Post to the east Wandsworth
Post to the north Putney riverside
Cromer Villas Road
Southfields Lawn Tennis Club. Founded in 1884.
St Stephens. The original church was built in 1881 designed by Lee Bros. & Pain. It was a large church in brick with a slate roof. There was a single bell. It was closed in 1974, redundant and demolished in 1979. Part of the site was sold and a new church built on the remainder in 1980 known as Wandsworth, St Stephen.
Point Pleasant Junction.
This junction is formed when the line from East Putney Station diverges east onto a line built in 1886 by the District Railway as a double track line from their river crossing to a junction with the Windsor Lines. This was reduced to single track in the 1980s. It is also used by a line from Wimbledon to Wandsworth Town by South Western Railway for empty stock movements and occasional service train diversions, as well as some early morning trains to and from Waterloo for train crew. Until 1990, the eastbound tracks crossed over the tracks of the Clapham Junction line via a bridge north of this to East Putney and then ran parallel with the main line on a viaduct for some distance before merging with the tracks at Point Pleasant junction to the east of Putney Bridge Road. This link is no longer used and the main deck of the viaduct has been removed
Ashcroft Technology Academy. This is a secondary school which includes a sixth form and an Autism Resource Centre. It Hs had millions pounds spent on it. It is named after its sponsor, Lord Ashcroft and is a registered charity called Prospect Education (Technology) Trust Limited. Previously it was ADT College established in 1991 as a City Technology College, funded by donations from ADT Security Services whose owner at the time was one Michael Ashcroft), In 2007, the school was converted into an ‘academy’. Before all this it was Mayfield School, an all-girl's comprehensive. This was built in 1956 by Powell and Moya. It was seen as a reaction against large and intimidating buildings. There are also the remains of Wandsworth County Secondary School which had opened in, West Hill in 1907 and moved here in 1910
Whitelands College. Until the 1990s this was college was on a site roughly opposite the entrance to Cromer Villas Road. The College had been founded by The Church of England’s National Society in 1841. Originally it was at Whitelands House, in Chelsea as a women’s teacher training college. In 1930 they moved here to a new college designed by Giles Gilbert Scott. By the early 1960s there was an increasing demand for wider access to tertiary education and Whitelands helped expand the numbers of teachers in training. Student numbers rose and men were admitted from the mid-fifties. Because of cuts in training by Thatcher the College entered into an academic federation with three other south-west London teacher training colleges to form the Roehampton Institute of Higher Education. In 2000 it became the University of Surrey, Roehampton and in 2004 was awarded independent University status. Whitelands College moved to new premises in 2005 in Roehampton. The Sutherland Grove premises were sold for housing as Whitelands Park estate and developed in a contemporary style. The main college building and chapel, by Giles Gilbert Scott, were preserved as the estate's central feature.
Whitelands College. Built in 1928-30 by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott reinforced concrete clad in hand-made red brick. It is composed of a block plan, integrating teaching and living accommodation in one building.
Forest Lodge. This was a house built for 1862-65 for Joseph Gurney a shorthand writer to the Houses of Parliament in Italianate style.
Lodge, walls and piers designed 1928-30 by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott. The wrought iron gates are partly 18th brought from Old Whitelands College, Chelsea. The lodge is clad in hand made red brick.
Chapel. Built 1928-30 by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott. This is in red brick. Originally with a Burne Jones stained glass windows and a William Morris reredos.
Upper Richmond Road
This is part of the South Circular Road A205
Free church. This was present before 1920.
