Great Eastern Railway from Liverpool Street to Shenfield. Great Ilford
The Roding flows southwards and is joined by the Aldersbrook from the west
Great Eastern Railway from Liverpool Street to Ilford - and on to Shenfield
The Great Eastern Railway running north eastwards from Manor Park Station arrives at Ilford and onwards.
Post to the north Valentines
Post to the west Aldersbrook
Post to the south Little Ilford
Post to the east Ilford
St Alban’s Church. A brick Gothic church by J.E.K. and J.P. Cutts. The first church built for Ilford's rapidly growing suburbs between 1892 and 1912, and one of the Bishop of St Alban’s ‘London-over-the-border' churches. It was built in 1906 to replace a temporary building. It contains a hexagonal pulpit from 1700, given by All Souls Oxford in 1949.
52-6 Ilford Islamic Centre and Mosque. It has been on this site since 1977. Built in red brick, with tall arches
Oakfield Lodge. Built 1983 by Redbridge Architects Dept, project architect: Norman Turner. It is a care home originally built for disabled children. Single-storey pavilions, grouped around courts, in brick
2-4 Church of the Latter Day Saints
Part of Ilford Lodge Estate. This 19th area had been part of the Valentines estate. In 1797-8 it was sold separately. In 1882 it was acquired for building by the IIford Land Co. and bought, by James W. Hobbs, a Croydon builder associated with Jabez Balfour – after whom the road is named. When his Liberator Building Society collapsed in 1892, Hobbs was tried for fraud and was sentenced. The IIford Lodge Estate was later sold.
2-4 Wilkinson store. They sell ‘Home Goods’ in a building previously used by Woolworths but built for CandA on the site of the Ilford Super Cinema. It has an angled corner tower faced with fluted panels. .
Ilford Super Cinema was opened in 1922, by Premier Super Cinemas Ltd. and designed by William E. Trent with Val Prince for the inside. It showed film and variety performances. It was taken over by Provincial Cinematograph Theatres in 1924 and by Gaumont British Cinemas in 1929. It had a Compton 3Manual/8Ranks organ and a popular restaurant. In 1945 a V2 damaged the rear of the cinema and the roof collapsed. Two usherettes were killed and the building was unsafe and boarded up. It was finally demolished in 1959.
112 Ilford Muslim Society. This was formed in 1978. Masjid-E-Da'watul Islam, also known as Balfour Road Mosque
Barking Relief Road
This is part of the A406, North Circular Road. The background to it is fairly checkered involving various, since cancelled, ringway plans. This eastern section was part of proposed Ringway 2. This was originally planned as a motorway, the M15, but although it was cancelled part of its route was built in the 1980s as an extension of the A406.
1 I-Scene Leisure Complex. This includes the Cineworld Ilford which opened in 2002.
Telephone Exchange. This was built in 1911 by Edward of H.M. Office of Works.
2 Royal Mail Sorting Office and Post Office
This bypass road is made up of bits of a number of older roads, including Ilford Lane
1 Black Horse. This closed in 2012 and is now a betting shop. The original pub dated from at least the 1870s but this was a post war rebuild.
Ilford Hippodrome. When this was extant it was on Ilford Lane at the corner of High Road – the site is now in Chapel Road and was partly covered by the now defunct Black Horse The Hippodrome opened in 1909 was built for Walter Gibbons chain; London Theatres of Variety Ltd. It had a terra-cotta frontage along Ilford Lane in a Moorish style. Above the entrance was a minaret. Inside the ceiling was said to resemble the Palace of Versailles. It was a playhouse and a variety theatre and able to screen films from the start. In the 1930’s it became part of Metropolitan and Provincial Cinematograph Theatres Ltd. With a Western Electric sound system. Many top artistes of the day appeared here including Max Miller, Flanagan & Allen, Gracie Fields, Vera Lynn, George Formby etc. In 1945 during the Lew Grade produced "Robinson Crusoe" a V2 rocket fell behind theatre, killing 15 and demolished the dressing rooms. The orchestra played on and the audience left. Two days later, the roof collapsed. The ruins were demolished in 1957, after some of the facade fell onto a trolleybus. Offices and shops were later built here.
