London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
This post is not finished, it has not been checked or edited
Site of gravel pit where Joseph Denby built a cottage in
Hummocky ground from abandoned pits excavated for road
Cobham fold was a postern gate for the Tudor deerpark.
Fairmile Farm.Owned by John
Southey, 15th Lord Somerville.Inventor of a number of farm implements.
Windmill in the
early 19th near the site of the present hotel.
The Fairmile stretch was the site of cycle racing in the
1870s. It is also where an AA man was prosecuted for warning motorists of a
police speed trap.
16 mile stone
opposite junction with Fairmile Road.Incorporated into a chain link fence. 18in high with distances on it.
Fairmile Hotelsimilar to the other.
Built by Dr.William Anderson
Fairmile Cottage.Invicta Cars
started by Noel Macklin.Later he
started Fairmile Engineering which imported Chassis from the USA.firm made Railton car-using chassis delivered
from Chiswick and bodywork made in Ealing and Hanwellin 1930s.In ther 1930s Railton Motors was sold to the US Hudson Motors and the
works made Fairmile motor gunboats. Later taken over by the Ministry of
Defence. Presented with the bell from HMS Cobham.
Gate Lodge was built at the same time as the main house for the gatekeeper and
his family (see photo left). The original wrought iron gate has been restored,
however many other gates were melted down to make equipment in World War II
arranger's romantic walled garden. Topiary and garlanded cisterns around
house); circular lawn surrounded by borders designed for droughttolerance; hot garden with railway sleeper
feature; gravel bed; dovecote; bee alcoves; sorbus lutescens avenue, bog
garden, paving and pots.
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by
Phillibrook Stream The Phillibrook, or Fillebrook, comes through this area and flows south west Post to the west Leyton Post to the south Leytonstone Post to the east Wanstead - Golf course and basin A12 Section through Leytonstone opened in 1999 as the Hackney-M11 link road Aylmer Road. London City Mission . Building dates from 1885. It was later a clothing factory Browning Road This was Back Lane which went from the High Road to the Forest. Also known as Green Man Lane and in 1893 as Park Road. It became Browning Road in 1900 Cottages built by Lord Wellesley, probably in the 1840’s, to house the workforce which serviced local big houses. 24 North Star . Built as a 'beer house by Lord Wellesley. It was originally two cottages knocked together and first referred to in 1858. There was an off-sales serving hatch. It is either named after a famous steamship or famous train or a ship which an early landlord sailed on. Henry Reynolds Gardens . This is a small park n