76-78 Wandsworth county court
East Putney Station. Opened in 1889 it lies between Putney Bridge and Southfields Stations on the District Line branch to Wimbledon. It was opened by the District Railway on an extension from Putney Bridge built by the London and South Western Railway which ran its trains over the line via a loop which joins Clapham Junction to Barnes. Passenger services between Waterloo and Wimbledon ran through East Putney but were ended in 1941, but the line remained in British Rail ownership until 1994 when London Underground bought it for £1. The junction between the District line tracks and what is now the National Rail loop from Point Pleasant to the main line is south of the station. In the station itself are two pairs of tracks - one for each operator – so there is a Y-shaped layout with a shared central island platform and two separate platforms. The street-level station entrance is between the two arms of the Y. The National Rail platforms are rarely used neglected and while the connection to the Clapham Junction/ Barnes line remains it is used only to transfer trains to the train care depot at Wimbledon or if there is a blockage elsewhere. Trains run in the early morning for train crews pass through East Putney station on a daily basis, but without stopping and There are very infrequent movements of Network Rail engineering trains and light engine movements through the station as well. The District line runs south from the Station on a curve because it was originally intended to build a line to Kingston through a tunnel under Putney Heath but this was never built. Buildings on the east side of the station were closed and demolished in 1959 along with the subway. These included a milk depot and an Electrical engineering works
94-98 East Putney Tavern. Opened 2017.
138 Prince of Wales. Large pub decorated with old beer signs and tankards. Dates from the 1870s.
170 Brazilian Naval Commission in Europe. An Executive Branch of the Brazilian Government. Within the United Kingdom it is a department of the Brazilian Embassy.
65 British Legion Club. Social and drinking club for ex-service personnel
63 Putney Club. This was a working men’s club. It now includes a dance studio.
8-20 this was once offices for the Ministry of Pensions. Now rebuilt as housing
This is the A3 road, the London to Portsmouth Road, beginning at the Bank of England. Here it leaves he south circular road to turn south west.
Royal Hospital for Neuro-Disability. This was originally The Hospital for Incurables founded in 1854 following a public meeting at the Mansion House, chaired by the Lord Mayor of London. Its founder was Revd Dr Andrew Reed who was responsible for a number of charitable institutions. He saw a need for middle-class patients with incurable conditions who were not admitted to voluntary hospitals. Paupers went to the workhouse but the better off had nowhere to go. The hospital was originally in Carshalton and later in Putney. In 1863 they moved to Melrose Hall on West Hill – a very large, grand house by W. P. Griffith. This had gardens planned by Brown and improved by Repton and had its own farm. The Hospital was entirely financially dependent on subscriptions and donations. In 1879 the Prince of Wales became its Patron. A new wing - the Great Extension - was opened in 1882 with offices, an Assembly Room, a dining room, a kitchen and a bakery, and a hydraulic lift. In 1903 it was renamed the Royal Hospital for Incurables. In the 1930s the Hospital farm was closed. In 1947 the Hospital appealed against being included in the NHS and remained independent. By the beginning of the 1970s the Hospital was caring for patients suffering from multiple sclerosis, arthritis, Parkinson's disease, congenital spastic paralysis or hemiplegia an gradually more extensions were added A Brain Injury Unit was also opened at the Hospital, the first in the country and in 1987, Vegetative State Unit opened. In 1988 the Hospital became the Royal Hospital and Home, Putney and in 1995it became the Royal Hospital for Neuro-Disability. The Institute of Complex Neuro-Disability opened in 2003 as a research and educational establishment, later renamed the Institute of Neuropalliative Rehabilitation. It continues to be run by a medical charity and continues to expand.
Holy Trinity. This church was built in 1863 by M. K. Hahn to take the increasing poiipation. The spire was added in 1888 by G. Patrick. It is now linked with the parish church of All Saints. When the church was built Otto Goldschmidt, the organist, had founded the Bach Choir and was Vice-President of Royal Academy of Music. In 1889 an organ - was presented by J. D. Charrington of the brewery. It was built by Henry Willis and Sons the leading organ builders. The bells of Holy Trinity are generally considered some of the finest in the area. They were cast and installed in 1926 by Taylor’s of Loughborough,
All Saints and Holy Trinity Church. Web site
Ashfield Academy. Web site
London Borough of Wandsworth. Web site
Lost Hospitals of London. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. Web site
Positively Putney. Web site
Southfields Tennis Club Web site
St.Stephens, Wandsworth. Web site
University of Roehampton. Web site