19-20 Maguire’s Irish Bar
Melcombe Lodge 18th house
Pioneer Market. This stood on the corner of Clements Lane and Ilford Lane. It was a prototype shopping mall, built in the 1920 with a maze of corridors, and individual shops. Said to be art deco but now demolished.
Until 1814 this was part of Green Lane with Potato and onion fields up to the 1840s.
Clements. The Clements estate was developed in the early 19th and in 1847 covered an area from Ilford Lane. A John Clement had been here in 1456. By 1878 the 56- acre estate was mortgaged, and put up for sale. It was mainly built up in the next 20 years. Some was built by Withers of Ilford Hall and some by Cameron Corbett.
Clements Farm. This farm lay roughly on the site of the current leisure centre.
Brickfield. In the early 19th there were several brickfields in this area. One of these belonged to John Scrafton Thompson and was part of the Clements estate.
IScene Leisure Complex is situated on Clements Road, Ilford. The scheme houses an 11 screen Cineworld cinema, restaurants, hotel and a gym
9 Post Office
15 Salvation Army Hall. The Salvation Army had a hall behind High Road by 1887. They were active in the 1890s and about 1901 opened the present hall.
Spiritualist church. In 1903 the Ilford Spiritualists were met in Clock House Hall. Their present church in Clements Road was licensed in 1933 and visited by Conan Doyle. Ilford Spiritualist Church is now in the High Road
Central Library. This was opened in 1986 and was designed by D.J. & H T. Lawrence, Borough Architects. It is an island site with a copper-clad roof. On h stairs is abstract stained glass by Goddard and Gibbs.
Redbridge Museum. This is on the second floor of the library.
Virgin Active Health Club. This has now been taken over by Nuffield.
London Ilford Travelodge
Elim Four Square Tabernacle. This is recorded from 1926. This has more recently been the City Gates Centre and has been demolished.
City Gates Church building. The Church began as a tin shack in the 1930’s ad has since had a building in the High Road. In 2009, planning permission was granted for a new 1,000 seat, Worship Centre. This fell down while under construction in January 2012
Clements Court flats
1-4 Clements Yard, Clements farm cottages demolished in the 1930s for a car park for the Hippodrome. Now part of Clements Court site. They appear to have been part of an older Clements farmhouse converted into four cottages. This building had an oak and hornbeam frame, dating from the 16th. There were indications of Tudor additions to an earlier building.
Ilford Health Centre. Built in 1989 by Avanti Architects on a cruciform plan with steel frame.
Cleveland Road Board School. This was opened in 1896 designed by Charles Dawson. It was originally a county junior and infants' schools. It was the largest erected by the school board and in 1931 It was re-organized for juniors and infants – and it remains as two separate schools.
Ilford Hindu Centre. This was originally the Friends Meeting House of 1908 designed by Charles Dawson. The Ilford Friends' Meeting was formed in 1906 in a temporary building and a permanent meeting house was erected later
Ilford Federation Synagogue. It was founded in 1927 but has now moved to the Gants Hill area, although some commemorative plaques remain on the building.
2-8 Ilford Ursuline Preparatory School. Private Roman Catholic school. This originated in 1889 when two Ursuline Sisters who were teaching locally were asked by the priest at St Peter and St. Paul, for help in establishing a secondary school. In 1903 "Hainault", a house in Cranbrook Road was rented and opened as a school. In 1906 Heathfield, the adjacent house, was bought. In 1936 no.2 was bought to use as a primary school.
6 this was bought during the second world war as a home for the nuns teaching at the school and thus became the Ursuline Convent. There was some bomb damage. These building are now part of the school.
10 this remains as a small Ursuline convent.
Clock Tower - this stood in the 1920s at the bottom of Cranbrook Road on the area known as the Broadway. It had been donated by MP Peter Griggs. It was removed in the 1930s and taken to South Park.
