London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
This post is not finished, it has not been checked or edited
144 King's Arms
New Post Office Exchange, replaced the Station Road exchange on 20 July
1932 and the system reverted to manual operation on that date. It was restored to
automatic working in October 1965 and is still in use.
Epsom Waterworks. Established in 1853 on its present site in East Street.
Epsom Gas Co. was opened in 1839, with Epsom racecourse being among the
earliest customers. The works was situated on the site now occupied by the
SEGAS distribution station. In 1877 the name was changed to Epsom and Ewell Gas
Company Demand grew so that by 1912 there were three gasholders on the site. In 191 3 the organisation passed to the
Wandsworth Company and the last retort house was built in 1925. Although
retained on a stand-by basis, the works ceased as a production unit in 1933
Almshouses.Built by local developer John Livingstone in
1703 for poor widows. Rebuilt on the same site in 1886
Cottage Hospital moved here in 1877
Infants School built 1893.
destroyed in Second World War bombing
County School for Boys opened here in 1938 on a field bought as a playing
Stone and Cos. Pottery .The Company
occupied a number of clay extraction and manufacturing sites between Epsom Road
and the LSWR line, and between East Street and the LB&SCR line. Sidings ran
into the sites from both lines. Owned by Stone & Co, the works commenced
operations in about 1830 and manufactured bricks and other earthenware products
in large quantities, serving local builders and those of the tide of housing
estates encroaching on the Borough in the expansion of Greater London. The
brickworks finally closed in 1938. Used in part during and after the Second
World War as allotment gardens, and post war as a Civil Defence training area,
the Kiln Lane site has since been developed as an industrial and commercial
zone with some housing. The other sites are also covered by housing
developments of various periods.
A windmill existed near the boundary between the parishes of Epsom and
Ewell as can be seen from the names given to local roads -Windmill Avenue Mill
Road -and Windmill Bridge. The precise date of its construction is unknown but
records indicate that the site was bought in about 1745. Two are known to have
existed.Operations ceased in 1883 and
the mill became derelict by 1895. Thoughts of restoring it were abandoned on
grounds of cost, and it was demolished about 1900.
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
River Lea/Bow Creek The Lea winds itself generally southwards towards the Thames TQ 39505 81448 Canning Town on the Essex bank of Lea/Bow Creek. This was, and is, a heavily industrialised area together with a very down market housing area with markets, shops, cinemas, pubs and many charitable and missionary organisations. In the 2000s public transport has been transformed and much housing renewed, and it is an area in a great deal of change. Post to the west Poplar Post to the south Leamouth and Dome Post to the east Canning Town, Butchers Road Post to the north West Ham Station Appleby Road The road is named after a local ARP warden who was killed during the Blitz. A pre-war suburban ideal is demonstrated in this West Ham estate. Barking Road It was built by the Commercial Road Turnpike Trust from the East India Docks eastwards. Now the A124 it formed part of the original A13 before the building so the East Ham and Barking Bypass in 1928. It was widened as part o
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by