London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
This post is not finished, it has not been checked or edited
On the dark twin
Claremont House.It was the first house built and owned
by Sir John Vanbrugh 1708 and on
a different site. In 1714 he passed it
to Thomas Pelham-HoIles, Duke of
Newcastle and Marquess of Clare, who renamed it ‘Claremont’.On the death of
the Marquess in 1768 the property
was bought by Lord Clive of India, who spent over £100,000 in building a new house on the hill and laying out the
grounds.This house, finished in 1772
with the involvement of Henry Holland
and the young John Soane, is said
to be the only complete surviving work of 'Capability' Brown, the landscape
gardener.Clive never enjoyed his new
property and he died in London. It was bought by the nation 1816 as a
palace for Princess Charlotte, who died there.Her husband Prince Leopold stayed
on until he became the first King of the Belgians.In
1882 the house became the private
property of Queen Victoria, who had enjoyed girlhood holidays here with her uncle Leopold and spent every birthday
here from her accession (1837)
until 1849.In 1848 it was the home of
the exiled French Imperial family and Louis Phillippe died here in 1850 and his queen in 1866. In 1882
Claremont was a wedding present for the Duke of Albany – he died two years later
but the Duchess remained here until her death in 1922.Their daughter, Princess Alice, was born
here.It is now owned by National
Trust and is a girls ' boarding school.It has a Classical façade and an Extensive basement area for the servants.
Landscape garden, twenty years older
than Stourhead, is the combined work of Vanbrugh, Bridgeman, Kent, and
Brown.Under the King of the Belgians it
was Mackintosh.On the Lion's foreleg.One
of the earliest surviving English landscape gardens; begun by Vanbrugh and
Bridgeman before 1720. Vanburgh laid out formal gardens within massive walled
defences; Bridgeman converted the walled parterre into a ha ha.It was extended and naturalized by Kent who
designed the lake and cascade and Brown. Lake; island with pavilion; grotto and
turf amphitheatre; viewpoints and avenues.
Much of the park has been broken up
into building plots.
Amphitheatre is the only surviving example of its type.
Designed by Bridgeman.
Gateway and lodges 18th-century by Henry Holland.Ample and reticent
Icehouse in the park
the grounds to Vanburgh
Gothic retreat.Converted into a chapel after Princess
Temple on an island on the lake.
Obelisk to commemorate Princess
Tower. 1717.The first true
folly.By Vanbrugh. Restored.Enclosed
by the woods
Original house stood at the foot of the hill.East of the present
mansion, but all that survives of it is an ornamental tower, formerly
the garden house, and the enclosing wall
of the garden.
Milestone distanced to Newcastle
House.Has probably been moved.
Walls of the gardens 600 ft long.Astonishing, by Vanburgh
White Cottage was the Gardener’s Cottage.
Stables with clock turret
Claremont Woods National Trust, laid out by William Kent about 1730, with an
enchanting lake andany fine
trees and rhododendrons.
Home Farm House.Must be by
Vanburgh.White brick and walled garden.
Milepost in south side of A3 SW of Claremont House.Square.
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by
Phillibrook Stream The Phillibrook, or Fillebrook, comes through this area and flows south west Post to the west Leyton Post to the south Leytonstone Post to the east Wanstead - Golf course and basin A12 Section through Leytonstone opened in 1999 as the Hackney-M11 link road Aylmer Road. London City Mission . Building dates from 1885. It was later a clothing factory Browning Road This was Back Lane which went from the High Road to the Forest. Also known as Green Man Lane and in 1893 as Park Road. It became Browning Road in 1900 Cottages built by Lord Wellesley, probably in the 1840’s, to house the workforce which serviced local big houses. 24 North Star . Built as a 'beer house by Lord Wellesley. It was originally two cottages knocked together and first referred to in 1858. There was an off-sales serving hatch. It is either named after a famous steamship or famous train or a ship which an early landlord sailed on. Henry Reynolds Gardens . This is a small park n