Hendon - Aircraft Museum
not edited or finsihed
Concrete and glass galleries of 1969-72 by Industrial Development Group Ltd. A
Battle of Britain Museum, next to the RAF Museum, 1977-8. Opened 1978. RAF Museum, Shop. Opened by Queen in 1972. 10 Acres of old Hendon airfield, things from First World War
Bomber Command Museum, 1983, by Anne Machin of Wimpey Architects.
Grahame-White Hangar. In two parts. The earlier and lower part, c. 1917 (originally one of a pair), is constructed with Belfast trusses, an inexpensive type of wide-span roof with bow- string trusses of timber, invented in Northern Ireland in the c19 and widely used during the First World War. The front row of brick, originally had sliding doors. The other part, of 1918, has four cross-braced steel roof trusses. Belfast truss roof provided a good, way of spanning the large area needed. Listed Grade II but once considered at risk. Earliest bays built 1915-16 as a hangar for the Graham White Aviation Co., later addition in 1918 planned for the manufacture of the Handley PV/1500 bomber.
Entrance Gates to the Grahame- White Aviation Co. Ltd are now at the entrance to the Museum.
Queens Building contains a very large chimneypiece in Renaissance style, possibly brought from Grahame-White's Aerodrome Club House, the College's original location.
Aeroville -A delightful formal square of terraced Neo-Georgian cottages for 300 employees of Hendon Aerodrome; 1917 by Herbert Matthews. Mansard roofs with pedimented dormers. Doric colonnades to the sides flanking the approach and to the centre opposite.
‘Copt Hall’ 1574, ‘Copidhall’ 1632 - hall or manor house with a high peaked roof'' from old English
A miniature new town, planned with a mixture of public and private housing for 10,000 people, on the site of the aerodrome runways. Estate built 1965-75 and named after Claude Grahame-White, the aircraft enthusiast and pioneer who opened Hendon Aerodrome in 1911 and in the same year started his aviation company here. The housing is by the GLC, with private and Ministry of Defence housing around the fringe; community buildings by Barnet Architect's Department. completed by 1975. long N-S central spine with tall buildings of six to seven storeys concentrated along a winding pedestrian central route.Remodelling by the Borough of Bamet from 1989 to 1995 created a new, more picturesque image: Collaboration between GLC, local authority and developers. boiler house. Land released by Ministry of Defence. Spine of shops to shield the rest from the M1 and to separate pedestrians and traffic.
Buildings, built together with the flats, ring the
changes by the use of angular forms, echoing the cranked line and materials of the brick-paved spine route. Near the
centre the route widens into an
Library, with shallow sloping roof and small projecting windows.
Community Centre, polygonal, with irregular projections and pyramid roof, set in a planted 'moat'.
Day Centre looks out through bay windows,
St. Augustine. 1971. By Biscoe & Stanton, 1971-5. Brick, polygonal, with lower offices attached.
St.Margaret Clitherow. RC 1970. Polygonal, with a tiled roof split to provide clerestory windows
Milestones of Flight. RAF Museum extension. Collection of classic aircraft. Innovative approach to aircraft display.
Grahame Page Way
Pillar box by A. Handyside & Co. Ltd. Derby & London. Foundry; Britannia Foundry and Engineering Works. Anonymous Louer posting aperture Large 19 in dia, 1884