Ilford Station. This now stands with the main entrance in Cranbrook Road – this part of the road was once called Station Road. It was opened in 1839 by the Eastern Counties Railway on what has become the Great Eastern Main Line. It lies between Seven Kings and Manor Park. The line was built from Mile End in 1838 but not opened until works at Romford finished. The main building is thought to date from the 1839 opening. It originally had only two platforms but in 1894 the station was rebuilt with guarantees by developer Corbett, as part of the promotion for the Grange housing estate. From 1903 to 1947 Great Eastern trains also ran from here to Woodford via the Fairlop Loop which was transferred to London Transport and is now part of the Central line. It was rebuilt again in the 1980s. There are five platforms all below street level: two "up" to Liverpool Street and two "down” plus a bay for services starting here. Two other Platforms are disused. The platforms built in the 1890s have distinctive GER ironwork brackets to the awnings. In 1911 a bridge was built across the platforms to facilitate the transfer of milk churns and the bridge was later used for parcels. It was demolished in the 1980s.
28-32 Santander Bank. This is a corner block with a dome, with a great deal of carved decoration of fruit. It was built 1900 with for the National Provincial Bank.
37 Jonos Bar. Free house pub
46 Redeemed Church of God, Embassy of Faith, with shops on the ground floor. This was originally West's department store. It has giant columns and a classical appearance.
45 Lloyds Bank with a curved front Portland Stone by Johnson and Astbury, built in 1932. This appears to be closed
47 Punjab National Bank
51-71 this is the site of Langsett where the Ilford Ltd Photographic business began, as Britannia Works, in 1879 Alfred H. Harman, a professional photographer from Peckham was experimenting with the production of the new gelatino-bromide 'dry' plates. He went to Ilford to manufacture these because of the clean air. He renamed Langsett as 'Britannia Works', and he and his wife began to produce the plates. Later he rented building elsewhere and the Ilford factory and business grew - however the emulsion still prepared with great secrecy at the Britannia Works.
51-71 Burnes furniture store was bought by Chiesmans, who owned a chain of drapery stores. Chiesmans were bought out by the House of Frazer group in 1976.
55-57 East Side Bar
60-64 Fairheads Department Store. Drapers shop which closed in 2008 after trading for 100 years
100 British Heart Foundation shop. This is on the site of a Baptist church opened in 1899 on a site bought eight years earlier by the High Road Baptists, but conveyed to the London Baptist Association. Second World War incendiary bombs damaged the building.
Cranbrook Lodge. This was a large house once known as Cranbrook Cottage. The site had been part of Rayhouse estate until 1806. The house, built before 1835, became Cranbrook College, a private school for boys. The house was demolished in 1923 when new college buildings were put up.
Ursuline Convent School. The school now based in Coventry Road began in two houses here – Hainault and Heathfield – the sites of which are now part of the school.
109-127 Saravana Bhavan in what was previously Yates Wine Lodge
114-116 The Great Spoon of Ilford. This is a Wetherspoon's pub. The name is about the Elizabethan actor, Will Kemp, who danced his way from Norwich to London in 1600. He stopped in Ilford for a 'spoon' of ale.
180 Army Careers Office. This has now closed.
182 Venue 3. This is what was the Cranbrook pub.
Kings Church. This was built as the church hall for St Clements Church and called Cecil Hall. It was built in 1907 and designed by C.J.Dawson. It was laid out with classrooms, games rooms and a first floor hall. It has since become an evangelical church called variously Kings Church and Jubilee Church.
13 Indigo Project. This is a Barnardo’s charity for holiday activity for special needs children. Site of the vicarage for St.Clement’s church.
The road is part of the London to Colchester Road Turnpike of 1721 run by the Middlesex and Essex turnpike Trust. It was pedestrianised in 1987 after the opening of the ring road.
96-98 the Cinema DeLuxe was opened in 1911 and made up of two shops. It closed in around 1926, and went back to being a shop.
Clements Mansion. This stood on the High Street roughly at the west side of the corner with Clements Road.
Methodist church. The (Wesleyan) Methodist church began in 1883. Land was bought in and iron building put up in 1884, followed by a permanent church in 1895 A school hall was later added. In 1959 the members joined with the Ilford Lane Methodist church, and in 1961 moved into a new building in Ilford Lane. The High Road church was demolished. It was on the corner of Clements Road – somewhere round the site of Clements Mansion.
