Dean's Brook - Edgware
Deans Brook flows south and is met by a tributary from the north west. The Edgwarebury Brook flows through the area south eastwards towards Deans Brook
Suburban area - with several synagogues and private schools
Holland House School. A private ‘preparatory’ school set up in 1974 when a group of parents bought the school and formed a Trust. Since then it has been rebuilt and refurbished.
The line of this road from Penshurst Road running south is the line of the Edgwarebury Brook flowing towards Deans Brook. It then turns north west where it then runs along the west side of Deans Brook.
This lane is on the line of the never built Northern Line Extension. As distinct from the surrounding area, it has post war houses and bungalows.
Edgware Way (Watford Way)
Completed in 1927 and an enormous amount of suburban housing followed after its construction
The Edgwarebury Brook crosses the road and there is a bridge structure – the brook going under someone’s garden path
Kings Parade. Art Deco shops
The Edgwarebury Brook cross Glendale Avenue and disappears under houses.
The Edgwarebury Brook crosses the road alongside the library – there is a bridge structure on the road opposite the library
Posh houses were built from the 1890s onwards. There was an expansion of the shopping area from the station from 1910 to 1925.
Library. Built in 1960 by Hendon Borough architect, B. Bancroft, Chief Assistant Architect. It is L-shaped with light interiors
Bank, Now HSBC built for the National Provincial in 1928
Edgware Adath Yisroel Congregation, This was Saint James's United Reformed Church. This was founded in 1933 as a Presbyterian Church of England. The church hall was opened in 1933 but it was not until 1948 that a transept and new church hall were added and eventually an extension of the vestry block. The foundation stone was laid in 1950. It was united with Watling Church and Union Church, to become Trinity United Reformed Church in 2001 and moved from this site. It is now owned by the Edgware Adath Yisroel Congregation, and has two synagogue prayer halls, nursery/function hall, and other facilities
Houses and garages at the northern end cover the route of the never built Northern Line extension to Elstree
Rosh Pinar Primary School. In 1931 a Hebrew teacher was appointed and Rosh Pinah School was established by him. The school expanded and in due course the main school has moved from this site, leaving only the nursery here in the original building.
Edgware United Synagogue. Among the first Jews who moved into Edgware in 1927 were the Barnett family who searched for other orthodox Jews in the area. As a result, the Edgware Hebrew Congregation was started. The community grew and in 1934, aided by a gift of land in Mowbray Road from a local property developer, a synagogue was built and consecrated in 1934 but moved in 1957.
Edgware United Synagogue. The community moved her in 1957 from Mowbray Road. There is a team of volunteers called Edgware Community Cares, there is a Ladies Guild, and Reading and Craft circles. There are also a Jewish Lads Brigade, Brownies and Guides, Scouts, Maccabi and BBYO.
Selection of posh and boring inter war housing
The road is crossed by the Edgwarebury Brook near its junction with Station Road and by another tributary to Deans Brook north of the junction with St.Margarets Road
This was in the village of Lower Hale in the 18th
Convent of St.Mary at the Cross. Benedictine Community of Sisters of the Poor – they are however an Anglican order until 1931 known as the Convent of St. Mary of Nazareth. This was originally founded as a convent and hospital in Shoreditch in 1865 by the Rev. H. D. Nihill. The sisters moved here in 1873 and became the centre when Shoreditch closed in 1931. Impressive buildings, by James Brooks. The priory grounds were built up with private housing in the early 1990s – most of it with the sort of half-timbering which infests the surrounding area built in the 1930s. It appears that the remaining buildings are being/been sold off. There are now only a handful of nuns here but the convent is also home to nuns from Ethiopia (Coptic) and Zimbabwe.
Residential block of 1874. Gothic, in brick with bold chimneys, linked by a cloister built in 1893 to a chapel.
Chapel – this was intended as the Lady Chapel of a larger abbey church and the beginnings of stone wall arcading remain. An addition for lay use was added in 1965-6 by Norman Davey
Hospital blocks and isolation unit, built 1937-41 by Collcutt & Hamp. This became a home for sick and incurable children, who were taken in up to the age of 18 and then kept for life if they had no other home.
Mortuary chapel with stained glass and tiles from the Shoreditch convent.
Henry Nihill House for the Elderly Built in 1990-2. 1990-2, by Woods & Hardwick of Bedford. This is a range with an upper floor linked by a glazed bridge to the chapel.
The never built extension to the Northern Line to Elstree would have been severed the road and a footbridge would have linked the two sides. There are post-war houses adjacent to, and facing Shelley Close that show where the line was planned to go.
Part of Rectory Lane is a bridge over what was to be the Northern Line extension to Elstree
St.Margaret’s Parish Hall. Now in use by the Fountain Montessori preschool plus other events.
Scout and Guide Centre
Friends Meeting House. This was built with money raised by local Quakers during the 1960s. The building is on the site of a filled in cutting built for the never finished Elstree extension
Friends Meeting house car park. This has a wall and notice board. This is thought to be traces of work done for the never finished Northern Line extension to Elstree
This lane is on the line of the never built Northern Line Extension
The extension of the Northern Line to Elstree would have passed under the road here from the station, there is said to be space under shops built for the tunnel now used as cellars by them
The Edge of Town. Pub
This is on the intended route of the never built Northern Line extension to Elstree,
This is the line of the Edgwarebury Brook flowing towards Deans Brook
59a The Drive Tennis Club. 8 tennis courts behind the houses. The club was founded in 1925
Diamond Geezer website
Edgware Abbey website
Edgware Adath Yisroel Congregation web site
Edgware United Synagogue web site
Field. London Place Names
London Railway Record
NW London Quaker web site
Pevsner and Cherry. London North
The Drive. Web site.