Rushett

    This post is not finished, it has not been checked or edited


Ashtead Common

Coal Post. In order to help cover the costs of rebuilding after the Great Fire of 1666 the Corporation of London was allowed to levy a charge on all coal entering London. Subsequently there were a number of acts defining the boundaries of the area for which duty was charged until finally in 1861 the London Coal and Wine Duties Continuance Act redefined the London District as the Metropolitan Police District, Posts were set up to mark the boundary in accordance with this Act of Parliament of the 24th and 25th years of Queen Victoria's reign, chapter 42 of the Statute Book. The cast-iron posts bear the Corporation of London crest and the inscription 24 25 VIC CAP 42 and were originally placed wherever a road or track crossed the boundary. Different types of marker posts were often employed beside railways, canals and rivers. The iron posts were cast by Henry Gnssell at the Regents Canal Ironworks, Eagle Wharf, Hoxton; they are 6ft high of which 3-4ft is above ground. The duties continued to raise money for engineering projects in London until the formation of the London County Council and the passing of the London Coal Duties Abolition Act in 1889. south of Rushett Farm

Fairoak Lane

Sixty Acre Wood.  Cultivated in the 18th by ‘devonshiring’  pairing off the turf., burning it and using the ashes on the land.

Leatherhead Road

Byhurst farm. Plans to build an airport here did not happen.

Rushett Farm.  Has a landing strip. marked as Rushet Farm on the Ordnance Survey map of 1819

Silverglad Business Park

Telegraph Hill.  Beacon point for the Navy’s London to Portsmouth telegraph

Malden Rushett

Old manor name with reference to rushes growing nearby.  Russhet 1548, that is 'place growing with rushes', from Old English  Heavily wooded area. Until 1844 this was part of Malden parish but was then transferred to Chessington.  Southern Railway planned to build a town here but were stopped by the Second World War.

Iron mission with improving lectures and cottages.

Rushett Lane

Proposed extension to line from Chessington. The site of the next station. Maiden Rushett, but of course this was not to be. Had it been constructed, it would have stood on the north side of Rushett Lane, and no doubt boasted the distinctive 'Chisarc' canopies, featured throughout the branch.

Pillbox.  North side 500 metres east of Malden Rushett.  A hexagonal brick and concrete structure, with two gun embrasures. Now used as a refuge for bats.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South Norwood

Bromley by Bow

Phillibrook Stream - Leytonstone