundary wall.
19-21 19th houses of with diapered blue brick, fretted bargeboards and decorative chimneys. This was a bank.
23 Nunlands, with a 19th stucco refacing but built 1720. In the 18th it was called Talbot House. It is now offices.
33 19th house in red brick.
37 is an early 18th building taken over in 1898 by Hendon Rural District Council as Council Offices. One room was used as the council chamber. In 1927 Alfred Busbridge and Sons, builders bought it from the Council.
42-44 Goodengate. 19th house divided up into flats.  There is an iron balcony at the first floor.
52 Ivy Cottage - 54 late 18th cottages in brick.
56 19th house in stock brick with gables plus fretted barge- boards
Adjacent to 56. High Street Infants School. Set up in 1845 by Miss Martin of Woodlands. The architect was H.E. Kendall who designed a schoolroom and a master’s house in an ornamental half-timbered style. Control lay with the rector until 1899, when it went under the same management as the National School. In 1960 the pupils moved to the National School building and then to St. John's school in Green Lane. The original building was then demolished,
60 The Cott. 1839 with alterations in 1907 by E.H. Appleton. It has mock timber framing, white render and fish scale roof tiles
73 18th houses with a Venetian window and over the door a keystone carved with a bearded face. It is featured in Richardson and Eberlein’s “The Smaller English House of the Later Renaissance 1660-1830” as a particularly good example. It was once the police station with basement cells– the iron bars on the windows are still visible. . It was called Robin Hill in the 1930s and Loscombe Lodge in 1899, when for two years it was the home of Edward Wilson when he was studying as a doctor in Stanmore. He was then junior surgeon and zoologist on the Discovery with Captain Scott. He died during the expedition and Cape Wilson in Antarctica is named after him.
75-81 late 19th houses in mirrored pairs. They have timber casement windows.
78 Abercorn Arms. Named after the Marquis of Abercorn who owned Bentley Priory Estate in 1788. It was temporarily renamed the Royal hotel by 1865. It is a three-storeyed building of 1800 in red brick, with a veranda along the end facing the road and a 20th extension. It was here that the Prince Regent met the King of Prussia and Louis XVIII of France in 1814, at the end of Louis’ years of exile. Louis was returning to France and there was a procession through the town
Signpost outside the Abercorn Arms.
K6 telephone box outside the pub
83-85 the former Post Office with a modern shop front.
97 a shop front in front of a two storey white rendered building
99 smithy converted to a car repair workshop. Inside are mid-19th fittings. It has a cast iron front window with rosettes decoration.
103-107 a late 19th composition in red brick with an octagonal corner turret. It has a 19th shop front and hanging sign.
111 Early 19th building with a modern shop front. It was formerly an abattoir
113 Early 19th building with a shop front and entrance on the corner. There is timber-cladding on the first floor plus gothic windows
129 a 19th house in Gothic style with timber and render.
BP filling station on the site of Woodlands, owned from 1885 by Lord Halsbury, Lord Chancellor
Load of Hay pub at the top of the road. It was made up of three former cottages in 1868. 1938.
Black Horse pub listed in 1851,
King's Head, formerly the Three Pigeons, stood in 1730
National School.  Founded before 1826 when it joined the National Society. It was supported by voluntary contributions and had 60 pupils in 1833. A new building was opened in 1861 consisting of boys' and girls' school rooms and teacher’s house. By 1906 it could take 488 children although there were actually far less. In 1960, the juniors moved to St. John's school and the infants in 1964 by which time a new school had been built. The old school was demolished.
Ravendene.   19th house which has been divided and facing Stangate Gardens
Workhouse on the east side of Stanmore Hill from 1788 plus a separate schoolhouse from 1826. It was built by Messrs Grove and Fitch and there was also a cage for imprisoning wrongdoers. It was closed by 1865
Stanmore Recreation ground
Stanmore Library

Stanmore Park
Stanmore Park, excavations undertaken have revealed a smaller building, dating to the early 18th which became part of a larger house, built in the 1760s, for the banker Andrew Drummond. Drummond began to acquire kind in Stanmore after the Duke of Chandos opened an account at his Charing Cross bank. Drummond is thought to have had a Palladian mansion built in 1763 on his estate designed by architect John Vardy on the site of the earlier building. It was completed by William Chambers after Vardy's death and later altered by Henry Holland in 1786/7. In 1816, it was the home of the Countess of Aylesford as Drummond's tenant.  The mansion stood in extensive grounds, which extended to Belmont to the south and Boot pond to the north. The parkland was reputedly laid out for Andrew Drummond by 'Capability' Brown and later Repton. Old Church farm formed part of the area and this was bought by the Marquis of Abercorn, as the Stanmore Park estate, in 1839. Abercorn, sold the Stanmore mansion in 1848to George Carr Glyn, later Lord Wolverton a partner in Glyn, Mills & Co. The house, after some 50 years as a boys' preparatory school belonging to Herbert Kemball Cook which came here from Brighton and in 1937 merged with Stratton School in Brickendon. It was the sold to the air ministry and the mansion was demolished in 1938 to make way for RAF Stanmore. Many trees, including oaks, elms, birch and the very rare willow-leaved oak, upwards of 200 years old, were uprooted.
Swimming pool - During the period as a school an earlier fish pond became an outdoor swimming pool.
RAF Stanmore Park was opened in 1939 and closed in 1997. In 1939 Balloon command was established here. Some buildings remain in community use.

