Riverside, south bank west of the Tower. Putney High Street
This post shows sites south of the river only. North of the river is Fulham riverside
Post to the east Wandsworth
Post to the west Putney Boathouses
Post to the south East Putney
Brandlehow Primary School. A progressive period building piece of 1951 by E. Gold finger with an extension of 2006 by Franzika Wagner. A listed caretaker’s cottage was demolished illegally by developers. This building replaced a London School Board school of 1901 which had been bombed.
The main landing place for ferry passengers was at the northern end of the lane which thus provided one of the principal routes into the village.
Brewhouse. Martin the Brewer is recorded as the third-largest taxpayer in 1332, He is thought to have had a brewhouse to the east of the lane. This is thought to have still existed in the 18th
Boathouse Pub and Riverview Restaurant. Young’s Pub. The Boathouse replaces the Castle which was on the corner with Putney Bridge Road. The Boathouse building was formerly Douglas Wharf, premises of William Douglas & Sons (refrigeration machinery). It was actually three wharf side buldings, probably 1860s-1870s, with a railway line at the rear running to a timber yard. A crane remains as a decorative item.
Sculpture. Punch and Judy by Alan Thornhill
Rocket. Wetherspoon’s Pub built into the Putney Wharf Tower.
Blue Plaque to the birthplace of Thomas Cromwell, Henry VIII’s minister, thought to have been born in this area.
Gothic Villa. This replaced a 15th building called Church House. In 1828 John Young rebuilt it naming it Gothic Villa.
Putney Wharf Tower. This was built in the 1960s for International Computers Ltd. It was reclad in 2003 and redeveloped as flats. ICL - by then ICT moved to Bracknell in the 1980s
War memorial re-located here.
The road was previously called Ranelagh Road
The eastern arm of this U shaped road runs down the line of the old parish boundary, which itself follows a small stream called the Putney Gutter.
The northern side of the road is housing which backs on to the river. These are on a site developed in 1753 by Joshua Vanneck with a large house called The Cedars which from 1839 was the Putney College for Civil Engineers. In 1853 this was replaced by posh terraced housing. They were replaced in the 1890s with the present middle class detached and semi detached housing.
Rail bridge with decorative abutments built 1887-9. The London and South West Railway extension to Wimbledon was built from 1887. The railway company were required, as an amenity, to provide the footpath that runs along the east side of the bridge via a stone Stair case from the road.
57 St.Mary’s Vicarage
Riverdale. Built around 1857-8. In the 1920s used by the Hoyt Metal Company. It is now flats.
Hoyt Metal Co. This foundry specialised in white metal alloys used for smooth bearing linings, in ship axle bearings, also, for instance, helicopter rotor spindle bearings. They also made testing equipment and instruments. The works was at the back of Riverdale which was their office block.
57 Library. The old library was built in 1899, and the architect was Francis Smith. It was paid for by George Newnes and the balcony has an inscription saying "NEWNES PUBLIC LIBRARY". Putney’s first public library opened in 1887 further along Disraeli Road. In 1898 the commissioners were offered a donation of £8000 by newspaper editor and MP George Newnes. The new library it had separate ladies’ and gentlemen’s reading rooms and a flat for the librarian on the top floor. In the Second World War the basement was used as a civil defence post and steel girders fitted to protect the room are still visible, as is ventilation equipment. The entrance doors lead to a long corridor with vaulted domed plaster roof, this leads to what was originally the reading room which is now part of the main library. In 1977 an extension was built to house a Children’s Library and Music Library and in 1986 Wandsworth Museum opened in the old committee rooms and the upper floors. In 1996 the Museum moved and the 1977 extension was demolished and a new extension built. This is now the public part of the library so that most of the original library is used for offices and storage. It has a simple modern design using stone and large glass walls.
Leonine Picture Gallery. Has been used in the past by a garage company and as a workshop
Rail Bridge. The District Line passes over in a distinctive metal box bridge.
Steps down to what were public toilets, now closed
Watermans Green -green space adjacent to the river
The flank wall fronting Waterman's Green hides vaults under the road that connect with 4-6 High Street.
Iron lamp standards. These have replacement lanterns but the original bases remain.
Rail Bridge. The District Line passes over in a distinctive metal box bridge.
Hippodrome. This opened in 1906 as variety theatre, designed by W Hingston. It showed films from 1924 and was taken over by United Picture Theatres in 1928, becoming Gaumont British Cinemas in 1930. Associated British Cinemas took over in 1935 and then an independent in 1938. It closed in1940 and was taken over by Odeon Theatres who re-opened it on 1941. It closed in 1961 and remained unused for ten years. It was used as a film location during the 1970s. It was demolished in 1975 and flats have now replaced it
This was previously called Coopers Arms Lane
Lower Richmond Road
Putney School of Art. This was founded by Sir William Lancaster, Baron Pollock and Sir Arthur Jeff in 1883.