58 Shop built for Burton’s menswear in the early 1930s. It has a grey stone facade and Deco styling of the house. In other use
93 Barclays Bank - this is site of The White Horse pub which closed in 1959
109 site of The Angel. This was a former coaching inn dating from at least the late 18th which closed in the 1980s. The premises became a Burger bar and later a clothes shop. A replacement Angel was built at the back - but that also changed its name.
120 Burton’s store of 1930, streamlined Moderne in white faience,
Ilford Hall. This was on the corner with Hainault Street. It was a 19th house used as a girl’s school by 1898. It was later used by Ilford Urban District Council for meetings and demolished in 1901. The site is now shops.
128-142 Town Hall for the new Ilford Urban District Council. Built in 1899-1901 by Ben Woollard in Bath stone following a competition. With additions done in 1931-3 by L.E.J.Reynolds, with steel frame with Bath stone façade. The building is in two halves – one ceremonial and one for business and all were connected by means of a speaking tube. Inside is an elliptical lobby with curved doors and a monumental stair to the old council chamber and committee rooms. There is also a back staircase with a tiled dado.Council Chamber. This has been redone but much remains. Some seating is said to be from former the Ilford Council, and some from Wanstead and Woodbridge. There is walnut panelling and, in the centre of the floor, a parquetry sunburst pattern by Hollis Bros. in walnut, and oak.Mayor's Parlour. This has a bow window and a plaster ceiling, by Waring & Gillow. Refreshment Room called the Lambourne Room, with Deco treatment. Bronze Boer war memorial over inner doors. It is signed by Sterling Dudley and E. Hirch.Members' Room. Oak-panelled. Public Hall. This was built for 700 people and is a, rectangular, space. There is a balcony and a stage with proscenium arch. In 1931-3 orchestra pit was added
193-207 Harrison Gibson’s furniture store. John Harrison Gibson opened his first store in Ilford 1902 and made furniture to a high standard. The store was badly damaged by fire in 1959 and replaced by a building by Forrest and Barber with a night club on the top floor. The store closed in 2004 and the building is in other use.
Ilford Bridge. This carries the main road from London to Colchester. The road crossing two bridges: one over the Aldersbrook and over the Roding with a causeway between them. They were called collectively 'Ilford Bridge'. In the middle ages it was maintained by a hermit who lived alongside and used donations from travellers. The medieval Roding Bridge was structure with three 13th pointed arches. In the late 16th the bridges were in such disrepair that Quarter Sessions were urged to repair them at the cost of the City of London. In 1759-64 the larger bridge was rebuilt in brick and was replaced in 1904. The bridge was the limit of commercial navigation on the Roding from 1765.
Aldersbrook bridge – this as described in 1858 as 'an ancient iron structure'. Aldersbrook diverted to join the Roding 100 yards. North of the new bridge and now runs parallel with Romford Road and the bridge was removed.
Ilford House Academy. School on the site of Ilford’s first school. The Academy was 1824-1870.
2-4 Beckett’s House. Office block from the early 1990s housing several NHS departments.
11 Mill House. BT building. This has 11 floors and was built in 2006.
16 Rose and Crown. This is one of several inns which were established where the Roman Road crossed the Roding and continued to Colchester. This was the nearest to the river. The pub was remodelled in 1897 to the designs of C Foulsham and H Riches. The elevation to Ilford Hill is almost unchanged from that date. It has been closed for some years. 16 Rose and Crown. The pub name symbolises the union of York and Lancaster in the marriage of Henry VI and Elizabeth of York
28 Roller skating rink which opened in 1909 and was 22,000 feet square feet. It could take 1,000 skaters and 2,000 spectators. It was used for roller hockey – and hosted the international championships and had the world’s top team. In 1917 During the Great War the site was used by Oakley Ltd made three Sopwith Triplanes there. After the war it was used as a Whist Drive Hall, and demolished 1939-1947.
