Thames Tributary - Bourne and other tributaries to the Ravensbourne - Hayes

Thames Tributary Ravensbourne
A tributary to the Ravensbourne runs down the west side of Brook Wood to join the river in Norman Park.
The Bourne stream runs west of Hayes flowing north.

Post to the west Hayes
Post to the north Hayesford
Post to the east Bromley Common

Baston Road
Post Office

Bourne Vale
Roughly follows the line of the Bourne Stream and clearly named to follow the route of The Bourne
Flats by Building Design Partnership

George Lane
Hayes Primary School

The name means ‘village on the heath covered in brushwood’. First mentioned in 1177. ‘Roman remains
War memorial. Designed by Sir Reginald Bloomfield and unveiled on New Year’s Day 1921 by Major General A. G. Dallas C.B., C.M.G. and was dedicated by the Bishop of Rochester. The memorial cost £329.10/6d.
Malcolm Campbell built an early aeroplane locally

Hayes Street
St.Mary the Virgin. On the site of a Roman building. This is of Flint and a Norman building built in 1177. Through the Hambro connection it was restored by Sir G. G. Scott c. 1858-62, which included a new aisle and transept but have left old walling in the chancel. Inside the tower blocked 13th arches suggest there may have been an open ground storey Scott the father provided striking plate tracery of his own invention; his son, twenty years later, replicated the Perpendicular windows he was removing. Reredos 1905 probably designed by Sir T. G Jackson. There is progressive dulling of colour in Victorian glass. Monuments: Brasses of priests: John Osteler, c.1460, half demi-figure, John Andrew f 1479, John Heygge f 1523; cartouche to Ann Cleaver f 1737. Font is 12th century, 1370. Plaque to Pitt the Younger. The church was damaged as the result of V2 attack on 9th February 1945
Hayes Village Hall, damaged as the result of V2 attack on 9th February 1945
The George. Pub. Damaged as the result of V2 attack on 9th February 1945. Former coaching inn.
Hayes Street Farm. Pick your own and boot sales

Hayes Place
Between 1754-1785 this was the home of a leading political family. The younger William Pitt, PM. born here and Hester Stanhope lived here. The elder Pitt, also Prime minster, Earl of Chatham died there. The house was demolished in 1933 and the site redeveloped, but roads in the area are named after them. It was sold in the 1930s to banker Eric Hambro and then demolished in 1933 for building by Sheffield builder Henry Boot who then built the Hayes Place Estate.

Refers to the area of the Bourne stream

Pickhurst Lane
The Knoll, sloping site with lake and specimen forest trees
Gardens. Is this the site of the gravel pit? Gravel pit. Gravel which shows the direction of the old stream and old river basin, many flints and fossils and old bones in the area

Pitsmead Avenue
One of several local road names relating to the Pitt family

Refers to the area of the Bourne stream

Station Approach
Odeon cinema. Opened in 1936 by GCT, as the 'Rex' on a site originally earmarked for the railway station. Designed by Cecil Massey, architect of the Granada in Tooting, the Rex was a strange mixture of styles; Queen Anne and Moorish.
New Inn. At the edge of Hayes Common, and a Davenports Brewery House. They came from Birmingham. It had every refinement of the time, including a Ballroom. Although modern, it was built to an old-fashioned design. There were cloakrooms, dining rooms and a separate kitchen. It is now a Harvester.


Popular posts from this blog

South Norwood

Bromley by Bow

River Lea/Bow Creek Canning Town