Putney Bridge Road,
Was called Love Lane or Wandsworth Lane
120 Church Hall. This was on the corner with Deodar Road. In the 1980 it became a small private TV studio, Lotus Studios. Later it was the London Theatre School specialising in dance. Later registered office for Hurlingham School
122 Hurlingham School. This small private school dates back to 1947, when it was known as “Miss Rosemary Whitehead’s Kindergarten class”: It began in Fulham High Street and Deodar Road and is now run by the Goulden family.
St Stephens Mission church. This was on the corner with Fawe P Park Road. It had been set up by. Saint Stephen's Church, Manfred Road, Wandsworth. It included a church hall.
Sir Abraham Dawes Almshouses. Dawes was a collector of customs who lived in Putney from 1620 until his death in 1640. He provided almshouses for '12 poor indigent decayed and decrepit almsmen and almswomen'. They were replaced by the present buildings in 1861. They are still in use.
289 Park Lodge. This house is dated at late 17th or early 18th. Lewis Carroll said to have stayed there. The oldest part of the house is a timber and brick building constructed in red and brown brick using an interesting mix of bonds that includes Flemish and English Cross. It has been painted. The building looks mid 19th century with Tudor arched heads to the windows.
Putney Baths. These opened 1886 as a privately owned facility. William Bishop had leased a plot previously the site of Cromwell House thought to have been the home of Cromwell. Bishop was a shareholder in the Wandsworth Lime and Cement Company Ltd. He built baths on the corner with Burstock Road, designed by Lee Bros which opened in 1886. The front elevation included shops on either side. The main entrance led to rooms used for art classes and evening events. It was called Cromwell Hall. There were private baths on the first floor with hot and cold running water and separate entrances for ladies and gentlemen. There was a large swimming bath open on Ladies’ Days and Gentlemens’ Days. There were 67 changing rooms and a spectator’s gallery as well as a cafe, Turkish baths and a Shampooing Room. However the baths were permanently floored over and the area was used for concerts and events. Later the building became a furniture depository, and then a linen draper’s warehouse. After the Second World War it became was a Polish University College and In 1955 Battersea Polytechnic used it as their Mechanical Engineering Department. It was demolished around 1990.
Railway Arches. Used as a trading estate
Watermen’s Schools. Southfield House. This was a school for the children of watermen founded in 1684 by Thomas Martyn, after he was rescued from drowning in the river. It was demolished to make way for the railway in 1887. The school moved to new premises, but closed in 1911
220 Castle Pub. This was on the corner with Brewhouse Lane. Tithe original building was demolished in the 1930s and replaced. The building was destroyed by Second World War bombing when 42 people were killed. The pub was replaced with a hut, and then rebuilt in 1959. This building was 2003 and replaced by the Boathouse pub.
231 Normanby Pub. This was previously the Cedar Tree
Mirror Electric Theatre. Corner Brewhouse Lane. The Mirror Electric Theatre opened in 1914 replacing the Queens Head. In 1915, it was re-named Electric Pavilion Picture House. It was equipped with a church type straight organ. It was closed during World War I
Queens Head. 18th pub demolished in 1914
Putney Bridge. This was the second bridge on the Thames to be built after London Bridge. The first Putney Bridge was built in 1729 of wood from an idea by a surgeon called Cheseldon and designed by Jacob Acworth working with Thomas Phillips, the King's carpenter. A toll bridge, it had tollbooths at either end of the timber-built structure. There was also an aqueduct. The Metropolitan Board of Works purchased the bridge in 1879, discontinued the tolls in 1880, and set about its replacement
The current bridge dates from 1884, and designed by Bazalgette. the bridge integrates two of his five outfall sewers running perpendicular to it was constructed by John Waddell and was opened by the Prince and Princess of Wales in 1886. It was built on a new alignment. In Cornish granite it has mass concrete foundations and five segmental arches either side of central span, this was widened on the downstream side in 1933 and again in 1954 by the London County Council. The bridge has been the starting point for The University Boat Race since 1845 as well as the Wingfield Sculls and the Head of the River Race. Lighting is with original style lanterns.
Ferry. The Putney ferry terminus was in Brew house Lane. It is the name of a Morris Dance.