39 Peachy House flats. This is a 19-storey former office building called the iCon Building, now converted to flats. London St. Andrews College – another private business school.
40 old Police Station now in other use. Built in 1906 by John Butler in red brick.
42 Conservative Club. Built in 1930. The Conservative - or the Constitutional – Club was formed about 1881, and previously use the old parsonage house attached to the hospital.
48 Chaplains House to the Hospital.
4a The Hospital - almshouses This is the Hospital of St Mary and St Thomas of Canterbury lying behind a high brick wall, it is the oldest building in the London Borough of Redbridge. It now consists of the Chapel plus almshouses on each side which were rebuilt to allow for road widening by F.W Speaight with W.J. Kieffer and H.S. Fleming in 1927. They are now converted into modern flats. It was founded in 1145 by Adelicia Abbess of Barking, as a hospice for 13 aged and infirm men. By 1219 it was admitting lepers. The Abbey of Barking was dissolved in 1539 but the Ilford Hospital Chapel had its own endowments and survived, probably because it was a chapel-of-ease as well as a hospice. It passed into the hands of the Crown who leased the mastership and this passed to a number of local gentry – originally and predominately the Fanshawe family but eventually passed to the Cecils. In 1982 the late Lord Salisbury handed the property to the diocese of Chelmsford and they set up the Abbess Adelicia Charity to take over the administration.
The Chapel was originally dedicated to St. Mary the Virgin. Later Mary Becket became Abbess and she arranged for the name of her brother, Thomas à Becket, to be added to the dedication as St.Thomas. The nave and chancel of the present building were built during the 14th. From the Middle Ages it was used for public worship as well as by the hospital inmates. In the 18th Bamber Gascoyne renovated the ChapelI in 1889-90, when the Lady Chapel, organ loft and vestry were added. The communion rail is early 20th and is of-wrought iron with concealed gas lighters along it. The outer windows are by Morris & Co., c. 1891 showing St Valentine, designed by Burne-Jones, in memory of Clement Ingleby of Valentines. It is still in use as a church.
The Master's house. The Hospital was governed by a Master, appointed by the Abbess, who had large house to the east which was demolished in 1905. It seems to have been used as a pub called the Green Man.
50 Natwest Bank. Corner building which has become a landmark.
51 – 69 Valentines. Office block built 1988 formerly used by British Gas – the police are among the current occupants. It replaced the buildings of the Biograph Theatres Ltd which had opened in 1911 and closed in 1921. It was later used as a discotheque and demolished in 1973.
71 Red Lion. The pub closed in 2005 and now seems to be the If Bar or Lush. It has also been recently called: Lloyds No. 1, Mainstreet, The Greene Castle, Blah-blahs, and the Rat & Carrot. It is a real 18th building but it was altered around.1850. In the 1870s it housed the local fire appliances - Leather hoses, for fire-fighting and in 1884 a fire-escape ladder.
The entrance to Ilford Station was originally at the back of the Red Lion pub. An access road to the station from Ilford Hill is now adapted as the station car park.
Pyruma Works, J.H.Sankey. Pyruma was a plastic fire cement with many industrial and construction applications as well as use as a modelling clay.
An old main road which linked London to Tilbury Fort leaving the Colchester road here and running south to Barking. It was at one time called Barking Lane.
Methodist church. A dispute among local Methodist church - the Reform controversy of 1849–51 - led to the establishment of a United Methodist Free chapel here and a church was built in 1867. In 1902 a new church was built. Designed by F. W.Dixon. The old church was used as a Sunday school until 1932 when a new hall was built. The church was bombing in the Second World War. The congregation then joined with a Methodist church needing in the High Road and in 1961 the current church was built here on Ilford Lane.
Hall. This was built as a Sunday school in 1932 to replace a previous building.
Uphall Pit. The site of the Uphall Pit was marked by a bronze plaque on the front wall of the Methodist Church Hall erected by the Borough Council in 1951 for the Festival of Britain. this was stolen and has been replaced. The Pit was between here and the Roding and produced fossils as from 1812. Bones were found at a depth of about 5 metres and it was the site of the discovery of the skull of the ‘Ilford mammoth’ in 1863 regarded as the most complete mammoth skull ever found in Britain. Another find in 1865 was the complete skull of a woolly rhinoceros and also the complete and perfect tusk of a very young elephant.
