this post is not finshed
Post to the eaat Thames Tributary – River Roding - Woodford Bridge
Post to the west River Ching Woodford Green and Hale End
1968 council estate
Area of a pond which used to flood the area. Moved in 1820.
Modest with two matching parades of c. 1900, fussily decorated
Bank with bowed window.
Grand suburban mansions of the 1890s.
34 well-handled Old English style, gabled with a big mullioned stair window at the back, is by the expert in Elizabethan architecture, J.A. Gotch, 1894.
Post Office with mullioned windows and busy Edwardian detail.
8 is an C18 timber-framed house with weather boarded upper floor, built as a butcher's shop; pilastered shop-front of c. 1840
St George’s Church
The Eastern Counties Railway line of 1856 cuts across the old lane which linked Woodford Green to Woodford Bridge. The level crossing was replaced by a brutal subway;
Woodford Station. 22nd August 1856. Between South Woodford and Buckhurst Hill. Terminus of line from Roding Valley on the Central Line. Opened by the Eastern Counties Railway. This was a plain two-storey house with bracketed eaves and late Georgian-style windows. In 1892 a new entrance was provided with a booking office and a canopy on the up side in response to increased local middle class housing. In 1947 it became part of the Central Line and it was electrified. A Level crossing closed and the 1980s a booking hall for London Underground was built.
goods yard used as a car park after 1947
Formerly a road of Victorian Gothic mansions. Much of the side was cleared by the council for comprehensive redevelopment from 1966.
Wilfred Lawson Temperance Hotel, 1883, Andrew Jonston used by UDC and then nurses training centre
Anworth Close, an interesting example of novel planning: an unusual low-rise pedestrian layout with tightly grouped clusters of four butterfly-plan houses, each with distinctive circular window, by Derek Stow Associates, 1967.
Telephone Exchange discreetly Neo-Georgian 1938, large additions behind.
Redbridge Conservation Areas Report
Pevsner, East London
Victoria County History