Putney High Street
St Mary the Virgin. The parish church on the riverside. The church was originally a chapel-of-ease to Wimbledon and there has been a church here since the 13th. In the 17th it was used Council of War held by Cromwell, Fairfax, Fleetwood, Ireton, and Rich. The New Model Army, held the Putney Debates here. They discussed political ideas embodied in the 'Agreement of the People', including the idea of one man - one vote, essentially a debate on the English Constitution. The church tower survives from a 15th rebuilding since restored. The rest was rebuilt by E. Lapidge in 1836 and again by Ronald Sims in 1982, after a fire in 1973. The main survival is the 16th chantry chapel of Bishop West. Set against and dwarfed by office blocks and glass building sphere is a striking contrast in architectural styles. In 2005 a new extension to the church, the "Brewer Building", was opened as a community space
Boundary walls. In 1836 there was a tall brick wall curving up to stone piers with cast iron gates which surrounded a small burial ground in front of the church. This was replaced by the current railings and low wall in 1884/5. The original octagonal stone piers from the earlier boundary survive though the lanterns are now missingPutney Bridge Bus Depot. Built for the National Steam Car Co. in 1913 but closed in 1919 when they stopped operations. It was reopened by LGOC in 1920. Eventually closed in 1958. Replaced by housing.
Hamilton Court. This 1990s block of flats is in the space of the rear courtyard behind Richmond Mansions and 2-12 Putney High Street. It replaced a stable block of built in 1888-9. horses were stabled on the first floor, access being via a ramp from ground floor level. 1 Rose and Crown. This as next to St Mary's Church and was open in 1786. It Closed due to 'nuisance' in 1887. It was demolished in the late 19th
14 Walkabout Pub. This was originally the the White Lion. 18th pub. Later called the Slug and Lettuce. In other use but the access arch to rear stables remains. It was built in 1887. The 'French Pavilion" roof has iron cresting and twin weather vanes. There is a date plaque and a stone white lion, and two ladies holding up the balconies
23 James Dallett, This works made posh soap and candles in the 19th. They were between the High Street and Brewhouse Lane near the church.
25 Odeon Cinema. This was opened by Associated British Cinemas as a replacement for the Odeon and the adjacent ABC cinemas which were both closed in 1971 and demolished in 1972. It opened in 1975 and was re-named Cannon from 1986, MGM from 1990, ABC (again) and most recently Odeon.
25 ABC Regal Cinema. This was built and operated by Associated British Cinemas. It was in an Art Deco style by their in-house architect William R. Glen. It opened in and had with a Compton 3Manual/6Ranks theatre organ, with Melotone attachment and an illuminated console. It was opened by organist Charles Smart. The cinema was re-named ABC in 1961 and closed on 1971.
46-48 Whistle and Flute Pub. Made up from a small parade of shops
48 Bull and Star. This was on the corner of Felsham Road. Originally built in the early 18th century, it was rebuilt late 19th century and demolished in 1971.
64 The Coopers Arms. This was on the corner with what is now known as Lacy Road. It was here by the mid 17th, when the landlord was also a cooper. It closed in.1905 and demolished at the end of the 20th
66 Brandon’s Putney Brewery. This was founded in 1800 as A J Brandon & Co and became Brandon’s Putney Brewery Ltd in 1896. Brandon’s, were taken over by Mann, Crossman & Paulin in 1920 at which time they had 76 pubs and continued independently until 1949.
110 Spotted Horse. Pub built onto an old cottage site open at least since the mid 19th. Little model horse over the door.
146-148 Bills Pub. Replace a pub called the Slug and Lettuce
Putney Station. This lies between Barnes and Wandsworth Town on South Western Trains. The railway opened here 1846 with the opening of the Richmond line. A small station was built to the east of Putney High Street but was replaced in 1886 by the present station, when the line was widened to four tracks.
Dawes House. This was on the site of the present Putney Station. It has been built in 1634-36 for Sir Abraham Dawes.
Railway hotel. This 19th hotel was on the corner of Richmond Road
Wandsworth Park. This was formerly North Field and allotments. It was purchased in 1898 by the London County Council together with Wandsworth District Board, and by public subscription. It was designed and laid out under Lt Col John James Sexby. There is a large playing field in the surrounded by an oval path. There is an avenue of trees form the northern edge along the river. It was opened in 1903.
Fairfax House, This stood on the site of this street and had been built in the 1630s by Henry White, a baker and landowner.
Baptist Chapel. This is in stock brick in a Romanesque style designed by Johnson. Now The Community Church is began in 1877, with a group of twenty being sent from the Metropolitan Tabernacle, Charles Spurgeon’s centre. The church building was constructed in the 1880s.
Brandlehow School. Web site
British History. Online. Putney
Cinema Theatre Association Newsletter
Cinema Treasures. Web site
Closed Pubs. Web site
Greater London Council. Thames Guidelines
London Borough of Wandsworth. Web site
London Footprints. Web site
London SW15. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. South London