Empire Kinema. This was on the west side of the road north of Audrey Road. It was the first purpose built cinema operated by Alexander Bernstein, founder of the Granada chain. It opened in 1913 and had a stage and dressing rooms. In 1931, it became part of the Ben Jay circuit. In 1940, it was hit by a German incendiary bomb. It was later demolished and is now under the new road layout.
Clements Estate Pit. This was on the east side of Ilford Lane and being worked in 1812. It produced many fossils including two tusks and a mammoth thigh bone. The pit had closed before 1860.
Kenneth More Road
Kenneth More Theatre. Opened in 1974. This is Ilford's civic theatre, named after the actor, Kenneth More. The Studio Theatre is included for experimental work and was re-named the Cowan Studio in 2001. The Theatre has devoted half of its programming to local amateur companies. It was designed by the Redbridge Architect's Dept project architect: Jack Lewis. It has a copper-clad auditorium roof and a short fly tower.
The Exchange shopping centre. Set up by Chapman Taylor in 1988-91. It is the main retail shopping mall in the town centre. It has three levels of retail but its lower floor is divided into two separate parts. The entrance from Cranbrook Road is through a gigantic arch. Presented as an Indian temple. There was once a granite floating sphere and a wishing fountain which have gone.
104 Red Cow pub. Closed
London Underground Construction Academy. This is at Aldersbrook sidings and provides a training establishment for Crossrail. Opened in 2011.
Bridge over the Aldersbrook built as part of Crossrail.
Aldersbrook House. This was a British Railways staff hostel and training centre. Now gone
This is what was Oakfield Road now south of Winston Way with an underpass between
2-4 Mildmay Neighbourhood Learning Centre. The English Academy in Ilford Presbyterian church
Ilford Presbyterian church was set up in 1896, in an iron building. The permanent church was built in 1903. The organ, installed in 1905, had been built in 1820 for the church of St. Mary, Moorfields
South Essex Water Works. Both The East London and the South Essex Waterworks Companies had powers to supply water to Ilford. Mains were extended to Ilford during the 1870s and 80s and, they divided the district between them, the South Essex Company supplying the eastern part of the area. Buildings were erected here in 1905 and there was also a high chimney on the site.
Ilford Paper Mill, This business, which gave its name to Mill Street, appears to have been founded by William Simpson and Co., but later passed through the hands of several owners. Paper making was carried out here from c.1862 – c.1923.
Rail bridge over the road and a short siding for local coal merchants. Road under is in a tunnel
Ilford West Junction and signal box. The box closed in 1949.
Ursuline Academy. This is a Roman Catholic secondary school and sixth form for girls. It was originally Ilford Ursuline High School founded in 1903 by the Ursulines. Beginning in a rented house in Cranbrook Road where two Ursuline nuns taught. The premises expanded and a new school building was erected at the end of the garden facing Morland Road. The pupils moved into the new premises in 1908. Over the years, more buildings were added and a tennis court and an asphalted playground were added to the games facilities in what had been the garden. Under the 1944 Education Act the school acquired Direct Grant status but from 1979 it was necessary for fees to be levied from parents. The secondary school is now a four stream comprehensive Science College. The primary school is in Coventry Road.
Fire Station. A volunteer fire-brigade was formed in 1890 and in 1893 a fire-station was built here and a steam fire-engine bought
Central Library. Built as part of the Town Hall complex 1926-7 by Herbert Shaw, the Borough Engineer. It is now used as offices.
St Clements church, site. The church was built between 1889 and 1896 by the Cutts Brothers on land given by Mrs. Clement Ingleby of Valentines. In 1902 it was the main church in place of St.Mary's. It was a gothic style red-brick building and a bell-cote containing one bell. It was demolished in 1977
This was previously Uphall Road.