Tudor Well Close
The Tudor well cover, from which Tudor Well Close gets its name, is thought to have been moved from the grounds of the original Manor House

Uxbridge Road
Uxbridge Road was previously called Colliers Lane but it was a 'new' road in 1800. The Stanburn flowed through a culvert
1 Church Lodge. Holland Lodge sited in the churchyard. It is a 19th building with fish scale tile roof, ornate ceramic panels and it has exposed timber framing. On the barge boards is a crest and the motto ‘Vincit Qui Se Vincit’ over the central window is 'Erected in Loving Memory of Robert Holland by Ellen Julia his widow 1881 B. Binyon architect'. Behind is a red brick range with a gateway to a small yard. It was designed in 1881 by Brightwen Binyon an Ipswich architect. Hollond was an MP and balloonist.
Entrance piers to Stanmore Park. 19th Stone decorative frieze. They are an attractive reminder of the scale and grandeur of the house that once stood there
Fingerpost sign of a type introduced in the 1920s

British History, Stanmore. Web site
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Clunn.  Face of London
London Borough of Harrow. Web site.
London Encyclopaedia
London Gardens Online web site
Middlesex County Council. History of Middlesex
Nairn, Nairn’s’ London
Pevsner and Cherry. North West London
Pubs Galore web site
Stanmore Tennis Club. Web site
Stevenson. Middlesex
St.John’s church, Stanmore. Web site
Walford.  Village London

Thursday, 18 October 2012

Edgware Brook Bentley Priory

Edgware Brook
The Edgware Brook rises in this area and flows east and south
TQ 15780 92321

Large area of open parkland on the site of the southern part of the Bentley Priory Estate with a lake, and other facilities.  Some housing to the south - laid out with lots of space, lawns and so on.

Post to the north Bentley Priory
Post to the east Great Stanmore
Post to the west Grimsdyke

Bentley Priory Nature Reserve
The nine acre nature reserve was established in 1975.  The area slopes southwards from the edge of the Stanmore Hill ridge. The lower part is London clay but in the north this is overlaid by the pebbly Claygate beds and further north with gravel – which supports heathland vegetation like gorse. It is here that springs emerge and form streams as they meet the clay.
Grassland.  The name Bentley is thought to derive from Anglo-Saxon words meaning coarse grass on cleared ground. Traditional grassland is still a feature of the reserve. It is “unimproved” and thus has many wild flowers. A herd of cows is pastured here in summer
Summerhouse Lake. The lake was formed by damming Edgeware Brook during Queen Adelaide’s time at Bentley Priory. It was named for Queen Adelaide’s lakeside gazebo. The summerhouse itself was burnt down by vandals, but it is said that it was where Sir Walter Scott wrote 'Marmion' in 1808.  There are substantial remains of 19th ornamental planting around the lake with laurel, yew and  rhododendron
Heriot’s Wood. This is ancient woodland. Many of the trees are hornbeam, which is characteristic of ancient woods. There are also vestiges of ornamental planting - cedars, a yew, and patches of laurel.
Oak.  To the west of Summerhouse Lake is the “Master”, an oak at least 500 years old and pollarded about 200 years ago. As a pollard it shows that much of the area was once pasture. It is said to be the oldest oak tree in Middlesex, with a trunk 9m in circumference.
Spring Meadow. This is a breeding area for many summer birds. Many other relatively uncommon birds can be seen here including buzzard, spotted flycatcher and bullfinch. In winter, large numbers arrive from mainland Europe and Scandinavia.
Footpath. The southern boundary is marked by a footpath which separates Bentley Wood High School from the reserve. On the north side of it are the remains of a linear earthwork consisting of a bank and ditch, possibly part of a medieval deer park boundary
Hermitage Cottages

Binyon Crescent
Bede Anandappa Centre. Previously this was the Woodlands Community Centre, renamed after Bede Anandappa treasurer of the Harrow Federation of Tenants' and Residents' Associations who died suddenly.
Bede Anandappa’s tree.

Clamp hill
Woodland Hall Nursing Home;
47 Hermitage Gate. Listed house. Originally a gate house of Bentley Priory
58 Brickfield Cottage. Listed house
Lower Priory Farm. Riding School
Priory House. Priory House. This is a 16th timbered farmhouse, using old materials from a medieval priory and may be standing on or near the site of the earlier building. 17th garden wall Priory. The original Priory was a cell Augustinian Friars believed to have been founded in 1170 by Ranulf de Glanville, a lawyer and Chief Justiciary of England. It has been thought that this was in the area of Priory House with the chapel standing on Harrow Weald Common surrounded by a small hamlet.  There are very few recorded references to it. Eventually in in 1766 the property was sold to James Duberley, an Army contractor who is thought to have pulled down the original Priory building

Masefield Avenue
Bentley Wood High School for Girls

Bentley Wood High School. Web site
Bentley Priory. Wikipedia web site
Harrow Tenants. Web site
Harrow Weald Heritage Trust web site
London Gardens.  On line web site
Middlesex County Council.  History of Middlesex
Smyth, Citywildspace
Walford, Village  London,