Was previously called Back Lane. In the 17th there were a few houses on the south side
57 Papermakers Arms aka The Sheepwalk Inn.
Mill House, Victor Wharf. This is now a development site but it seems latterly to have been use by waste and scrap dealers. A crane on the wharf was associated with a local brickworks
55 Sainsbury on the Britannia works site
60-70 former Britannia Music site development including 332 residential units in a series of blocks with a 23 storey landmark tower on the corner of Chapel Road and Ilford Hill. BBritannia Music Club (1969-2007) was a British mail-order company owned by PolyGram which sponsored the Brit Awards. The company was acquired by Universal Music Group as part of PolyGram in 1998, and closed in 2007
Britannia Works - Ilford Ltd., The firm which made photographic materials, was founded in 1879 by Alfred H. Harman, a professional photographer who was producing gelatino-bromide 'dry' plates. He came to Ilford because of the clean air and initially operated from a house in Cranbrook Road. He then rented cottages on the Clyde estate, where the Ilford Plate factory and head office were later located, and there the plates were coated and packed. It became a private limited company in 1891, and in 1898 a public company with a nominal capital of £38,000. In 1906 Col. Ivor Philipps became chairman and remained as such until his death in 1940 and was largely responsible for the progress of the firm. Between 1917 and 1929 Ilford acquired many rival companies paper, sold as 'Ilford P.O.P.', was made by the company from its early days and later the material for films. After the Second World War they extension into foreign markets. By 1954 the company had factories at Ilford, Brentwood, Leyton and Watford. The factor closed in 1976. The company later operated from Cheshire.
Recorded as Roding in the 16th which is from Roding in Essex – originally meaning a 'settlement of a man called Hroth’ . Before the 16th it was known as the ‘Hile’ .The river may have started as a melt water channel in the Ice Age. There are signs that it has tended to shift eastwards. From Ilford Bridge to the branching out of Back River the Roding runs fairly straight, forming the parish boundary throughout. This suggests that the wall that protects Little Ilford Levels to the west is of ancient origin. The wall against East Ham Marsh was certainly there in the 14th. Recently some of the westward meanders of the Roding have been occluded
Ilford Navigation. In order to facilitate navigation to Ilford from Barking some improvements were made to the river Roding. The navigation ran northwards for just over a mile and a half from Barking to Ilford. It was a successful concern until around the 1920's when traffic declined and It is not known when the last boat traded to Ilford – maybe in the 1930's. Since 1961 there has been a Barking and Ilford Navigation Company
A toll gate stood to the west of Ilford Bridge and a toll house on the northern side of the road survived until 1900 as the Little Wonder Coffee House.
This was once Havelock Road but renamed Station Road – the original Station Road s now part of
Bodger's department store established in 1890 and rebuilt here in 1914 as an arcade. The range facing Station Road with a screen of columns. The end to Cranbrook Road is a rebuilding, with an unattractive sloping corner.
Cranbrook Baptist Church
Part of the A118. This new stretch opened in 1985, running south and bypassing the town centre.
Pioneer Point, this replaced Pioneer Market. It consists of two interlinked towers of 31 floors built in 2011 by Empire Property Group.
Ilford Station. There was also a rear entrance open peak hours only, from which the London end of the platform can be reached via a footbridge which was rebuilt in 1978. This was added following an agreement with developer Cameron Corbett. A booking office here was closed in 1991 and a LNER passimeter removed
Barking and District Historical Society. Web site
Business Cavalcade of London
Brennand. Ilford to Shenfield
Cinema Theatres Association. Newsletter
Cinema Treasures. Web site
Closed Pubs. Web site
Clunn. The Face of London
Connor. Liverpool Street to Ilford
English Heritage. Web site
Friends of the Earth. Gasworks in London
Ilford Historical Society. Web site
Ilford Recorder. Web site.
Ilford Muslim Society. Web site
James. The Chemical Industry in Essex
London Borough of Redbridge. Web site
Lost Pubs. Web site
Nature Conservation in Newham
Pevsner and Cherry. Essex
Sabre Wiki Roaders Digest. Web site
Skyscraper News, Web site
St. Alban’s Church. Web site
Thames Basin Archaeology of Industry Group
Victoria County History. Essex